• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Regarding Recent Changes to the Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mentova

I live, I die, I live again
Because stirring up a ruckus within the staff hierarchy with no warning, making questionable choices regarding introducing new staff, banning regular users and passing out infractions for petty reasons, and then waiting several days to leak out a feeble explanation that barely serves to genuinely cover any of the current issue is supposed to reassure the remaining few regulars here that we're not being driven away? Really?

I can't honestly believe any of that, and it bothers me that key opinions here have been conveniently preemptively silenced. Under current rule, is't a damn miracle I haven't been banned yet as it is. No loss if I am, if this is the way things are to stay.

As far as I know, nobody has been infracted for petty reasons. People have been infracted for being overly hostile and angry, however. Which is how things have always been.

Nobody is, or has been banned for having opinions. However, if you act like an ass about it, action might be taken.
Now I wish I could link to the first thread an comments I made which were polite, even if they had an undertone of slight irritation. Of course, I can not as they were harddeleted.

It is kind of easy to say that all action taken was necessary when everything pertaining to it has been conveniently harddeleted. Just saying. Yes some comments may have been inflammatory, but not *all*.
Like I said, people were a bit heavy handed at first. I don't necessarily agree with how that was handled, but a lot of the posts were pretty hostile and deserved to be removed and infracted.

Littlerock

numb with cold
It is what it is, really.

I mean, we can't change the past. If things DO turn out for the worst then I'm sure there'll be a far larger exodus than what I've seen. Bans included. All we can do is hold them to their word.

Frankly, given the current situation, and recent method of dealing with things, I'm not prepared to hold anyone to their word. It's like asking the same guy thrice to hold your beer when he's pissed in it the first two times already.

Toshabi

Banned
Banned
It is what it is, really.

I mean, we can't change the past. If things DO turn out for the worst then I'm sure there'll be a far larger exodus than what I've seen. Bans included. All we can do is hold them to their word.

Things like this have happened before. Plenty of times. There's so much dust under the rug that it's no mystery as to how so much of that dust has found its way into the air.

Mentova

Frankly, given the current situation, and recent method of dealing with things, I'm not prepared to hold anyone to their word. It's like asking the same guy thrice to hold your beer when he's pissed in it the first two times already.

I'm not a liar. I'm a man of my word. Everything I've said, I've been sincere about.

Zeitzbach

Taste purple
The forum isn't dead. I see plenty of new posts daily. Certainly more than 10 posts a day. And the hostility wasn't just towards the "fetish fest" people.

I can totally understand why someone would dislike these changes, and I apologize. These changes had to have happened eventually though. Its for the best.

I dislike this kind of changes because it happened once to me on another forum, and it KILLED (yes, killed) the forum.

It had like 30+ interesting people.
Then 2 new mods were hired. 1 was known to only acted nice so he could get a mod position. 1 was an asshole who only got the position because he was with the staff friend.

It was a shitstorm. One of the staff even logged on on SATURDAY (no work) just to calm everyone down. Sadly, it shifted and the "Banana joke" got over half of the interesting ban and the new mods were removed. Like, the mod freaking banned you for questioning the ban of other members, the mods selection or for saying BANANA because it was a "troll attempt."

Although it ended just that with all the account unbanned, no one returned. From having new posts and threads to read everyday, the first page required at least 3 days for something to go to the second page, assuming no one necroforthelol.

Then they decided to hire new mods again to "reform the place" and all the interesting people left. Only those who still play the game stayed. Unless it's something like Christmas, the first page NEVER move. The new mods were like "We actually have lots of people posting daily" and the admin backed that up but the thing is, there was NO interesting posts whatsoever. It's always "Tell me about yourself, but no one will really it" kind of threads that only get posts.

New people joined. They make their intro. They leave. That's it. no new thread. Post count : Maximum of 10.

This is the kind of reform that I'm afraid FA is going through. It's the exact same pattern. People think it's good but in actuality, it's not. It's just freezing the forum in a state that, although is a lot easier to control, will never have any new development going. Not to mention this forums DOES NOT allow random pointless discussion. The only reason that place still has new thread is because people can make 5 different 0 post thread just to say hi. This place locks everything that goes in the sticky or has no solid topic. It's going to be hard for new people to get used to.

A

Ansitru

The trouble is that at this point, you're pretty much taking a gamble by even posting something so much as hinting at criticism of the staff and the way things are handled.

Because while one mod may also disagree with the way things are being handled and be lenient on you with a warning, another mod may be eager to whack you with the hammer of doom for all he can. There's inconsistency and quite frankly, with every post I make I'm half-expecting for it to be deleted and to get infracted if the contents of that post are not just mindless small talk. This is the current atmosphere you are allowing and I dislike it intensely.

Aleu

Deuces
That's fine. Like I said I've known Mentova for a while and I trust him not to give my beer to the guy that will piss in it.

Things like this have happened before. Plenty of times. There's so much dust under the rug that it's no mystery as to how so much of that dust has found its way into the air.
I'm trying to be optimistic :c

Mentova

I dislike this kind of changes because it happened once to me on another forum, and it KILLED (yes, killed) the forum.

It had like 30+ interesting people.
Then 2 new mods were hired. 1 was known to only acted nice so he could get a mod position. 1 was an asshole who only got the position because he was with the staff friend.

It was a shitstorm. One of the staff even logged on on SATURDAY (no work) just to calm everyone down. Sadly, it shifted and the "Banana joke" got over half of the interesting ban and the new mods were removed. Like, the mod freaking banned you for questioning the ban of other members, the mods selection or for saying BANANA because it was a "troll attempt."

Although it ended just that with all the account unbanned, no one returned. From having new posts and threads to read everyday, the first page required at least 3 days for something to go to the second page, assuming no one necroforthelol.

Then they decided to hire new mods again to "reform the place" and all the interesting people left. Only those who still play the game stayed. Unless it's something like Christmas, the first page NEVER move. The new mods were like "We actually have lots of people posting daily" and the admin backed that up but the thing is, there was NO interesting posts whatsoever. It's always "Tell me about yourself, but no one will really it" kind of threads that only get posts.

New people joined. They make their intro. They leave. That's it. no new thread. Post count : Maximum of 10.

This is the kind of reform that I'm afraid FA is going through. It's the exact same pattern. People think it's good but in actuality, it's not. It's just freezing the forum in a state that, although is a lot easier to control, will never have any new development going. Not to mention this forums DOES NOT allow random pointless discussion. The only reason that place still has new thread is because people can make 5 different 0 post thread just to say hi. This place locks everything that goes in the sticky or has no solid topic. It's going to be hard for new people to get used to.

Like I've mentioned, if I felt the forums community was in grave danger, I would've stepped down. I care for the community here. I don't want to see it become a wasteland. That being said, I also feel that some changes need to be made. I don't feel like these changes will kill the community.

The trouble is that at this point, you're pretty much taking a gamble by even posting something so much as hinting at criticism of the staff and the way things are handled.

Because while one mod may also disagree with the way things are being handled and be lenient on you with a warning, another mod may be eager to whack you with the hammer of doom for all he can. There's inconsistency and quite frankly, with every post I make I'm half-expecting for it to be deleted and to get infracted if the contents of that post are not just mindless small talk. This is the current atmosphere you are allowing and I dislike it intensely.
Nobody has been banned for having opinions, or criticizing the staff. We're open to criticism. Aleu didn't get banned when she asked why chase was put in charge.

The problem is the people who have had action taken against them haven't posted their thoughts in a tactful way. Screaming and calling everyone names is not appropriate.

Last edited:

Littlerock

numb with cold
I'm not a liar. I'm a man of my word. Everything I've said, I've been sincere about.

I know you, I like you, and I trust you, and I honestly think that you must be in the dark about some of the things that have been happening here to have this kind of attitude about it.
This, of course, does nothing to quell my disease regarding the situation.
As far as I know, nobody has been infracted for petty reasons. People have been infracted for being overly hostile and angry, however. Which is how things have always been.

Nobody is, or has been banned for having opinions. However, if you act like an ass about it, action might be taken.

Like I said, people were a bit heavy handed at first. I don't necessarily agree with how that was handled, but a lot of the posts were pretty hostile and deserved to be removed and infracted.

The negotiable bar of what is reasonable was dropped suddenly, and without warning. From what I've seen, posts have not significantly upped in hostility; but the moderation of these types of posts has. Granted there have been overly hostile posts in the few days, but the majority of bans and deletes have been performed in such a way that demonizes the user's actions while leaving everyone else to think the worst. This does jack all for PR.

Willow

FAF's #1 Terrorist
Unfortunately, I guess call outs aren't allowed because I would have made a comparison. Then again the person I'm referring to is 1. banned (apparently?) and 2. not a mod anymore.

I don't doubt you're being sincere. Or any of the other mods everyone's typically used to seeing. It's the ones we're not seeing I guess that makes this situation really unsettling for some.

Mentova

I know you, I like you, and I trust you, and I honestly think that you must be in the dark about some of the things that have been happening here to have this kind of attitude about it.
This, of course, does nothing to quell my disease regarding the situation.

The negotiable bar of what is reasonable was dropped suddenly, and without warning. From what I've seen, posts have not significantly upped in hostility; but the moderation of these types of posts has. Granted there have been overly hostile posts in the few days, but the majority of bans and deletes have been performed in such a way that demonizes the user's actions while leaving everyone else to think the worst. This does jack all for PR.
I might not be aware of everything that's been going on, but I do know a lot of people have been over reacting, or jumping to conclusions. A lot of the really bad stuff was flat out deleted (and some of the not so bad stuff, which is why I felt people were a bit heavy handed) but as far as I know nobody has been infracted for anything unfair. Perhaps some of the freaking out is justified as things have been extremely sudden (even for us), but I promise that I won't let the forums become a happy hugbox nazi wasteland. :c

PS: if someone was hit with an infraction that they really do feel was unfair, PM me about it and I'll take a look.

A

Ansitru

Like I've mentioned, if I felt the forums community was in grave danger, I would've stepped down. I care for the community here. I don't want to see it become a wasteland. That being said, I also feel that some changes need to be made. I don't feel like these changes will kill the community.

Nobody has been banned for having opinions, or criticizing the staff. We're open to criticism. Aleu didn't get banned when she asked why chase was put in charge.

The problem is the people who have had action taken against them haven't posted their thoughts in a tactful way. Screaming and calling everyone names is not appropriate.

And again I would like to point to my posts and ask where exactly I was supposedly screaming or using ad hominems, but. Y'know.

Edit to add: I am aware I am starting to sound annoyed and I will do my best to keep my posts as neutral and polite as possible. But the recent changes are not some that I agree with.

Last edited by a moderator:

Trpdwarf

Lurking in Castle Moats

I would like to build on this and remind the users about something. When a person has infractions that are active it goes up to 3 before something happens. 3 and After 3, the system automatically temp bans the person. Off and on I've seen people really get upset because they think that staff here suspended a person over a single thing. They see the last post or where the person last was, and they sometimes assume "That" is the entire reason why a person has been suspended/perm banned. People should stop and think before making such assumptions. You don't know what a persons current infraction number is at. That is between staff and user, that is private.

A person really really really has to draw a horrible bad line in order to be removed for just one thing, and even that is rare. If a person is suspended/perm banned it is usually after a build up of previous activities. Please keep that in mind before assuming staff are suspending people left and right over what ever it is you perceive.

Mentova

And again I would like to point to my posts and ask where exactly I was supposedly screaming or using ad hominems, but. Y'know.

Edit to add: I am aware I am starting to sound annoyed and I will do my best to keep my posts as neutral and polite as possible. But the recent changes are not some that I agree with.
I went and looked at your thread. It was probably deleted because of reynard posting about his removal. I'm not sure if that is something I agree with, but I understand why.

A

Ansitru

I went and looked at your thread. It was probably deleted because of reynard posting about his removal. I'm not sure if that is something I agree with, but I understand why.

Which ties in with the first post I made I suppose.
And at the risk of getting slapped for comparing FA to deviantART: they release journals on set times with changes that have been made, changes that are being looked at an community input. Basically, they have a strong link of communication with their use base, even when big changes are being made, something that is severely lacking on FA/F. When big changes are being made, that is not an excuse to put off informing the community because your busy with the change, but it is a reason to inform the community because something is about to change and people like to be in the know even if only vaguely.

No one is asking for detailed plans but updates are a good thing. Which I also mentioned before this update, but that comment also mysteriously vanished.

Smelge

Hey, Assbutt
That's fine. Like I said I've known Mentova for a while and I trust him not to give my beer to the guy that will piss in it.

Except the entire bar is fitted with piss sprinklers. Even if the third person doesn't piss in it, it'll get filled with generalised airborne piss.

Mentova

Which ties in with the first post I made I suppose.
And at the risk of getting slapped for comparing FA to deviantART: they release journals on set times with changes that have been made, changes that are being looked at an community input. Basically, they have a strong link of communication with their use base, even when big changes are being made, something that is severely lacking on FA/F. When big changes are being made, that is not an excuse to put off informing the community because your busy with the change, but it is a reason to inform the community because something is about to change and people like to be in the know even if only vaguely.

No one is asking for detailed plans but updates are a good thing. Which I also mentioned before this update, but that comment also mysteriously vanished.
This is something we've been working on. Personally I wish that we got this announcement out sooner, but its been chaotic and stressful.

thoron

I would like to build on this and remind the users about something. When a person has infractions that are active it goes up to 3 before something happens. 3 and After 3, the system automatically temp bans the person. Off and on I've seen people really get upset because they think that staff here suspended a person over a single thing. They see the last post or where the person last was, and they sometimes assume "That" is the entire reason why a person has been suspended/perm banned. People should stop and think before making such assumptions. You don't know what a persons current infraction number is at. That is between staff and user, that is private.

A person really really really has to draw a horrible bad line in order to be removed for just one thing, and even that is rare. If a person is suspended/perm banned it is usually after a build up of previous activities. Please keep that in mind before assuming staff are suspending people left and right over what ever it is you perceive.

If that is the case then it needs to be made public knowledge as to what leads to a like that. If people don't know that three infractions leads to a temporary ban then they are going to assume its the work of the mods.

Mentova

If that is the case then it needs to be made public knowledge as to what leads to a like that. If people don't know that three infractions leads to a temporary ban then they are going to assume its the work of the mods.
It says so in the rules, which people need to read :/

Smelge

Hey, Assbutt
We need to stop talking about fetishes and get back to how fucking retarded this whole situation is.

Status
Not open for further replies.