• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Quit drawing and I feel great about it

babykitty

Tried learning to draw after having an image stuck in my head for months. I did it, last pic in my gallery, and I HATED every moment. I hate the way it looks, the proportions, EVERYTHING about is just BAD! I thought of trying again but, the sketchpad I drew in is filled with me saying terrible things about myself and my ability to draw. To be frank, this isn't for me and I accept it.
I'm not gonna lie, I honestly feel better about it. I feel greatknowing I won't waste the time or effort into drawing. Not getting frustrated over looking my own art after using others as a reference, and getting pissed it looks terrible by comparison.

I say all this to ask: is that weird? Does feel weird to feel better about quitting something you didn't enjoy?

Last edited:

Vincent_Perri

Welcome to the turf.
Nah I don't think its weird, I think it makes sense that you'd rather stop doing something you didn't enjoy. I know what you mean about the frustration though, sometimes drawing skills take a long time to develop, and seeing loads of other art from more experienced artists does sometimes generate feelings of inadequacy.

I’m glad you were able to figure this out for yourself.

For you specifically, I think you covered it in your last sentence there: if you didn’t enjoy doing it, you shouldn’t force yourself to do it. That just tends to feed into the negativity and make everything more negative.

Drawing isn’t for everyone, sometimes even making any kind of art isn’t for everyone, and that’s totally ok. As my mom likes to say, “We need people to appreciate art just as much as we need people to make art.”

If we all liked to do the same things, the world world would be a very boring place.

babykitty

I’m glad you were able to figure this out for yourself.

For you specifically, I think you covered it in your last sentence there: if you didn’t enjoy doing it, you shouldn’t force yourself to do it. That just tends to feed into the negativity and make everything more negative.

Drawing isn’t for everyone, sometimes even making any kind of art isn’t for everyone, and that’s totally ok. As my mom likes to say, “We need people to appreciate art just as much as we need people to make art.”

If we all liked to do the same things, the world world would be a very boring place.
The sad part is, I wanted to be good, but couldn't stand being bad at it. Admittedly, I'm a bad writer, but I still enjoy it enough to leisurely do it.

Unfortunately, unless you have some magic the rest of us are missing, the only way to really get good is to practice and learn from your mistakes, like with pretty much everything.

I don’t think it’s worth putting the effort in though if you don’t at least enjoy the act of doing it. I personally find a lot of drawing to be either an interesting challenge or meditative, depending on what I’m making, regardless of whether or not I like the end product.

I’d say if writing is more interesting for you, then go for that. I bet you’ll even get great at it if you keep working on it.

jffry890

I'm a mediocre writer and a mediocre artist. I dabble in everything, but if you don't enjoy something, don't do it. If you hate it because you're bad at it, that's only just a reason to continue and improve to better yourself. The only way to improve is to push on, but if you hate doing whatever it is you're doing (and it has nothing to do with how bad you are at it), then drop it.

You are a (self-assessed) bad writer, but you enjoy it. If you enjoy it, then keep working at it to improve. If you're bad at it, and hate doing it, then just stop because there's simply just nothing there for you unless you really want that commission money.

Dongding

The sheep
Made a fairly relevant post a while ago in open chat that I believe applies.

...snip...

There's people that will draw and draw and draw 500× more than anyone you'd ever meet and never get any better.

Guitar was like that for me. I know all about musical theory and chords and scales. I have no problem with rhythm, but I just couldn't get to a point where I could make melodies on the fly. I practiced for about 5 years or so, at one point never improving no matter how much I practiced. I would do a solid hour a day and played with other people at their houses and stuff, but just couldn't grasp it the way I wanted to.

Some people pick up a guitar and within a year are borderline amazing. I believe some skills are simply inaccessible to certain individuals for whatever the psychological reason behind it.

It was very humbling because I've never tried something I couldn't get good at quickly, and my progress seemingly just stopped at a certain point for me. I realized one day that my hobby only stressed me out, which is the opposite of what a hobby is supposed to do; so I quit guitar.

I don't see quitting as a shameful thing anymore because of it. I consider it a better alternative to futility and realize that some people just aren't meant for certain things.

Realizing limitations is healthy.

Dongding

The sheep
Glad you're at least at peace with your choice. It hurts to want something so badly and feel inadequate. Not everyone is dealt the hand they want in life, and there's only so much you can bluff before you find you have to fold or face the music.

Ciderfine

Slow as sickness but true as sap
Banned
I'm glad this is working out for you, because it actually does work. People gave me flak for telling people not everyone can be an artist, animator, design and it still hold true. Art is a very hard, focused and skill based hobby/practice that not everyone can do and have it be something that isnt regretful or self destructive.

In fact most of anything you dont enjoy is really.

Yantiskra

It takes many, many years to learn. I finally was able to draw a decent furry a year ago and I'm drawing for 12 years. And I remember being very frustrated, expecially at the beginning. I would make one picture and quit for month, because...just ehh xD
So, if you find something else which you like more - it's wonderful! :) Of course you can't like everything you do, sometimes you should just try it and move on. I hope you will find something that inspires you :)

Summer

Do whatever works for you. I started art early in childhood and I feel I have very little to show for how much time I've devoted to my art and I am frustrated as well. I feel like I should be extremely talented by this point in my life and I'm not. Reading about successful professional artists that are younger than I am is extremely frustrating.