• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Receiver (realistic gun mechanics in a game? UN-POSSIBLE)

Ames

it smells like dust and moon light
Are you tired of unrealistic gun mechanics in shooters nowadays? Depressed over how different it is from operating a firearm in real life?
Then Receiver just might be a fun little game for you.

For those who do not know, Receiver is an indie game set in a sorta Mirror's Edge-esque future which focuses chiefly on realistic gun mechanics.

Here's a quick overview vid from the initial release:

[yt]GCThInmzjXw[/yt]

As many of you who already own the game know, there's been a recent content update for Receiver:

[yt]M-XyvgqXwZs[/yt]

I brought this up in a thread a while back, but it's unfortunate how there's still so many who haven't tried this game out. It's unique and quite entertaining, totally worth the purchase.
Give it a shot. :V

Sarcastic Coffeecup

Hand. Cannot. Erase.
Old thread. Been made before but anyway, I have this game on my pc. I could fiddle that gun forever. It's so much fun. It's a fresh alternative to the modern games where it does everything to reload a mag with a single button.
If only Wolfire drpped their retarded Overgrowth and focused more on this.
Make this a full game with high graphics and a plot. I'd play that a lot

Ames

Old thread. Been made before but anyway, I have this game on my pc. I could fiddle that gun forever. It's so much fun. It's a fresh alternative to the modern games where it does everything to reload a mag with a single button.
If only Wolfire drpped their retarded Overgrowth and focused more on this.
Make this a full game with high graphics and a plot. I'd play that a lot

Actually I don't think a devoted thread has ever been made before. I brought this up in an Overgrowth thread a while back and it kinda took off from there, but I don't recall it ever having its own thread.

But yeah this game has so much potential. I'd really love to see them continue to develop this game as a whole, and not just content-wise.

Schwimmwagen

IIRC, Coffee made the old thread for this himself.

But yeah, the game looks interesting, I like what it has going for it.

But I'm not going to play this game.

On the other hand, I'd be very interested in seeing other devs, indie or no, taking a look at this game mechanic and expanding it to other games with other guns and goals and enemies, and whatever.

Judge Spear

Seeing the effort put into this is impressive. But, I seriously wouldn't play this for too long. I'd prefer quick simple gameplay over realism any day. It just doesn't matter to me in a game. :/

Ames

But, what about a fuckhuge laser gun that feels real?

Being a sort of laser nut who builds his own diode lasers, I can safely say that a "laser gun" would probably be the most impractical and boring weapon ever.

At the moment, the most powerful practical continuous wave visible spectrum handheld diode lasers are topping off at around 3 watts. That's enough to burn stuff from a fair distance, but not nearly enough to do any serious harm. It will burn flesh fairly quickly at close range, but only enough to give a rather nasty tattoo. There's no way it will do any damage beyond skin-deep.

Gas lasers are capable of significantly higher CW output, but they are also enormous and require ludicrous amounts of power, making a potential handheld application impossible.

A handheld pulsed infrared-wavelength laser would probably be slightly more practical.

[yt]RUXXGbNS8oY[/yt]

With a large enough bank of capacitors, you could get a pretty decent output. However, this is limited by the sort of pump mechanism you can fit into something handheld. The focusing mechanism would also be a pain in the ass to do right. You can probably get a powerful enough laser to punch holes through thin sheet metal at close-ish range, but again nothing nearly powerful enough to do any REAL damage to anything (human or otherwise).
Unless you aimed for the eyes, of course. Infrared-wavelength lasers are notorious for their ability to cause permanent blindness. One hit from a high-powered IR, even indirectly, can cause retinal hemorrhaging (AKA your eyeballs will fill with fucking blood).

Now speaking in a "future setting" in which super high-output lasers are potentially viable, lasers would still be far less than ideal as a handheld weapon. Even if a laser were powerful enough to punch through people, the wounds would be instantly cauterized and the affected area would be miniscule. You would just thread dainty little harmless holes through people which wouldn't even bleed. Also you would need some serious eye protection at all times, since at those power levels, the tiniest reflection off a grain of sand could cause some serious eye damage.

TLDR I decided to spew a bunch of bullshit about the infeasibility of handheld laser weaponry because I am bored.

Echo Wolf

Realistic gun mechanics in games? I can't to have my character shatter his wrists in the first firefight when I try to duel wield Desert Eagles.
I'm a bit torn on this; on one hand it's really neat to have this much attention to detail but on the other hand it's ridiculous to have it. Then again if I want to play a game with quasi realistic gun mechanics I can just go play airsoft; that's about as close to real combat as you can get without live rounds.

Ames

Then again if I want to play a game with quasi realistic gun mechanics I can just go play airsoft; that's about as close to real combat as you can get without live rounds.

Actually, there's simunition, which like a real reduced-load cartridge topped with a paintball. It's supposed to be as close to the real thing as you can get.

Echo Wolf

Actually, there's simunition, which like a real reduced-load cartridge topped with a paintball. It's supposed to be as close to the real thing as you can get.

I'm more speaking of the common mans ability to play but airsoft is also often also used as a training method for law enforcement and military as well due to its realism. I do know that there are some high end guns that you load with dummy bullets tipped with a bb. When you pull the trigger the round comes out the ejection port and the bb comes out the barrel.

Kesteh

Twenty
This is on steam Greenlight. It's only there for the purpose of much simpler distribution (if you didn't watch the patch video this is explained in it.)
I'd like to see this on steam very much. It won't hold my attention for long but it's well worth the fun that 5 dollars can get.

Harbinger

The Last of Us.
Meh, looks dull tbh, and the gun mechanics just seem to be complicated annoyance.

Fernin

6150 rpm and spinning.
While interesting from a conceptual standpoint, I believe it'd get old fast. Operating a fire arm in real life once you've learned the mechanics becomes pretty automatic. A game where you have to go out of your way for perform complicated actions to replicate what is in real life a simple and nearly thoughtless action would get tedious quickly.

But, what about a fuckhuge laser gun that feels real?

Saliva, this question is life...or DEATH. Your answer?

I couldn't give any less of a fuck, really. I play games like Quake because I like fast-paced, unrealistic games. Rockets fucking everywhere, the ability to jump like ten feet in the air, nonsense architecture.

I just... don't like games that focus on realism instead of fun. I never did. I want a video game, not a gun simulator.