• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Recent FA Outage Explanation?

uncia

yak said:
Status update will come later.
At this point, FA is stable, and is aimed to stay that way while the debates behind the scenes continue.
They shouldn't have impacted the community in the first place being a very blunt move, but all people make mistakes and personally, i'm more willing to let it slide provided we come to an acceptable consensus out of this.

Interruption of service is not planned for, and as for the future of FurAffinity, there are people here who no matter what will do their utmost to keep it alive. Be assured in that.
The situation is not as bad as it may seem.

*nods*

wolfe97

if you consider really BIG profit making doamin names then sure, his price is in the low spectrum. but FA is for all intents and purposes, non-profit. and as for if he owns the doamin name. he can only claim ownership of the domain if he can prove that he paid the initial fee for the name as well as the monthly and/or yearly fee to keep the domain name. if he cannot prove that he paid those then he does not LEGALLY have ownership of the domain name

Bokracroc

Bokra, come out to pla-ay
phoenixwrightobjectiontm1.jpg

Sorry, I've never actually played Phoenix Wright so I don't know what's meant to happen next.

and as for if he owns the doamin name. he can only claim ownership of the domain if he can prove that he paid the initial fee for the name as well as the monthly and/or yearly fee to keep the domain name. if he cannot prove that he paid those then he does not LEGALLY have ownership of the domain name
Thank you Captain Obvious.
But if he owns the Domain name, he can do whatever he pleases (with the name). It's esentually a doorway/neon arrow. While he owns the doorway/neon arrow, he doesn't totally own what's behind it (or have physical access to it).
He locked the maindoor, and instead we came in through the side-door (the IP they posted and such).

Janglur

Alkora owns the domain.

Period.
That one's that simple. He bought it, paid for it, and is still the owner. All legal documentation is there. View the WHOIS. Registered, in his name.
Nothing left to discuss. Property is property, and he can do whatever he likes with it.

As for code, as has been established MANY times in the dozens of recent lawsuits between large/small small/large small/small large/large companies, containing ANY code not your own is theft. So if there's even one line of Alkora's code remaining, Alkora is a partial owner and can ban anyone from using the code he wrote. Because he owns the copyright to said code.
The rest is there to do whatever you desire with. But his code, is his code. And he can do whatever he wants, with his code.

It's exactly the same reason Sony can haul your ass out if you use their BIOS in an emulator: Evne though it's less than 5% of the total code used there, it's still theirs, and they still have total domain.

Really guys, this isn't so hard to understand. Alkora, douche or not, is doing what he wants with his property.

Oni

Edit:

For those who financially support and maintain Furaffinity, all I suggest is, starting a list of acceptable new domain names until the terrorists(plural) have been dealt with. ;d

Janglur

I agree with Oni.

I mean shit, a domain's only $15/year tops.

yak

Site Developer
Administrator
Oni said:
Edit:

For those who financially support and maintain Furaffinity, all I suggest is, starting a list of acceptable new domain names until the terrorists(plural) have been dealt with. ;d

We have a backup plan now, so no worries about it.

Linoth

Janglur said:
Alkora owns the domain.

Period.
That one's that simple. He bought it, paid for it, and is still the owner. All legal documentation is there. View the WHOIS. Registered, in his name.
Nothing left to discuss. Property is property, and he can do whatever he likes with it.

As for code, as has been established MANY times in the dozens of recent lawsuits between large/small small/large small/small large/large companies, containing ANY code not your own is theft. So if there's even one line of Alkora's code remaining, Alkora is a partial owner and can ban anyone from using the code he wrote. Because he owns the copyright to said code.
The rest is there to do whatever you desire with. But his code, is his code. And he can do whatever he wants, with his code.

It's exactly the same reason Sony can haul your ass out if you use their BIOS in an emulator: Evne though it's less than 5% of the total code used there, it's still theirs, and they still have total domain.

Really guys, this isn't so hard to understand. Alkora, douche or not, is doing what he wants with his property.
Agree with you on the code, although a few have made it sound like it's all just GPL code copy-pasted around. Regardless, that does give him legal leverage, as he put it together.

And yes, the domain is currently registered in his name, but I'm guessing that a legal arguement could be made that the domain is now associated with the site, since we all think of "Furaffinity" whenever we view a page there. I'm not saying that it could be a sucessful arguement, though.

- Edit -
Thought of something. In many cases with larger businesses, when the programmer is hired, there's a legal clause stating that the company owns the code and not the programmer to avoid exactly this problem. If there was such a legal agreement between the parties and if it contained such a clause, then the code becomes entirely moot. From the sounds of things, though, I don't think anyone had the foresight to plan for such a contingency.

Acorndeer

No love for Alkora here ;_;

Arshes Nei

Masticates in Public
Linoth said:
Agree with you on the code, although a few have made it sound like it's all just GPL code copy-pasted around. Regardless, that does give him legal leverage, as he put it together.

http://www.vclcomponents.com/PHP/Bulletin_Board_Message_Systems/Devoy_Bulletin_Board-info.html

http://www.phpbuilder.com/board/showthread.php?t=10287210

http://secunia.com/advisories/12840/

http://www.securityspace.com/smysecure/catid.html?id=15556

Werewolfhero

Mageknight Werewolf
Even if he could prove that he owns the code, he might be able to demand the code erased from the server if it went to court but everyone's artwork should be ok, since he doesnt own those, (has those nifty (c) on my pics so mine are definitey unusable according to what i was told last time someone tried to steal one of my pics) He was probably hoping having his code on the server would allow him access to everyone's art when he was deciding his $8000+ demands. Not just his code (which most professional php scripts range from $10 (or more) per hour to put together or around $200 or more (knows cause i looked into having a php script written once) then whatever his domain registration is.

Although just to be sure probably consult a laywer on all this.

Arshes Nei

Masticates in Public
Well here's a sticky...if Dragoneer has receipts that he made out checks to help pay for the domain and keep it going, there could be a problem there. It would be notated that at the time there was something of a partnership, rather than trying to have someone cybersquat/snatch the domain.

However, saying that I DO remember when Jheryn forgot to re-register the domain, not too long ago, and the hilarity that ensued then. I believe that was around the 18/19/20th of January (I may have the month wrong, but I remember the dates pretty well I think).

Edit: Ahh, whois

Creation date: 15 Jan 2005 17:42:57
Expiration date: 15 Jan 2009 17:42:57

nobuyuki

Werewolfhero said:
Even if he could prove that he owns the code, he might be able to demand the code erased from the server if it went to court but everyone's artwork should be ok, since he doesnt own those, (has those nifty (c) on my pics so mine are definitey unusable according to what i was told last time someone tried to steal one of my pics) He was probably hoping having his code on the server would allow him access to everyone's art when he was deciding his $8000+ demands. Not just his code (which most professional php scripts range from $10 (or more) per hour to put together or around $200 or more (knows cause i looked into having a php script written once) then whatever his domain registration is.

Although just to be sure probably consult a laywer on all this.

Disclaimer: I am not a Lawyer

that being said, it doesn't matter if Jheryn revoked GPL or not, because at any point it's GPL, someone can make a fork off that version and continue to publish it under the terms of its license. Furthermore, once other people contribute to a GPL project, the only part of the project that belongs to you is your own code, and therefore if major parts were written under GPL by other people, the only way you can revoke GPL from the project is by RIPPING ALL THAT CODE OUT and starting over again.

I'm thinking Jheryn isn't stupid -- he probably knows about all this, which is why he's been trying to spread the lie that Furaffinity "was never GPL" in order to try and get out from the legal shit he's in now should anyone decide to fork his (leaked) source code, or in the case of Arcturus/ArtPlz, when we were making our own clone based on it. Having seen an early version of the FA code myself I can tell you that it still had parts of DevoyBB in it, and most importantly, it still had the GPL license included in the code's comments. I wish I could say Case Closed, but obviously this is devastating enough to erupt a conspiracy to erase any credibility towards this (completely true) fact.