• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

RANT: Stop oversexualizing your fursonas; treat them like characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

quoting_mungo

No, it's a normal turn a of phrase and nothing is meant by it. It's used when something is said that can potentially rile you up or push "those" buttons that can cause someone to react angrily or with varying degrees of annoyance.
You are defending ableist usage of a term that is important in psychology. The usage you’re suggesting is “normal” is much more recent, and is predominantly employed by people who have little or no consideration for others, and may even derive amusement out of deliberately antagonizing others.

We have users on this forum with PTSD. Calling the reaction of people who are simply upset about a difference of opinion “triggered” is extremely disrespectful towards those users, and trivializes the impact actual triggers can have on people suffering from mental health issues (or certain physical conditions - epileptics can have seizure triggers for example).

Vesper The Coyusky

Ok now I'm gonna showcase my two cents. My fursona, I treat him like my personality and how I perceive myself in the fandom . I don't have a backstory or anything because I'm not that creative or that special. He's very plain, nothing really sexual about him or interesting about him.Might ask for a piece of art here and there. But nothing big and irritating to the point that it's unconfortable to a majority of those around me.
Fursona's can be anything special, but having it oversexualized is ridiculous, and I believe it just makes them look more bad in real life because what you think of how sexual that fursona is, that doesn't mean thats how they perceive to be in real life. That also doesn't mean, oh this is gonna make me so popular people are gonna follow me and I'm gonna get popular. That doesn't work that way. JUST BE YOURSELF. It's just ridiculous how some people want to take their fursona to the next level and it just makes us normal or creative furries that make awesome fursonas look bad.

redhusky

Emperor of Floof! King of the Rats and Spamlord!
You are defending ableist usage of a term that is important in psychology. The usage you’re suggesting is “normal” is much more recent, and is predominantly employed by people who have little or no consideration for others, and may even derive amusement out of deliberately antagonizing others.
The very first paragraph in that article alone explains how the terms triggered is used in normal conversation and why.

"What does it mean to be "triggered?" In recent years, this term has been casually used to refer to the experience of having an emotional reaction, usually to some type of disturbing content (such as violence or the mention of suicide) in the media or in another social setting."

The rest of that article just explains the origins of the word and goes into more details. It's just technical information starting with:

"However, there is a difference between being triggered and being uncomfortable. Feeling triggered isn't just about something rubbing you the wrong way."

From there goes into the technical side of triggers and how to categorize them and such which doesn't help you in this. My usage is no different from using terms like "ego" from physiology. So as I said, it's a normal turn a of phrase and nothing is meant by it.

I'm not going to indulge you being outraged on behalf of other users. I too have friends who suffer and they'd be the first to tell you that they don't care.

Valryth

Do clouds look down and think I'm one of them?
While I'm not personally bothered by the usage of "triggered" (despite having a mental condition that's based on triggers too) I can see why it would be seen as harmful to others, so I guess I just wanted to pop by and say that I can see where mungo and Aiai are coming from!

I think that you should be able to say it whenever you want, but if someone feels genuinely uncomfortable about it then I think that the best thing would be to simply avoid saying it to them out of respect to the individual, since it can be harmful (even if it's not always so for everyone!)

It's pretty much like using "bipolar" as an adjective to describe a drastic mood shift. Pretty harmless and people get what you're saying, but people who are actually bipolar could feel offended.

Then again, that's kinda off-topic so I'll leave my two cents and go!

redhusky

While I'm not personally bothered by the usage of "triggered" (despite having a mental condition that's based on triggers too) I can see why it would be seen as harmful to others, so I guess I just wanted to pop by and say that I can see where mungo and Aiai are coming from!

I think that you should be able to say it whenever you want, but if someone feels genuinely uncomfortable about it then I think that the best thing would be to simply avoid saying it to them out of respect to the individual, since it can be harmful (even if it's not always so for everyone!)

It's pretty much like using "bipolar" as an adjective to describe a drastic mood shift. Pretty harmless and people get what you're saying, but people who are actually bipolar could feel offended.

Then again, that's kinda off-topic so I'll leave my two cents and go!
I agree, I'm cool with someone not asking me to say it to them but it's the language policing aspect I'm not having any of. It's a normal turn a of phrase and nothing is meant by it.

Jaredthefox92

Banned
Banned
Oh yeah, definitely a cat lady.

A literal, cat lady:

ddnc867-1f631206-8fa8-4876-aa18-ed433a5b577a.png

dd62tn4-d35f465a-1df9-4a4e-93a9-8e0f34f17023.png

dd0oevp-a5ed9181-2ab5-44bf-b5a2-d58237d5c66f.png

Raever

Chaotic Neutral Wreckage

Raever

Chaotic Neutral Wreckage
I promise I'm not looking for sexual content lmao If the SFW filter actually worked half of the time I wouldn't feel the need to complain. Maybe my idea of SFW is a bit stricter than most, but fetish content slipping past the filter on a technicality has always been my biggest issue with the filter. Since it technically doesn't break the rules I can't report them. Not to mention all of the mature art with a couple a black bars slapped on it so it can be posted under the General section, once again subverting it on a technicality. My problem was with the way the filter itself works, not how people tag.

You and at least eighteen other members have this problem, but unfortunately I don't think the majority tend to care - or if they do they shrug it off rather easily. </3

If a lot of members asked FA tomorrow to fix the filter system or update the guidelines for said filters with more specific requirements for each section so the above mentioned couldn't happen then it would be a better viewing experience, but...ya know. How dare we want better because that means we aren't sex positive or kinky enough or something. (Note: yes I'm salty since I'm like, one of the biggest kinksters you'll probably meet. I just like my wholesome content darnit!)

My character doesn't just represent some hot anthro boi - he represents ideas, ideals, my desire for absolute freedom. He represents something I cannot have. And calling that shallow and devoid of meaning, emotions, feeling, depth... well, that's straight up wrong.

That's...an unexpected and really beautiful way to put it.

The data is about 10 years old at this point, but it doesn’t appear the proportion of NSFW work was shifting significantly over time, so it should still be sufficient to give a general idea. This comment breaks it down into actual numbers; excluding the deleted submissions the proportion is very roughly 2/3 SFW and 1/3 NSFW.

Why they made that instead of a "normal" visual graph (ex. Pie graph, line graph, etc) confuses me.

co-opted by “edgy” assholes to mock “SJWs” objecting to their bigotry

Crazy how game lingo can invade social political discussions. For what it's worth while I agree the word can be used by assholes, I do not view the blatant definition as automatic-asshole-and-biggot-identifying material. Nor do I associate someone's psychological wellbeing with it.

If a word born from video game lingo hurts your feelings bad enough to linger in your brain and cause permanent damage, that might be a sign of underlying mental illness in regards to emotional imbalance and that can't just be solely blamed on a word and it's existence.

I think you might be taking this a tad bit too personally, especially since the word wasn't even used at you. While I do think that with current social cues triggered can denote a negative context, I don't think the user was actively trying to piss someone off. I took it more in the neutral tone of, "Ay mate. Chill. Time to be an adult." instead of the instigative asshole tone of, "FUCK YOU YOU'RE TRIGGERED LOLOLOL FEGGIT".

Like, contextually, it's clear what tone @redhusky was going for. x3

I'm mentally ill. I care. "Triggered" is a slur. Please don't use it.

Hello fellow mentally ill person.

I disagree. Please block people who use it if you would like to not see it. This removes the issue, as their posts will be hidden.

A stranger has no necessary obligation to respect your - uh....gun-like mechanisms(?) - as it's demanding a sense of subtle control over them that you neither have the bond nor mutual respect to ask for. General respect for your fellow human doesn't automatically denote that they change the way that they speak for you when it actually isn't a slur or any type of hate speech. That's something friends and family do. People who actually care about you outside of just you being a fellow living individual that deserves basic human rights.

It's similar to telling someone to stop saying "Peanut butter" or "Crash" or "Boulderdash" because it reminds you of a past trauma. It's literally just a word that can contextually be positive ("Good job staying cool and not getting triggered in that last game man!"), neutral ("Man I'm so salty and triggered right now this stupid ticket is gonna ruin my bills this month."), or negative ("Ay yo-" you get the idea...). It has nothing to do with anything outside of context. Besides, telling people what not to say "just because you don't like it" isn't right. Like, it's literally morally wrong (imo).

Last edited:

Raever

Chaotic Neutral Wreckage
May I ask why it's unexpected?

Well, for context purposes I live in the US. Land of the free and all that slogan BS.

Still, I'd be lying if I said we as a people are very oppressed generally speaking. We got our problems sure, but we also allow everyone to work, get married, go to college, etc regardless of gender or sexual orientation.

People walk down the streets of major towns and cities making jokes about being gay openly, and even most small towns I've been in have been relatively relaxed with things. There are very few places I've seen that actively hurt or went out of their way to mob gay folks and usually the small religious towns that do either do it passive-aggressively (albeit it can get dangerous no doubt) or they just don't socialize with ya much if they aren't paid to. At worse, smaller businesses might refuse service if they're religiously inclined to do so usually there's so many shops that you can always just go across the street and find what you need easily.

Comparing that to places who punish, maim, or kill on sight and see it as their religious duty the country I'm in is a paradise.

So, in a way, hearing someone uses the fandom to express themselves as [blank] due to their environmental circumstances and not just because they wanna get off or have pretty pictures with privates showing (though no shame in that either) is just...nice, and not something that someone such as myself would have thought about due to my own environmental privilege.

So that makes it unexpected.

D

Deleted member 111470

So, in a way, hearing someone uses the fandom to express themselves as [blank] due to their environmental circumstances and not just because they wanna get off or have pretty pictures with privates showing (though no shame in that either) is just...nice, and not something that someone such as myself would have thought about due to my own environmental privilege.

So that makes it unexpected.

Now you know. You can see why I don't like it when someone pops out of the woodwork, and accuses everyone who has NSFW pieces of being an imbecile. It's the same as me saying that you're a pussy-ass bitch if you don't have nsfw art when you're older than 18. It's wrong.

redhusky

Now you know. You can see why I don't like it when someone pops out of the woodwork, and accuses everyone who has NSFW pieces of being an imbecile. It's the same as me saying that you're a pussy-ass bitch if you don't have nsfw art when you're older than 18. It's wrong.
Agreed, I think the saying "Don't judge a book by it's cover" is very apt for this thread.

Raever

Chaotic Neutral Wreckage

Simo

Professional Watermelon Farmer
I think one's fursona should be as sexual as a person wants.

After all---it's a wide open space to explore everything one can imagine that might be wholly impossible, variously unlikely or dangerous in real life.

Art, fiction and role-play are boundless, open and free in comparison. One can take a character, and be as slutty as they like, and not catch a single disease. One can have a whole playroom of restraints, gadgets and kinky habiliments, and not spend a dime, even if such an outlay would be prohibitively expensive in reality. And one can do things which are wholly impossible, in reality, and share the delight of doing so with another person. On that note, it's hard to ignore how a fursona can be used in RP to interact with others in ways which are rich, symbolic, dynamic and meaningful; especially prescient in a time of social distancing.

If anything, a fursona seems especially suited to the sexual. This is not to say one has to involve sexuality at all in a fursona, but crabbing on and on, and badgering others about it strikes me as sanctimonious.

Sylwings

I don't think I'm oversexualizing my sona. he is an animal and part of being an animal is being sexual. 20% for me.

it doesn't have to stand in the way of everything really deep in having a character.

I agree to a degree that Sex fills too much. but it should not be banned or that those who are very sexual with their sona should not be ashamed.

perhaps it should be so that one should choose that one would like to see NSFW. instead of it being a preset in the gallery.

the internet is the most liberal there is. so we don't get around that NSFW will always be there. and it is up to the individual to make a choice. but we can do more for those who do not want to see NSFW.

Azeleon

gay lizard gang
I have to thoroughly agree with this post.
I'm someone who's always been in the furry community for the characters and designs and arts. Character design, be it their appearance, story, personality, etc has always been a huge passion of mine and the furry community is almost the perfect place for me, except for the problems you pointed out in this post, of too many sexualized characters and such.

I personally highly dislike NSFW art and honestly believe it's a huge reason why the average person has a negative view of the furry fandom as a whole, and I've come across a fair share of unwanted art and such throughout my years in the fandom.
I even so much as consider myself a "half furry" so that I don't associate with the NSFW side.
Now I'm not saying the NSFW side is all bad and horrible, like I said I personally hate NSFW content with something of a passion, but that doesn't mean I want it destroyed, I know that there are people out there that have their own preferences and that's fine by me, I just wish it wasn't so abundant and easy to find especially for the younger members of the fandom.

I've found plenty of characters out there who are extremely well written and designed, but I've also found countless characters designed purely for the sake of being "hot" and half the time they don't even have a name made for them.
This is kinda my jumbled mess of an opinion, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.