• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Sketchbook: Re-learning the fundementals (Follow along with me!)

Wanted to start a new sketchbook thread to track my progress. I’m aiming to re-learn some fundementals and see how i’ll [hopefully] improve. So... here it goes! :p (I gladly appreciate any advice! :) )
Notice: I do not take commissions/trades/requests.
While i’d love to, I’m rather uncomfortable with it as I don’t have much time or experience.

Are there any attached image files here? I don't see any; you might need to re-upload them on a different site.
Not yet, Just prepared a thread for when I do get some ready, and so I don’t forget. Lol.

C04C73A4-EEE6-4956-B66D-1C20A3B282F3.jpeg

Just a small sketch today. Hope it can serve as a ‘before’ Image for while I re-learn the fundamentals. Though critique on where I need to work on would be gladly appreciated. (Preferably through a PM)

Last edited:
And here is the other thing I worked on today
(Going to start using spoilers to save space)
I’ll be following the DrawABox course and excersizes, for reference and if anyone wants to follow along!
3FBCDF32-4AA8-478F-8EE2-293715BE0541.jpeg
The purpose of this excersize is to build confidence, stability, and drawing from the elbow skills. I think I didn’t do too bad! :)

Same excersize from above, but with curvy lines!
80E18922-1F82-4323-990A-CFB28C18A681.jpeg

Another drawing. I tried drawing a bit larger than I usually do. While I still feel unconfident/Unsatisfied/Somethings off with parts of it (Bottom left of the head for example), I still feel I made a bit of an improvement
2BED411C-E6F8-458B-8664-E0A9251BE6F2.jpeg
Advice appreciated :)

Pogo

I pounce i bounce.
This isnt advice. More of an experiment. ^^

Do you have any sharpies laying around?
Why not try tracing an outline with a marker and with a nice pen tracing the interior.

Also if you want to save your drawing from being ruined by mistake. Print a copy of your drawing before using the markers.

This isnt advice. More of an experiment. ^^

Do you have any sharpies laying around?
Why not try tracing an outline with a marker and with a nice pen tracing the interior.

Also if you want to save your drawing from being ruined by mistake. Print a copy of your drawing before using the markers.
I’ve never really used pens because of my lack of confidence with linework ^^;
I’ll go ahead and give what you said a try though. It should help with linework, right?

Pogo

I pounce i bounce.
I’ve never really used pens because of my lack of confidence with linework ^^;
I’ll go ahead and give what you said a try though. It should help with linework, right?
Right now you've only been using a pencil. Try drawing with more things maybe you'll enjoy drawing with something new. :3

My favorite pen is a .5 pilot.
Sharp, solid lines. Its a nice pen.

Right now you've only been using a pencil. Trying drawing with more things maybe you'll enjoy drawing with something new and favorite drawing tool. :3

My favorite pen is a .5 pilot.
Sharp, solid lines. Its a nice pen.
I’ll definitely consider expirimenting with a pen soon, thanks!

That's cool! I've done the same exercices too before and they helped me to steady my line :)

Have fun!

PS: And I think you're improving too ^^
Wohoo! Thanks! :)

Yep, another drawing. I thinks it’s a bit better then the last one, but some things still feel off.
9D5DC84C-7034-45A7-89FC-36F95CEDB514.jpeg
Heres to practice! :U

Renneon

nose-bleeding disaster
this one is definitely better than the last one, i think :D ! maybe the jaw is a little too long compared to the muzzle ? i'm not sure, i'm not really an anatomy master x)
You should really try to experiment with pens, sometimes using a medium that doesn't allow you to erase can really help !
it doesn't matter if you mess up, just doing some really fast doodles of anything really trains the hand (and the eyes too, i guess x) )

this one is definitely better than the last one, i think :D ! maybe the jaw is a little too long compared to the muzzle ? i'm not sure, i'm not really an anatomy master x)
You should really try to experiment with pens, sometimes using a medium that doesn't allow you to erase can really help !
it doesn't matter if you mess up, just doing some really fast doodles of anything really trains the hand (and the eyes too, i guess x) )
I’m super nervous, but I suppose I’ll try! That is if I can find my pens! :p

I second the straight to ink sketching. Its a bit daunting to sketch with something permanent, but it helped me get over the "Oh god what if I mess up" mentality I used to have. I realized that even when I mess up I can just try again.

Sketching fast motivates the artist to move on quickly and not get frustrated when one sketch isn't panning out. I stopped getting too invested in a single piece, and instead would work until I had several promising sketches I could work from. I really like timing myself. After a set amount of time I move on to the next sketch (60 sec, 5 min, 10 min, or whatever). Using photo references are good for these stages. In fact it may be worth seeking out sites that offer photo slide shows for figure drawing, those are handy.

The most important thing I can stress is drawing habitually. As in, setting aside time each day to draw. After doing that for a couple weeks you'll develop a habit for drawing, and finding the motivation to draw becomes much easier.

Here's rooting for you Tacoma! :D

I second the straight to ink sketching. Its a bit daunting to sketch with something permanent, but it helped me get over the "Oh god what if I mess up" mentality I used to have. I realized that even when I mess up I can just try again.

Sketching fast motivates the artist to move on quickly and not get frustrated when one sketch isn't panning out. I stopped getting too invested in a single piece, and instead would work until I had several promising sketches I could work from. I really like timing myself. After a set amount of time I move on to the next sketch (60 sec, 5 min, 10 min, or whatever). Using photo references are good for these stages. In fact it may be worth seeking out sites that offer photo slide shows for figure drawing, those are handy.

The most important thing I can stress is drawing habitually. As in, setting aside time each day to draw. After doing that for a couple weeks you'll develop a habit for drawing, and finding the motivation to draw becomes much easier.

Here's rooting for you Tacoma! :D
Thanks! I had never thought of using pens that way! :)

Some more practice! This time with circles or “ellipses”. I did do the ghosting planes excersizes before this, I just don’t post all of my practice. Wouldn’t want to spam :p
718597A3-9526-4C9B-B3FB-E13FD3E27D6D.jpeg
I went ahead and practiced 3 columns: Pencil, a basic hotel pen, and started with a sharpie for the third, but it died and I had to resume with a highlighter. Lol. :p

Some practice and other shennanagins later...
7032B3F6-6ACB-4E9C-9F1F-F0F545EA6518.jpeg
I’m really happy with this one! Though it could be less messy, and potentially needing some more ear practice. :)

Ahh, he is cute.

I think that braking components down could help out. (Like you were saying practicing ears) then when you get comfortable with one thing move on to the next.
Thanks
I found it helps x3
Should I do more ear practice? Or what part do you think I should do next?