• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Religion in the Furry Community

Which Organised Religion Do You Adhere To?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Fallowfox

Are we moomin, or are we dancer?
There are also still people who believe in the norse gods. And to a certain degree I can understand that because those guys are BADASS!
If I had to choose a religion...

jesus_vs__thor_by_partypandaibiki-d3cicuh.png

Just sayin'.

I have sometimes found there is an ...uncomfortable association between people who still celebrate the norse gods and nordic supremacists.

CaptainCool

Lady of the lake
I have sometimes found there is an ...uncomfortable association between people who still celebrate the norse gods and nordic supremacists.

Oh, really? Care to elaborate on that? I haven't really looked into the nordic religions because they aren't really all that important as part of the bigger picture.

Yes, I believe it is also classified as a subcategory of Peganism.
Worship of Ancient Egyptian gods are still practiced today, though mainly by those in Egypt itself

Out of sheer curiosity, why exactly do you believe in those things?

Vasquez

The shelled collector
The same reason anyone would choose to believe in a religion, feeling a connection with said religion, an interest in the religion itself or a genuine belief in the 'lore'

Fallowfox

Oh, really? Care to elaborate on that? I haven't really looked into the nordic religions because they aren't really all that important as part of the bigger picture.

Just my experience with some Scandinavians online, who make very awkward comments about people who aren't Nordic, and constantly glorify the old gods.

CaptainCool

Lady of the lake
The same reason anyone would choose to believe in a religion, feeling a connection with said religion, an interest in the religion itself or a genuine belief in the 'lore'

So you believe that these gods exist? If that is so, why? What is your evidence for that?

Just my experience with some Scandinavians online, who make very awkward comments about people who aren't Nordic, and constantly glorify the old gods.

Interesting... I haven't met anyone like that before. Actually the few Scandinavians who I know are atheists.

Fallowfox

The people in question are atheists- they just associate with the norse gods loads.

One of them went absolutely ape-shit about 'desecration' when it was revealed marvel was making a female thor.

So you believe that these gods exist? If that is so, why? What is your evidence for that?

Guessing this will be thin on the ground. They probably just like egyptian stuff quite a lot, or perhaps wanted to find a very esoteric pagan religion to irritate catholic relatives. ;3

Vasquez

The shelled collector
Guessing this will be thin on the ground. They probably just like egyptian stuff quite a lot, or perhaps wanted to find a very esoteric pagan religion to irritate catholic relatives. ;3
No need to be rude, sir. And I don't really think of it as a form of paganism, more like it's own religion if that makes sense? My relatives are also far from religious, not that any of your points really relate anyway
And yes, I do believe that the gods exist, and as for why, it's a mix of the three points I made previously. Mainly a spiritual connection, and a belief of most of the religious history
And as for evidence, I guess in the same sense of the believers of the Norse gods, various carvings and ancient hieroglyphics. Used in the same sense Christianity uses the Bible as a form of evidence

Last edited:

Fallowfox

Ah, I was only joking, but I still have trouble personally understanding why people think Ra exists for any reason other than special snowflakism.

It's kinda like thinking the minotaur is real.

Vasquez

The shelled collector
Apologies, it's quite hard to tell if someone is joking or not through typed text, but I do understand your curiosity. I guess it's just personal preference really, like everything else. People choose what to believe provided they have evidence, a reason or not

CaptainCool

Lady of the lake
People choose what to believe provided they have evidence, a reason or not

Which is why we do NOT choose what we believe in. It's impossible. Belief is always tied to evidence or something along those lines. Or can you choose not to believe in your gods?

Vasquez

The shelled collector
Which is why we do NOT choose what we believe in. It's impossible. Belief is always tied to evidence or something along those lines. Or can you choose not to believe in your gods?
I realise my poor choice in ordering of words, what I meant was people choose if they have a reason or not, even without evidence. Personally I don't think I could change my view and deny all previous belief of the gods associated with my religion, it's like asking someone "Can you choose not to enjoy your favourite food?" (I hope that makes sense, I'm terrible with words)
I have met some silly people who believe in something even though there is tonnes of evidence which says it does not (do note I'm not talking about religion here, just general things)

KyryK

Well...you tried
Banned
While racist beliefs aren't necessarily a part of Germanic Neopaganism there are several groups that have woven white supremacy into the religion.

They're not massively helpful but here are some paragraphs from Wikipedia that go into some detail if you're interested:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Germanic_neopaganism#Racial_issues

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neo-völkisch_movements#Nordic_racial_paganism

tehashi

Huh, no "Other" option? seems a little limiting.

My personal beliefs fall into the norse pantheon, however you label it, asatru, vanatru, heathen, etc. If you prefer specific labels then I further specify i am mostly Lokean, and have been for about 8 years.

KyryK

Well...you tried
Banned
I believe "Other" should be an option here, as I'm Kemetic

Huh, no "Other" option? seems a little limiting.

My personal beliefs fall into the norse pantheon, however you label it, asatru, vanatru, heathen, etc. If you prefer specific labels then I further specify i am mostly Lokean, and have been for about 8 years.
Neopagan religions are something i've taken an interest in for quite a while, if you guys could link me to any materials that would allow me to gain a greater understanding of your religious beliefs i'd greatly appreciate it.

Lobar

The hell am I reading, here?

There is an unfortunate correlation between Asatru and neo-Nazis.

Nazis fuckin' ruin everything, I swear.

Jay_Foxx

Author
I personally have no use for religion. It only makes life more complicated than it needs to be. I know quite a few people who are religious, including my mother, but I personally never saw the attraction. All I need for peace of mind is a roof over my head, food in my belly, good friends, and someone to cuddle up with at night. The rest will tend to itself when it's time.

KyryK

Well...you tried
Banned
If you want some information, there's a few facts located here: http://www.religionfacts.com/neopaganism/paths/kemetic.htm
And the main forum surrounding the subject is here: http://www.netjer.org/forums/
Almost forgot about this nifty place thetwistedrope.wordpress.com/kemeticism/kemetic-starter-guide/

I hope this helps
Thank you.

The House of Netjer forums and the websites they link to should be helpful. The 3rd link is broken for me though, i keep getting 404 errors.

Kit H. Ruppell

Exterminieren! Exterminieren!
There are also still people who believe in the norse gods. And to a certain degree I can understand that because those guys are BADASS!
If I had to choose a religion...

jesus_vs__thor_by_partypandaibiki-d3cicuh.png

Just sayin'.

Don't forget the lightning
1276678822.jpg

Vasquez

The shelled collector
I have no idea why that link isn't working right, but it works just fine if you copy/paste the address

tehashi

Neopagan religions are something i've taken an interest in for quite a while, if you guys could link me to any materials that would allow me to gain a greater understanding of your religious beliefs i'd greatly appreciate it.

Well here are a few pages i had bookmarked when i went back to flesh out my knowledge of asatru;
http://www.asatru-u.org/
http://www.erichshall.com/asanew/newtotru.htm
http://www.irminsul.org/ (page is a bit dated looking, but it has a pretty good sized list of asatru groups by location)

There is an unfortunate correlation between Asatru and neo-Nazis.

Nazis fuckin' ruin everything, I swear.

Regretfully they do, however the percentage of nazis to non-nazis is very low, so you shouldn't let that ruin your view of Asatru/Heathanism as a religion. I mean heck, nazis use christianity to push their views, but we don't say christianity is bad because there is a correlation between the two. :-j

Last edited:

Hinalle K.

Banned
Banned
Honestly our current religions are so frikkin' boring.

Why did the greek / norse mythology have to die out? :[

tehashi

Honestly our current religions are so frikkin' boring.

Why did the greek / norse mythology have to die out? :[

That's one of the awesome things about religion though! You can follow it even if others don't. You like greek or norse religion? have at it! worship to your hearts content. ^.^

KyryK

Well...you tried
Banned
I have no idea why that link isn't working right, but it works just fine if you copy/paste the address
Ok, thanks again man. :mrgreen:
Well here are a few pages i had bookmarked when i went back to flesh out my knowledge of asatru;
http://www.asatru-u.org/
http://www.erichshall.com/asanew/newtotru.htm
http://www.irminsul.org/ (page is a bit dated looking, but it has a pretty good sized list of asatru groups by location)
And thank you too. I think i've visited those sites briefly before but i never spent a great deal of time there. The first link isn't working for me though, it just says that the web page isn't available and copy/pasting doesn't work.