• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Questions about Americans

Nepharite

the outsider
Hi there!

I'm not really active in FA, mostly here just for viewing art rather than using the forum but there is something you could help me a bit.
I'm European (Hungarian, more specificly), I've never been to the US, I don't have any American friends, so I need you (as far as I know, most of you guys come from the US) to answer some - possibly trivial - questions I have in mind, about you, US-dwellers. I'm mostly interested in your personal opinions to get a glimpse how you perceive your nation and fellow-americans. Please, do not get offended by my questions, I'm not here to flame.

So, the first round:

1 - ABOUT NAMES
Do all of you have a middle name? I mean having two surnames are present or even quite usual elsewhere too, but it seems to me that middle names in the US (whether used, used as initials or not used) are sooo fucking widespread, almost a rule without exception. Why is that (if I'm right)?

2 - ABOUT DEMONSTRATING
You guys seem like people always demonstrating for or against something, all the freakin' time, with bumper stickers, signs in your yards and windows. Maybe it's just a stereotype, but you seem to chant your opinions about political/religious/civil rights issues loudly, even knowing that big guys won't give a shit about it.
Is it true, and if it is, why?

3 - ABOUT PATRIOTISM
Maybe it's again stereotypes and the mistakes of media portreyal, but you seem overly patriotic, you know, all that "proud to be american" stuff, even though there are many countries with much better living standards, better laws, less crime, more appealing history, etc. So what's the big deal about being American, if it is anyway?

4 - ABOUT BIG CITIES
Your big cities are the most populated, but the typical american family is always portreyed living in those creeepy suburbs and dull small towns. Then who inhabits those big cities? Why is this kind of suburbian lifestyle considered as the "american dream", if it is?

5 - ABOUT LAW ENFORCEMENT
What's the general opinion (and your opinion) about the police and the fbi staff?

6 - ABOUT RELIGION
Why is the so-called "God" such a big issue in your country? I saw some statistics, and religion (christianity in particular) seems to be freakingly important for most americans. Why?

7 - ABOUT SMOKING
Is it true that most americans nowadays see smoking as a disguisting stigma, and treat smokers almost like lepers?
I know most states banned smoking in almost every public building (and that's what probably will happen in my country as well, which as a smoker myself I highly dismiss). Are these bans really enforced in bars, pubs, clubs? Even in the darkest, most rotten, back alley ones?

8 - ABOUT OTHER NATIONS
How do you perceive other countries and their inhabitants? What are the nations you like and dislike, and why?
(And do you have any opinions about Hungary? I'm not sure if you know us anyway, but if you do, let me hear those stereotypes :D)

That's all for now, I'm looking forward every answer... and more questions are coming soon. ;)

Last edited:

Ty Vulpine

Hi there!

I'm not really active in FA, mostly here just for viewing art rather than using the forum but there is something you could help me a bit.
I'm European (Hungarian, more specificly), I've never been to the US, I don't have any American friends, so I need you (as far as I know, most of you guys come from the US) to answer some - possibly trivial - questions I have in mind, about you, US-dwellers. I'm mostly interested in your personal opinions to get a glimpse how you perceive your nation and fellow-americans. Please, do not get offended by my questions, I'm not here to flame.

So, the first round:

1 - ABOUT NAMES
Do all of you have a middle name? I mean having two surnames are present or even quite usual elsewhere too, but it seems to me that middle names in the US (whether used, used as initials or not used) are sooo fucking widespread, almost a rule without exception. Why is that (if I'm right)?

Most do.

2 - ABOUT DEMONSTRATING
You guys seem like people always demonstrating for or against something, all the freakin' time, with bumper stickers, signs in your yards and windows. Maybe it's just a stereotype, but you seem to chant your opinions about political/religious/civil rights issues loudly, even knowing that big guys won't give a shit about it.

Some people are obsessed with the First Amendment of our Constitution (Freedom of Speech) and will go extreme with it.

3 - ABOUT PATRIOTISM
Maybe it's again stereotypes and the mistakes of media portreyal, but you seem overly patriotic, you know, all that "proud to be american" stuff, even though there are many countries with much better living standards, better laws, less crime, more appealing history, etc. So what's the big deal about being American, if it is anyway?

I think it's because Americans have the highest standard of living of any country in the world. And a lot of freedom, compared to other countries where even saying one minor thing wrong can earn you the death penalty.

3 - ABOUT BIG CITIES
Your big cities are the most populated, but the typical american family is always portreyed living in those creeepy suburbs and dull small towns. Then who inhabits those big cities? Why is this kind of suburbian lifestyle considered as the "american dream", if it is?

It's a mix of both rich and poor that live in the cities.

4 - ABOUT LAW ENFORCEMENT
What's the general opinion (and your opinion) about the police and the fbi staff?

Not many people like them, and constantly critizice them. I personally don't mind them either way.

5 - ABOUT RELIGION
Why is the so-called "God" such a big issue in your country? I saw some statistics, and religion (christianity in particular) seems to be freakingly important for most americans. Why?

See previous response about First Amendment.

5 - ABOUT SMOKING
Is it true that most americans nowadays see smoking as a disguisting stigma, and treat smokers almost like lepers?
I know most states banned smoking in almost every public building (and that's what probably will happen in my country as well, which as a smoker myself I highly dismiss). Are these bans really enforced in bars, pubs, clubs? Even in the darkest, most rotten, back alley ones?

Yes, pretty much.

6 - ABOUT OTHER NATIONS
How do you perceive other countries and their inhabitans? What are the nations you like and dislike, and why?
(And do you have any opinions about Hungary? I'm not sure if you know us anyway, but if you do, let me hear those stereotypes :D)

I personally don't mind other countries. Or their citizens coming here. What I DO mind is those that move here, and don't bother learning English yet expect Americans to speak THEIR language (paticularly Spanish-speaking people). Also, I hate diplomats, as they are immune to our country's laws, and often break them without fear of consequence (usually, worst that can happen is they get deported back to their own country).

That's all for now, I'm looking forward every answer... and more questions are coming soon. ;)

Hope that helps. Feel free to ask any more!

Midi Bear

11/10/08
1. Yes. It is law that everyone has a middle name in the USA. If you do not have one on your birth certificate, you are sentenced to death. No exceptions.

2. We demonstrate so whoever is running for president next can come up with some awesome lies for their campaign.

3. Show some damn pride for your own country.

3 (You put a 2nd 3 in here? Why?!). Nobody lives in cities. They commute.

4. I don't know EVERYBODY'S opinions, but I think there are some good and some bad. The bad ones are more like a gang, but just backed up by the government.

5. Most Americans over-pray in an attempt to compensate for the fact that they are always screwing other countries over with each and every purchase they make. Fact.

5 (Again?!). Smokers are executed publicly in America. Fact.

5 (Seriously.. what the fuck is wrong with you?). Americans believe that everything eastern is evil. Fact. However, every European country is seen as civilized and intelligent as fuck. Especially england. Fuck yeah.

Ty Vulpine

As far as those who inhabit it, it's definitely a mix. The lowerclass tend to live closer in, and the higherclass have the suburbs outlooking the city. Cities are nice though, they're the epitome of convenience. Everything you need is within 10-15min driving.

Here in the Washington DC area, the wealthier people live north and west of DC (paticularly Fairfax County in Virginia and Montgomery and Howard counties in Maryland, 3 of the 10 wealthiest counties in the US), and poorer people live in Southeast DC, and east of DC (Prince George's County, Maryland).

Nepharite

the outsider
Thanks for all the answers! I'm waiting for even more replies to broaden my view, before I flood you with a new package of my trivial questions. :)

Some comments until then:

TyVulpine
I think it's because Americans have the highest standard of living of any country in the world. And a lot of freedom, compared to other countries where even saying one minor thing wrong can earn you the death penalty.
As far as I know, some western European, and most Scandinavian countries have far better social welfare system and standard of living than the US. I've visited some of these countries, and I'd bet they live in a better way than you guys do. Some of these countries are even more liberal (just think of the Dutch with the weed legitimacy and all the gay rights). Sure, all nations (including us) have pride, patriotism and nationalism, but usually it's not shown off so violently.
But maybe I'm a victim of stereotypes about you, that's why I'm here to inquire. :)

Midi Bear
Yeah, I screwed up the numbers.

Show some damn pride for your own country.
I didn't say a damn thing about my country, dude.
Having pride is one thing. Showing it off arrogantly all the times is another - and that's what your media potrays. I am only curious about it's accuracy and the possible reasons.

brrrr
Freedom of speech I guess. Most people keep to themselves, but the rare few that like to be retarded are always picked up by the media. Bumper stickers is just the soccer mom's way of being an attention whore.
Freedom of Speech is also present in most EU countries (in mine as well), so as demonstrations, but somehow it looks like most Americans highly overdose this thing. But again, it's maybe just a dumb stereotype, thanks to the media, as you've mentioned.

Nobody minds if you're smoking outside and not forcing them to breathe it in.
The same goes for everywhere I guess. US movies and series nowadays tend to portray smoking folks as disguisting villains, it's probably just for the sake of propaganda, but I had no idea how most of you guys really think about it.

Azure

100% organic vegan hubbas
Hi there!

So, the first round:

1 - ABOUT NAMES
For legal and financial reasons. Other than that, I don't really know. Some people have really retarded names, and I've only ever had to put down my initial except for my Army contract and my passport and things of an incredibly legal nature. Oh and my credit report.
2 - ABOUT DEMONSTRATING
It's note really that true, our media will cover any idiot with a sign and a message, and the internet does the rest of the work. Now that the elections are over, there will probably be a ton less protesting, as it tends to go into retarded overdrive mode during that time. There will always be God Hates Fags, but other than that, most of us only protest when there is something to be incensed about.
3 - ABOUT PATRIOTISM
Freedom, pure and simple is the deal about being American. But honestly, it's dying slowly. And define better living standards. Mine are pretty bitchin, and I don't make that much money. I have a roof over my head, constant power and water with no interruption, superfast internet, decent affordable healthcare, etc etc. I think the medias portrayl of our country is VERY skewed. Come here and see for yourself, even our poor have 2 cars and a bunch of TV's.
4 - ABOUT BIG CITIES
What's creepy about a suburb? Do you not like easy access to all your potential needs? Urban living and suburban living are for 2 different types of people. I can't personally tell you why people would want to live in a large city. I don't fancy bad air, bad traffic, and homeless people. I live about 40 minutes outside of our major city here, which is Nashville, and if I want to go, I'll just take a drive. I like living in the middle of buttfuck nowhere, but that's just me. No noise, no traffic, and I still only have to drive about 15 minutes to get anything I'd ever need on a daily basis.
There are a few rare truly bad cops. The rest of the stuff you see about them is bullshit media spin. I haven't heard much from the FBI in ages, unless you count their investigation of ACORN for voter fraud. I think they do their job, and as longs as they stay within the bounds the laws have set for them, I don't really have much to say.
6 - ABOUT RELIGION
I think it may have to do with the religious nature of our roots, being that many of our first settlers were religious dissidents from England and other countries. For some odd reason, we always have had a large religious quotient of people within our ranks, despite our technological and economical advances, which run counter to the trends of other countries. If you want my honest to goodness opinion, I think it's that we aren't educating our children enough, and indoctrinating them into a religious social community at an early age. I can only hope this will change, as a large amount of idiots can wield immense electoral power, and block laws that are constitutional, and pass ones that are not. I'm talking mostly about marital rights for gays, stem cell research, and other things of great importance that have been harried in the past. Did you know Sodomy is illegal in 38 states?
7 - ABOUT SMOKING
Not all Americans see it like that. While I myself have quit smoking, I shun all these smoking bans. It is a persons right to do to their body what they will, as long as they are willing to pay the consequences. I think the government at the federal and state level has gone too far in their persecution of such. It should be up to a business owner to decide whether his establishment allows smoking or not. If people don't want that sort of thing, they can go somewhere else.
Editing later, time constraints.
8 - ABOUT OTHER NATIONS
How do you perceive other countries and their inhabitants? What are the nations you like and dislike, and why?
I fortunately have been to many different nations, and have had the privilege of living in a few of them as well. I have a generally good opinion of all of them. I can't say I dislike any of them, but I wouldn't be jumping at the chance to move to any of them, save Canada. I haven't been to Hungary, but I know you guys love coffee, due to your Turkish influences, and that you are sometimes called Magyars. I would love to visit Budapest, if only for the historical architecture alone. The only historical architecture we have in my town is a shitty log fort about the size of my woodshed. Screw that thing.

Last edited:

Roose Hurro

Lovable Curmudgeon
Banned
1 - ABOUT NAMES

2 - ABOUT DEMONSTRATING

3 - ABOUT PATRIOTISM

4 - ABOUT BIG CITIES

6 - ABOUT RELIGION

7 - ABOUT SMOKING

8 - ABOUT OTHER NATIONS

1 - No. I even had a neighbor who's name name was L. D. Taylor, written exactly like that on his birth certificate, according to him. Two initials, and his last name. He was a native of Arkansas. My own mother doesn't have a middle name, and I don't remember my sister ever having one, either. I think I only ended up with a middle name because my middle name was originally my first, but my stepfather wanted my first name to be different (not going into details). Something like that. Though my grandfather and uncle had the same first and middle name (the Jr./Sr. bit)....

2 - Yes, there does seem to be a lot of that going around. I've never participated in one, so I, personally, don't see the appeal.

3 - Everyone should feel patriotic towards the nation of their birth, if they still live there, and retain their citizenship. However, if you emigrate to a new nation, and become a citizen there, then your patriotism should be towards your new home, with a respect retained for the land of your birth, if such is your wish.

4 - Because suburbs surround cities... people in america like to live there, while they tend to work in cities. As for the american dream, it has always been about living in peace and quiet, with your own chunk of land to call your own... if you are affluent enough to enjoy such a dream. Suburbs and small towns provide this atmosphere, something you can't get in a big city.

5 - Nice to have around, but not to be relied on when SHTF... for that, self-protection is the only way to go. Police investigate crimes and clean up the mess afterwards. Unless they are right there, they can prevent nothing. What's that saying? "When seconds count, the police are only minutes away." As for the FBI? Not being a political person, I look at them this way: As long as they don't bother me, or try to mess with my freedoms, let them take care of the big stuff the local police can't handle alone.

6 - God is a big issue everywhere, really. After all, we live in the age of religious extremeism, where terrorism is a constant threat. The big thing about Christianity in America has to do with the fact our nation was founded by Christian men. After all, far as I know, our money still says "In God We Trust".

7 - I have to avoid smokers due to bad lungs... I hate coughing, and tasting blood. And pain. Yes, I don't care for that burning pain all that much. Hey, if smokers want to kill themselves, fine, just do it in private, so I don't have to share in your fate. Or your second-hand smoke.

8 - Other countries are simply other countries. I've pretty much lived my entire life in the state of California, with only a few trips that have taken me out of state, and one trip that took me into Canada (and to Vancouver Island). So, I don't even have much experience with the rest of America, let alone other countries. So long as you treat us as you want to be treated, no problems. Sorry, no stereotypes, other than exposure to the usual Polish jokes.

Midi Bear

11/10/08
I didn't say a damn thing about my country, dude.
Exactly.

Having pride is one thing. Showing it off arrogantly all the times is another - and that's what your media potrays.
You mean showing it off at all? In America I at least hear something along the lines of "I'm glad to be an American." every now and then. In just about every other place I've been, the only patriotism anyone shows is in their national sports teams. In which case it's normally some drunken dumbfuck going "ENGERLUUUND!!!". It's not arrogant to pledge allegiance to your flag or sing your national anthem every now and then. It's just showing appreciation. So what if other countries have better economies, less crime, better laws etc? The vast majority of countries are in complete poverty (Apart from cities. Cities in MEDCs and LEDCs are basically the same.)

Last edited:

Tigers-Shadow

Wonderer
1 - ABOUT NAMES
Idk why its so common, but I know I got mine from my grandmother. I guess its other way of keeping names in the family without embarrassing your kids too much by giving them "old fasioned" names

2 - ABOUT DEMONSTRATING
We like to whine xD That and our power is in our majority, thats kinda what the entire country is based upon. (aka- because we can)

3 - ABOUT PATRIOTISM
Very good question. Some of us ask that a lot. *shrugg* most people, I guess, are proud of the IDEALS of America, not the reality of it.

4 - ABOUT BIG CITIES
The bubs arn't creepy, only those mass-created cookie-cutter sub-devisions. If you get in the right neighborhood you have the wonder of fully-grown trees in your yard without being too far away from the movie theater/ potential jobs for the teen that can't drive and the mall. (I know we moved to a bigger city 'cause Dad couldn't find a good job in the town we were living in, and the economy isn't getting any better.)

Are we talking about movie portrayal? As to that, I have no idea, must add to the plot I guess.

Realistically or the paranoid me? Dad's kinda obsessed with conspiracy-theory CIA/FBI movies... so I have an innate distrust of authority, but I get really scared of authority and tend to listen to the police without question *is a wimp*

6 - ABOUT RELIGION
Its the majority, and most of the laws we have are Christian ideals... *shrugg* I could make a fairly rude, and stereotypical remark about Republicans and bible-thumpers but whatev (I have some-what of a right: my mom's family is all hardcore republican, and we get together a lot)

7 - ABOUT SMOKING
Not lepers, but I for one highly disaprove, but that mainly because of the health issues and the two heaviest smokers I know are REALLY close to me, and If I lost them early Idk what I would do...

8 - ABOUT OTHER NATIONS
I know very little, so I tend to keep my mouth shut, not even to ask questions. My school gets a lot of foreign exchange students so I try to be as friendly open and helpful as possible, but I keep my mouth shut on the questions, 'cause I'm sure It'd get annoying.

brrrr

rrrrr
Freedom of Speech is also present in most EU countries (in mine as well), so as demonstrations, but somehow it looks like most Americans highly overdose this thing. But again, it's maybe just a dumb stereotype, thanks to the media, as you've mentioned.
I'm aware.

America is just big. With those numbers, the percentage of people are bound to be higher than that of a smaller country, but I'm still sure you have your own prideful citizens and your own conflict. A lot of the people seem to blow things up about America's internal conflict (politics, religion) but it's pretty misjudged.

I admit I humorously flaunt my ego a bit about being an American, but it's all in good fun. I think this country's great, but I don't have to let everyone else be aware of my opinions on a piece of land.

Nepharite said:
The same goes for everywhere I guess. US movies and series nowadays tend to portray smoking folks as disguisting villains, it's probably just for the sake of propaganda, but I had no idea how most of you guys really think about it.
70 years ago smoking was sexy. 40 years ago smoking was cool. Present time it's portrayed as cancer sticks. For the right reasons too, the youth of my generation were highly impressionable. Get them to watch one movie with a badass dude smoking a cigarette and they'll all be lighting up.

I'm sure every other country's entertainment industry keeps this in mind, just America seems to be the overbearing source of international entertainment, so you probably recognize us much more than anything.

WhiteHowl

Procrastination is cool~*
Hi there!

So, the first round:

1 - ABOUT NAMES
Partly due to the fact that the middle name is honor someone else in the family, but mostly due to the fact that it gives us a clear indication on when are parents are gonna kick are asses.

2 - ABOUT DEMONSTRATING
To stir up drama and mostly because it's a chain reaction type thing. See if one guy decides to say that gay marriages are evil, then someone homosexual will stand up with a legion of other homosexual will rise up stir up some drama and we get what's called a "controversy." It's mostly due to the fact that we have a "freedom of speech" amendment, but mostly because people are bored and it takes 2 to stir up drama. The troll on one side, baby on the other

3 - ABOUT PATRIOTISM
We're not so much actually. It would be the stupids which encompass more than 60% of the U.S. that made it a rule to have their heads shoved up their asses on a consistent basis. Actually the higher you get up on the IQ meter in the U.S. the more you'll find self loathing of ones country.

4 - ABOUT BIG CITIES
The American dream is to become rich, fat, and lazy, and screwing enough with the economy to make everyone's lives miserable.

It varies from state to state. You have places like Hawaii, where the law enforcement is joke and you have places like idk California where it's been tightened to it's ass. It's the racist factor in play really though. You'll have better security if you're white and live in a state where white people control everything.

6 - ABOUT RELIGION
I blame the Reagen administration for that, but it's not as bad as rome. It's actually more fun to talk about scientology, mainly because for some reason it's mainstream now, but mostly because it's hilariously retarded, and should be set as an example of how to make a satire for a religion and not as an actual religion itself.

7 - ABOUT SMOKING
In this order: Parents do, yes, and nobody gives a shit so it's never really enforced.

8 - ABOUT OTHER NATIONS
I think that the japanese are weird, but then again I'm Korean myself so maybe it's an innate reaction. I put more trust in people who aren't albinos, and I judge people not on the color of their skin, but on whether or not they are completely stupid or crazy.

Nepharite

the outsider
Your opinions are very diverse on most things, I like that. :)

Tigers-Shadow:
I know very little, so I tend to keep my mouth shut, not even to ask questions
Asking questions, even trivial and dumb ones, results in better understanding. That's why I've opened this thread. I hope none of you find it annoying.

As I can see, the patriot question is the most unsettling one.
Just for clearing things up: I also like living in my country, despite the fact it's kind of a "cursed nation" from a historical point of view. I admire our amazing, rich and unique mother tongue, which differs from every other language in the world, and I like our culture, our heritage, and even our typical cynism towards everything.
The difference is that I don't feel the need to constantly and loudly proclaim "I'm so fucking proud to be a citizen of my nation" and I don't understand why others feel this urge, especially in your country.
Patriotism is essencial when your national identity is oppressed or seriously threatened, otherwise worshipping a flag beyond measure is just a redundant phrase. That's just it - IMHO.

And again, I'm talking about stereotypes here. The stereotypical american is not just a patriot, but a tiresome, roaring, blindly-patriotistic patriot (do not take that as an offense, that's usually how media portrays you). This may be just a retarded parody of you, or may have some truth. I guess it depends on the individual I ask. :)

And just a quick note: "patriotism" means and always ment an utterly different thing in my country - but I'm here to talk about yours.

Freedom, pure and simple is the deal about being American. But honestly, it's dying slowly. And define better living standards. Mine are pretty bitchin, and I don't make that much money. I have a roof over my head, constant power and water with no interruption, superfast internet, decent affordable healthcare, etc etc. I think the medias portrayl of our country is VERY skewed. Come here and see for yourself, even our poor have 2 cars and a bunch of TV's.

Seems poor people in the states living beyond their means has kinda come around to bite the whole nation in the ass though.

Last edited:

X

The Monster Under Your Bed

1 - ABOUT NAMES

yes. i have no idea why. its just that way, like living in houses.

2 - ABOUT DEMONSTRATING

because people like to piss people off. and express themselves & try to show off like "haha i chose obama! im better than you because i chose teh black candidate!".

3 - ABOUT PATRIOTISM
Maybe it's again stereotypes and the mistakes of media portrayal, but you seem overly patriotic, you know, all that "proud to be American" stuff, even though there are many countries with much better living standards, better laws, less crime, more appealing history, etc. So what's the big deal about being American, if it is anyway?

because we live here? are you not proud to have been born in your country? its like a house, you live there, therefore you have pride for being there. and even with all the faults, america is still better than most nations ;)

4 - ABOUT BIG CITIES
Your big cities are the most populated, but the typical American family is always portrayed living in those creepy suburbs and dull small towns. Then who inhabits those big cities? Why is this kind of suburban lifestyle considered as the "American dream", if it is?

the "american dream" and very quote, is 2.5 kids, a dog, a house, a substantial job, a loving wife, and a good education.
it doesnt matter where one lives in america. the cities are mainly for corperate offices and work places, the houses have mainly moved out. i went to new york city once, i saw 3 houses the whole time, the rest of the time it was malls, hotels, corprate offices, and central park. so, buisnessmen.

the poliece tend to keep everything in order, although nothing is perfect, and they would have to have 3 or 4 times the staff and budget to be 90-98% effective against crime. i have no opinion on the fbi, so no comment.

6 - ABOUT RELIGION
Why is the so-called "God" such a big issue in your country? I saw some statistics, and religion (Christianity in particular) seems to be freakingly important for most americans. Why?

america was built on christianity, the original colonies came over from england to escape religious opression, and christianity was almost 100% of the religion of the colonists. so, christianity is one of the "building blocks" of america so thats why it is so common.

7 - ABOUT SMOKING

not so sure about that, even if they did more than half of the american population smokes, so i dont think it is working.

8 - ABOUT OTHER NATIONS

like:
the UK (i know a few people from there and it seems like a nice place)
canada
mostly all of europe. (hey, its europe)
japan. (anime and manga)

dislike:
iraq (terrorists)
iran (terrorists)
afganistan (terrorists)
china (comunism)
north korea (war and a dictator)
vietnam. (war)
all for obvious reasons.

GatodeCafe

Cowardly Coyote
1 - ABOUT NAMES

I'm fucking Japanese, but I've got a middle name. It's pretty ubiquitous A lot of the time, folks just initial out their middle names. Joseph A. Bank.

2 - ABOUT DEMONSTRATING

Because we can. Fuck your mothers tits to death. In America, it's not enough to be right, you've got to be a dick about it too if you want your issue to go anywhere.

3 - ABOUT PATRIOTISM
Maybe it's again stereotypes and the mistakes of media portrayal, but you seem overly patriotic, you know, all that "proud to be american" stuff, even though there are many countries with much better living standards, better laws, less crime, more appealing history, etc. So what's the big deal about being American, if it is anyway?

American may not be the most economically, technologically, socially, whateverlly advanced country on this earth. That being said, culturally, America has a history of being completely kickass. A common misconception is that patriotism is about being an ignorant fucking retard, when in reality, it's loving what's good about America, while working your ass off to correct what you believe it's flaws are. I think Randy Newman put that shit best:

"I’d like to say a few words
In defense of our country
Whose people aren’t bad
Nor are they mean
Now the leaders we have
While they’re the worst that we’ve had
Are hardly the worst
This poor world has seen"

4 - ABOUT BIG CITIES

I've been to the suburbs, hated the fuck out of that shit, split the scene. They're seriously creepy places. You never see people outside, they just stay at home and invite people over every once in a while if they wanna be social. If I had to generalize, the suburbs are more conservative/traditional, almost completely white, and entirely protestant. The cities, on the other hand, tend to be more liberal, more multi-racial, and a bit more "edgy" politically. I don't think suburbia is the American dream, I mean, it might be, for crackers and bitches, but "the American Dream" isn't a cultural construct. It's an individual path towards self-actualization. Playing jazz and smoking pot is my American dream, fuck the suburbs.

I fucking hate the police, and the FBI only exists to catch internet predators.

The police in America, I guess, are like police anywhere else. They're just regular folks, given stupid amounts of power.

Regular person+Authority= TOTAL FUCKWAD

6 - ABOUT RELIGION

Look up "Dominionism" on google. That's what christians are trying to do to America. They're trying to take the damn place over and make God president. Now, keep in mind, not all christians are at all like this (Case in point, me) but religon has always been a major factor in the polling booths. It's pretty much completely bullshit.

7 - ABOUT SMOKING

As a smoker, I can firmly say that the anti-smoking folks are complete knobs. They're goddamn hypochondriac, fatass motherfuckers that you just want to cut to ribbons. The good news is that at least in Colorado, while smoking is illegal pretty much anywhere, you can still get away with it pretty easily. The cops just look the other way a lot of the time, kind of like when you're drinking whiskey out of one of those brown paper bags in public. It's like that.

8 - ABOUT OTHER NATIONS

The only thing I know about Hungary is that there was this one t-shirt I used to have with a picture of Hungary and Turkey, and it was set up with a I'm before Hungary and a "For" before turkey so it sort of phonetically spelled out I'm hungry for turkey. That stupid fucking joke that nobody got is the only thing I can tell you about Hungary.

I like countries with culture, which is pretty much all of them. Especially food, I'm like this crazy Anthony Bourdain motherfucker, I just fall in love with cultures, starting with the food, and then working my way backwards to the customs and everything. I esp. dig Spain, France, England.. Japan, and Russia. That being said, fuck China to death. I hate the living shit out of China.

Midi Bear

11/10/08
is it? :/

i have never been there, i hear great things about it though.
It's only good if you're just visiting or are insanely rich. Even in both those situations, America is far better. Perhaps it's just the town I live in, but I think it's pretty shit apart from the education. The only decent places I've been to are usually AONBs and west London. Just west.. and possibly Cardiff. I'll see if Belfast is any good in April..

T

Tycho

I wouldn't mind visiting England, but I'd be far more likely to actually MOVE to Ireland, or New Zealand. I've always wanted to see things like Stonehenge, and the dozens of dozens of ancient burial mounds, and the castles and such.

Suppose I ought to actually answer the questions, though, y'know?

1. Yep, I have a middle name. John. Why? Dunno. My birth name had a middle name as well, and it sounded similar to John. Middle initial is something good to have when dealing with the crap that other people have already mentioned - legal and financial documents of various sorts and so on.

2. There is a constantly-raging culture war in the USA. Propaganda like stickers, signs, posters and buttons are the main weapons. Each side trying to browbeat and cow the other, and constantly trying to pressure people who try to remain neutral into picking a side. Politics is by its nature a very divisive thing in this country. Some presidents have made it far more divisive than it needed to be, of course, but still - it's oil and water, and you will never get them to completely blend with each other, only achieve some kind of "emulsion" between them.

3. I'm not really proud to be an American very much anymore. I have more loyalty towards my views and ideals than I do to a flag and a big patch of dirt on the face of the earth. Make no mistake, I recognize and honor sacrifices made in the past by people for the sake of making the country a better place to be (or trying, at least). But as this country has strayed farther and farther from what I feel would be the ideal, I find myself questioning what exactly it is that I am supporting - a country, or a belief? And what exactly does that country embody anymore? Freedom? Hardly exclusive to the USA. Happiness, prosperity, equality? Again, not things the USA has a monopoly on. And it seems to me that freedom, happiness, prosperity and equality are all in constant jeopardy in the USA, not so much due to foreign attack or subterfuge, but more and more from hatred and greed poisoning our country from within.

4. People come in all stripes in this country - the urbanites who thrive in the densely-packed commerce centers that are the big cities, the suburbanites who choose to reside just outside those buzzing hives of society to seek a bit of separation from the hectic and high-pressure urban environment (but not TOO much separation lest they be cut off from their places of business), and the rural dwellers, who care not for the bustling cities, but rather prefer a slightly slower and more controllable pace for their lives, or whose business simply is not compatible with the dense concrete forests of the urban environment. Sometimes it's not a matter of which one people would prefer - some people find themselves stuck in one environment or another and feel like fishes out of water.

5. Law enforcement... is important, is VITAL, and is easily abused by the corrupt for the sake of personal gain - gain of power and of wealth. The police have to be policed. The system of checks and balances, however flawed it is, is important to the continued operation of the various bureaus of law enforcement for the sake of protecting the citizens of this country.

6. I despise religion, largely. It is a poison. It is a crutch for the frail of mind, a weapon for the hateful, and a prison for the concepts of free thought and individual spirituality. Religion is the perversion of spirituality, for the sake of maintaining power over others through their spirituality. It is thus a logical choice for certain factions within the country to try and dominate/alienate others. A more potent weapon for destroying the freedoms we hold dear has never been constructed.

7. Smoking's bad. Bad for you, bad for others around you. That being said, non-smokers should really fucking take a chill pill and stop waging all out WAR on the PEOPLE who smoke.

8. Other nations and their inhabitants... I sometimes enjoy a joke at another country's (or its inhabitants') expense, that I will not lie about. Xenophobia is a poison which courses through the blood of many people, in varying amounts. My impression of Hungary... I don't really have one. There are the usual "hairy people" jokes and stereotypes, but I and anyone else with half a brain in their head knows that we as Americans are hardly without our points of ridicule, and that what goes around comes around. There are few countries which I have DEFINITE impressions of (which may or may not be correct).

Last edited by a moderator:

GatodeCafe

Cowardly Coyote
I wouldn't mind visiting England, but I'd be far more likely to actually MOVE to Ireland, or New Zealand. I've always wanted to see things like Stonehenge, and the dozens of dozens of ancient burial mounds, and the castles and such.

I've heard it's mad hard to move to Ireland. Like, if you have an American accent, they don't want no part of your redneck shit. i.e. no jobs, no money, no fun, etc.. People always try to play it off like "Oh I'm Canadian", but nobody's going to actually buy that shit.

But yeah, those castles and stonehenges and shit are pretty bitchin. Crazy mojo in those hills, boss. I've got some irish dirt in my gross retarded dirt collection, and I think it's telling me to drink beer and commit adultery.

Devious Bane

No faith for this site
Banned
The answer to these questions is that America is always full of surprises.
The American public is underrated. Most of the things that happen here are a big fat "Wtf!?" in views of many other countries...
Then again, we haven't gone around blowing up countries by the second...Yet...

Takun

Wof Wof Wof Wof Wof
So, the first round:

1 - ABOUT NAMES

I can't tell you why, but yes they are common. Only my two amish friends had middle initials without a middle name. As far as I can tell it is so your parents can include it when they get pissed at you so you know you are in trouble.(joke)

2 - ABOUT DEMONSTRATING

The big guys don't have to give a shit about it. The purpose is to get a majority of little guys to give a shit about it so that the big guys have to give a shit about it to be elected.

3 - ABOUT PATRIOTISM

I am not a patriot. The funny thing is, the people in lower economic areas are more patriotic than those in higher. Those stuck in poverty have the hope of the american dream coming true, so they support the government way more than they should.

4 - ABOUT BIG CITIES

I'd say this isn't entirely true. Movies are going to take place wherever fits the story best. However, small towns are overhyped in America. The reason being safety from EVERYTHING. Bad influences, drugs, crime, and all of that jazz. They are supposed to be safe. They are very boring though like you say. I live in one.

Stay the fuck out of my life. I know they are there to save us from retards, but meh.

6 - ABOUT RELIGION

Because we're stupid. No really, that's why.

7 - ABOUT SMOKING

I'd say no, they aren't in the "darkest, most rotten, back alley ones" but then again, I don't go to bars. Yes smokers are really looked down on. I personally see them as weak individuals who got addicted for whatever reason and now are hooked making the rest of us put up with their habit(sorry Grim, know you are trying bud ;3)

8 - ABOUT OTHER NATIONS

I don't really dislike any nation....I dislike leaders and governments. For most people you grow up where you are born and get zero say in it. I love Canada and wish something could be done to bring Mexico up in quality standards, though I'd say Central America is doing a good job of trying to raise quality of living standards.

Art Vulpine

Art Vulpine
Hi there!

So, the first round:

1 - ABOUT NAMES

2 - ABOUT DEMONSTRATING

3 - ABOUT PATRIOTISM

4 - ABOUT BIG CITIES

6 - ABOUT RELIGION

7 - ABOUT SMOKING

8 - ABOUT OTHER NATIONS

Hello.

I'll try to answer your questions.

1) Several Americans have middle names. Sometimes they come from the name of a relative like a mother, father or grandparent.

2) Americans do demonstrate alot. We do so to get our point across. Our Constitution gives the right to peacefully assemble and protest something. Many Americans believe in "strength in numbers." Rather than have one person protesting, by gathering like minded people, there could be change. People are also passonate about what they believe, whether it be religion, politics, or pop culture. Our constitution gives the freedom of speech that allows us to display material that reflects our views.

3) Patriotism is a love for one's country. Many countries have patriotism. America just happens to display theirs more promimently. We have many symbols that stand for values that we as citizens of our country hold dear like freedom, peace, and liberty.

4) Big cities were at a time a major place where people would both live and work. Before the mass usage of the automobile, people had to either walk to work or travel via bus or train. Thus people would live in the city they worked, making travel easy. During the 1950s people prefered to live out in the suburbs so they could escape the cramped city. Today there are still some people who live in cities in apartment housing.

5) I feel that the law enforcement does a good job in protecting the common citizen. Enforcing the laws is such a touchy issue. On one hand people want their rights protected. On the otherhand there needs to be a safeguard against abuse of laws. Although there is some abuse of laws, I feel the law enforcement agency is effective.

6) Religion is important because when America was settled, many of the people were Christian, hence the "one nation under God" motto. People cling to religion as a way to have faith in a higher power watching ofer their lives and helping in times of trial such as sickness, death in the family, and other tragedies. In short religion is a sense of comfort in troubling times. There are not just Christians today. There are Jews, Muslims, Hindus, Buddists, Pagans, and even atheists who do not believe in a supreme beign.

7) In the 1950s smoking was a major factor in american life. yet as the years went on doctors realized the poor effects smoking has on people's health. Today while smokers are not stigmitized, they are restricted in favor of the general health of people.

8) We generally have positive opinions about other countries. The exceptions are countries that threaten to attack us like Afghanistan and Iraq or those countries that devalue the rights of human life and basic freedoms like freedom of speech, freedom to protest, etc. We are very friendly with European nations, including Hungary since these nations are non threatening and offer their people rights similar to the rights Americans enjoy.

Hope this helps.