• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Re-Usable Grocery Bags

This is something I randomly decided I wanted to make a thread about. So, here we go.

I just got home from grocery shopping, and for the past few trips to the store I've been using those handy-dandy re-usable canvas bags (I bought mine at Target but have been using them everywhere). The place I get my groceries (Safeway) is nice enough to give me three cents every time I use a bag. Hooray! :3

IN SHORT, what I'd like to discuss with you:

Do you use canvas bags/re-use your plastic bags?
IF SO, does the store you shop at give you a discount for doing so?

ArielMT

'Net Help Desk
The plastic bags get reused as trash bags.

I use canvas bags because I have too huge a collection of plastic bags as it is. I just have to keep remembering to put them back in my car after I go shopping. XD

Sadly, none of the places I shop at around these parts offer discounts for using reusable bags.

Even better, Wal-Mart sell their reusable bags right at the check-out line, yet nearly every check-out clerk will take a moment trying to scan them as if I was buying them. I have to start every conversation with, "I'd like to use this bag, please." A few of them continue looking for the barcode until it clicks. >.<

Monak

IN HOC SIGNO VINCES
I say more power to the hippies who have been doing it for years , and frown at those who have just fallen into it cause its whats trendy right now.

The plastic bags get reused as trash bags.

I use canvas bags because I have too huge a collection of plastic bags as it is. I just have to keep remembering to put them back in my car after I go shopping. XD

Sadly, none of the places I shop at around these parts offer discounts for using reusable bags.

Even better, Wal-Mart sell their reusable bags right at the check-out line, yet nearly every check-out clerk will take a moment trying to scan them as if I was buying them. I have to start every conversation with, "I'd like to use this bag, please." A few of them continue looking for the barcode until it clicks. >.<

I use my collection of plastic bags to keep used cat litter in. :D

Hahaha, I always worry that, since I keep my bags in my purse until I get to check-out, that someone's going to think I'm trying to steal them. I think now they're too dirty and beat-up for anyone to confuse them for one I just yanked off the shelf, though. XD

I say more power to the hippies who have been doing it for years , and frown at those who have just fallen into it cause its whats trendy right now.

My grandparents have been doing it about as long as I can remember. Funny part is, they're not even the hippie types. O: I guess they just got tired if plastic bags. XD

Yeah, I imagine a number of folks are buying into it now because of the trend. Personally, I've only had the option for about two years, and I figured I'd get a collection of plastic bags going before I converted over to canvas bags (for aforementioned cat poop purposes). I can't say I wasn't influenced by the bags that my step-mom gave me for my birthday, though (yay for useful gifts!).

countessleona

entirely composed of bamboo
I've been using reusable bags for years, because where I'm from the stores charge you five cents per disposable bag. It's not a lot, but it's enough to remind me each time I go to grocery shop that I need to take my canvas bags in with me.

I've been using reusable bags for years, because where I'm from the stores charge you five cents per disposable bag. It's not a lot, but it's enough to remind me each time I go to grocery shop that I need to take my canvas bags in with me.

Wow, really? I've been hearing rumors that they're going to start doing that in my area, too. It makes me wonder how that will work out for people who use food stamps, since you can only buy food with it. Would they have to bring nickels with them when they go shopping to pay for the bags? X3

If I ever go shopping I use my backpack, because I take my bike EVERYWHERE.

So fuck them.

Yeah, I ride the bus everywhere, so I pretty much always have a backpack with me when I go shopping.

ArielMT

'Net Help Desk
I use 'em not because they're trendy but because they're practical.
Hahaha, I always worry that, since I keep my bags in my purse until I get to check-out, that someone's going to think I'm trying to steal them. I think now they're too dirty and beat-up for anyone to confuse them for one I just yanked off the shelf, though. XD
What I ended up doing was yanking all traces of a barcode off, then, the first time I take it back to the store to reuse, I ask the greeter to put one of the return-item dots on it to show that I'm not trying to steal it. I haven't taken them off any of my bags. Despite that, I still get check-out clerks who don't get it.

I made the suggestion that they use the same removable theft-deterrent devices they use for everything else on their unsold bags, but when last I checked they still haven't. (The Wal-Mart store I shop at is even using the devices on the shopping handbaskets now.)

Shark_the_raptor

I'm in love with a pizza.
This is something I randomly decided I wanted to make a thread about. So, here we go.

I just got home from grocery shopping, and for the past few trips to the store I've been using those handy-dandy re-usable canvas bags (I bought mine at Target but have been using them everywhere). The place I get my groceries (Safeway) is nice enough to give me three cents every time I use a bag. Hooray! :3

IN SHORT, what I'd like to discuss with you:

Do you use canvas bags/re-use your plastic bags?
IF SO, does the store you shop at give you a discount for doing so?

Eh, I re-use plastic bags sometimes. No, Wal-Mart does not give me a discount for them.

What I ended up doing was yanking all traces of a barcode off, then, the first time I take it back to the store to reuse, I ask the greeter to put one of the return-item dots on it to show that I'm not trying to steal it. I haven't taken them off any of my bags. Despite that, I still get check-out clerks who don't get it.

I made the suggestion that they use the same removable theft-deterrent devices they use for everything else on their unsold bags, but when last I checked they still haven't. (The Wal-Mart store I shop at is even using the devices on the shopping handbaskets now.)

Sheesh. X3 Oh well. At first I considered scribbling something (a doodle? my initials?) on the bag, but then I realized that wouldn't make much of a difference.

Eh, I re-use plastic bags sometimes. No, Wal-Mart does not give me a discount for them.

Yeah, the only store I've encountered thus far that gives you a discount for re-using bags is Safeway.

countessleona

entirely composed of bamboo
Wow, really? I've been hearing rumors that they're going to start doing that in my area, too. It makes me wonder how that will work out for people who use food stamps, since you can only buy food with it. Would they have to bring nickels with them when they go shopping to pay for the bags? X3

As far as I know, you can buy re-usable bags with food cheques here. I dunno how it would work in the US, but here there's a list of things you can buy with food cheques and I know that reusable grocery bags are on the list.

As far as I know, you can buy re-usable bags with food cheques here. I dunno how it would work in the US, but here there's a list of things you can buy with food cheques and I know that reusable grocery bags are on the list.

Oh, cool. O: I should look up the rules for over here...

-after a few minutes of looking-

Haven't figured it out. >:C

F

Foxblade

I use plastic bags as garbage bags for my truck and the barracks.

RailRide

The Real Wheels of Steel
I save the heavier black bags for re-use. The white/tan semi-transparent ones go to the recycler.

One of the local grocery stores has made arrangements with some outfit that collects and recycles plastic bags. I now deposit my excess (that which does not get used for trash) in their collection bin. Still have to get to the enormous pile of them stuffed in a broom closet just to get them out of the way.

---PCJ

VGJustice

I kinda wish WalMart *would* give a credit for 'em, seeing as how they scream about being an environmentally friendly store. And since I came from a store that does give a discount (5 cents a bag, City Market, part of Kroger) and since I too use my backpack for exactly this, I kinda miss the discounts. :<

I save the heavier black bags for re-use. The white/tan semi-transparent ones go to the recycler.

One of the local grocery stores has made arrangements with some outfit that collects and recycles plastic bags. I now deposit my excess (that which does not get used for trash) in their collection bin. Still have to get to the enormous pile of them stuffed in a broom closet just to get them out of the way.

---PCJ

I have all my bags stashed in the cabinet under the kitchen sink. When they started falling out every time I opened the cabinet's doors I knew that my collection was sufficient. XDD

I kinda wish WalMart *would* give a credit for 'em, seeing as how they scream about being an environmentally friendly store. And since I came from a store that does give a discount (5 cents a bag, City Market, part of Kroger) and since I too use my backpack for exactly this, I kinda miss the discounts. :<

5 cents a bag is pretty good. O: Kroger sure does own a lot of different stores, around here we have QFC and Fred Meyer (both are Kroger stores).

ToeClaws

PEBKAC exterminator
All major grocery stores that I've been to in Ontario sell reusable bags, as well as most other types of stores as well. Not sure about Walmart - refuse to ever shop at one.

I use the reusable bags all the time, though none of the stores offer any discount for doing so (technically, why would they? Plastic bags only run them about 2 cents a bag, if that). On an interesting side note, many of the plastic bags in Ontario use a special type of plastic that is specifically engineered to breakdown with exposure to sunlight. Of course, that's not perfect since if its buried in a pile of trash it doesn't decompose, but it's at least better than regular plastic.

Most of the stores here also have plastic bag recycling where you can bring them in rather than throwing them out. What I'd like to see if all stores simply discontinuing the use of plastic bags and forcing the use of reusable ones.

All major grocery stores that I've been to in Ontario sell reusable bags, as well as most other types of stores as well. Not sure about Walmart - refuse to ever shop at one.

I use the reusable bags all the time, though none of the stores offer any discount for doing so (technically, why would they? Plastic bags only run them about 2 cents a bag, if that). On an interesting side note, many of the plastic bags in Ontario use a special type of plastic that is specifically engineered to breakdown with exposure to sunlight. Of course, that's not perfect since if its buried in a pile of trash it doesn't decompose, but it's at least better than regular plastic.

Most of the stores here also have plastic bag recycling where you can bring them in rather than throwing them out. What I'd like to see if all stores simply discontinuing the use of plastic bags and forcing the use of reusable ones.

I think the whole giving-people-a-few-cents-for-using-canvas-bags thing is more of an incentive (small as it is) than it is a THANKS FOR SAVING US MONEY thing.

diosoth

Banned
Banned
Wal-Mart here won't let you take them into the store. They're afraid people will use them for theft.

ToeClaws

PEBKAC exterminator
I think the whole giving-people-a-few-cents-for-using-canvas-bags thing is more of an incentive (small as it is) than it is a THANKS FOR SAVING US MONEY thing.

Probably, though if they just stopped using plastic, people would be left with little choice. Problem is that stores fear customer's complaining instead of telling the whiners to go to hell (and shop somewhere else). Or... *chuckles* Could just keep using plastic bags and print in bold letters "I HATE THE ENVIRONMENT AND ALL OF YOU WITH IT" on the sides. :p

Wal-Mart here won't let you take them into the store. They're afraid people will use them for theft.

Not sure what they do here - like I said, I refuse to shop at them. Would love to see them go out of business, or at the very least, be banned from Canada.

One neat reusable bag approach we have here is at a store called Canadian Tire. They're like a hardware store combined with an automotive shop, high-end housewares and electronics in one place (said for the benefit of those not in Canada). They have a reusable bag that's larger than most other places, yet cheaper (they vary between 49 to 69 cents). Amusingly the bad is jet black, but written on the side in big white letters is "This bag is green." ;)