• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Question About Usernames

tato

Just some spud
Hey! So I was wondering, if you disable an account, does that make the username available to be registered again?
The reason being, I want to register for a username related to my branding, only to find that I used that I already registered with that username before but with an underscore and I basically. want to take the underscore out XD Do you know if it's possible to disable it and just reregister with the same name, minus the underscore?

I figured I'd ask here instead of Support because it's not really a site glitch or troubleshooting problem. Just curious!

Drayk

I've wondered this myself. Staff will be able to answer this for sure but if I remember correctly the way that the website is designed it doesn't allow the editing of already existing account names at all. They're kind of a permanent data entry unless that has changed since last I was aware.

Unless they inform you otherwise, your only likely option is to just "Create" a new account that doesn't have the Underscore in the name and just pretend the previous account didn't exist.

tato

Just some spud
I've wondered this myself. Staff will be able to answer this for sure but if I remember correctly the way that the website is designed it doesn't allow the editing of already existing account names at all. They're kind of a permanent data entry unless that has changed since last I was aware.

Unless they inform you otherwise, your only likely option is to just "Create" a new account that doesn't have the Underscore in the name and just pretend the previous account didn't exist.
I did try to create a new account, and that's how I found out I even had the one with the underscore in the first place. Apparently I can't create the account "Thirdpotato" because I already created" third_potato" and it doesn't seem to differentiate the two.

Drayk

Just did a glance over on my Watched by list for other users that have Underscores in their name. Yeah it seems like that website doesn't place the Underscore in the USERNAME URL while showing it as part of the Display name on the Profile Page

Thus you have user/thirdpotato as a url, but on your profile info it will show "third_potato". If by any luck the system just considers the _ as a display name that's seperate from the URL Entry then hopefully staff may be able to make that change for you.

Fingers crossed in that case then! I hope you get a reply soon from staff and that they're able to make that edit.

N

Norros_

Hey! So I was wondering, if you disable an account, does that make the username available to be registered again?
Nope.
At least my old accounts is still exists although it is no longer available

quoting_mungo

If the account hasn't been used to do anything, staff MIGHT be able to help if you open a ticket and ask nicely. Don't count on it - it would require database edits - but there's a tiny, tiny chance. If you've lost your login information, they should definitely be able to help you recover the account (and :iconthirdpotato: etc will work as well as :iconthird_potato:, for the record - I've seen a number of people linking my profile without the underscore and it works fine).