• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

regarding the ddos attack message

Pi

A reason we didn't give official news at the time was due to the fact FA and the forums were both being DDoS'd at the same time. We have no idea of the "who", only the "how". And it was a pretty elaborate "how".

So? This isn't relevant in the slightest.

Competent sites have 'status.domain.com' hosted outside of their network, where they can throw up "We're being DDOS'd and we're working with our hosting provider to get traffic to a manageable level".

The "who" doesn't even enter into it. Why do you feel the need to point fingers? (I wouldn't be surprised, given my past experience with your organization, that you suspect (with no evidence -- entirely baseless) that I had something to do with it)

What was the "how", anyway? Do you have packet captures showing any kind of advanced attack?

Last edited:

Firehazard

I can fix it!
So? This isn't relevant in the slightest.

Competent sites have 'status.domain.com' hosted outside of their network, where they can throw up "We're being DDOS'd and we're working with our hosting provider to get traffic to a manageable level".

Being as you're banned, you'll never see this, but for the record: We DO have our downtime messages hosted somewhere else, same as the forum. And that somewhere else was also being attacked. I suppose we could go so far as to have a third host, but really, at that point you're getting into a level of security that only big names like banks or something bother with. Hell, we might as well put the whole network on "the cloud" while we're at it. It'd cost an arm and a leg, but at least we'd be safe.

Look. I was with you on the whole secure code thing, but there's a point where you have to just draw a line. The only thing that was preventable here was us not getting information fast enough. At this point you're basically standing in a bombed-out shell of a building and griping that the shelves are crooked.

Anakarr

See, what these clever DDOSing douche nuggets dont realize... Is that hosting and domain names, are a dime a dozen these days, and, they cant keep it up forever. So while they are wasting their time doing all this programming and things they think are going to stop us... We are sitting here, looking at the clock or our watches, watching entflix, creating MORE art, so when the ISP's and Hosting companies either ban the piss out of them, or bring them up on charges, we will be flodding the site with more artistic creations. Im so glad they are putting their knowledge to good use... (Sarcasm)

RedSavage

Rattlesnake Flavored
See, what these clever DDOSing douche nuggets dont realize... Is that hosting and domain names, are a dime a dozen these days, and, they cant keep it up forever. So while they are wasting their time doing all this programming and things they think are going to stop us... We are sitting here, looking at the clock or our watches, watching entflix, creating MORE art, so when the ISP's and Hosting companies either ban the piss out of them, or bring them up on charges, we will be flodding the site with more artistic creations. Im so glad they are putting their knowledge to good use... (Sarcasm)

>1 Post Count
>Necros thread from 2011