• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Rarest/Most Unusual Fursona Types?

What catagory is your fursona in?

• Furry (mammal)

Votes: 25 43.9%
  • Scalie

Votes: 7 12.3%
  • Avian

Votes: 7 12.3%
  • Fish

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • Bug

• Mythological

Votes: 6 10.5%
  • Hybrid

Votes: 4 7.0%
  • Plant/Fungus

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Alien/Xeno

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Amphibian

• Total voters

DivineFeline

Divinely Inspired
(NOTE: For the sake of discussion, 'furry' will include scalies, featheries/avians, bugsonas, fishsonas, but NOT include plants)

In your experience, what is the rarest type of fursona, or the most unusual you have seen? I mean, not taking a normal red fox and giving it galaxy fur and 50 piercings, but choosing an usual animal as a base, i.e. a Thylacine.

I would say any canid is most common, but least common had me thinking

Nigel

✮ Banter Squad Member ✮
Mythological fursonas are not that uncommon.

Asher Grey

Probably Sleeping
Probably wholly original species. I know a couple people with sonas whose species they themselves designed, then either didn't make adopts of or the adopts didn't sell.

Xitheon

I may be mad but I'm perfectly good at it.
I once saw a fursona which was half pink fairy armadillo, half velociraptor. She was kinda like Tank Girl in her style, if I remember correctly. I thought that was cool. Most people don't even know what a pink fairy armadillo is.

DivineFeline

Divinely Inspired
I once saw a fursona which was half pink fairy armadillo, half velociraptor. She was kinda like Tank Girl in her style, if I remember correctly. I thought that was cool. Most people don't even know what a pink fairy armadillo is.

... Not gonna lie, that sounds impressive and amazing as HECK

DivineFeline

Divinely Inspired
Unless you consider amphibians a scalie type, not having them in the list would make me feel specially unusual UwU
Actually I think I only saw one other frog on FAF IIRC. And they weren't a blue poison dart frog

Shoot, how did I miss that?! Added now!

Peach's

mathmagician
Cefalopods, and I am not talking obscure ones, I mean outright Octopus and Squid fursonas. It didn't dawn on me how rare it was until I watched a video explaining the anatomy of Squidlings in Splatoon. I don't think Squidlings are exactly furry, but that entire area is bizarrely untouched by the community.

I've seen Mollusks weirdly, snail anthros are always cool.

N

Nyro46

I tried to make my fursona something a bit more unusual, a caracal/osprey hybrid. I don't normally make impossible hybrid characters as they don't exist in most of my universes, but Fern doesn't belong to a set universe so it didn't matter so much. Caracals and ospreys are not that common in the fandom from what I've seen. Maybe caracals a bit more (there is a group on FA for them) but I've yet to see any ospreys at all.
And while wolves/foxes, domestic cats and some big cats (tigers, lions), and some mustelids (ferrets, weasels, martens) are common, there are other species in those groups that I have hardly seen or haven't see at all, such as certain dog breeds (Dogue de Bordeaux, Newfoundlands, Caucasian Shepherds), wild canids (bush dogs, culpeos), wild cats (caracals as I've mentioned, many other wild cats like Pallas cats, Pampas cats, etc.) and other mustelids (mink that aren't Minerva Mink, fisher cats).

Catdog

I caused a little stir.
Fish are the most uncommon ime, but I've seen a few VERY cool fish hybrids. Salmon seem to be getting really popular as well?

Mammal wise, I once had a porcupine sona but an ex roommate said "UM I KNOW ONE OF THOSE STOP TRYING TO BE UNIQUE" but I picked them for personal reasons....Just stopped using them after that and sold the character. >_>Whoops.

octopus_skeleton

I'd say invertebrates in general, aside from some of the more popular arthropods (mantids, bees, spiders, etc). When's the last time you saw a flatworm or sea pig sona?

Simo

Professional Watermelon Farmer
There's a number of animals that are not hybrids that I'd love to see more of, as fursonas:

Mongoose
Fossa (my alternate fursona!)
Ringtail Cats (related to raccoons)

...and also, more skunks, both striped and spotted, which seem quite rare, these days : )

Keefur

aka Cutter Cat
You should add a catagory for "extinct" animals. They are pretty rare, although there are lots of Sabertooths now. When I chose my fursona and made my fursuit, there were only 4 Sabertooths in the Fandom that I could find. I know that about three years ago, at Furry Weekend Atlanta, there was a photoshoot for Sabertooth fursuiters and twenty showed up. I wasn't one of them, so I would have made 21. That's a lot of Sabers.

Simo

Professional Watermelon Farmer
Sea Cucumbers.

So far, I have never met/seen anyone with a sea-cucumber fursona.