• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Real life vs Online, the furry stigma

P

Purplefuzz

reddit is a cesspool anyway. irl here in australia nobody knows what a furry is. so its generally fine

So true, I stopped being active there because i couldn't express my self. Without -8 from people i hope are just insufferable early 20 somethings.

Same from my experince all i get if i bring furries is just harmless what that or them going oh a fantasy hobby. lol

Something that surprises me is how frequent negative sentiments about furries are in otherwise quite accepting communities like some subreddits.

Blame the hate subs, trolls and the downvote system for that. I've seen quite few dumb crap seen as community fact go through, that makes my eyes roll up to my brain. I had stop when /r/headphones did that a lot to the point it's a self unware cesspit of top "experts" and easily upset assholes, Attacking anyone they disagreed with.

S

SLB-Portu24

I can accept negative views on the fandom as a whole as it certainly has flaws and dastardly components within borders, this can't be honestly denied, the fandom isn't immune to the bad traits embedded in human nature, no branch of human society is. Yet, when people are throwing and spreading around such severe character and dignity killing misconceptions like furries in general being either zoophiles or pedophiles, this goes off the ethical charts on the criticism spectrum. I think some of these individuals don't even properly grasp the gravity attached onto leaking out claims of this kind and how destructive they can become for someone who gets unreasonably caught up under those highly nefarious labels. It never ceases to amaze how malicious and unfair people can be towards each other.

P

Purplefuzz

Yet, when people are throwing and spreading around such severe character and dignity killing misconceptions like furries in general being either zoophiles or pedophiles, this goes off the ethical charts on the criticism spectrum. I think some of these individuals don't even properly grasp the gravity attached onto leaking out claims of this kind and how destructive they can become for someone who gets unreasonably caught up under those highly nefarious labels. It never ceases to amaze how malicious and unfair people can be towards each other.

I just see it as how worthless of person they are or how stupid they are?. Because I'm sure they gonna shit thier pants if that back fires on them.

It's not even furries that get that level of abuse. Go to any gaming forum watch them cry how furries are ruining gaming as if thier empty heads forgot that anthro's are not a furry only concept. That also why getting bias free furry drama or news is like peeing in the wind, Because its always by some caveman who sounds 15 who has a furry hateboner.

Heck bronies for years had to deal with dumb as hell your a pedophile type accusations. Because a dude enjoying a girly show as too much, Despite the ones hating were in just as child like fandoms but because they were male focused it got a free pass???.

S

SLB-Portu24

The internet is full of pseudo experts in all sorts of matters who get an urge to aggressively correct or contradict someone exposing an opinion or behaviour they don't agree with, sometimes they'll even come in flocks for a full blown harassment to preach that likeminded stupidity on unprepared victims as this brings their self esteem up. We have those who seek validation by doing good and those who seek it by pushing others down, so they can stand taller and the virtual realm is mainly home to the later. Physical real world bullies greatly pale in comparison to online ones, that's where the tools for being a completely despicable individual with little effort or risk involved are available and let's be honest here, being bad does feel good for a lot of people out there.

P

Purplefuzz

The internet is full of pseudo experts in all sorts of matters who get an urge to aggressively correct or contradict someone exposing an opinion or behaviour they don't agree with, sometimes they'll even come in flocks for a full blown harassment to preach that likeminded stupidity on unprepared victims as this brings their self esteem up. We have those who seek validation by doing good and those who seek it by pushing others down, so they can stand taller and the virtual realm is mainly home to the later. Physical real world bullies greatly pale in comparison to online ones, that's where the tools for being a completely despicable individual with little effort or risk involved are available and let's be honest here, being bad does feel good for a lot of people out there.

God that almost gives me black mirror vibes, I laugh if they did a episode poking that issue with online communities in a darkly comic fashion. Also in a very low key fashion i see it all the time on few sites, Like some users being assholes for no reason. Which i noticed a lot on Hydrogen audio forums and ASR forums few times.

Last edited by a moderator:
S

SLB-Portu24

God that almost gives me black mirror vibes, I laugh if they did a episode poking that issue with online communities in a darkly comic fashion. Also in a very low key fashion i see it all the time on few sites, Like some users being assholes for no reason. Which i noticed a lot on Hydrogen audio forums.
There is a site called sofifa which is basically a database for the FIFA games franchise featuring every player and team present in them along with the respective specific details. Each registed entity on the site has a page where you can leave comments about it and I'm not gonna lie, its home to some majorly disgusting people, respect and consideration for others isn't a thing there, heated conflicts over distinct opinions are a constant presence, insults are thrown at will and most shockingly of all, I've seen people literally mocking players who passed away on tragic accidents over on their pages, like how putrid can one be to find this somewhat amusing?

Its probably one of the most toxic and unethical video game and/or sport centred communities out there, kind of a very compressed YouTube comment section realm. I get genuinely baffled at what some people are able to say or do to each other with absolutely no remorse or shame whatsoever over minimal occurrences or due to a lack of intricate understanding, in fact, I do believe folks often purposely misinterpret what they read just so they can effectively formulate a response that makes whoever's the author of said written piece is look as dumb and misinformed as possible while they clearly appear to be intellectually superior.

P

Purplefuzz

There is a site called sofifa which is basically a database for the FIFA games franchise featuring every player and team present in them along with the respective specific details. Each registed entity on the site has a page where you can leave comments about it and I'm not gonna lie, its home to some majorly disgusting people, respect and consideration for others isn't a thing there, heated conflicts over distinct opinions are a constant presence, insults are thrown at will and most shockingly of all, I've seen people literally mocking players who passed away on tragic accidents over on their pages, like how putrid can one be to find this somewhat amusing?

Its probably one of the most toxic and unethical video game and/or sport centred communities out there, kind of a very compressed YouTube comment section realm. I get genuinely baffled at what some people are able to say or do to each other with absolutely no remorse or shame whatsoever over minimal occurrences or due to a lack of intricate understanding, in fact, I do believe folks often purposely misinterpret what they read just so they can effectively formulate a response that makes whoever's the author of said written piece is look as dumb and misinformed as possible while they clearly appear to be intellectually superior.

Because gaming is full of 12 year olds, neckbeards and manchildern which makes the online area being toxic to be expected. I think i remember reading on a gamingcirclejerk sub were few women/dudes, Were talking about a teen having a neclear meltdown over people being gay. At the end of the day its so fucking funny how they would crumble the moment they got beat up over there worthless crap. We really are no different to those chimps that go crazy at the zoo. lol

S

SLB-Portu24

Because gaming is full of 12 year olds, neckbeards and manchildern which makes the online area being toxic to be expected. I think i remember reading on a gamingcirclejerk sub were few women/dudes, Were talking about a teen having a neclear meltdown over people being gay. At the end of the day its so fucking funny how they would crumble the moment they got beat up over there worthless crap. We really are no different to those chimps that go crazy at the zoo. lol
I can excuse the 12 year olds since they are still at an early stage of their maturing as human beings but when such behaviours are consistently displayed by people over 18, then that's truly a case for puzzlement and concern because it shouldn't be happening hence something has to be fundamentally broken there. We can all have emotional lapses and act like jerks once in a while, its an exception to the rule as everyone is prone to breaking down at some point which is a whole different story to rarely being anything other than a total ass when approaching people. The later scenario is surely not something expected to come from a half decent person.

P

Purplefuzz

I can excuse the 12 year olds since they are still at an early stage of their maturing as human beings but when such behaviours are consistently displayed by people over 18, then that's truly a case for puzzlement and concern because it shouldn't be happening hence something has to be fundamentally broken there. We can all have emotional lapses and act like jerks once in a while, its an exception to the rule as everyone is prone to breaking down at some point which is a whole different story to rarely being anything other than a total ass when approaching people. The later scenario is surely not something expected to come from a half decent person.

Yeah over 18 they should be treated as a unstable asshole. Since they should be old enough to understand what right or wrong, Also that people have there own things they enjoy that should be respected. I take back the 12 year olds because on Reddit I've seen few who did that show remorse for the trolling from there teen era. Meanwhile you have people from 23 to 52 act like crazy clowns online posting messed up shit, Who lash out when it backfires.

S

SLB-Portu24

Yeah over 18 they should be treated as a unstable asshole. Since they should be old enough to understand what right or wrong, Also that people have there own things they enjoy that should be respected. I take back the 12 year olds because on Reddit I've seen few who did that show remorse for the trolling from there teen era. Meanwhile you have people from 23 to 52 act like crazy clowns online posting messed up shit, Who lash out when it backfires.
Its indeed funny to see when people who frequently post provocative or straight up insulting material turn all defensive and try to antagonize others even further after the poison they unleash sparks a similarly aggressive reaction from the targeted end as if they are expecting to be the only ones legally allowed to express whatever they want without any major repercussions. Its a mindset of individuals who are pretty delusional about the world they live on and hold a massively inflated perception of their own self importance as if everything that matters revolves around them.

Troj

Your Friendly Neighborhood Dino Therapist
Something that surprises me is how frequent negative sentiments about furries are in otherwise quite accepting communities like some subreddits.

Yep! I've seen it with people who were all about compassion and social justice, except when it came to furries. It's truly wild to hear someone decry queerphobia one minute, and then repeat fundamentally-queerphobic anti-furry talking points the next.

But, I've been pleasantly surprised by some leftist posting groups that have not only been totally chill about furries, but have even yeeted outspoken furry-bashers!

MaelstromEyre

Slippery When Wet
Yep! I've seen it with people who were all about compassion and social justice, except when it came to furries. It's truly wild to hear someone decry queerphobia one minute, and then repeat fundamentally-queerphobic anti-furry talking points the next.

But, I've been pleasantly surprised by some leftist posting groups that have not only been totally chill about furries, but have even yeeted outspoken furry-bashers!

I recently left a Facebook group for people who are Introverts because of the furry bashing - especially considering it was supposed to be a place for Introverts. . .and there are a lot of introverts in the fandom. People create their fursonas, and fursuit, as a way to come out of their shell. So, basically the people in that group were bashing other introverts for finding a way to break out, just because they were "weird furries." I had enough - and the mods muted ME for defending the fandom. Wasn't worth the effort.

P

Purplefuzz

Its indeed funny to see when people who frequently post provocative or straight up insulting material turn all defensive and try to antagonize others even further after the poison they unleash sparks a similarly aggressive reaction from the targeted end as if they are expecting to be the only ones legally allowed to express whatever they want without any major repercussions. Its a mindset of individuals who are pretty delusional about the world they live on and hold a massively inflated perception of their own self importance as if everything that matters revolves around them.

Sums up my time when i used Audiosciencereview, Stopped posting there because it filled with rude people. Who get hostile if you challenge there views/opinions, One thread there was locked because it became clear. When that happens they'll just brand you as a dumb subjectivist because for being skeptic or disagree with thier objective views, Instead of arguing the point.

I highly disagree with there view on guessing sound quailty through distortion levels, Which one called me a troll or just a link some software. That never answerd my point or question, That is a pretty bad way of judging sound things. But then again that means it makes there DAC/amp test's void an we can't have that. lol

I recently left a Facebook group for people who are Introverts because of the furry bashing - especially considering it was supposed to be a place for Introverts. . .and there are a lot of introverts in the fandom. People create their fursonas, and fursuit, as a way to come out of their shell. So, basically the people in that group were bashing other introverts for finding a way to break out, just because they were "weird furries." I had enough - and the mods muted ME for defending the fandom. Wasn't worth the effort.

Never understood online groups that paint themsleves as accepting, then cry/lash out that furries are a thing. With no clue at how dumb and hypocritical they come of as?, At least on Reddit when it happens they get downvoted or called out.

S

SLB-Portu24

Sums up my time when i used Audiosciencereview, Stopped posting there because it filled with rude people. Who get hostile if you challenge there views/opinions, One thread there was locked because it became clear. When that happens they'll just brand you as a dumb subjectivist because for being skeptic or disagree with thier objective views, Instead of arguing the point.

I highly disagree with there view on guessing sound quailty through distortion levels, Which one called me a troll or just a link some software. That never answerd my point or question, That is a pretty bad way of judging sound things. But then again that means it makes there DAC/amp test's void an we can't have that. lol

Never understood online groups that paint themsleves as accepting, then cry/lash out that furries are a thing. With no clue at how dumb and hypocritical they come of as?, At least on Reddit when it happens they get downvoted or called out.
This commonly witnessed reality surrounding unreasonable internet hostility is perhaps the main reason why despite apparently having little to relate about as a furry within the fandom, I remain attached to it because honestly, the chances of being harassed here for owning a peculiar opinion on a specific subject are noticeably minor than in other mainstream niche communities, as long as we aren't referring to politics since that topic seems to unleash carnage pretty much everywhere but thankfully, I'm not into said matters.

The way you got shown hate over such a trivial discussion truly highlights the spiteful nature some people are unfortunately cursed with and how their approach for gaining argumentative validity is basically attacking others with insults and accusations instead of providing thoughtful informative elements to back up the main thesis that they defend. Whenever this happens, it becomes quite clear that the real intention is not having the overall factual truthfulness prevail in the end but cause others to feel bad about themselves for owning distinct opinions or views which aren't allowed to be regarded in any positive way by the ones believing to know all the surface edges of right and wrong.

MaelstromEyre

Slippery When Wet

Facebook groups have become a lot more toxic, with mods/admins who will strongly favor some posters over others. Same goes in Discord chat.

A friend of mine got banned from a Discord for calling out a character thief, which was totally legitimate because that person was a known character thief and stalker. But, that person also was a Patreon supporter of the server owner so she kicked out the guy who OUTED the thief/creeper/stalker. The thief/creeper/stalker is still there because he basically bought his way in. It's stuff like that that makes the furry fandom toxic.

P

Purplefuzz

This commonly witnessed reality surrounding unreasonable internet hostility is perhaps the main reason why despite apparently having little to relate about as a furry within the fandom, I remain attached to it because honestly, the chances of being harassed here for owning a peculiar opinion on a specific subject are noticeably minor than in other mainstream niche communities, as long as we aren't referring to politics since that topic seems to unleash carnage pretty much everywhere but thankfully, I'm not into said matters.

The way you got shown hate over such a trivial discussion truly highlights the spiteful nature some people are unfortunately cursed with and how their approach for gaining argumentative validity is basically attacking others with insults and accusations instead of providing thoughtful informative elements to back up the main thesis that they defend. Whenever this happens, it becomes quite clear that the real intention is not having the overall factual truthfulness prevail in the end but cause others to feel bad about themselves for owning distinct opinions or views which aren't allowed to be regarded in any positive way by the ones believing to know all the surface edges of right and wrong.

Seems like ASR's toxic tone, Is from the insecure need to own the subjectivists of audiophile community. Look's like i learned the hard way its full of the type that can't even be civil with subjecvists who want a challenge their own views.

Since in other threads they can't even converse without being very on edge of having mild subjective views. Almost like as said before they come of as self unware parodies, Of a group who try way too hard to look like there smart.

Facebook groups have become a lot more toxic, with mods/admins who will strongly favor some posters over others. Same goes in Discord chat.

A friend of mine got banned from a Discord for calling out a character thief, which was totally legitimate because that person was a known character thief and stalker. But, that person also was a Patreon supporter of the server owner so she kicked out the guy who OUTED the thief/creeper/stalker. The thief/creeper/stalker is still there because he basically bought his way in. It's stuff like that that makes the furry fandom toxic.

This why i don't dive in big groups(most) because they have a history of being either shit or a drama magnet(or both). I've been banned from 2 subreddits because of the mods are immature enough to think its funny or got yelled by mom IRL need to lash out because of it.

S

SLB-Portu24

Indeed I have gotten the uncomfortable perception in some socialization focused spaces, mainly on Discord, that a serious bias prejudice was roaming around the minds of those with a greater influence there and reason held little power against such will when portrayed by the people outside this mystical protective aura. This was quite infuriating to see in all fairness but attempting to call out the wrongness behind these practices is hopeless since you'll just get kicked out for disrupting the harmony within chaos.

I got banned from the Football Manager steam forums due to mentioning how the company behind this franchise is blantantly exploiting its loyal fanbase by releasing yearly full retail priced new editions cluttered with massive bugs and displaying very minimal changes from the previous edition and several of these bugs aren't even properly addressed throughout each game's entire life cycle, something a considerable portion of the game's audience who isn't completely infected by a blinding addiction seem to agree with yet most of them will be quickly banned from official forums after expressing legitimate constructive criticism towards a game which considering the amount of revenue the franchise is making every year, it should be much more professionally taken care of. There is simply no excuse to releasing hugely faulty products under such circumstances time after time yet just like many other individuals out there who have commanding roles, the developers and mods lack basic transparency and only allow freedom of speech for the ones saying the things they want to see being told.

reddit is a cesspool anyway. irl here in australia nobody knows what a furry is. so its generally fine
Hadn’t had much experience with reddit, but I could already get this. Subreddits were really cliquey and if aren’t popular or disagree with the majority get ready to be downvoted to
oblivion.

S

SLB-Portu24

I created a reddit account for the first time yesterday and I think it might have been a mistake adding "lefty" as the first word of my username not because of any political orientations but due to the fact I'm predominantly left handed for pretty much everything involving hand work, yes that too, when accounting for how astonishingly easily people jump to certain assumptions and conclusions that lack any tangible factual evidence. Guess I'm still being inadvertently naive to some degree.

P

Purplefuzz

I created a reddit account for the first time yesterday and I think it might have been a mistake adding "lefty" as the first word of my username not because of any political orientations but due to the fact I'm predominantly left handed for pretty much everything involving hand work, yes that too, when accounting for how astonishingly easily people jump to certain assumptions and conclusions that lack any tangible factual evidence. Guess I'm still being inadvertently naive to some degree.

Reddit is infamous for people jumping to unfair conclusions & only there opinions to be right. I've had a earphone reviewer immature fanbase do that to me when i disagreed with his/there view on the Etymotic ER4S, As if throwing weak terms and baseless claims on its driver will make me take them seriously.

Like seriously his whole list can boiled to high gear good -> lower priced stuff meh. Not to mention there upsettingly poor grasp at how drivers work, Like making up almost stupid reasons why a BA driver or even a 7 mm dynamic can't be bassy. Then cue them hyping the ER2XR as being the best for bass which is ironic, The ER2 use 5 mm drivers same size as the ER3/ER4. Totally killing there point that a 8 - 16mm driver is needed for best bass performance?, few said on a there discord.

S

SLB-Portu24

Reddit is infamous for people jumping to unfair conclusions & only there opinions to be right. I've had a earphone reviewer immature fanbase do that to me when i disagreed with his/there view on the Etymotic ER4S, As if throwing weak terms and baseless claims on its driver will make me take them seriously.

Like seriously his whole list can boiled to high gear good -> lower priced stuff meh. Not to mention there upsettingly poor grasp at how drivers work, Like making up almost stupid reasons why a BA driver or even a 7 mm dynamic can't be bassy. Then cue them hyping the ER2XR as being the best for bass which is ironic, The ER2 use 5 mm drivers same size as the ER3/ER4. Totally killing there point that a 8 - 16mm driver is needed for best bass performance?, few said on a there discord.
This is the age of self proclaimed experts who have such an impressively linear way of processing and storing information that they won't even think twice before going against something widely regarded as genuine factual data by acclaimed highly competent and professional researching sources if it doesn't matches the points taken from their own singular and subjective assessment on the matter to which they very stubbornly attribute universal truthfulness onto in order to feed that gluttonous self esteem.

P

Purplefuzz

This is the age of self proclaimed experts who have such an impressively linear way of processing and storing information that they won't even think twice before going against something widely regarded as genuine factual data by acclaimed highly competent and professional researching sources if it doesn't matches the points taken from their own singular and subjective assessment on the matter to which they very stubbornly attribute universal truthfulness onto in order to feed that gluttonous self esteem.

Yup, It's cringy watching a group pretend they know more than a tech company. Who been around since the early 80's, While hyping headphones with issues and gimmicks that made Etymotic themselves go take a breather. Like multi driver earphones that never show any hard proof why more drivers are needed??. But live off a sizeable few who are deeply offended that balanced armtures are popular earphone drivers with a lot pros. It's gross that what passes of as good reviewing in few areas.

But then again i still remember when my Sona WIP reactions were it was too humanoid. By few with pretty genric sonas and this almost dumb idea that it reminds them too much of humans?, As if they forgot what furry fandom is about.

S

SLB-Portu24

Yup, It's cringy watching a group pretend they know more than a tech company. Who been around since the early 80's, While hyping headphones with issues and gimmicks that made Etymotic themselves go take a breather. Like multi driver earphones that never show any hard proof why more drivers are needed??. But live off a sizeable few who are deeply offended that balanced armtures are popular earphone drivers with a lot pros.

Because I've never seen a group so ignorant they can't even defend why a earphone with 2 to 12 drivers is needed without tripping over there points. Etymotic said why they picked the driver set up, your filling up a small chamber in your ear not a big room like speakers. But then again its funny watching them bash other places for snake oil with no irony.
And this whole drama filled episode involving you on that forum occurred without any of those people knowing you're a furry right? It was exclusively down to divergent opinions on the mere subject relating to audio leaking objects which either go into a person's ear canal or cover the entire exterior appendage wasn't it? Its just than I can hardly think of a more trivial disagreement situation to instigate a major personal confrontation from, why would someone possessing at least a pinch of sanity get so upset over something so simple and why is being an uncontested specialized audio equipment expert that much important for them? Who knows really yet we see this sort of behaviour all the time.

P

Purplefuzz

And this whole drama filled episode involving you on that forum occurred without any of those people knowing you're a furry right? It was exclusively down to divergent opinions on the mere subject relating to audio leaking objects which either go into a person's ear canal or cover the entire exterior appendage wasn't it? Its just than I can hardly think of a more trivial disagreement situation to instigate a major personal confrontation from, why would someone possessing at least a pinch of sanity get so upset over something so simple and why is being an uncontested specialized audio equipment expert that much important for them? Who knows really yet we see this sort of behaviour all the time.

Nah didn't want it to get messy since some weren't afrid to run to my PM's on Reddit. I was like cringing hard at the fact they were melting down at being disagreed by some disabled dude, Since i gave it away in some arguments. Even I'm still grasping at the uneeded hostility which is why i ditched that tech hobby.

That whole community is a toxic dumpter fire, 1 headphone reviewer was just outed as racist asshole by a asian headphone company because he never got a review pair.

The only time i was bashed for furry was when i was on askreddit getting told by a SA goon why furries are a joke. With no idea at how much of hostile creep he was being, Trying to say i deserved to be mocked. Like wow thanks for showing me your a unhinged joke about a fantasy hobby that older than dirt.

S

SLB-Portu24

Nah didn't want it to get messy since some weren't afrid to run to my PM's on Reddit. I was like cringing hard at the fact they were melting down at being disagreed by some disabled dude, Since i gave it away in some arguments. Even I'm still grasping at the uneeded hostility which is why i ditched that tech hobby.

That whole community is a toxic dumpter fire, 1 headphone reviewer was just outed as racist asshole by a asian headphone company because he never got a review pair.

The only time i was bashed for furry was when i was on askreddit getting told by a SA goon why furries are a joke. With no idea at how much of hostile creep he was being, Trying to say i deserved to be mocked. Like wow thanks for showing me your a unhinged joke about a fantasy hobby that older than dirt.
Judging by the way those clearly enlightened individuals were behaving there, I think it became quite obvious that they are the ones suffering from the most apparent and sizeable disability, typically witnessed on your average internet troll and unfortunately for them, there isn't much of a cure or effective treatment procedure for it other than eventually suffering the harsh consequences of consistently being a despicable person and most likely, they will materialize sooner or later.

Saying one deserves to be mocked for being a furry without any further contextual elements is on the same broken morality pedestal as stating they deserve to be mocked for liking the colour blue. These singular characteristics on their own tell absolutely nothing about a person's nature, for either good or bad.