• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

CuteVixen

Hazel
Hiya I've been working on my first successful fursuit (the others failed cos I found the bucket method hard) and I was wondering where you guys get your buckram? I'm a British furry so I may not know the American stores well, and I pay in £ pounds. I did find buckram here but the thing is, the postage is like super pricey :< so I was wondering what kind of buckram is used for fursuits and where I can get it in the UK? Thanks! ^w^
I'm very new here and rarely use FurAffinity, please be nice okay

VX666

The Foxy Goddess
That's about the best place I could find for buckram.

Export regulations deive up the shipping costs internationally, not much you can do outside of finding a dedicated export retailer.

PS, the bucket method works for some designs, such as anime and 80s Tony style, it all depends on what you are trying to go for.

What about a Send-Pal?
It's like a penpal in another country who sends you objects instead of letters. You can sometimes find someone like this who, if they are out shopping all the time for things, they don't mind picking up an extra one of "X" for you too, and then popping it into the post at "exact cost" where like, you would paypal them the exact cost of the item, plus the exact cost of the postage. They don't profit off of you, but then, if there is something where you are, you are offering to do the same thing for them in return.

I bring it up because I often do this for dolls and toys like Basic Fun My Little Pony Classics & Europe.
I'm shopping for myself all the time, so it takes literally 3 seconds to pick up a 2nd or 3rd toy and just buy it at the same time I buy mine.
A buckram is flat too, you could probably fold it up into a manila envelope or something too to make it post cheaper. I can't imagine places like JoAnn Fabrics Michaels or Hobby Lobby charging more for a Buckram than that specialty place you link to. The problem bit would be the postage/figuring out what way is cheapest (about which I have no tips because everything I've sent is big/square/box but I do think flat/envelope goes cheaper even if it is a bit heavy)

Keefur

aka Cutter Cat
You might try needlepoint cloth. When you paint it, don't brush the paint on. Pat it on or airbrush it on. If you brush it, the fibers scrape the paint off the brush and clog the pores. Also, paint the inside of the buckram with a flat black. It prevents light bounce back and makes vision much better.

CuteVixen

Hazel
Thanks for the advice everyone! :3
You might try needlepoint cloth. When you paint it, don't brush the paint on. Pat it on or airbrush it on. If you brush it, the fibers scrape the paint off the brush and clog the pores. Also, paint the inside of the buckram with a flat black. It prevents light bounce back and makes vision much better.
I'll try and remember that, thanks :3 Also I didn't have any luck finding Needlepoint cloth so far, but I did find something called tapestry canvas! Would any of yous recommend that too?

Keefur

aka Cutter Cat
Thanks for the advice everyone! :3

I'll try and remember that, thanks :3 Also I didn't have any luck finding Needlepoint cloth so far, but I did find something called tapestry canvas! Would any of yous recommend that too?

If it is a stiff open weave cloth, it should work. If you want any further advice, just drop me a line.

CuteVixen

Hazel
If it is a stiff open weave cloth, it should work. If you want any further advice, just drop me a line.
Okay! ^w^ So I asked Amazon a question about it and they said that it's stiff, flexible, and that you can see through it. I'm gonna go experiment and buy it :3

Thanks for the help everyone!

Keefur

aka Cutter Cat
OK. Good luck with your project.

Water Draco

Next LondonFurs?? Please stay tuned
A Google for "buckram fabric uk" will show up a number of suppliers.

Although this is something that you should be able to find in fabric/sewing shops around the UK as it is often used by people when first learning embroidery.

Some will supply samples for a cost but may well be worth getting samples before taking the plunge on purchasing a whole lot of fabric.

When personally importing products into the UK you need to keep in mind that on top of the cost of the item and the shipping cost, if you are over the duty limit you will have to pay customs charges and VAT which is applied to the item cost including shipping. https://www.gov.uk/goods-sent-from-abroad/tax-and-duty

Last edited: