• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Random people appearing on my ignore list.

RAM

Title, mostly. Sometimes I get random users appearing in my ignore list who I don't recall blocking.

This is made stranger by the fact that I strictly abstain from using the ignore feature. I don't block anyone for any reason and my DMs/profile comment section are both entirely free for any and all users to make use of.

Why does this happen?

Edit: this is for my forum account, not the main website.

Last edited:
O

O.D.D.

Can't say that's ever happened to me here though there were other XenForo forums where that would happen

Might not be related to this at all but do admins/mods have access to users' ignore lists?

Last edited by a moderator:

RAM

Can't say that's ever happened to me here though there were other XenForo forums where that would happen

Might not be related to this at all but do admins/mods have access to users' ignore lists?

They probably do (actually this also makes me wonder just how many permissions they actually have).

Part of me wonders if people who ignored you also appear on your ignore list.

If true, it would make sense. Not everyone on FAF appreciates my irresistible charm.

O

O.D.D.

They probably do (actually this also makes me wonder just how many permissions they actually have).

Part of me wonders if people who ignored you also appear on your ignore list.

If true, it would make sense. Not everyone on FAF appreciates my irresistible charm.
I mean, I don't think it enforces mutual ignore now and I don't think it ever did (despite me asking for that as a feature in the past)

Could be wrong tho? Idk.

E: also in past incarnations of FAF, staff had some... surprising features available to them. Probably not relevant to this issue, but.... yeah

TyraWadman

The Brutally Honest Man-Child
I think this comes from the people who have blocked you. XD

Before the forums update (and blocking forced both users to block each other) I had one user take something I said out of context and message+block me. Then, after the update, I could actually see their name on my Ignore list. And at that time, I had no one blocked.

• Wow
Reactions: RAM

RAM

I think this comes from the people who have blocked you. XD

Before the forums update (and blocking forced both users to block each other) I had one user take something I said out of context and message+block me. Then, after the update, I could actually see their name on my Ignore list. And at that time, I had no one blocked.

So I just might be on to something with my "these people on your ignore list are users who thought you were a meanie poo-pants" theory? Huh.

...and now I'm tempted to ramp up my antagonistic forum persona just to see how many people I can get to appear on my ignore list before this year expires.

TyraWadman

The Brutally Honest Man-Child
So I just might be on to something with my "these people on your ignore list are users who thought you were a meanie poo-pants" theory? Huh.

...and now I'm tempted to ramp up my antagonistic forum persona just to see how many people I can get to appear on my ignore list before this year expires.
There he goes...

Nexus Cabler

Conduit of Synergy
5nwu3x.gif

Fallowfox

Are we moomin, or are we dancer?
TyraWadman's right; the block feature is symmetric.

I actually have over 60 people on my blocklist, mostly accounts that registered to spam; 2/3rds of the accounts I have blocked have been permanently banned, and many of the rest have about 5 posts.

Only about 20% have >100 posts, and of those, about half haven't actually posted in the last year.

O

O.D.D.

TyraWadman's right; the block feature is symmetric.
Not something I'm seeing, and it's evidenced by at least one poster continuing to see my stuff and respond to it after I shunted them onto the list. Whether that's them using the "show ignored content" function or not I don't know for certain, but since I don't even see a block function in dropdown I'm assuming ignore and block are synonymous.

Fallowfox

Not something I'm seeing, and it's evidenced by at least one poster continuing to see my stuff and respond to it after I shunted them onto the list. Whether that's them using the "show ignored content" function or not I don't know for certain, but since I don't even see a block function in dropdown I'm assuming ignore and block are synonymous.

The 'show ignored content' function is one possibility, but they could also do this just by removing you from their blocklist.

There are certain subjects that, if I comment on, I invariably get quoted by a user who I blocked. I just report it every time as a CoC 2.4 violation, but I don't know whether this has any effect.

O

O.D.D.

The 'show ignored content' function is one possibility, but they could also do this just by removing you from their blocklist.

There are certain subjects that, if I comment on, I invariably get quoted by a user who I blocked. I just report it every time as a CoC 2.4 violation, but I don't know whether this has any effect.
I will say the last time FAF had staff that weren't apathetic ciphers it was in the wrong way (see: Ben's abuses, the Rossyfox "miserable user" debacle, and some other stuff that I only have secondhand knowledge of but sounds pretty par for the course)

Fallowfox

I will say the last time FAF had staff that weren't apathetic ciphers it was in the wrong way (see: Ben's abuses, the Rossyfox "miserable user" debacle, and some other stuff that I only have secondhand knowledge of but sounds pretty par for the course)

For clarification, there is a bug that means the forum notification system does not always notify users when a report is resolved.

So an absence of responses could be the result of that. I should probably not mention this, since it will only embolden the blocked user to continue trying to contact me.

O

O.D.D.

For clarification, there is a bug that means the forum notification system does not always notify users when a report is resolved.

So an absence of responses could be the result of that. I should probably not mention this, since it will only embolden the blocked user to continue trying to contact me.
It's a bug? There are a lot of places that deliberately don't tell users that, which I dislike but... Huh.

Punji

Vaskebjørn
I'm not sure that automatically placing other people on one's block list is actually a thing.

I'd imagine I'm on more than a few peoples' lists but none are on mine. Unless it's a spotty feature or it's only for new additions after its addition?

Yakamaru

Autumn wolf
I'm not sure that automatically placing other people on one's block list is actually a thing.

I'd imagine I'm on more than a few peoples' lists but none are on mine. Unless it's a spotty feature or it's only for new additions after its addition?
You are on my ignore list tho. :>

Ignored from my heart. UwU

Fallowfox

I could add you to my ignore list momentarily to demonstrate it, but I wouldn't be removed from your list until you checked it and manually updated it.

Punji

Vaskebjørn
I could add you to my ignore list momentarily to demonstrate it, but I wouldn't be removed from your list until you checked it and manually updated it.
Please do!

Yakamaru

Autumn wolf

Punji

Vaskebjørn
So what happened?

When you are blocked, does it at least warn you when you reply to their post?
Assuming you're referring to Fallow and I, if @Fallowfox Ignore'd me yet, I couldn't tell you.

1632680991149.png

So I would perhaps assume this is not so?