• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Quotes that you like

Whimsycal

The whimsical clown
Hello everyone! Do you have a quote you like? That you always keep close to you or works as a guide?

One my favorite quotes is this one:

The noblest art is that of making others happy.- P.T. Barnum

Astus

Well Known Foxxo
“...And on the pedestal, these words appear: My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings; Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!” - From Ozymandias by Percy Shelly

That was my high school yearbook quote ;p

Cawdabra

"I should have lashed out on my first day on the forum. If I did that this forum would cease to exist." - 6tails

P

Puggles

1. One shall stand. One shall fall. -Optimus
  2. I hope they remember you. -Thanos
  3. That's the spirit. But i was a champion of the pits of kaon not only due to my savage might. But also my cunning! -Megatron
  4. For a time... I considered sparing your wretched little planet Cybertron, but now... you shall witness.... ITS DISMEMBERMENT!!! -Unicron
  5. Are you threatening me! -crimcyan
  6. I got better things to do tonight than die. -Springer
  7. I'm not sure. But this world is ours now. It's what we make of it. -9
  8. You stay, i go.... No following. -Iron Giant
  9. You are who you choose to be. -Hogarth
  10. But I could snap my fingers... and you'd all cease to exist. -Thanos
  11. Perfectly balanced, as all things should be. -Thanos

DragonMaster21

The Mistbinder
"I am a Shadow, the True Self!"- Persona 4.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke
I find this quote very interesting, however, as someone who frequently devolops magic systems, I don't necessarily agree.

To me, magic can be approached as a technology, but one doesn't necessarily need to use any man-made object in order to access it.

Whereas a technology that mimics magic needs to have some sort of artificial process in order to use its effects.

Just my opinion, though.

Jarren

You can't just quote yourself! -Me
"They've got us surrounded again, those poor bastards!"
-Lafayette G. Poole, allied tank ace reacting to his unit being encircled (again) by German armor.

Last edited:

Simo

Professional Watermelon Farmer
"And this is the forbidden truth, the unspeakable taboo - that evil is not always repellent but frequently attractive; that it has the power to make of us not simply victims, as nature and accident do, but active accomplices."

-Joyce Carol Oates

GarthTheWereWolf

Captious Lycanthrope of Forum Legend
"Love, it is said, is blind, but love is not blind. It is an extra eye, which shows us what is most worthy of regard. To see the best is to see most clearly, and it is the lover's privilege."

Dreva

Lurker's gonna lurk
"I am a Shadow, the True Self!"- Persona 4.

I find this quote very interesting, however, as someone who frequently devolops magic systems, I don't necessarily agree.

To me, magic can be approached as a technology, but one doesn't necessarily need to use any man-made object in order to access it.

Whereas a technology that mimics magic needs to have some sort of artificial process in order to use its effects.

Just my opinion, though.

It's supposed to be figurative, Arthur Clarke is not even a fantasy fiction author. :)

I just love how it means that we should never limit our possibilities in the world.

"Witchcraft to the ignorant, ... simple science for the learned." - Leigh Brackett

"The supernatural is only the natural of which the laws are not yet understood." - Agatha Christie.

And here's another quote that made its impression on me :
"The essential act of of war is destruction, not necessarily of human lives but of the products of human labor." - Goldstein's Manifesto , 1984

Last edited:

TrishaCat

The Cat in the FAF
"Don't beg for things. Do it yourself, or else you won't get anything." -Eureka Seven

"I know not what weapons WWIII will be fought with, but WWIV will be fought with sticks and stones." -Albert Einstein

"Do as your heart desires, but see it through to the end" -Solatorobo

"What the sugar-coated muffins is that!?" -Solatorobo

D

Deleted member 111470

"Man is alone in darkness. He must bring his own light."

I have no idea who said that, I saw it in a forum once, maybe 10 years ago, and it stuck with me ever since.

Gronix

Catless Cat Lady
"A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."

ChapterAquila92

Resident Bronze Dragon Kasrkin
Banned
A slew of my favourites from Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri
"Man's unfailing capacity to believe what he prefers to be true rather than what the evidence shows to be likely and possible has always astounded me. We long for a caring Universe which will save us from our childish mistakes, and in the face of mountains of evidence to the contrary we will pin all our hopes on the slimmest of doubts. God has not been proven not to exist, therefore he must exist."
"Some would ask, how could a perfect God create a universe filled with so much that is evil. They have missed a greater conundrum: why would a perfect God create a universe at all"
~But for the Grace of God

"The righteous need not cower before the drumbeat of human progress. Though the song of yesterday fades into the challenge of tomorrow, God still watches and judges us. Evil lurks in the datalinks as it lurked in the streets of yesteryear. But it was never the streets that were evil."
~The Blessed Struggle
"Man has killed man from the beginning of time, and each new frontier has brought new ways and new places to die. Why should the future be different?"
~Planet: A Survivalist's Guide

"Proper care and education for our children remains a cornerstone of our entire colonization effort. Children not only shape our future; they determine in many ways our present. Men and women work harder knowing their children are safe and close at hand, and never forget that, with children present, parents will defend their home to the death!"
~Planet: A Survivalist's Guide
"As the Americans learned so painfully in Earth's final century, free flow of information is the only safeguard against tyranny. The once-chained people whose leaders at last lose their grip on information flow will soon burst with freedom and vitality, but the free nation gradually constricting its grip on public discourse has begun its rapid slide into despotism. Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master."
~UN Declaration of Rights

"The entire character of a base and its inhabitants can be absorbed in a quick trip to the Rec Commons. The sweaty arenas of Fort Legion, the glittering gambling halls of Morgan Bank, the sunny lovers' trysts in Gaia's High Garden, or the somber reading rooms of U.N. Headquarters. Even the feeding bay at the Hive gives stark insight into the sleeping demons of Yang's communal utopia."
~A Social History of Planet

"Scientific theories are judged by the coherence they lend to our natural experience and the simplicity with which they do so. The grand principle of the heavens balances on the razor's edge of truth."
~A History of Science

"Once a man has changed the relationship between himself and his environment, he cannot return to the blissful ignorance he left. Motion, of necessity, involves a change in perspective."
~A Social History of Planet
"We hold life to be sacred, but we also know the foundation of life consists in a stream of codes not so different from the successive frames of a watchvid. Why then cannot we cut one code short here, and start another there? Is life so fragile that it can withstand no tampering? Does the sacred brook no improvement?"
~Dynamics of Mind

"Technological advance is an inherently iterative process. One does not simply take sand from the beach and produce a Dataprobe. We use crude tools to fashion better tools, and then our better tools to fashion more precise tools, and so on. Each minor refinement is a step in the process, and all of the steps must be taken."
~Looking God in the Eye

"Why do you insist that the human genetic code is "sacred" or "taboo"? It is a chemical process and nothing more. For that matter -we- are chemical processes and nothing more. If you deny yourself a useful tool simply because it reminds you uncomfortably of your mortality, you have uselessly and pointlessly crippled yourself."
~Looking God in the Eye

"If our society seems more nihilistic than that of previous eras, perhaps this is simply a sign of our maturity as a sentient species. As our collective consciousness expands beyond a crucial point, we are at last ready to accept life's fundamental truth: that life's only purpose is life itself."
~Looking God in the Eye

"Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world. Extend your awareness outward, beyond the self of body, to embrace the self of group and the self of humanity. The goals of the group and the greater race are transcendent, and to embrace them is to achieve enlightenment."
~Essays on Mind and Matter
"Human behavior is economic behavior. The particulars may vary but competition for limited resources remains a constant. Need as well as greed has followed us to the stars and the rewards of wealth still await those wise enough to recognize this deep thrumming of our common pulse."
~The Centauri Monopoly

"You ivory tower intellectuals must not lose touch with the world of industrial growth and hard currency. It is all very well and good to pursue these high-minded scientific theories, but research grants are expensive. You must justify your existence by providing not only knowledge but concrete and profitable applications as well."
~The Ethics of Greed

"And when at last it is time for the transition from megacorporation to planetary government, from entrepreneur to emperor, it is then that the true genius of our strategy shall become apparent, for energy is the lifeblood of this society and when the chips are down he who controls the energy supply controls Planet. In former times the energy monopoly was called "The Power Company"; we intend to give this name an entirely new meaning."
~The Centauri Monopoly

"Look at any photograph or work of art. If you could duplicate exactly the first tiny dot of color, and then the next and the next, you would end with a perfect copy of the whole, indistinguishable from the original in every way, including the so-called "moral value" of the art itself. Nothing can transcend its smallest elements."
~The Ethics of Greed
"Symbols are the key to telepathy. The mind wraps its secrets in symbols; when we discover the symbols that shape our enemy's thought, we can penetrate the vault of his mind."
~Our Secret War
"And here we tinker with metal, to try to give it a kind of life, and suffer those who would scoff at our efforts. But who's to say that, if intelligence had evolved in some other form in past millennia, the ancestors of these beings would not now scoff at the idea of intelligence residing within meat?"
~The Fallacies of Self-Awareness
"To understand a thing is to know the manner by which it might be destroyed. A fundamental understanding of the basic building-blocks of the Universe is essential, then, to the total destruction of everything."
~One Tool, One Thought

"In one dimension I find existence, in two I find life, but in three, I find freedom."
~Cadet Induction Ceremony, Mission Year 2216
"War is war; destruction is destruction. You think this is obvious. But war is not destruction, it is victory. To achieve victory, simply appear to give your opponent what he wants and he will go away, or join you in your quest for additional power."
~Information Burns

"By creating a planetary network, mankind on Planet now has the ability to share information at light-speed. But by creating a single such network, each faction has brought themselves closer to discovery as well. At the speed of light, we will catch your information, tag it like an animal in the wild, and release it unharmed-if such should serve our purposes."
~The Alpha Codex
"We are no longer particularly in the business of writing software to perform specific tasks. We now teach the software how to learn, and in the primary bonding process it molds itself around the task to be performed. The feedback loop never really ends, so a tenth year polysentience can be a priceless jewel or a psychotic wreck, but it is the primary bonding process--the childhood, if you will--that has the most far-reaching repercussions."
~Bad'l Ron, Wakener, Morgan Polysoft

"We are all aware that the senses can be deceived, the eyes fooled. But how can we be sure our senses are not being deceived at any particular time, or even all the time? Might I just be a brain in a tank somewhere, tricked all my life into believing in the events of this world by some insane computer? And does my life gain or lose meaning based on my reaction to such solipsism?"
~Project PYRRHO, Specimen 46, Vat 7. Activity recorded M.Y. 2302.22467. (TERMINATION OF SPECIMEN ADVISED)

Dongding

The sheep
First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi

Edit: Found a more relevant one that applies to my life a little more closely.

This old Shitfisher took his bagpipes down to the river and he played his pipes in hopes that the shitfish would rise up out of the water. But not one shitfish rose, Julian. So he took a shitnet and threw it in the river and, lo, soon he drew it forth filled with shitfish. Then he took his bagpipes and then he played them again and all the shitfish jumped up in the shitnet. 'Oh, you dance now when I play, said the Shitfisher. And then the little old shitfish spoke up in the end and he said, when your in a man's power, you must do as he bids you. Shitnets, Julian, and Shitpower. - Jim Lahey

Last edited:

ChapterAquila92

Resident Bronze Dragon Kasrkin
Banned
gandhi on nonviolence and nukes.png

Proof that Civ Gandhi is more than just a running joke.

Last edited:

zenmaldita

always hungry
"...It is only by going through a volume of work that you will close that gap, and your work will be as good as your ambitions...It’s gonna take awhile. It’s normal to take awhile. You’ve just gotta fight your way through." - Ira Glass

O

Oakie-Dokie

"We're good at drawing lines through the spaces between stars like we're pattern-finders, and we'll find patterns and we like really put our hearts and minds into it and even if we don't mean to.

So I believe in a universe that doesn't care and people who do."

— Angus, Night In The Woods