• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Recommended Fabric Type For Bird Suits?

smolmuffin

A teeny muffin
I apologize if this sounds like a silly question. Did check the rules and this seems fine so I figured that I ask.

What type of fabric would you recommend for a bird suit? Specifically head, arm wings and the tail feathers? (Already planning on using leggings and a different shorter fabric for feet) I wanted to make one in the future but wasn't sure what would be the best looking option. I thought that I would be able to take a shortcut of sorts and use something other than fur. After all birds aren't furry creatures and I would be saving a bit by picking up a short pile fabric that was decent quality compared to the longer fur commonly used. It seemed easier too, no worries about shaving.

Now I'm having doubts since it seems a lot of makers use regular fur for their bird suits. Just wanted to get a general opinion. If colors and species matters I was thinking of developing a half phoenix au design for a character into a full phoenix design,(so yellow, orange and red) but I wouldn't mind doing a owl or dove in the future as well.

Ashwolves5

Miss Fluffy Bottom
I see a lot doing fur and then they will cut it too look like feathers and it’s really neat. Painted fleece also works well with making bird legs.

Kit H. Ruppell

Exterminieren! Exterminieren!
I'm using different lengths of faux fur for the feathers and crocodile-textured boat upholstery for the feet.

Paulosaurus

Lord of Rawr
I do a mix of shaved fur with overlapping bands craft feathers, and spandex with upholstery vinyl for the scaly bits.