• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Real life sidequests

Harbinger

The Last of Us.
So i've checked at a virtual notice board to see someone requesting 5 leapord slugs, contacted them, accepted the bounty, and now im about to trek off to the woods for a fetch quest.

Anyone else has any decent "O shit im in an RPG" moments?

Chuchi

Where'd the time go?
I always thought those were just part of being alive and having shit to do. Though I guess I can see how you'd liken them to RPG events.

I tend to narrate what I'm doing when on errands runs. That's kinda close, right?

Edit: Wait, someone is paying you to go out and retrieve slugs for them?

Last edited:

Harbinger

The Last of Us.
I always thought those were just part of being alive and having shit to do. Though I guess I can see how you'd liken them to RPG events.

I tend to narrate what I'm doing when on errands runs. That's kinda close, right?

Edit: Wait, someone is paying you to go out and retrieve slugs for them?

Yup :3
They gonna be filmed, BBC i think.

Coluth

It's only a quest if you have theme music.

http://youtu.be/hGNVZtkSZO4

I have supplied your theme music. It is now a quest. Beware the Whizzards.
20111118-pissworld.png

And maybe the Bridge Trolls.

Edit: I don't know why it won't let me post a picture.... :(

Last edited:

Sarcastic Coffeecup

Hand. Cannot. Erase.
Oh man, I wonder if there was a IRL quest thing online somewhere, like an internet bounty board purely for derping for fun's sake.
There's HabitRPG that kinda does it, but it's like its name says, about habits. Still a ton of fun.

Chuchi

Where'd the time go?
Yup :3
They gonna be filmed, BBC i think.
Maaaaaan, I never got cool quests/tasks like that.

Other than being a human prop for SWAT training. Learned how much flashbangs hurt that day.
And random security contracts.

._. I wanna get paid to find slugs.

Distorted

At my old job, I would do little side quests for customers all the time. I would pass a message, finding an item or even make something after hunting the components. It was good Exp. and sometimes I even got a reward out of it.

I don't care so much about the payoff. I just enjoy the quest.

Kaedal

Punny User Title
I don't think most "side quests" are as fairly rewarded as they should be. For me to go around scouring through the muddy forest to find slugs, the reward would have to be good.

Maaaaaan, I never got cool quests/tasks like that.

Other than being a human prop for SWAT training. Learned how much flashbangs hurt that day.
And random security contracts.

._. I wanna get paid to find slugs.
Punching Bag

Stand around and be used as a training prop.

+5 Endurance, +5 Strength, or 200 gold.

Coluth

And to think of how many times I did that kind of "work" for free when I was a kid.

I used to get paid to capture rattlesnakes in the neighborhood. Bought lots of books with that money. Had repeat business too. I'd always live capture and return them to the wild. Which meant I'd catch them, put them in a bag, and let them go at the end of the street.

SkyboundTerror

Thrashing About
I feel like I'm doing a side-quest anytime I step out of my room. I guess it's just proof that my life is far from exciting right now. lol

WolfNightV4X1

King of Kawaii; That Token Femboy
...having to walk for an hour and a half home and trying to guess the direction you're supposed to walk, also nearly dying under the heat of the sun, pushing yourself to the limit, collapsing for a minute when you get on your front lawn, then finally making it to the kitchen to drink they victory ale and peel off your sweaty clothes and lie under the fan for 30 fucking minutes

Does that count?

Chuchi

Where'd the time go?
I don't think most "side quests" are as fairly rewarded as they should be. For me to go around scouring through the muddy forest to find slugs, the reward would have to be good.

Punching Bag

Stand around and be used as a training prop.

+5 Endurance, +5 Strength, or 200 gold.
More like negative modifiers to hearing checks for a day or so, random -HP and bruises, oh and I got shot in the arm with the training rounds.

Endurance and strength gain I would agree with though.
Let's not forget the ridiculous willpower saves to not mess my tac-pants having a bunch of buff cop guys rustle and pile on me. :3

I wish I got paid for that shit though. I'd have to say it was a sidequest though, since it was optional and I volunteered for it.

Eggdodger

Mourning Dove
More like negative modifiers to hearing checks for a day or so, random -HP and bruises, oh and I got shot in the arm with the training rounds.

Endurance and strength gain I would agree with though.
Let's not forget the ridiculous willpower saves to not mess my tac-pants having a bunch of buff cop guys rustle and pile on me. :3

I wish I got paid for that shit though. I'd have to say it was a sidequest though, since it was optional and I volunteered for it.

You can...
volunteer...
to be a human prop for SWAT dudes???

I hope this was before you moved to Finland, because that sounds awesome!

Chuchi

Where'd the time go?
You can...
volunteer...
to be a human prop for SWAT dudes???

I hope this was before you moved to Finland, because that sounds awesome!
Yeah, but it was while I was doing my LE training. It was pretty common for the county SWAT team to use trainees from my program for props in there training. Plus we got credited for doing it.
I've also participated in training for active-shooter in a school setting, run by one of the SWAT members. And one of my teachers/trainers was a member of the team as well, and also taught Computer Crimes.
You know that show, 'To Catch a Predator' or whatever, I got to do something like that. I didn't get any takers, though, if you catch my meaning.

Eggdodger

Mourning Dove
Lets start one! Regular People Quests! From the ridiculous to the mundane!

That would be a good idea for a forum game, maybe? We could have people take pictures of their accomplishments.
A website would be cool, too. It'd be like Craigslist except hopefully less creepy.

Yeah, but it was while I was doing my LE training. It was pretty common for the county SWAT team to use trainees from my program for props in there training. Plus we got credited for doing it.
I've also participated in training for active-shooter in a school setting, run by one of the SWAT members. And one of my teachers/trainers was a member of the team as well, and also taught Computer Crimes.
You know that show, 'To Catch a Predator' or whatever, I got to do something like that. I didn't get any takers, though, if you catch my meaning.

You're cool. Mega respect here.

Taralack

Hit 'em right between the eyes
This reminds me of a comic one of my guildies posted on the guild FB page yesterday

10733965_10152847635006563_3705553245199734695_n.jpg

Lomberdia

Selling bookmarks!
I used to pretend everything had an invisible health bar before breaking/dying. Like if you kick a bottle a few times it reduces its health until that one kick shatters it. Thats when the HP hits 0.

Teckolf

Drank ALL the Coffee!!!
Nerds...

But yeah I agree with Hewge.

Not so much the sidequest thing but I do tend to experience a "robot/cyborg" view of the world sometimes. I have spent so much time doing calculations on the most mundane shit that sometimes I look at something an break it down to simple, dimensioned, lines and apply equations or properties to the object in question. Or I will make an "exploded" view of the object and categorize it by it's components. It honestly gets really freaking annoying as I can't turn it off... But it does allow me to source parts and build things more rapidly.

Last edited: