• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

(Rant) Why are some people so sensitive in this fandom?

ChapterAquila92

Resident Bronze Dragon Kasrkin
Banned
Ya see, the problem is that others enable their broken behaviour and thoughts. Instead of seeking help they're told to continue on and never seek it. As a teacher it disgusts me that people would tell children to never seek help

And that's why I bitch about it. Also because this shit is starting to hit Canada and we ain't need any of that
When someone tells me to go fuck myself and blocks me because I suggested politely that they change their image to a mature filter tells me everything I need to know about the thin skin of some of these fandomgoers.
I'm reminded of a particularly enlightening thread a while back that ferretsage graced with his 23-year-long insight into the fandom, starting on Page 13.

Mandragoras

Inept Abecedarian
Ya see, the problem is that others enable their broken behaviour and thoughts. Instead of seeking help they're told to continue on and never seek it. As a teacher it disgusts me that people would tell children to never seek help

And that's why I bitch about it. Also because this shit is starting to hit Canada and we ain't need any of that
Oh, I can certainly sympathise with that. One should only permit so much slack, and there is a point where another's ostensible demand for tolerance begins to creep over into an intolerance of others. Which, to put it bluntly, I can't fuck with.

That's the key, I think: Being flexible but firm.

Mandragoras

Inept Abecedarian
Not at all. Too stiff and a material becomes brittle; too much yield and you're Jell-O. I'd get into structural engineering and how bridges are built, or about how bones work or something, but I'm taking the metaphor too far here. Put simply, this sort of thing works best on a case-by-case basis, but there must be a point in any interaction where one must be able to say, "Enough is enough."

^^ Aye.

Sarachaga

Definitely not a lizard
Not at all. Too stiff and a material becomes brittle; too much yield and you're Jell-O. I'd get into structural engineering and how bridges are built, or about how bones work or something, but I'm taking the metaphor too far here. Put simply, this sort of thing works best on a case-by-case basis, but there must be a point in any interaction where one must be able to say, "Enough is enough."

^^ Aye.
I see civil engineering references. I like that. And I agree!

Mandragoras

Inept Abecedarian
If somebody really is just flat-out socially impaired, though, brute force isn't going to work. You can gently guide them in the direction of recognising how they need to do better, but yelling at them is just either going to confuse them or make them withdraw even more, which helps no-one. Again, if they're being a creep or a jerk, or they've just crossed a line, you should be direct about it, but, like, being autistic in the real world sucks, and making it suck for someone on the Internet as well isn't going to magically make them less awkward or people-dumb.

S

Sergei Sóhomo

Internet Autism is a beautiful thing, man...

Wait until you see weaponized autism. It's pretty scary

If somebody really is just flat-out socially impaired, though, brute force isn't going to work. You can gently guide them in the direction of recognising how they need to do better, but yelling at them is just either going to confuse them or make them withdraw even more, which helps no-one. Again, if they're being a creep or a jerk, or they've just crossed a line, you should be direct about it, but, like, being autistic in the real world sucks, and making it suck for someone on the Internet as well isn't going to magically make them less awkward or people-dumb.

Gotta remember that it's the internet. People don't really care on the internet

ChapterAquila92

Resident Bronze Dragon Kasrkin
Banned
Can't weaponize something if you don't know how to make it... just saying
You know, there are people out there who can't figure out how to assemble Ikea furniture. That won't stop them from using chair parts as improvised weaponry if they must. Just saying.

On a different note, you only need one Furby to take out a star destroyer. One at sufficient velocity, that is.

Last edited:

quoting_mungo

Okay, kids, time for me to step in and be the boring playground supervisor, here.

Autism is a medical/neurological diagnosis. It is incredibly disrespectful to people with that diagnosis who work hard to function in society to use it to describe behavior you find undesirable or obnoxious. Knock it off.

I'm fine with you discussing whether you think it's appropriate to take attacks on furry fandom personally, but there is absolutely no need to drag unrelated conditions into it.

D

Deleted member 82554

Settle down, mom, no one is relating internet autism to actual autism in a derogatory manner (at least I'm not), but how many act on the internet in a specific way. It may not be entirely "PC" to drag mental illnesses into the equation to describe a personality trait or specific group, but people do act in that specific way and that's how most describe them. Most are fully aware of the implications and struggles autistic's go through on a daily basis, but continually trying to create a "safe space" does not help them at all.

I'll let this fill in the gaps...

S

Sergei Sóhomo

Settle down, mom, no one is relating internet autism to actual autism in a derogatory manner (at least I'm not), but how many act on the internet in a specific way. It may not be entirely "PC" to drag mental illnesses into the equation to describe a personality trait, but people do act in that specific way and that's how most them. Most are fully aware of the implications and struggles autistisc go through in everyday life, but continually trying to create a "safe space" does not help them at all.

I'll let this fill in the gaps...

I always approve of South Park

Keeroh

Shinies Snatcher
Everyone is sensitive everywhere. This fandom isn't special. You can replicate these results in literally any fandom online. And, I'd reckon you could do so in other large social groups that are centered around the creation of goods and services that only seek to benefit those within said social group.

It's a feedback loop of self-importance. When your little circle is all you know, and someone deigns to speak ill of it, they get a little territorial.

Mandragoras

Inept Abecedarian
Gotta remember that it's the internet. People don't really care on the internet
I feel like you're setting something of an untenable double standard here, or perhaps simply not including yourself in this sentence, which is a bit disingenuous. But I've always found the "it's only the Internet, it's not real" argument really, really stupid and short-sighted to begin with, when it's not simple deflection from accusations of sadism.

S

Sergei Sóhomo

I feel like you're setting something of an untenable double standard here, or perhaps simply not including yourself in this sentence, which is a bit disingenuous. But I've always found the "it's only the Internet, it's not real" argument really, really stupid and short-sighted to begin with, when it's not simple deflection from accusations of sadism.

What I never said it wasn't real. We're behind anonymity. People are not bound to societal norms so in essence

We don't care

quoting_mungo

It may not be entirely "PC" to drag mental illnesses into the equation to describe a personality trait or specific group, but people do act in that specific way and that's how most describe them. Most are fully aware of the implications and struggles autistic's go through on a daily basis, but continually trying to create a "safe space" does not help them at all.
Yeah, no. It's not okay, it's never been okay, and it's never going to be okay. This is not up for debate.
It wasn't okay when I was little and people used celebral palsy that way.
It wasn't okay when I was in high school and people used DAMP that way.
It isn't okay now, when people use autism or Asperger's that way.

It's not about creating "safe spaces", it's about basic respect for other human beings.

Mandragoras

Inept Abecedarian
What I never said it wasn't real. We're behind anonymity. People are not bound to societal norms so in essence

We don't care
Then what's the point in being mad at someone else not obeying societal norms? There's no point in mocking or degrading someone for doing what you're doing in a slightly different way. Absolute freedom goes both ways, does it not?

Anonymity only goes so far. It's freeing, naturally, but you're still responsible for the harm you do others, whether you like it or not.