• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Regarding "Normal" Furries

shapeless0ne

it's a moth! it a dragon! no, it's a avali boi!
normal furry???????
well, my best guess that's someone with a canine fursona as it is after all the norm here.

Arcturus Maple

Enigmatic Anomaly
To be fair, there are loads of scalies and felines, too.

x_eleven

I want to get more involved in the fandom and go to cons and the such, but keep getting turned off by the weird, "stereotypical furry."

Unforch, this misconception is the residue of old furbashing, and the origin of furdom as a West Coast phenomenon. Out West -- especially the "San-San Megopolis" -- they have a rather... ummmm... unusual sense of normality. Some misbehaving that occurred during a couple of the Confurances during the mid-1990s got blown way out of proportion.

Don't worry about it: pick a con near you, go, and enjoy.

I understand that the fandom attracts lots of different people since it is so accepting to everyone. I'm trying to find out if there really are any "normal" guys out there in the fandom.
~TheComposingWolf

So does every other fandom. If it exists out there among the public at large, it will find its way into our particular microcosm. "Normal (our outside the mainstream interests excepted) guys" are the majority of Furs. Don't worry: we won't bite.

shapeless0ne

it's a moth! it a dragon! no, it's a avali boi!
To be fair, there are loads of scalies and felines, too.
I really really hope so, because what I'm seeing it a crap ton of wolfs with wings and dragon eyes calling themselves scalies. but I hope that's just me.

Maximor_Bloodpanda

The True Anti-Conformist
Hey everyone,

First of all, let me start of saying that I've considered myself a furry for the last 6 years. I want to get more involved in the fandom and go to cons and the such, but keep getting turned off by the weird, "stereotypical furry."

I understand that the fandom attracts lots of different people since it is so accepting to everyone. I'm trying to find out if there really are any "normal" guys out there in the fandom. I don't need any SJW bs about my thinking process or whatever, I just need a straight up answer. I'm looking around, a lot. I'm meeting up with furries, messaging around, and just trying to get a feel for what is out there. I'm an athletic, fit, chill guy, and I'm just trying to find similar people in the fandom, if there are any. Please share your experiences, as I really want to get more involved in the fandom. I don't judge anyone, but I see nothing wrong in that I want to hang out with people that aren't embarrassing to hang out with.

I hope I do not offend anyone. This is just a tipping point in which I decide if I want to continue getting more involved in the fandom or not.

Thanks so much,
~TheComposingWolf
I'm somewhat happy to see that someone else has noticed the stereotypical furry. I see where you are going with this. I had my own experience.

I used to be a part of a furry group. It was fun at first, but I slowly felt out of place since if I wanted to talk to someone then I always had to be the one who started the conversation. I got pissed about being left out of things, so I left. Now I wonder what the hell I was doing there, there were a few people who were cool and nice, but most of them were just weird. It was one or more of the stereotypes for them as follows: being twice my age, way out of shape, too lazy to stand up and have fun (I do appreciate the few who did), being total fetish weirdos and uncomfortably open about it, or being total art snobs.

It was a regrettable experience, but at least I tried. Don't think I will try again though. Hope you find someone to hang out with that isn't awkward.

Ricky

isn't "normal furry" kind of an oxymoron? :V

Absolutely, even more than Military Intelligence. By definition, adults dressing up as animals is just fucking weird. That's probably why I love it. Why does everyone want to push normal so much? We aren't the fucking Borg, I mean shit ... :|

It works for consumerism but it doesn't work for many other things like INDIVIDUALITY.

There's a lot more neuroscience involved here, but basically social reciprocity is like an innate "lie detection" mechanism.

Some people respond critically to another and they are sometimes right and sometimes wrong, which is why groups tend to cut off the two extremes. This cancels out complete and utterly fucking dimwitted bullshit, but I often have radical things to say and people in a group will all try and drown me out since their group brain can't handle it (and this is inversely related to the size where an even bigger brain makes it even harder to handle). Things like this that are "weird" aren't exactly "wrong" if they even are at all. In other words, an eccentric view <> a wrong one. A good example is rBST which I *still* see everywhere in marketing claiming it isn't used (and then usually a disclaimer pushing the onus closer toward the cow's titty. It's a protein homone and you digest it. You aren't going to end up with the fully-functional quaternized version of it, that is just silly. It'll get broken down in the stomach and the liver and the amino acids will be incorporated into the cells.

Furries are largely ASD which is associated, especially in the "lower" presentations, with higher intelligence. Social learning is in a much different area, though I doubt it has to do with memory itself (i.e. basal ganglia) but the type of memory used (long term fibers usually take repetition over a long period of time) which will differ for someone shut in a box. Even so, they are using a greater portion of other parts of the brain, so if it's something useful like information or the processing of, that could be why. I doubt playing Angry Birds all day and forsaking Broca and Wernicke would get you very far ... >.>

Zipline

Noodle Fish
I think i am normal.. Most of the furries I have found are normal and most of the time it would be difficult to tell they were furries. I met one in the Air force and one at the grocery store, we are all over, just well hidden.

homie

the homiest of the homies
I consider myself fairly normal in the furry community, though I'm probably not.

But what exactly is a "normal" furry? How would you describe one?

Wither

Is honestly confused by life.
But what exactly is a "normal" furry? How would you describe one?
Something entirely subjective that OP has failed to properly describe.

From what I can gather, however, I believe normal is those who don't act like furries. People who act just like anyone else and just like furries on the side.

Sergei Nóhomo

Spicey Memes
Banned
Hey everyone,

First of all, let me start of saying that I've considered myself a furry for the last 6 years. I want to get more involved in the fandom and go to cons and the such, but keep getting turned off by the weird, "stereotypical furry."

I understand that the fandom attracts lots of different people since it is so accepting to everyone. I'm trying to find out if there really are any "normal" guys out there in the fandom. I don't need any SJW bs about my thinking process or whatever, I just need a straight up answer. I'm looking around, a lot. I'm meeting up with furries, messaging around, and just trying to get a feel for what is out there. I'm an athletic, fit, chill guy, and I'm just trying to find similar people in the fandom, if there are any. Please share your experiences, as I really want to get more involved in the fandom. I don't judge anyone, but I see nothing wrong in that I want to hang out with people that aren't embarrassing to hang out with.

I hope I do not offend anyone. This is just a tipping point in which I decide if I want to continue getting more involved in the fandom or not.

Thanks so much,
~TheComposingWolf

Mate as much as I'm disgusted and appalled by a large majority of furries I have to say that yes, there are the odd couple of decent ones. I'm talking ones that look like a normal fucking person, work and are all around decent people that actually know hygiene and know when the timing is bad to talk about something or bring something up.

From personal experience they're far and few in between but they do exist. Majority of the guys you will find are lanky or fat, unwashed and generally either a complete nuisance to be around or are the kind of people you would never want to associate with.

Being " normal" is super subjective in life and this fandom. If you get along with people and you feel comfortable then you have found your normal.

Also I'm really tickled by the fact that your intro sounds like a online dating pitch. " athletic chill guy looking for normal furry friends.."

That right there itself turns heads.

Ehhh that's debatable honestly. A general sense of "normal" considered by many people for an adult would be:

Works and supports theirself or family; living with parents is okay if you help with bills, rent, etc.
Has an education
Knows basic hygiene
Average body at the minimum
Can socialize just fine, rather than be a sperg
Knows about personal space/boundaries
Has some interests outside of games

Last edited:

Spatel

Take it from someone who's been in the fandom for a long time...

You won't like most people at furry conventions, no matter who you are. Just because we're all furries doesn't mean we all have the same interests or temperaments. Better to figure out who you could be friends with at those things, and then form a smaller group and hang out with those people, and just use the meets to go fishing for new people for your little group every now and then. Now granted if you live in a major city, you might have a better local group and it might be easier.

It could actually take a few visits to the local meets before you find people. I'd recommend getting to know a few that you'd be willing to go to a convention with. Definitely more fun doing that than going to a convention alone.

Rhee

If you are talking about the furs that don't groom and have no concept of social norms, I feel you on that they tend to stick and don't release you from the hug I wasn't terrible keen to do when they accost you as you try to get to the headless room, then follow you around the entire con making it awkward and miserable. ruining the sanctity of the headless room by entering it and taking pictures, attempting to flee to find solace in a bathroom. The hug was a mistake, the after scent of gym socks and onions haunt you as you attempt to escape and end up entering a panel you have no intrest in to purposely sit between strangers in hopes of escaping this terribly sad oniony blight. Fear that removing the head after so many hours of wearing it will give your new found 'fur friend' a better way of stalking you.

Yes I understand that completely. there are a lot of socially defunct people in the fandom, but they also seem to be in the anime fandom as well. I can only assume their mothers have torn out their own hair and relegated them to live in the basement like a troll. coming up occasionally for food.

It may have to do with maturity; keep trying eventually you'll find some furs that land within your standard deviation of normal.

RocketExecutiveCypress

Lord of All Plants(In training)
Eh, I've been around for a few years. Normal furries are few and far between. To me ''normal'' means they'll actually talk, aren't uncomfortably sexual, and aren't socially inept. Which is super rare. Out of the many I have met, few actually talked and didn't have some awful problem or were sexual. I can't say I'm normal because I'm extremely grumpy and socially stunted though.

Holtzmann

Juular.
I'm think I'm on the more "normal" side of the fandom. Somewhat out of shape but not obese, married (to a veterinarian, funnily enough), Good personal hygiene (I have a bit of a skin problem, but it's both autoimmune and manageable, so it's unrelated to personal hygiene), interested in a broad variety of subjects outside of furry stuff, very keen on the concept of "personal space" (seriously, don't invade mine), outgoing and able to hold a conversation with a stranger without sperging out. Sure, I like sexual jokes but there's a time, place and crowd for that kind of humor.

Of course, I'm also as boring as watching paint dry. So I might be a bit too far towards the other end.

Harbinger

The Last of Us.
Everyone getting all philosophical n shit, a normal furry would be one that behaves like a socially acceptable human being, doesn't shit itself in public whilst wearing diapers, makes animal noises or RPs in public, and finally doesn't wearing fucking bdsm gear over their fursuit at a con or inn public.

If you stay away from that shit you're golden.

Barka

~Barka~
I understand what you mean.
As you said, those who are excepting tend to attract all sorts of people. Most are nit picking your use of "normal" but I'm assuming you mean it as a functioning member of society who happens to enjoy anthro stuff. I'd consider myself "normal" as I have a full time job, car, house, hobbies outside of the fandom, and yada yada. I love my wonky stereotypical fur friends, but it's also nice to enjoy a normal trip to the river and not be so outlandish. I'm new to this site, so I'm unsure if commenting on an old thread is appropriate. I apologize if it is not~

Spatel

Everyone getting all philosophical n shit, a normal furry would be one that behaves like a socially acceptable human being, doesn't shit itself in public whilst wearing diapers, makes animal noises or RPs in public, and finally doesn't wearing fucking bdsm gear over their fursuit at a con or inn public.

If you stay away from that shit you're golden.

Pretty much this. I'd add showers, haircuts, and at least a marginal awareness of appearance are nice things many furries struggle with.

I'd award bonus points for having basic social skills and being able to have conversations WITH people, as opposed to talking AT people about arcane knowledge of nintendo games or the fine details of your magic the gathering deck... bad habits a lot of furries struggle to shake. Nothing wrong with being interested in those things but talking about your narrow nerdy interest with people who aren't interested is just as boring as talking to someone about a sport they don't like.