• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Recommendations for video games for older people?

cowboi

DM me your favorite dinosaur
My senior citizen aged mom and I have been extremely bored with quarantine and just for fun, we played Contradiction- Spot the Liar!, a FMV murder mystery video game. And mom, who hates video games, had the time of her life. This led me to the idea that we could try playing other games. Found some other FMVs and waiting for them to go on steam sale but I was thinking of expanding to some arcade games too. The only thing is it can’t have too complex controls (no double joysticks or using to many buttons/keys) or be too hard since I’ve tried with controller games before and they’re just a little too much for her. Anyone know of any casual, fun multiplayer games a senior citizen could play?

Last edited:
Hmm, I'd recommend a game called "Gone Home", it's like a small adventure type of game taking place inside of a house with small puzzles to solve and a slow paced story almost like a novel. Played it many years ago not sure what to expect and I honestly loved it and is one of those games I'd recommend to anyone who doesn't like games but still wants to try, or just older people who might not have the fastest reaction times. Over all a very cozy and warm game.

If you'd by any chance be out for something similar but a bit more dark and some "scary" sections with a similar but a bit more open layout, there's this game called "The vanishing of Ethan Carter". Even though there's some sections that are a bit more intense so to speak it's still a very slow paced game and more visual novel kind of thing. Both of these games is perfect to sit and experience together and just explore, even though it's single player, it's just to take turns or give one another directions or help one another figure out puzzles. I could see myself play this stuff with my mother if she asked or wanted to know.

PC games both of them and on steam, at least "Gone Home" should be able to run on most laptops from the last 5 years. Check both out though!

Raever

Chaotic Neutral Wreckage
I'm thinking any point and click adventure games, namely a classic being The Secret of Monkey Island. Those games usually only have one control (the mouse) and often have a lot of humor within them. Grim Fandango is a film noir style point n click adventure/mystery game she might enjoy as well. Both have amusing stories but are different genre's.

Kinare

RAWR
I can think of a few options that might be easy enough:
Tabletop Simulator - board games of all sorts, ez. Setup is sometimes a pain depending on what you play, but you can set it up and them gameplay would just be like a real life board game.
Armello - is basically board game. :v I found it easy to learn, controls are also super easy.
Battleblock Theatre - platformer. Been a while since I played it, so I don't remember exactly how difficult it is, but it is co-op.
Stardew Valley - Very chill and easy to learn farm builder game, controls are also pretty basic. Can play at your own pace too, no rush needed. There's even plenty of mods for customizing the game.

She may enjoy something like Hidden Folks, though it's single player. It's like Where's Waldo, but with more objectives and it's kyoot. Starts out super easy, gets more difficult. Very easy controls, ya just gotta point and click on stuff. You could even try to find the objectives together in the harder areas.

cowboi

I'm thinking any point and click adventure games, namely a classic being The Secret of Monkey Island. Those games usually only have one control (the mouse) and often have a lot of humor within them. Grim Fandango is a film noir style point n click adventure/mystery game she might enjoy as well. Both have amusing stories but are different genre's.
“How appropriate, you duel like a cow!”
I’ve never actually played it but I know the game :) thanks for the recommendations!

Last edited:

cowboi

Toby_Morpheus

Hello, Proto
Minor issue with juxtaposing senior citizen with inability for complex controls.
It really depends on the person, wouldn't you say?

Other than that, there's the Myst series, a sort of point and click fantasy puzzle adventure where the difficulty comes from figuring out abstract puzzles.
The same people recently made another game as a spiritual successor but I forget the name.

cowboi

Minor issue with juxtaposing senior citizen with inability for complex controls.
It really depends on the person, wouldn't you say?

Other than that, there's the Myst series, a sort of point and click fantasy puzzle adventure where the difficulty comes from figuring out abstract puzzles.
The same people recently made another game as a spiritual successor but I forget the name.
Hi Toby!
I tried to play Halo with her once a while ago and two joysticks broke her brain, so at least for her, it’s a little too much, sorry, probably could have clarified :/
I’ll def look into it, thanks!

D

Deleted member 134556

Tetris is a classic that has been around for a long time. It is a good game because it exercises your brain’s problem solving skills while also being easy to learn for anyone.

Toby_Morpheus

Hello, Proto
Hi Toby!
I tried to play Halo with her once a while ago and two joysticks broke her brain, so at least for her, it’s a little too much, sorry, probably could have clarified :/
I’ll def look into it, thanks!
The original is pretty old. I believe there is a remake that modernizes the engine.
It should still be completely mouse controlled.

Judge Spear

Maybe look for some exciting mystery games? Try something like BlackSad, the Ace Attorney games, Professor Layton, or look into Tangle Tower. These are generally easy to play, but engage the player without feeling like "press A to advance the game".
I don't know any arcade games that I think older folks looking for something simple would enjoy. All the arcade games I have are hellishly difficult and complex. Infinos Gaiden is the only relatively simple one I can think of.

Overcooked might be something to look into as well. That game is funny as shit.

EDIT: Rikki and Vikki might be worth a look see as well. It's challenging, but the co op is excellent and very simple. The level design is just a bit...advanced.

cowboi

Maybe look for some exciting mystery games? Try something like BlackSad, the Ace Attorney games, Professor Layton, or look into Tangle Tower. These are generally easy to play, but engage the player without feeling like "press A to advance the game".
I don't know any arcade games that I think older folks looking for something simple would enjoy. All the arcade games I have are hellishly difficult and complex. Infinos Gaiden is the only relatively simple one I can think of.

Overcooked might be something to look into as well. That game is funny as shit.
I actually have overcooked but was informed it was quite intense and might be a little too much, but we can try it :) Thanks for the reccomendations!

Arishipshape

TFed Ex-Knight
I agree with XoPachi about Ace Attorney. It's more of a visual novel than a game, which is probably really good for those that can't handle double joystick 30 inputs per second super ultra turbo fast games.

cowboi

She actually plays Tetris (or some knock off) on her phone!

Ringo the Wolf

A lone wolf.
I want to say War Thunder but I think nah.

cowboi

I agree with XoPachi about Ace Attorney. It's more of a visual novel than a game, which is probably really good for those that can't handle double joystick 30 inputs per second super ultra turbo fast games.
*tries to get mom started on an MMORPG*

Judge Spear

She actually plays Tetris (or some knock off) on her phone!
Puyo Puyo Tetris on Steam/Switch is perfect for her then. Colorful, cheap, all kinds of modes using two different legendary puzzle game bases, and loads of head to head variants both local and online. Excellent purchase for the casual and hardcore alike.

Judge Spear

I just remembered Raiden 4.
The Raiden series is as classic as Space Invaders and is crème de la crème arcade shooting. 4 looks very difficult when you look up videos because it *is* monstrously hard...on it's base and higher difficulties. But it has a great deal of settings for beginners and casual play with a more approachable playstyle than most other modern, similarly hardcore games in the genre. You move with a stick. Press A to shoot. Press B to drop bombs in a pinch. All there is to it (not really, but all your mother would ever have to worry about).
Great music, fun levels, cooperative play, and cool boss fights. Goes for cheap on Steam (also available for 360 if you can find a copy, but Steam has additional content).

cowboi

I just remembered Raiden 4.
The Raiden series is as classic as Space Invaders and is crème de la crème arcade shooting. 4 looks very difficult when you look up videos because it *is* monstrously hard...on it's base and higher difficulties. But it has a great deal of settings for beginners and casual play with a more approachable playstyle than most other modern, similarly hardcore games in the genre. You move with a stick. Press A to shoot. Press B to drop bombs in a pinch. All there is to it (not really, but all your mother would ever have to worry about).
Great music, fun levels, cooperative play, and cool boss fights. Goes for cheap on Steam (also available for 360 if you can find a copy, but Steam has additional content).
Now I’m getting flashes of Ikaruga haha
I don’t know if she’s into shooters (space invaders not COD), but I’ll look into at least for me :)

Judge Spear

He speaks the holy word of GOD!
man-in-prayer.jpg

cowboi

He speaks the holy word of GOD!
man-in-prayer.jpg
When you’re playing with a friend and you’re a jerk middle schooler and don’t tell them you can switch

Kinare

RAWR
If she likes Tetris, she may like other puzzle games too. I already suggested Hidden Folks and board games, but two others I enjoyed a lot were Osmos and Spirits. All are simple as far as controls go. Osmos is pretty easy, Spirits can get difficult.

I may also suggest Dungeon of the Endless. Controls are simple and it has co-op, but there is a bit of a learning curve (you need to learn what the different defenses do and what heroes are good, plus unlocking heroes). The harder areas are chaotic so I would recommend sticking to the easier ones with her.