• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Forum Regarding responding with reaction images

quoting_mungo

This is not intended to apply to the Off Topic forum section; I accept that shitposty behavior is more acceptable/appropriate there.

I would like to suggest that staff consider introducing a rule against making posts solely containing a reaction image (or a reaction image plus “LOL” or similar non-content statement). This especially goes for dismissive or derisive use of reaction images, e.g. the Michael Jackson(?) popcorn-eating GIF, an image expressing “I’m laughing so hard” in response to a post clearly not containing a joke that would make such a reaction appropriate, or the common “bait” graphic.

These posts contribute nothing to the threads they’re posted in and serve to create a more hostile environment. If prohibiting all of these cases is considered too far, at the very least eliminating the “popcorn” posts would be much appreciated. It’s utterly disrespectful to other users to take the time to post what essentially amounts to “I’m just here to watch the drama.”

luffy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
We had this rule in the politics subforum and have since gone the direction of enforcing main site rules without the addition of others on the forum. If there are users which consistently do this, it may be worth a block to not see it since it typically stems from being unconstructive in general. If the image breaks a rule we have in our terms, we'll gladly remove the post.

quoting_mungo

We had this rule in the politics subforum and have since gone the direction of enforcing main site rules without the addition of others on the forum. If there are users which consistently do this, it may be worth a block to not see it since it typically stems from being unconstructive in general. If the image breaks a rule we have in our terms, we'll gladly remove the post.
The rule being in place honestly was a major reason I was disappointed to see the Politics subforum go. I’m a stick in the mud who would rather not have shitposting intrude on areas of the forum outside Off Topic (which is easy enough to just stay out of).

I can respect the reasoning of wanting to minimize the number of forum-exclusive rules, though I am concerned that reaction images may become a way to dodge some aspects of CoC. There’s way more plausible deniability when no actual words are involved.

ETA: I also don’t believe there’s currently a solid statement from staff that concerns thread derailment, and what constitutes derailment. In my view popcorn GIFs are nearly universally derailing in nature, but I don’t know to what degree derailment is currently considered an offense.

Last edited:

luffy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
ETA: I also don’t believe there’s currently a solid statement from staff that concerns thread derailment, and what constitutes derailment. In my view popcorn GIFs are nearly universally derailing in nature, but I don’t know to what degree derailment is currently considered an offense.
Thread derailment currently is not an offense. However, if it happens often enough from the same individual, we have begun disallowing them to post in those threads as it's unconstructive. We are not, however, taking action against their account in terms of warnings, etc., unless it's something that breaks our COC/TOS.

Ovidia Dragoness

Udder Derg
Banned
Thread derailment currently is not an offense. However, if it happens often enough from the same individual, we have begun disallowing them to post in those threads as it's unconstructive. We are not, however, taking action against their account in terms of warnings, etc., unless it's something that breaks our COC/TOS.
When dafuq was this put in place? I've gotten plenty of warnings for "derailing" threads.