• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Question: How to RP?

Beepsi

Yo,

Lately I have had a sudden interest to maybe try to do RP, Roleplay, but I don't know where to go or to start. Yes there is the Discords, these forums, and many more, yet I'm honestly intimidated by of all this; not sure where to start. Also, I am not too much of a social internet lad; I just usually post some random art, lurketh in thy chatrooms, where I may speak but not often, and that is it. Heck, even online friends, to me, is a bit alien; not used to it.

The only true aces I have, when it comes RP, is maybe some fancy writing (which I blame essays for), improvisation (which is why I really love and is the main spark to try some RP), and maybe voice act (also rooted in past experiences with improvisation).

Thanks for reading this, and hopefully the future help, and have a nice morning/evening,
~Beepsi

he.png
Enjoy this picture of a wild lizard that was slain in the cool hit Capcom game, DMC5.

Mambi

Fun loving kitty cat
Yo,

Lately I have had a sudden interest to maybe try to do RP, Roleplay, but I don't know where to go or to start. Yes there is the Discords, these forums, and many more, yet I'm honestly intimidated by of all this; not sure where to start. Also, I am not too much of a social internet lad; I just usually post some random art, lurketh in thy chatrooms, where I may speak but not often, and that is it. Heck, even online friends, to me, is a bit alien; not used to it.

The only true aces I have, when it comes RP, is maybe some fancy writing (which I blame essays for), improvisation (which is why I really love and is the main spark to try some RP), and maybe voice act (also rooted in past experiences with improvisation).

Thanks for reading this, and hopefully the future help, and have a nice morning/evening,
~Beepsi

View attachment 111833
Enjoy this picture of a wild lizard that was slain in the cool hit Capcom game, DMC5.

Happy to help out in your practice, if you want to practice in the PM's, feel free to drop a line! <the cat waves, and scampers back into the woods laughing>

TyraWadman

The Brutally Honest Man-Child
I can't really figure out how to put all of my experience in a short post, but some things to be mindful about that will probably make people appreciate your RP even more:

Don't always make it about yourself. I'm not saying you can never have a narcissistic character, or maybe your OC is just too naive to pick up on their emotions, but don't just make every post with your OC responding, and the rest of the lines monologuing about your OC, like the other character is supposed to be psychic or something.

Example:

A: *Walks up and offers you a drink*
B: "Thanks." Edgelord Mcpooface flashed a sad smile as he gripped the neck of the bottle. It had been years since he was able to enjoy something like this. It was 1952 since the attack on the E.G.O where he lost his brothers. He'd acquired a bajillion scars, so many scars, that he basically didn't exist, and was just a floating nose, but he was also psychic and it was okay. He got those psychic abilities during the war, when he was captured and used on experiments. They succeeded, and it was their downfall, because Edgelord Mcpooface secretly begged and shit himself in so much fear that it made the scientists uncomfortable and so they released him.

Try to keep details relevant and don't just automatically assume the other person is 100% interested in learning the tragedy. Instead describe them as feeling uncomfortable or tense, leaving an 'invitation' to poke and prod the character for answers in their next post, if interested.

Practice/Expand vocabulary. Furcadia was terrible for this. Always the same people/cliques using the same vocabulary and similar phrases. Pools. Orbs. Oculars instead of eyes. Egh... Nothing wrong with using a word but damn, they were straight up plagiarizing half of the time.

Don't be afraid to make mistakes. On-the-spot writing can be difficult. Don't beat yourself up if you feel like your post is garbage. RP can be a great way to flesh out and develop characters further!

Moderate communication. Get the basics of what you and your RP partners are gonna get into. But don't go over specifics to the point where you've basically plotted out the entire story. XD

Tag what RP styles you prefer (when you become more experienced). This saves people a lot of time when looking for RP.

- Casual, one-liners *glomps* ^w^

- Semi-Para (I see this as Quality over Quantity, typically 1 paragraph minimum.)

- Para (Paragraphs, commonly 1 page minimum in word documents in a size 10 font, paragraphs that compliment the one or two lines of movement/dialogue) <--- nothing wrong with this one if you can pull it off, but most people (i find) tend to get carried away with it, and are almost always geared towards romance/drama.

That being said, especially if you're into furry, you could try Furcadia. Create an avatar, explore worlds, or design/construct your own. Or just go cray cray with text RP!

Kuroserama

Just a fox.
A: *Walks up and offers you a drink*
B: "Thanks." Edgelord Mcpooface flashed a sad smile as he gripped the neck of the bottle. It had been years since he was able to enjoy something like this. It was 1952 since the attack on the E.G.O where he lost his brothers. He'd acquired a bajillion scars, so many scars, that he basically didn't exist, and was just a floating nose, but he was also psychic and it was okay. He got those psychic abilities during the war, when he was captured and used on experiments. They succeeded, and it was their downfall, because Edgelord Mcpooface secretly begged and shit himself in so much fear that it made the scientists uncomfortable and so they released him.

I'm sorry to butt-in but... This made my day.

Jaredthefox92

Banned
Banned
Yo,

~Beepsi

View attachment 111833

Perhaps I can help, I am a vet at roleplaying. It depends on what type you're wanting. I would try to keep it clean and start off small, maybe join one or have one with an open theme. Too often unless you find something that someone wants trying to go into specifics can become haphazardly.

MaelstromEyre

Slippery When Wet
Yo,

~Beepsi
Really depends on the style of RP that interests you. I don't care for roleplay in DMs, the whole "**snuggles you**" kind of thing, I prefer ongoing RP/storytelling.

I've been lucky to find what I enjoy on the Second Life grid, in medieval/fantasy themed areas dedicated to roleplay and character development, with their own lore and in depth character backstories, cultures, etc. Some of the people I started RPing with 11 years ago are still active. It adds to the immersion of RP when each character is a 3D avatar, designed by the person playing it, so they are all unique.

Keep in mind that not everyone has the same RP goals or interests. Some prefer single-scene RPs, others like to have ongoing RPs between the same characters with storyline and character development. Just try some different things, see what feels best for you.

My character on SL:

Attachments

• MagicInTheWater_001.jpg
    MagicInTheWater_001.jpg
    267.6 KB · Views: 16

Kinguyakki

Alignment: Chaotic Stupid
I can't stand "chatty" RP, where people use asterisks to "*pounce and cuddle*"
I especially don't like it when someone I have never talked to before tries to initiate RP by DM.
Keep in mind that, if you're doing any kind of real-time RP, be ready for your turn. I've been in online RPs where we have a post order, and one of the players decides to go do something or browse the Internet while they're waiting for their next turn to post, then they take forever to type out their turn. Also, best to find out what types of posts the others like to use. Some people get into really longwinded, descriptive posts (para-RP) and expect everyone else to do the same. That can make for REALLY long RP when there are several people involved.

Jackpot Raccuki

Fucking Racon
Type single word replies to every post, and turn that pesky spellcheck off.

Your partner will find this very impressive, so impressive that they may stop replying completely.
Don't forget the most important part.
Asking them for RP with something like: "hi rp?"