• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Read This Slowly...

Status
Not open for further replies.

CAThulu

In FAF CAThulu lies dreaming..
in reality I wouldnt care if some lil girl died in a car accident, and dont try the "what if it was a family member" bit on me, in my family we accepted death as it is, and everyone dies. may it be old age, by someone elses hands or their own.

^ this

Not to say people aren't accountable for the death of another, but when it's your time, it's your time.

Nylak

Angry Otter
in reality I wouldnt care if some lil girl died in a car accident, and dont try the "what if it was a family member" bit on me, in my family we accepted death as it is, and everyone dies. may it be old age, by someone elses hands or their own.

Wow, it really wouldn't bother you if you unnecessarily caused the death of a child (or anyone, for that matter) by behaving recklessly or dangerously? That's pretty cold, man.

Won't lecture or anything, but wow.

Sure, death happens to everyone; it's a necessary facet of life that's become warped by our culture and society into something unnatural. And even though I personally believe in the immortality of the soul and that death is only a single isolated step in the process of existence, to me it's still a reason to mourn, especially when it's untimely or uncalled for. Two weeks ago I was involved in an accident that resulted in a death of a pregnant doe, and I was hung up over it enough to be almost dysfunctional for days--perhaps an overreaction or a result of shock, but I still couldn't shake the guilt.

But I guess everyone views such things differently.

Last edited:

Verin Asper

The Smart Idiot
Wow, it really wouldn't bother you if you unnecessarily caused the death of a child (or anyone, for that matter) by behaving recklessly or dangerously? That's pretty cold, man.

Won't lecture or anything, but wow.

Sure, death happens to everyone; it's a necessary facet of life that's become warped by our culture and society into something unnatural. And even though I personally believe in the immortality of the soul and that death is only a single isolated step in the process of existence, to me it's still a reason to mourn, especially when it's untimely or uncalled for. Two weeks ago I was involved in an accident that resulted in a death of a pregnant doe, and I was hung up over it enough to be almost dysfunctional for days--perhaps an overreaction or a result of shock, but I still couldn't shake the guilt.

But I guess everyone views such things differently.

Death doesnt care if you are young or old, and doesnt care how you die, it comes, it takes, it continues its job. I accidently killed my friend once...didnt know he couldnt swim just yet, neither could I. Yet out of both of us to be able to come to the land of the living...It was me. I was taught when someone dies their time has come, you do not shed tears for them for to us its disrespectful. We honor the memory of them if they are close friends, and for others a peaceful new life.

You can say my family line..our hearts are naturally frozen over. If anyone here in this forum was to die Morrow...I would simply hope them a peaceful next life...and continue on with mines.

lilEmber

Small Dragon
As for Newf's comment, tickets are at an officer's discretion. Watch "Speeders", and you'll see many instances of cops letting speeders and other traffic offenders off with just a friendly warning.
They shouldn't be. Just because it is, doesn't mean it should.

... and the whole point of the story isn't the religion, understand?
Then why does it mention religion several times? Oh right, it's about not doing wrong things because it might hurt other people, with a massive dose of religion on the side. Religion taints everything it touches, everything. Also, this story sucks; isn't interesting, new, nor does it hold a immensely valuable point.

It's spam I would find in my junk folder of my email; something I wouldn't even use to heat my home in a fire.

CAThulu

In FAF CAThulu lies dreaming..

Carenath

Cynical Dragon
Personally, I thought it was a good story, and appreciate your sharing it with us. If more people would think about what they're putting at risk when they behave in a dangerous manner on the roads, maybe we'd have less car accident fatalities.
Sadly some people have to learn things the hard way.

Wait a minute, what the fuck am I saying. Furries? Accepting others' differences? Forgive my temporary lapse of sanity. >_>
Got to love the irony... or is it hypocracy... or both?

It's relatively rare to develop a strict moral fibre completely on your own; you are a creature of your environment
Well I was raised Catholic, but I never once accepted it, I resented every mention of it, every Sunday of sitting through Mass, every stupid little ceremony I had to go through, just to keep my parents happy. Catholicism had no impact on my morals. It was nothing to do with my parents either, it was a personal realisation for myself, that the way I was acting was indirectly hurting me, by driving away others and keeping me alone. That is what made me decide to change for the better, but I live by my own sence of morality, my own idea of what is right and what is wrong, and these dont always fit with everyone elses.

Nylak

Angry Otter
Death doesnt care if you are young or old, and doesnt care how you die, it comes, it takes, it continues its job.
While I understand and agree with that concept, I also personally believe in the concept of free will--that we're able to make our own choices and behave in a manner according to our own devices. If your choice to do something unlawful that you know is dangerous to yourself and others results in the death of another individual, yes, you're acting as an agent of their "destiny," to use an overplayed term, but if you hadn't chosen to do that unlawful thing, they wouldn't have been killed. Perhaps they would have died some other way, sure, but their death wouldn't be on your hands. It is quite directly your fault that they're dead, whether you blame God, destiny, or whatever other higher power you choose to substitute to make yourself feel better.

It's really like walking up to someone, stabbing them to death, and then sauntering off without guilt. After all, it was "their time to die;" if you hadn't done it, something or someone else would have.

I was taught when someone dies their time has come, you do not shed tears for them for to us its disrespectful. We honor the memory of them if they are close friends, and for others a peaceful new life.

You can say my family line..our hearts are naturally frozen over. If anyone here in this forum was to die Morrow...I would simply hope them a peaceful next life...and continue on with mines.

While that in part strikes me as a healthy perspective (the intense grieving associated with death in our society bothers me immensely, and funerals are a chore I have to endure all too often for my own taste), it also seems incredibly sad, in its own way.

I don't know. I guess mourning, for me, is my expression of grief that a beloved facet of my life has been removed from it. It's not "they're dead and gone forever," but "I love my friend, but now I won't be able to spend time with her anymore." Selfish, perhaps, but such is the human condition.

Mayfurr

Mostly Harmless
Then why does it mention religion several times? Oh right, it's about not doing wrong things because it might hurt other people, with a massive dose of religion on the side. .

While I share similar feelings to you on the subject of religion, in this instance it was simply in the context of one person's emotional reaction to the loss of their daughter. If the traffic cop had gone all street-preacher on the speeder's arse invoking JEEZUS and ALMIGHTY GAWD I would share your objection, but as it isn't the case in this story I don't have a problem with it.

(Geez Roose, we actually agree on something?!?)

Nylak

Angry Otter
Sadly some people have to learn things the hard way.
Very true. Just hearing a story very rarely impacts one's later behavior. Even experiences fade with time.

Got to love the irony... or is it hypocracy... or both?
...I'm not sure. Ironic because I'm a furry that claims to be at least somewhat religiously tolerant and accuses furries of being intolerant, or hypocritical by...err...crap, I think I just broke my brain. D:

Either way, I admit I'm a self-hating furry, and my tolerance level could always be amped up a few notches. I've been known to get cranky/argumentative, as I've already displayed above.

Well I was raised Catholic, but I never once accepted it, I resented every mention of it, every Sunday of sitting through Mass, every stupid little ceremony I had to go through, just to keep my parents happy. Catholicism had no impact on my morals. It was nothing to do with my parents either, it was a personal realisation for myself, that the way I was acting was indirectly hurting me, by driving away others and keeping me alone. That is what made me decide to change for the better, but I live by my own sence of morality, my own idea of what is right and what is wrong, and these dont always fit with everyone elses.
Sure sure, but you do have to at least accept that society has impacted your morals. Do you believe that cold-blooded murder is wrong? Most people generally do, because our society has taught us this. Most people believe killing in most scenarios, even with some justification, still warrants some repentance. However, some other human societies and cultures do not. Same with our opinions on perhaps more trivial things such as drugs, sex, marriage, abortion, racism, sexual orientation...any number of things.

You are impacted by your environment. Had you been raised by wolves on a desert island (forgive the exaggeration...perhaps, if you'd been raised in the middle east, or in a tribe in Africa), I'm sure you'd agree you'd have a significantly different perspective on such things than you do now.

Verin Asper

The Smart Idiot
While I understand and agree with that concept, I also personally believe in the concept of free will--that we're able to make our own choices and behave in a manner according to our own devices. If your choice to do something unlawful that you know is dangerous to yourself and others results in the death of another individual, yes, you're acting as an agent of their "destiny," to use an overplayed term, but if you hadn't chosen to do that unlawful thing, they wouldn't have been killed. Perhaps they would have died some other way, sure, but their death wouldn't be on your hands. It is quite directly your fault that they're dead, whether you blame God, destiny, or whatever other higher power you choose to substitute to make yourself feel better.

It's really like walking up to someone, stabbing them to death, and then sauntering off without guilt. After all, it was "their time to die;" if you hadn't done it, something or someone else would have.
Lets say I accidently hit someone while driving...I later found out I killed them, I would take my punishment for doing so...but I Sure as hell wouldnt feel guilty about doing it. Just like you said if it wasnt me who ended up ending that person's life someone else would, so whats the point on feeling guilty over something random?

While that in part strikes me as a healthy perspective (the intense grieving associated with death in our society bothers me immensely, and funerals are a chore I have to endure all too often for my own taste), it also seems incredibly sad, in its own way.

I don't know. I guess mourning, for me, is my expression of grief that a beloved facet of my life has been removed from it. It's not "they're dead and gone forever," but "I love my friend, but now I won't be able to spend time with her anymore." Selfish, perhaps, but such is the human condition.
You already stated it, everyone have their own way on dealing with that. my family opted to just accept death as it is, and give respect to those who did die. In my Family when someone dies we have a party to remember them by, talk about all the things they have done in their life. I guess we rather think a person who have gone from this world have a happy time remembering them...instead of a grieving one

jagdwolf

Just a simple innocent Wolf
I paid my way through my sophmore, and junior year in HS (private southern baptist christian school, education was good, but the religion BS was well, BS) at the Marion Nelson Funeral Home in Lake Wales Fl. This was 79, 80 and before EMT/EMS were no more than a few letters in teh alphabet. I got to see so much death and crushed family members that I am numb to death. The story is cute, but to me quit pointless. You need to think about your actions at every turn not just when reminded. But thats just me.

Nylak

Angry Otter
Lets say I accidently hit someone while driving...I later found out I killed them, I would take my punishment for doing so...but I Sure as hell wouldnt feel guilty about doing it. Just like you said if it wasnt me who ended up ending that person's life someone else would, so whats the point on feeling guilty over something random?

Yes, but, see, the scenario being discussed is that you were doing something wrong, not just innocently driving about, and the accident was not just a random occurence. The accident occured because you chose to behave in a dangerous fashion; had you not done this, the person would have lived. It's not random. It's definitely your fault. Sure, you didn't go out with the mindset of "I'm gonna run down some kid in my Ford today, ahyuck," but rather "I'm going to go 20 miles over the speed limit, even though I know this significantly increases the liklihood of my having an accident and causing harm to myself or an innocent person."

If your choice results in the death of another person that could have otherwise been avoided, yes, you should feel guilty about it, and it kind of worries me that you wouldn't.

Sorry, I wouldn't be pursuing the matter if it didn't concern me so much that there are people out there who really don't care if their destructive choices harm other people. I've had a friend and a cousin both killed by drunk drivers, so it sort of hits a sore spot.

...I'll shut up and stop picking at you now. I know it won't change your mindset, so I'm just being an annoyance. e_e

Chronic

Banned
Banned
Boorrinng. No explosions or detailed death scenes. I give this story 2/10. (Extra point for death being alluded to.)

Yes, I'm a terrible person. Waha!

Aryeonos

Gimme Back My Post Count!
Man I was hoping there would be a hidden message in it and a questionnaire at the end.

And besides the cop should be happy; her daughter got to heaven allot quicker than he did.

Roose Hurro

Lovable Curmudgeon
Banned
Sob stories never really worked on me. They usually make me want to hurt someone.

Yes, I get it, <insert action> is bad. It's all just theory though, people need to see the results in practice to really have it hammered home.

Make them watch videos, traffic shots, whatever, about fatal speeding accidents. Gore-filled and all. Body parts strewn about. That'll show them. Not these feel-good-about-yourself shitty stories.

Firstly, in what way did this story make anyone "feel good" about themselves? The speeder involved, if anything, must have felt like an absolute lout. Re-read the story, hmmm?

Secondly, I've seen the vids/shots/whatever, gore and all (human brain tissue is not pretty).........

I hate cars. :cool:

I love cars...

Sorry, doesn't work that way... just because people die doesn't mean you can be careless with how you conduct yourself in life. Especially when your actions affect others. Death comes to all, yes, but don't think you can take over the "Angel of Death's" job. In other words, Don't piss on other people's karma.

While I share similar feelings to you on the subject of religion, in this instance it was simply in the context of one person's emotional reaction to the loss of their daughter. If the traffic cop had gone all street-preacher on the speeder's arse invoking JEEZUS and ALMIGHTY GAWD I would share your objection, but as it isn't the case in this story I don't have a problem with it.

(Geez Roose, we actually agree on something?!?)

I guess we do, Mayfurr... strange world, isn't it? And, like Nylak, you get the point...

... this story is a simple "slice of life" I found said much with little.

Last edited:

Verin Asper

The Smart Idiot
Sorry, doesn't work that way... just because people die doesn't mean you can be careless with how you conduct yourself in life. Especially when your actions affect others. Death comes to all, yes, but don't think you can take over the "Angel of Death's" job. In other words, Don't piss on other people's karma.
Sadly People are Careless, I have no regard for anyone else live including my own. I can say this cause I'm fucking juggling knives at work when i'm bored.

Carenath

Cynical Dragon
...I'm not sure. Ironic because I'm a furry that claims to be at least somewhat religiously tolerant and accuses furries of being intolerant, or hypocritical by...err...crap, I think I just broke my brain. D:

Either way, I admit I'm a self-hating furry, and my tolerance level could always be amped up a few notches. I've been known to get cranky/argumentative, as I've already displayed above.
Actually I was going to point out the irony of furries being intolerent of others while being a group that most people are intolerent of. Or the hypocracy of a group being intolerent while bitching about others not liking them (cue: CSI and MTV fursecution complexes).

Sure sure, but you do have to at least accept that society has impacted your morals. Do you believe that cold-blooded murder is wrong? Most people generally do, because our society has taught us this. Most people believe killing in most scenarios, even with some justification, still warrants some repentance.
While society impacted my definition of morality, how else would I calibrate my moral compass... but at the same time my morality doesnt directly correlate with western society. To use your example.. I dont inherently see cold blooded murder as being wrong.

You are impacted by your environment. Had you been raised by wolves on a desert island (forgive the exaggeration...perhaps, if you'd been raised in the middle east, or in a tribe in Africa), I'm sure you'd agree you'd have a significantly different perspective on such things than you do now.
Its quite possible.

Last edited:

Verin Asper

The Smart Idiot
Yes, but, see, the scenario being discussed is that you were doing something wrong, not just innocently driving about, and the accident was not just a random occurence. The accident occured because you chose to behave in a dangerous fashion; had you not done this, the person would have lived. It's not random. It's definitely your fault. Sure, you didn't go out with the mindset of "I'm gonna run down some kid in my Ford today, ahyuck," but rather "I'm going to go 20 miles over the speed limit, even though I know this significantly increases the liklihood of my having an accident and causing harm to myself or an innocent person."

If your choice results in the death of another person that could have otherwise been avoided, yes, you should feel guilty about it, and it kind of worries me that you wouldn't.

Sorry, I wouldn't be pursuing the matter if it didn't concern me so much that there are people out there who really don't care if their destructive choices harm other people. I've had a friend and a cousin both killed by drunk drivers, so it sort of hits a sore spot.

...I'll shut up and stop picking at you now. I know it won't change your mindset, so I'm just being an annoyance. e_e

I already know my life is destructive and sadly I enjoy it too much to change, to know I will always Cheat, Steal and Lie my way even if it hurt someone. If someone ends up dying on accident then so be it, isnt gonna change anything. I'm most likly end up taking my own life cause I can only be so patient to die you know.

Jashwa

Would've been better if Jack went slow and STILL hit Bob's son and killed him on the way home.

Status
Not open for further replies.