• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Question about Tails

Zara the Hork-Bajir

Hey just looking to see what people generally use to fill a tail once it has been built? I made myself a quick tail to get some practice sewing and used some old rags to stuff it, but I find that they always end up settling further to the bottom and leave the base almost empty. Should I have filled it more or use more of a solid form foam to fill it?

Kellan Meig'h

Kilted Luthier
Probably you will want to use a lightweight Polyfil fiber stuffing. You can buy it at a fabric store, Amazon or Wally*Mart.

Mambi

Fun loving kitty cat
Hey just looking to see what people generally use to fill a tail once it has been built? I made myself a quick tail to get some practice sewing and used some old rags to stuff it, but I find that they always end up settling further to the bottom and leave the base almost empty. Should I have filled it more or use more of a solid form foam to fill it?

I've found for a more natural bounce (in feline tails anyway) you have to not fill it at all, but rather have a nice tube core or some other rolled-method of forming it. Stuffing shifts by nature, but a good core is uniform throughout and doesn't try to hold any shape at all, so it moves as you do.

That obviously doesn't work in some tail styles though...just my experiences...others will vary. <smile>

Ashwolves5

Miss Fluffy Bottom
I use a polyester fiberfill for regular tails that just a more on the straight side and are small or average sized. its its bigger or shaped like a curled tail then I do carved foam for it.