• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Religion in the Furry Community

Which Organised Religion Do You Adhere To?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Fallowfox

Are we moomin, or are we dancer?
But how can you know what lies after death? Have you died yet? I'm not claiming these things for sure. It's just something we can never truly know.

As for developing my own religion. I guess I should say just my own belief system. I wouldn't make up any gods or theology.

Minds carry knowledge and memory which we will loose when we die. But souls carry consciousness and a perception of life that nobody else can see.

Listen to this interesting quote by Einstein: "The religion of the future will be a cosmic religion. It should transcend personal God and avoid dogma and theology. Covering both the natural and the spiritual, it should be based on a religious sense arising from the experience of all things natural and spiritual as a meaningful unity. Buddhism answers this description. If there is any religion that could cope with modern scientific needs it would be Buddhism."

i thought it would be worth mentioning.

Good quote. I forgot to say that I'm still far away from the truth and it's only human to try to find that truth. I'll never reach the point "I know everything and only my view point is right" because nothing can be fully proven, nor fully disproven. But many people claim they know everything, ironically.

If you want to imagine what comes after death, think about what came before your birth. Nothing at all.

You have made some very specific claims about souls, but can you demonstrate those claims are true? Can you show that souls even exist?

If you want to quote Einstein, are you going to ignore Steven Hawking?

"I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark,"

Thought it would be worth mentioning.

Things can be proven and disproven [otherwise your statement would be a paradox- if nothing can be fully proven, then the statement itself is proven]. Exposing magical beliefs as incoherent is not tantamount to claiming to know everything; it's healthy skepticism.

Until it is shown that souls exist, nobody should believe your claim that 'souls are responsible for consciousness', especially when there is evidence to show it is the brain that is responsible for this, not magic, and that consciousness can be easily manipulated and damaged by chemical and physical means.

I think you've just made up your reincarnation claim to fulfill a psychological requirement for more life and to deny your finality. In other words:
[video=youtube;TMjxeZ9FRDE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMjxeZ9FRDE[/video]

There are no right answers, only perceptions. There is no proof only thought. There is no right or wrong, there is but the Tao

WELL aren't I a special snowflake, my third forum post and its one of the most popular threads :3

If there is no right and wrong, how is your claim that the Tao exists meaningful, and why should anybody be persuaded when you make the argument that you are unable to prove it exists?

Imagine if your doctor was prescribing you a new drug, and this is what she said. Would you trust her prescription? No; you would want proof that any drug you take will treat your disease rather than killing you.

You wouldn't be happy to say 'there's no right and wrong, only perception' after taking hemlock to cure hay fever.

Last edited:

CaptainCool

Lady of the lake
But how can you know what lies after death?

I don't. And I never claimed that I do know.
However, there IS one thing that we know. We will all die one day. No matter how evil or good we were, that is something we all have in common. There is no evidence AT ALL what's gonna happen after that, so making any kind of speculation about it is nothing more than that, speculation.
However, religious people like to turn these speculations into facts. "I was good so I will go to heaven!"
It is just like Fry said it, thanks to denial, he is immortal.

Jarklor

Think of this analogy: Before when the Americas weren't discovered yet, science said that more continents didn't exist because of no evidence. But one day, someone found them. They do in fact exist.

One could say when we die, it is a journey across the everlasting ocean of the universe; whether or not there will be something, regardless if there is nothing, the only way to find the truth is to put up a sail and let the wind push you to know for sure. Maybe there will be an endless pit of darkness, but maybe there will be a light. Who said there was nothing before we were born? Maybe we just forgot everything that happened.

Fallowfox

Think of this analogy: Before when the Americas weren't discovered yet, science said that more continents didn't exist because of no evidence. But one day, someone found them. They do in fact exist.

One could say when we die, it is a journey across the everlasting ocean of the universe; whether or not there will be something, regardless if there is nothing, the only way to find the truth is to put up a sail and let the wind push you to know for sure. Maybe there will be an endless pit of darkness, but maybe there will be a light. Who said there was nothing before we were born? Maybe we just forgot everything that happened.

Fair enough, when you prove souls exist I will believe they exist. Until then I am entitled to be skeptical.

CaptainCool

Lady of the lake

Yeah and you know what? They were proven wrong. America does exist.
See, that is the cool thing about science. It works based on things that we know and when we find out new stuff science adapts. This is the best way to find out the truth.
When you believe that something that is unfalsifiable, like souls, does exist you are pretty much unable to change your opinion. You are unable to learn something new because you think this unproven fact that you cling to is a fact. That is part of why religion is so dangerous, it invites you never to change your beliefs.

If you ever prove to me beyond reasonable doubt that souls do exist I will gladly change my opinion. Because I want to know the truth and as little false things as possible. There is absolutely no evidence for the existence of souls, so at least as of right now that is most likely not true and therefore not worth being considered as true.

Fallowfox

To be honest this claim "science said that more continents didn't exist because of no evidence" is probably wrong. I don't think geographers did ever claim, before the world was explored in its entirety, that there couldn't be any more continents.

I think you just made this up because you don't actually know any examples of null hypotheses being trounced, and were too lazy to look one up. [such as the wave/particle nature of light]

Jarklor

Yeah and you know what? They were proven wrong. America does exist.
See, that is the cool thing about science. It works based on things that we know and when we find out new stuff science adapts. This is the best way to find out the truth.
When you believe that something that is unfalsifiable, like souls, does exist you are pretty much unable to change your opinion. You are unable to learn something new because you think this unproven fact that you cling to is a fact. That is part of why religion is so dangerous, it invites you never to change your beliefs.

If you ever prove to me beyond reasonable doubt that souls do exist I will gladly change my opinion. Because I want to know the truth and as little false things as possible. There is absolutely no evidence for the existence of souls, so at least as of right now that is most likely not true and therefore not worth being considered as true.

I'm not saying that I know souls exist 100%. I kind of consider it my own skepticism. I'm open to change though. What I'm saying is the possibility of concrete evidence of an afterlife may only be available when we die. And obviously, nobody's lived to tell the tale.

CaptainCool

Lady of the lake
To be honest this claim "science said that more continents didn't exist because of no evidence" is probably wrong. I don't think geographers did ever claim, before the world was explored in its entirety, that there couldn't be any more continents.

I think you just made this up because you don't actually know any examples of null hypotheses being trounced, and were too lazy to look one up. [such as the wave/particle nature of light]

Considering how ignorant people used to be back then that might very well have been the case. Although geographers probably never made that claim, it was just still widely accepted that the earth is flat and that therefore no more continents could exist.
It is still a bad example though, no matter what people said back then.

CaptainCool

Lady of the lake
I'm not saying that I know souls exist 100%. I kind of consider it my own skepticism. I'm open to change though. What I'm saying is the possibility of concrete evidence of an afterlife may only be available when we die. And obviously, nobody's lived to tell the tale.

So if we can never know for sure, what is the point of wasting time thinking about it?

Fallowfox

Proposing a hypothesis isn't skepiticism. The null hypothesis is the position of skepticism.

For example lord kelvin might propose 'the sun is about 100 million years old, based on the gravitational potential energy we can expect it has converted into black body radiation,'

This is the hypothesis. It is not the position of skepticism. The position of skepticism is 'we don't know the age of the sun'.

In your case, the position of skepticism is 'souls have never been shown to exist, and nobody agrees on a definition that is coherent or testable, so they probably don't exist'.

Considering how ignorant people used to be back then that might very well have been the case. Although geographers probably never made that claim, it was just still widely accepted that the earth is flat and that therefore no more continents could exist.
It is still a bad example though, no matter what people said back then.

Actually this is wrong. Most ancient cultures of the world appreciated the earth was round because they saw ships' masts fall over the horizon as they journeyed away over the sea.

Almost nobody in the history of everything ever believed in a flat earth, and plenty of peoples of the world hypothesised there were other continents.

The Greeks thought there would be an equal number of southern continents to balance out the northern ones. So they actually expected there to be more continents than there turned out to be.

To my knowledge nobody in the history of everything ever believed there could not be any more continents, until the whole sphere of the earth had been mapped and we knew there were no more to be found.

Last edited:

CaptainCool

Lady of the lake
I just read that it is actually a misconception that Columbus tried to prove that the earth isn't flat. Oops^^ I never cared about him so I only just now found out about that :p
He acutally just thought he could go west to reach Asia because he was self-taught and he had no idea how big the earth really is. He underestimated how big it is and just got lucky by bumping into 'Murrica XD
But hey, that means he believed there were no other continents. He thought the earth was smaller than it really was so in his world view there was just no room for another continent :p But this is just a self-taught man, not a scientist. So who cares about what he thought.

Jarklor

Well, if you think about it, there are things in life that we know are there but we can't test. For example: love. Science can't state opinions like "I think I'm in love." There's no way to test that it exists, but we know it's there. Also, people tell me that I'm not gay because there's know evidence of a gay gene. However, there is no evidence of a straight gene either. So that's when we have to rely on our inner emotions sometimes. In my belief, I think our body is just a vessel. People may argue with me. But whatever, if that's what they want to believe than so be it.

I don't care if you're Christen, Jewish, Muslim, Atheist, or whatever. If it makes you happy in the end and you're not hurting anyone else with it, it's fine. I think it's interesting though to study the impact of religion on society, whether if I believe it personally or not.

Ayattar

Banned
Banned
He acutally just thought he could go west to reach Asia because he was self-taught and he had no idea how big the earth really is. He underestimated how big it is and just got lucky by bumping into 'Murrica XD.
And he did it under castilian flag only because portuguese cholars were too competent and claimed that he and his crew will all die due to food and water shortage. Seems that sometimes science is wrong in being right. Kekeke.

kiitsune

Hello

I am Christian and proud of it. Atheists usually tries to drive us Christians mad but I usually ignore them.

CaptainCool

Lady of the lake
Well, if you think about it, there are things in life that we know are there but we can't test. For example: love. Science can't state opinions like "I think I'm in love." There's no way to test that it exists, but we know it's there. Also, people tell me that I'm not gay because there's know evidence of a gay gene. However, there is no evidence of a straight gene either. So that's when we have to rely on our inner emotions sometimes. In my belief, I think our body is just a vessel. People may argue with me. But whatever, if that's what they want to believe than so be it.

I don't care if you're Christen, Jewish, Muslim, Atheist, or whatever. If it makes you happy in the end and you're not hurting anyone else with it, it's fine. I think it's interesting though to study the impact of religion on society, whether if I believe it personally or not.

Love by itself has nothing to do with science though. It can explain why people fall in love and what happens to your body when you are in love but in itself love is just a concept that we came up with. So yeah, bad example.
The "gay gene" is an awfully unscientific concept... Sexuality has to do with more than just one gene, we know that much already.

The problem that I see with irrational beliefs is that it always results in a cascade of more false beliefs. I mean, sure. There is nothing wrong with your beliefs of souls and all that crap, but you already stated many things in this thread that are simply not true or that don't really fit into the concept of the subject. And it all results from one irrational belief that you have.

CaptainCool

Lady of the lake
Hello

I am Christian and proud of it. Atheists usually tries to drive us Christians mad but I usually ignore them.

Oh so now we atheists are just fools and trolls who try to drive you mad? Awesome!

Listen. I beg you, put your bible aside for a moment (just a moment, it's not going anywhere!) look at how logical arguments work and how to identify logical fallicies and then read the bible critically and don't just accept it because that is what you were taught.
The bible and christianity are full of logical fallicies. When text that can be read clearly can be interpreted the opposite way of what it actually says (as in my example above, Exodus 9:12), then where do we stand on that? It just makes no sense!

kiitsune

Oh so now we atheists are just fools and trolls who try to drive you mad? Awesome!

Listen. I beg you, put your bible aside for a moment (just a moment, it's not going anywhere!) look at how logical arguments work and how to identify logical fallicies and then read the bible critically and don't just accept it because that is what you were taught.
The bible and christianity are full of logical fallicies. When text that can be read clearly can be interpreted the opposite way of what it actually says (as in my example above, Exodus 9:12), then where do we stand on that? It just makes no sense!

Just because I am Christian doesn't mean I am very religious person who reads a bible constantly. I just believe in god and it really pisses me off when atheists make fun of us in various websites. It's none of your business what Christians believe. By the way, a Bible is just written by people and it's not true word of God.

CaptainCool

Lady of the lake
Just because I am Christian doesn't mean I am very religious person who reads a bible constantly. I just believe in god and it really pisses me off when atheists make fun of us in various websites. It's none of your business what Christians believe. By the way, a Bible is just written by people and it's not true word of God.

I like that you acknowledge that the bible was written by people and isn't inspired by a higher power.

As for us "making fun of you"... What about christians forcing their beliefs into laws? Atheists aren't making fun of you. We are retaliating because we don't want your bullshit in our lives!

There are no right answers, only perceptions. There is no proof only thought. There is no right or wrong, there is but the Tao

WELL aren't I a special snowflake, my third forum post and its one of the most popular threads :3

Thanks, I was worried this was just gonna be a christian vs atheist debate thread. It seems the other religions kind get forgotten.

Fallowfox

This is an 'appeal to ignorance' fallacy.

Not knowing how something works does not entitle one to a magical explanation. It entitles you to the null hypothesis.

Having a skewed view of science, because it makes you happy, and promoting that to other people is harmful. The next generations which will change our civilisation beyond recognition, will do so with science and technology. They will be people who understand the basic principles of science which you are arguing we should be entitled to flout so that we feel fuzzy inside. As long as magic and woo is proliferated people who could have been contributors will fail to achieve their potential, because they are being stymied by incoherent ways of thinking.

Thought is not a vice from which to derive pleasure at the expense of reason. That's decadent.

People are entitled to live in their imaginary worlds- believe in elves and pixies for all I care. It might be a waste of potential, but it's your call.

It becomes everyone else's business when members of said religions determine which laws the rest of us have to follow- not because there is evidence to show those laws are efficacious, but because it makes their magic deities happy.

It becomes everyone else's business when members of said religions demand that school students are taught distorted versions of science and history, to make their religion appear more favourable.

Last edited:

Jarklor

Overall, I think religion can be good or bad, it just depends on how you use it. So I don't agree with people who say all religion should be abolished. But I don't agree with people trying to make church and state the same. I think it's just religious peoples' way to feel more important. So go and believe what you want, whether if it is nothing at all. Just don't use it as an excuse to hang people or cause harm, obviously. But seriously, I'm tired of Christians who tell me that I'm going to hell.

Ayattar

Banned
Banned
As for us "making fun of you"... What about christians forcing their beliefs into laws? Atheists aren't making fun of you. We are retaliating because we don't want your bullshit in our lives!

And as an atheist I hate people like you exactly the same as religious zealots.
You
Are
Doing
It
Wrong
Just
As
Them

Nikolinni

Niko Linni
I like that you acknowledge that the bible was written by people and isn't inspired by a higher power.

You ever listen to Cat People? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWX_MFNOL_Y#t=169

The chorus goes "Well I've been putting out the fire with gasoline! Putting out the fire...with gasoline!" Granted, Bowie was talking about pent up sexual tension and refraining from having sex (...it makes sense if you know what Cat People is about, the movie that is). But I still think it works; by "fighting back" you're simply adding to the fire.

In other words, I agree with Ayattar. You shouldn't be "retaliating", you should be trying to be better than Christians and not stoop to the level of "Getting back" on them. Take a page out of Xanatos' (from Gargoyles) book and realize that "revenge is a sucker's game". Go watch Fearless sometime and learn that "Hatred only begats more hatred".

And yes, I'm completely serious. I did just pull of a string of references, but I think they're relevant.

Last edited:

Granus

I tend to stay as far away from religion and religion discussions as possible. I don't consider myself a part of any religion, and I don't care what religion other people are, just as long as they leave me out of their debates or trying to get me to join a religion. I just find it very unnecessary, and wasteful. Praying all day to something that might or might not be, going to church bores me to no end, and it all just seems pointless to me. That's all I'm going to say about religion. I'm sorry if I offended anyone, but that's how I feel.