• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Regarding Recent Changes to the Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willow

FAF's #1 Terrorist
The problem with this though is that some of it isn't the fault of said hostile members. It's people who come in expecting to get something out of this forum, not getting it, and then throwing a fit calling everyone mean. Blunt and mean aren't the same things.

Edit: Not to say it doesn't get out of hand but there tends to be two sides to the story.

This needed to come beforehand too because it seems really unethical and kind of underhanded to just ban a handful of people out of nowhere and then take several days to explain why.

Ozriel

Inglorious Bastard

Kalmor

Banned
Banned
About fucking time. Some of the users here, including mods, can be total fucking dicks for little to no reason. I wish I could name them but I cant, and I wont.

There were quite a few new members that had great potential that were chased away like they were harmful pests and treated with utter disrespect and chastised because they made one tiny mistake regarding the rules/AUP.
You can always report staff to neer or chase if you feel that they have acted inappropriately, just fyi.

Mentova

I live, I die, I live again
In the Neer future, we will have nothing but fetish discussion on GD because that's what most of the new members come to talk about anyway.

Or face rig.
God no. I'll never let FAF become fetish fun land! D:
The problem with this though is that some of it isn't the fault of said hostile members. It's people who come in expecting to get something out of this forum, not getting it, and then throwing a fit calling everyone mean. Blunt and mean aren't the same things.

Edit: Not to say it doesn't get out of hand but there tends to be two sides to the story.

This needed to come beforehand too because it seems really unethical and kind of underhanded to just ban a handful of people out of nowhere and then take several days to explain why.
Sometimes it us the newbie's fault for acting like an ass with an attitude, but I've seen just as many newbies make a harmless mistake and get dog piled for it. :c

About the bans, I can't, and won't, talk about those because its between them and the staff.
I thought that was the Den?
They are two sides of the same coin. :V

Trpdwarf

Lurking in Castle Moats

We understand that time to time people come onto the forums acting in ways that are not consistent with the usual atmosphere, and often completely disregard the established culture or rules. That doesn't justify crucifying a member in a nasty and/or rule breaking manner. If civilly confronting a user in an honest but tactful manner does not lead anywhere, and the person's behavior becomes problematic you can always report the member.

That said we were all new once and we ought to give people a chance.

Zeitzbach

Taste purple
God no. I'll never let FAF become fetish fun land! D:

But then the amount of new threads and posts created per day will be in the single-digit!

also

we're not going to stop the fantastic discussion on the forums.

fantastic

Just keep in mind though that there is NO (I repeat, NO) such thing as a perfectly peaceful forum. What keeps people together is that they have a shared objective. When they don't, they will slowly drift apart.

The objective can be a topic of discussion, a mod, or even a certain duty. What you did, was taking your chance at a gamble and hope that a new group will be created that will hopefully, be better than the old one. The old one actually has plenty of fun discussion. They all shared the same objective, to make sure that those fetish monglers don't ruin the forum.

With them gone, we will either

1) Get a new clean group (lolIdoubtit)
2) Get a fetish group (RIP Pg-13) which will leave and bam, FurAffinity is now a desert.
or
3) A group that will probably jump on one of the mods/staffs and get banned.

It's always either one of them after 3 months maximum. ALWAYS.

We understand that time to time people come onto the forums acting in ways that are not consistent with the usual atmosphere, and often completely disregard the established culture or rules. That doesn't justify crucifying a member in a nasty and/or rule breaking manner. If civilly confronting a user in an honest but tactful manner does not lead anywhere, and the person's behavior becomes problematic you can always report the member.

When I was new, I acted like an idiot. Got myself the much needed scolding for making that Carrot Thread just for the sake of making one. If I could come back after a scold fest and a thread lock, then other should be able to. We should look for decent members, not spoiled kids that can't even take a single round of scolding.

Last edited:

thoron

But if they don't take tactful advise on how to behave on the forums its so boring to just report them. Don't you go to a bar to watch the idiots get thrown out too?

Last edited:

Ozriel

Inglorious Bastard
Since when did FAF ever have an established culture? Aside from the whole lingering forum narcissism the neglect has lead to.

FAF had a separate culture that developed when people began coming here and talking about the fandom in a critical manner, which places back in the mid-late 200X wouldn't allow because of "trolling". When that happened, the users began to become outspoken against many thing within the fandom that would have a bunch of angry white knights come at you with rope and pitchforks.

2010-2011 was the worse bit, I can recall, which led to many users being overtly aggressive against some of the new members. Now, it has gotten better.

Mentova

But then the amount of new threads and posts created per day will be in the single-digit!

also

Just keep in mind though that there is NO (I repeat, NO) such thing as a perfectly peaceful forum. What keeps people together is that they have a shared objective. When they don't, they will slowly drift apart.

The objective can be a topic of discussion, a mod, or even a certain duty. What you did, was taking your chance at a gamble and hope that a new group will be created that will hopefully, be better than the old one. The old one actually has plenty of fun discussion. They all shared the same objective, to make sure that those fetish monglers don't ruin the forum.

With them gone, we will either

1) Get a new clean group (lolIdoubtit)
2) Get a fetish group (RIP Pg-13) which will leave and bam, FurAffinity is now a desert.
or
3) A group that will probably jump on one of the mods/staffs and get banned.

It's always either one of them after 3 months maximum. ALWAYS.

I was new. Acted like an idiot. Got myself the much needed scolding for making that Carrot Thread just for the sake of making one. If I could come back after a scold fest and a thread lock, then other should be able to. We should look for a decent member, not spoiled kids that can't even take a single round of scolding.

We're not trying to make a new community, or a perfect one. We're just trying to fix some of the common problems here, mainly the hostility. We're not trying to censor discussion, or drive people away, or anything of that sort.

Aleu

Deuces
FAF had a separate culture that developed when people began coming here and talking about the fandom in a critical manner, which places back in the mid-late 200X wouldn't allow because of "trolling". When that happened, the users began to become outspoken against many thing within the fandom that would have a bunch of angry white knights come at you with rope and pitchforks.

2010-2011 was the worse bit, I can recall, which led to many users being overtly aggressive against some of the new members. Now, it has gotten better.
Maybe I should pun at the users who are misbehaving.

Can I at least do that? Please? Please? PLEEEEAAAASSE?

Ozriel

Inglorious Bastard

Trpdwarf

Lurking in Castle Moats
But if they don't take tactful aadvise on how to behave on the forums its so boring to just report them. Don't you go to a bar to watch the idiots get thrown out too?

It doesn't matter if it isn't as "Fun" to you to report them. It's the appropriate way to handle things. If you want fun go find something...fun to do? We don't need people picking on others like some kid trying to antagonize an animal.

A

Ansitru

While it is nice that we finally got an official statement, I am kind of disappointed that it is mentioned on the first page that we are only getting this communication because the users did not calm down and take the change as you hoped they would.

I am also (to put it politely) more than a bit irritated at the fact that anything even so much as mentioning the change before was harddeleted, with users getting warnings, infractions and bans for asking or for becoming irritated or downright angry at the lack of communication.

If you guys take anything from this, I hope it is that you will communicate when big changes are made, even if it is just a two-sentence update to be elaborated on later.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zeitzbach

Taste purple
We're not trying to make a new community, or a perfect one. We're just trying to fix some of the common problems here, mainly the hostility. We're not trying to censor discussion, or drive people away, or anything of that sort.

That's the risk you're taking. Hostility will always be present. The one we had, I have to say, when compared to my experience is actually the one that can actually grows. We're lucky we have a group of people that only direct their hostile toward fetish fest people. If they come and act nice or even make one comic, bam, insta-welcome as long as they don't Latex all over the place.

So we got rid of the hostility but now, we have a forum that produce 10 posts and 1 thread daily. Even if the old group was hostile, it was at least active, and that's what lure people in. Activities. By getting rid of the activities to get rid of the hostility, all we have left, is an almost empty class room that people are free to come and go as they please.

If I walk into a room and see it almost empty, I'm going to leave after 5 minutes if no one approaches me. This is the mindset most people will have. No discussion will be censored because it'll be too difficult to make one.

"No one talks to me? Bye"
"My first thread is actually out-of-place and against the rule? Too strict. Bye"
"My first thread is not allowed? Bye"

These are the 3 cases you're going to have to deal with, and number 2 and 3 are going to appear quite often. The old group didn't even have to attack those Steam seller or "Hi, I'm new. Let's talk about what kind of character you want to have sex with. OH crap, locked" to get them to leave.

Last edited:

Willow

FAF's #1 Terrorist
Sometimes it us the newbie's fault for acting like an ass with an attitude, but I've seen just as many newbies make a harmless mistake and get dog piled for it. :c
Well lynch mob activity is against the rules and that should be reprimanded because it does get out of hand or goes too far. I guess what I'm referring to is the apparent hostile atmosphere or however it was worded in the OP. Which..forums just sometimes attract assholes but I wouldn't say even the majority of regulars here are really mean. :/

I dunno how else to explain it though.

About the bans, I can't, and won't, talk about those because its between them and the staff.
I figured. My problem was with the general disconnect between relaying this message and actually putting it into action.

I didn't say it did.

Okay.

Mentova

While it is nice that we finally got an official statement, I am kind of disappointed that it is mentioned on the first page that we are only getting this communication because the users did not calm down and take the change as you hoped they would.

I am also (to put it politely) more than a bit irritated at the fact that anything even so much as mentioning the change before was harddeleted, with users getting warnings, infractions and bans for asking or for becoming irritated or downright angry at the lack of communication.

If you guys take anything from this, I hope it is that you will communicate when big changes are made, even if it is just a two-sentence update to be elaborated on later.

As far as I know the announcement was going to be posted even if things calmed down.

And while things were a bit heavy handed at first, a lot of the posts that were deleted were rather inflammatory and offensive, which we've never tolerated.

Littlerock

numb with cold
Because stirring up a ruckus within the staff hierarchy with no warning, making questionable choices regarding introducing new staff, banning regular users and passing out infractions for petty reasons, and then waiting several days to leak out a feeble explanation that barely serves to genuinely cover any of the current issue is supposed to reassure the remaining few regulars here that we're not being driven away? Really?

I can't honestly believe any of that, and it bothers me that key opinions here have been conveniently preemptively silenced. Under current rule, is't a damn miracle I haven't been banned yet as it is. No loss if I am, if this is the way things are to stay.

A

Ansitru

As far as I know the announcement was going to be posted even if things calmed down.

And while things were a bit heavy handed at first, a lot of the posts that were deleted were rather inflammatory and offensive, which we've never tolerated.

Now I wish I could link to the first thread an comments I made which were polite, even if they had an undertone of slight irritation. Of course, I can not as they were harddeleted.

It is kind of easy to say that all action taken was necessary when everything pertaining to it has been conveniently harddeleted. Just saying. Yes some comments may have been inflammatory, but not *all*.

Mentova

That's the risk you're taking. Hostility will always be present. The one we had, I have to say, when compared to my experience is actually the one that can actually grows. We're lucky we have a group of people that only direct their hostile toward fetish fest people. If they come and act nice or even make one comic, bam, insta-welcome as long as they don't Latex all over the place.

So we got rid of the hostility but now, we have a forum that produce 10 posts and 1 thread daily. Even if the old group was hostile, it was at least active, and that's what lure people in. Activities. By getting rid of the activities to get rid of the hostility, all we have left, is an almost empty class room that people are free to come and go as they please.

If I walk into a room and see it almost empty, I'm going to leave after 5 minutes if no one approaches me. This is the mindset most people will have. No discussion will be censored because it'll be too difficult to make one.

"No one talks to me? Bye"
"My first thread is actually out-of-place and against the rule? Too strict. Bye"
"My first thread is not allowed? Bye"

These are the 3 cases you're going to have to deal with, and number 2 and 3 are going to appear quite often. The old group didn't even have to attack those Steam seller or "Hi, I'm new. Let's talk about what kind of character you want to have sex with. OH crap, locked" to get them to leave.

The forum isn't dead. I see plenty of new posts daily. Certainly more than 10 posts a day. And the hostility wasn't just towards the "fetish fest" people.

I can totally understand why someone would dislike these changes, and I apologize. These changes had to have happened eventually though. Its for the best.

Aleu

Deuces
Because stirring up a ruckus within the staff hierarchy with no warning, making questionable choices regarding introducing new staff, banning regular users and passing out infractions for petty reasons, and then waiting several days to leak out a feeble explanation that barely serves to genuinely cover any of the current issue is supposed to reassure the remaining few regulars here that we're not being driven away? Really?

I can't honestly believe any of that, and it bothers me that key opinions here have been conveniently preemptively silenced. Under current rule, is't a damn miracle I haven't been banned yet as it is. No loss if I am, if this is the way things are to stay.
It is what it is, really.

I mean, we can't change the past. If things DO turn out for the worst then I'm sure there'll be a far larger exodus than what I've seen. Bans included. All we can do is hold them to their word.

Status
Not open for further replies.