• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Regreted Joining furry community

Kellan Meig'h

Kilted Luthier
I joined up here because I was already using the main site. It's been entertaining at times, some serious conversations and the usual 4chan trolls. No regrets other than the time I've lost reading threads that turn into dumpster fires.

Filter

ɹǝʇlᴉℲ
No. I like the concept of furries, the art, and the general creativity too much to regret it. My personal experience as an artist and a lurker on the outskirts of the subculture has been overwhelmingly positive. Although I may not be as involved with fandom activities as others, that might change someday when I have more time. Along with liking animal characters for as long as I can remember, the DIY/independent spirit of the fandom has held a place in my heart for decades now.

If you're thoughtful about it, focusing on the things that you like, and not wasting energy on the things that you don't, furry can be a lot of fun.

Jackpot Raccuki

Fucking Racon
It’s been decent, but there are times I regret it, since some different furry communities make me question why I’d want to associate with them by calling myself a furry.

But otherwise no, trolls and such don’t effect me, I just feel immense disappointment from certain parts of the community and some people, that it’s like when your mom says “I’m not mad, just disappointed.”

Luckily the smaller groups I’m apart of or created are nice.

pingpong99

No for the most part, maybe yes to being indirectly associated with some of the less savory parts of the fandom. It's a huge group and contains every type of person under the sun, but there's a lot of bad faith maligning of furries as a whole. It's barely worth engaging with that sort of thing because they'll dismiss anything you say as a cope and aren't actually interested in understanding what being a furry is about :~( It's one of the reasons I don't call myself one yet, too much baggage!

Matt the Terrier

Swing the Mood! =3
No, because I love how weird it is. Don't lie, this is a weird hobby with some weird people, and I embrace it! I love breaking conformity and doing things that are strange and unusual! And also, I love anthropomorphic animals, and I've had Matt the Terrier for over ten years, so it's only natural that I'd be a furry.

Ampelos

a wee queer deer
No, it really is just a great community. I saw someone talk about how cool it is that with this fandom, we aren’t centred around one creator or thing (ie film, book, celebrity, etc). Instead we just have a shared love for animals and art and creativity, which is just so amazing and unique from other fandoms!!

Jaredthefox92

Banned
Banned
I gotta admit.. This place is chocked full of hidden zoo's and pedos.

Fucking wretched people.

(Not the forums, but the community as a whole.) (Edited)

And this is why I don't associate myself with being in the mainstream furry fandom, true those are all over the place but I don't do "yiff".

Pomorek

Antelope-Addicted Hyena
Has yall already regreted to join the community?
Dude, what. No way in hell. It was one of the best decisions I ever made!

And about some people being idiots on the internet - well, they're just being themselves I guess... And it happens everywhere. After seeing insanely moronic, aggressive behaviors in such disparate and seemingly innocent communities as airgun shooters, model makers and MTB cyclists, there's not much left that can surprise me.

HistoricalyIncorrect

Shekel collector
Im afraid so.
When I joined? I was excited and full of hope. Months passed, dramas, losing friends because someone desperately needed lewd rp, constant elitism and circlejerking?

Im here for sake of being but when I tried to teach furries some history? ( it did not work) it only brought me disappointment.

I have met few friends but mostly I met people which I used to call friends.

It has it's ups and downs but mainly downs and corrupted moderation in 90% of furry places does not make it easier.

Stray Cat Terry

테리 / 特里 / テリー
Well, no matter where we go, there are 'good' and 'bad' and else in between. I personally don't mind it much, as everything I see is just a 'furry counterpart' of what I can observe out there somewhere as well.

Do I call myself a furry? I didn't use to, but nowadays, yes. Will that make myself one of the massive targets of the drama hunters? Well, yes maybe, but I don't care too much about that.

Why am I a furry? Well, I'm fond of the concept, and if I enjoy myself having furry sona, am able to break more ice walls with other furries upon encountering, and enjoy what I probably can't elsewhere, I guess I am cool telling that I'm a furry. UwU

D

Deleted member 82554

If my involvement on this forum has proven anything it's that there is very little I regret, but god damn I do cringe at the fandom sometimes. The recent return of Kero The Wolf being one of the reasons why. Now that's some controversy right thar!

Wulf the Jackal

Just a cutie
No regrets, at all.
It's not just my decision, but a feelings I had since when I felt more into furry stuff and then fandom.
Since childhood, I liked animals, especially anthropomorphic ones. And I felt like I'd be one, but reality is reality and imagination is imagination, those are different, you know.
And then here comes summer, back in 2016, just when Zootopia was published... And that I got depressed since exactly summer 2016.
It's not just a coincidence, it's relatable. I know that most of young furs are depressed, and I'm in that list...
Well, damn, outside of the fandom, young people are depressed too.
I'm glad to be in this fandom, I've found lots of nice people, lost of stuff and also hobbies, etc etc.
I'll be sticking with this fandom for long, maybe through my entire life, I don't think I'm gonna even leave it, I hardly believe it.

contemplationistwolf

The Restless Maverick
No. I've had to deal with some rather annoying situations, but I don't much care and consider them learning experiences if anything.
On the other hand, I've also met some genuinely interesting and worthwhile people here.

Saurex

Emerian Lore Master
I regret nothing.

This fandom is not much different from any other fandom. The primary difference is that while most fandoms have a single work/character they can fixate on and complain about (think Star Wars...those people are never happy) this fandom is more amorphous. Yes, there are well known characters and content creators, and yes there is drama, but it is far calmer than other fandoms.

Beyond being much calmer, this fandom tends to focus on inclusion, which is unique. Most "fans" of something will throw you under the bus unless you agree with their weird, very specific view of the content in question. Given the range of the content in this fandom, that's hard to do and it keeps things more civil in a way.

I guess the only thing I could lodge as a "regret" would be how shy this fandom can be IRL. Admittedly I'm guilty of this too, but it happens across the entire fandom. Finding a furry out there in the real world (outside of cons or meets) is borderline impossible because of how much flack we catch for being furry. So, as a result, it's hard to find people that share this common interest outside of the virtual world.

nerv

I became a furry accidently when I was 9 and I googled pictures of Krystal from star fox and I've never been able to escape it
I didn't chose the degenerate life lol, i probably need jesus

Saurex

Emerian Lore Master
I became a furry accidently when I was 9 and I googled pictures of Krystal from star fox and I've never been able to escape it
Krystal got me too. I feel your pain.

Raever

Chaotic Neutral Wreckage
Has yall already regreted to join the community? (if u ask me welp a little)

Eh, I've been apart of the community since I was like...ten years old (13+ years).
So I'm kind of stuck to it like gum on a school desk at this point.

That said, I've been fortunate enough to have the maturity that allows me to avoid and block people who I wouldn't happily or intellectually associate with, and thus, the people who do tend to message me are often very kind and supportive, and can carry very strong and rewarding conversations. As such, I do not regret joining the community. The bad apples are semi-easy to avoid most months and the things that do stand out often won't do so for long without a report. The only really gross things tend to be things that a majority of other Furries are also against (ex. "Carpet Samples" // Do not google it if you want to avoid horrid Furry stories). I think that the community gets a bad reputation due to it's niche content and attractive edge from it's "anonymous" handle, but even then, it's still a fun community so long as you know how to conduct yourself and respect other people to a basic degree.

Take all this as you will, if you already regret being apart of the community, nothing I say will make you happy here.
You might find better within another more broad community such as the Anime fanbase.

My Digimon Fandom was my downfall.
I was one of the many Renamon victims, haha.

I joined up here because I was already using the main site. It's been entertaining at times, some serious conversations and the usual 4chan trolls. No regrets other than the time I've lost reading threads that turn into dumpster fires.

To be fair, I take a maniacal joy in reading those so I can't call it a waste of time.
Not because I necessarily support them but...sometimes the logic certain people use falls under the "So bad it's funny" category.