• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Question to furry's with Solid eye colors (only color no markings in the eye)

Chaossal

like all white, black, purple ect..

When you commision and get art from people do you ever have the trouble of people changing you're eyes to normal looking eyes?
Like adding a pupil, adding a line for a iris or even adding whites to your eyes?

My fursona has solid one color eyes and people are always doing these things or even giving her a random eye color because they think all the eyeball examples on her ref is with her eyes closed and the color is just eye shadow -_-

So I was wondering if these things happen to others with similar eyes. And if you're always called picky when you ask them to fix it.
Do you think its picky for me to ask them to fix it when they add things in my eyes my sona doesn't have when I provide a ref that shows everything correctly? And every time I do get them to fix it they always do it really sloppy, like they just angrily scribble a blotch on my face and don't even add eye shine like they had on the wrong eyes.

What are yalls thoughts on this?

Last edited:

DrDingo

Moved to phoenix.corvidae.org with the others
My fursona has solid one color eyes and people are always doing these things or even giving her a random eye color because they think all the eyeball examples on her ref is with her eyes closed and the color is just eye shadow -_-
With all due respect, why in hell have you not put a note on your ref sheet to say that?

DrDingo

Moved to phoenix.corvidae.org with the others
In all honesty, I enjoy seeing how different artists interpret my sona. Makes the whole experience more fun.
Hell, sometimes if they do something a little different to what I expected, it ends up being great!

See this avatar of mine? Originally, my sona had a black left ear, no tie, and his goggles covered half his face. But I like this version much better.

Maugryph

I think is because the eyes are where the character's personality is, characters with no eyes feel like they have no soul. If there is indeed a description on the ref or it was put in the decription then there no excuse for a commissioned artist not to draw your character correctly and you have every right to ask the artist to fix it.if not, then it is up to the artist's discretion to fix it

Chaossal

I have ref because I LIKE the way my sona looks q-q people should not take peoples money and then just change the characters markings to what they think looks better. Its not there sona its mine and if I give someone money to draw her its not change her however you want. What if someone drew you with rainbow eyes because they thought that looked better? or gave you white and black stripes?

Chaossal

I think is because the eyes are where the character's personality is, characters with no eyes feel like they have no soul. If there is indeed a description on the ref or it was put in the decription then there no excuse for a commissioned artist not to draw your character correctly and you have every right to ask the artist to fix it.if not, then it is up to the artist's discretion to fix it

My ref does say it on both the feral and anthro ref and she does have eyes there just black. And she can still look soulful with black eyes take some of these for example
http://www.furaffinity.net/view/13106299/
http://www.furaffinity.net/view/9198244/
http://www.furaffinity.net/view/9040347/

Maugryph

I have ref because I LIKE the way my sona looks q-q people should not take peoples money and then just change the characters markings to what they think looks better. Its not there sona its mine and if I give someone money to draw her its not change her however you want. What if someone drew you with rainbow eyes because they thought that looked better? or gave you white and black stripes?

Like I said. If you have it in the decription or on the ref sheet and the artist does not draw it correctly, you have a right to ask the artist to fix it. However being professional and polite about it is the best way. if you get a pissy at at a artist when he goofs up (in which we all do, we are only human) how motivated to you think they will be to fix it?

Oh I see. I understand now.My bad, the bead eyes are classic, I don't understand why the artist you commission wont draw them. very strange.

Last edited:

Chaossal

Like I said. If you have it in the decription or on the ref sheet and the artist does not draw it correctly, you have a right to ask the artist to fix it. However being professional and polite about it is the best way. if you get a pissy at at a artist when he goofs up (in which we all do, we are only human) how motivated to you think they will be to fix it?

But i'm never pissy about it q-q i'm always very polite when I ask
take this from a few months ago for example http://www.furaffinity.net/view/14506437/
where then my and my mates stalker and her proceed to talk bad about me and other stuff in german >->

Last edited:

Bonobosoph

4 hands good 2 hands bad ;)
Not mine, BUT, I'm fairly particular about markings and physical traits and things so I can understand where you're coming from. Eyes are quite an important feature too, so while white eyes gives "soul" or whatever, it's just as imperitive that the individual sona is expressed with its eyes!
Mine has amber-brown irises, dark brown schlera. Always. Not white, blue, or anything silly like that. And I'm kinda particular abour the pinky bit around her mouth or the amount of hair in any given place blah blah. There are a couple of subtle differences on my current commish but I ignored it because I liked the result and I didn't want to be awkward, the ears are flatter than usual and her chest is flatter too than what I usually picture. But it was a really good painting so differences are forgiven!

Last edited:

funky3000

Galactic Overlord
I'm a little picky about keeping original to the character as well, but I won't complain.

Like back when Alef-GP drew Valthera for me. He added spikes to her tail, when it is supposed to be smooth fur.

And it was a free sketch too, not like a commission or anything. Further adds to the reason not to complain. I mention it, but I certainly will not complain. Especially with free art or gift art, or similar.

Now if I was paying for it, I'd make as sure as possible that I give small details like that to the artist, and ask to keep it original to character. I'd be a little more stern than with gift art, like "Its nice, but the tail was supposed to be smooth, sorry if it bothers you". So not like harsh criticism or a whiny complaint.

You might say I'm a little OCD with my characters.

You'd be right.

(Psst Trekkie, Valthero has a dark green, torn cape on his back, fix the gif or I'll kill your family! >:v)

Mr. Sparta

Scale Face
Solid eyes can be really cool if you want to give your character an otherworldly or demonic appeal. I like doing them.

WolfNightV4X1

King of Kawaii; That Token Femboy
Try adding 'full black sclera/no pupils' to get the meaning across

If this is a problem be VERY specific in the beginning, let them know that's how you want it. Plus, if they do mess up it shouldnt be hard to blot out the eyes as completely black anyways

funky3000

Galactic Overlord
Solid eyes can be really cool if you want to give your character an otherworldly or demonic appeal. I like doing them.

mcFcWmK.png

Zeitzbach

Taste purple
I find it funny you spend the time to draw paws and stuffs but not how the eyes should look even with light reflecting on it.

Chaossal

I find it funny you spend the time to draw paws and stuffs but not how the eyes should look even with light reflecting on it.

i'm pretty sure its easy to tell that is a eye though and not eyeshadow and that I don't have my sonas eyes closed in EVERY drawing and that her eyes are not blue or any other color. and that they don't have any other markings in them. Its a drawing from two years ago and its a eye ball people already know that when there is light you add shine and when they first draw it with one of the incorrect things from above they have it.

Chaossal

Try adding 'full black sclera/no pupils' to get the meaning across

If this is a problem be VERY specific in the beginning, let them know that's how you want it. Plus, if they do mess up it shouldnt be hard to blot out the eyes as completely black anyways

I think i'll do this when I make her new ref :3 Thanks for the suggestion!~
on all my refs of her I have it very specific that it IS her eye and that yes it is ALL black @-@ I even have lots of views showing it o-o I really don't understand how lots of people keep making these mistakes so much, but I can draw better now than two years ago so i'm just going to re-do my refs and I guess I will have to also draw how they DON'T look too with X's because drawing just how they DO look seems not to get across v-v'

BadRoy

Snake awakens
My latest character actually has all black eyes.
I've commished an artist and I just made sure to note that his eyes are "all black, no pupil, iris, or sclera."

But I agree with DrDingo I find it fun to see how different artists interpret my characters. See what works for them.

I'd say just make it clear to any artists you commission that you want them to stay "On model."

Aulendra

Nothing wrong with characters that have solid eyes with no visible pupil. It can convey something different - red eyes scream evil, white eyes for a divine one, etc. I agree that if someone adds pupils against your wishes, you have a right to ask them to change that.