• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Religion in the Furry Community

Which Organised Religion Do You Adhere To?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Fallowfox

Are we moomin, or are we dancer?
I dun made a good point, but that makes me a pretentious, irrational asshole. Obscure comparisons, the Russel's teapot argument for example, are conventionally used in philosophy in an argument known as 'reduction to absurdity'. Reduction to absurdity shows that, if the argument used to support a certain conclusion is followed correctly, it will justify a conclusion that is known to be wrong, which means that the argument is unreliable and the previous conclusion is dubious. Absurd situations are a necessity for this argument to function, and do not constitute a personal attack. I'm glad you reconsidered your ideas and bothered to read about the subject, most people don't, but if you get the idea that someone else is trying to put you down then you might imagine that launching your response with about 5 different insults isn't a nice thing to do.

aquilae

Christian, Catholic and practicing. I'm confirmed. I have no doubt in my belief, but I respect that of other :)

RedSavage1

DefunctDupAccount
I dun made a good point, but that makes me a pretentious, irrational asshole. Obscure comparisons, the Russel's teapot argument for example, are conventionally used in philosophy in an argument known as 'reduction to absurdity'. Reduction to absurdity shows that, if the argument used to support a certain conclusion is followed correctly, it will justify a conclusion that is known to be wrong, which means that the argument is unreliable and the previous conclusion is dubious. Absurd situations are a necessity for this argument to function, and do not constitute a personal attack. I'm glad you reconsidered your ideas and bothered to read about the subject, most people don't, but if you get the idea that someone else is trying to put you down then you might imagine that launching your response with about 5 different insults isn't a nice thing to do.

Well I never outright said "irrational", but I guess it was implicit in the way I was barging on. I was biased from the get go in holding that just as Theists and religious followers have garnered a reputation for being ignorant and unwilling to see fact, Atheists have garnered a reputation as people who -immediately- come off as pretentious and belittling. But again--that's my automatic reaction. I really don't believe in anything either way, but things I do put stock in are general respect and humility, and comparing someone's religion to a floating teapot immediately comes off as disrespectful and arrogant.

How ironic that I myself would go about losing all respect and humility the moment I entered the argument and then expect others to display the same. Emotional reaction induced hypocrisy. It was my personal complex to read the original comment as some grand attack. Apologies.

My own opinion aside, it doesn't make the teacup thing any less of a valid argument, and in fact it's a very decent argument that I know well and have long since been aware off. However, it really had nothing to do with what we were getting on about. Be it as the ultimate counter argument to "no proof either way", you said it yourself--we were arguing semantics on religion and whether atheism could be viewed as one, and I decided to read that at first as "See! There they go again!" . Eventually the fuzzy ass of the Simple Logic monkey landed on my face and I realized that semantics don't mean jack-shit when it comes to the establishment of the definition of a belief by its holders.

And yet by that time I was knee deep in an argument I'd construed as "Well shit! Here's the atheists barging in to drop their overused rhetoric in an argument where it's not even applicable, oblivious to their whole appearance as a religion as a whole." Then it occurred--well fuck. Everyone gets evangelistic about their values they hold close. Perceived irrelevance of arguments aside, my original statement didn't hold up within itself from the start. And if we wanted to play tit for tat on who's being the asshat, I was the one who kicked off the tone of the debate from square One.

Again, biggest thing I should take is just because I think X group are assholes it doesn't justify me being an asshole. Because shit, there's this small possibility that I'm personally biased due to past experiences, and that is one hundred percent my complex to deal with, and I'm the only one legitimately acting like an asshole in a situation where I'm perceiving everyone is simply because it feels good to imagine that everyone I don't immediately agree with is this big douchebag.

What was that thing Albert Ellis went on about... He's a well known psychiatrist. Coined the term "Musterbation". Aka, "These people are saying things I don't agree with in a manner that I don't like--they MUST be assholes!" I fell into that to the T.

Fallowfox

Are we moomin, or are we dancer?
I may have lost you. I constructed an argument that a lack of religious belief is a null hypothesis in order to show that lacking religious belief isn't itself a religion- in the same way that not speaking english isn't itself a language, or not believing in psychic mediumship isn't itself a psychic power.

Ozriel

Inglorious Bastard
Buddhists worship a collection of things, depending what type of Buddhist they are, including previous individuals who supposedly ascended to Nirvana, obtaining super-human status.
Atheism is a belief like not believing in Santa clause is a belief.

I agree that religions are characterized by belief in divinity, moral codes, devotions and so further who express their religion through rituals.

Buddhism in it's nature is atheistic, but there's more divinity and things that were brought over from early Hindu influence. Though it is very possible and likely that if you meet a Buddhist, they will have agnostic views. Though most I've met (including myself) are the Atheistic, or non-theistic since they see gods as a hindrance to enlightenment.

Caffeine, sugar-free, vanilla flavored synopsis.

Last edited:

RedSavage1

DefunctDupAccount
I may have lost you. I constructed an argument that a lack of religious belief is a null hypothesis in order to show that lacking religious belief isn't itself a religion- in the same way that not speaking english isn't itself a language, or not believing in psychic mediumship isn't itself a psychic power.

I think I caught on to this, though didn't necessarily agree. In the spirit of the pedant, I might could say just because you're not speaking English, you might be speaking German, thus a language. That was the big angle I was playing on, but turned out to be a nonpoint anyways. I could only be calling it German. It might be Gibberish. And just because I might consider Gibberish a language it doesn't really make it one.

I guess in a weird sense, in the original argument, to not claim to be Religious at all would be to not even to take upon a term on oneself. You'd have to hold a position of saying, "I'm a non-believer in ideas of ones existence. No I'm not atheist. No I'm not christian/muslim/whatever."

Which is kind of a dumb line of thinking.

tisr

I exist perhaps
I think I caught on to this, though didn't necessarily agree. In the spirit of the pedant, I might could say just because you're not speaking English, you might be speaking German, thus a language. That was the big angle I was playing on, but turned out to be a nonpoint anyways. I could only be calling it German. It might be Gibberish. And just because I might consider Gibberish a language it doesn't really make it one.

Yeah, the key distinction here is that German is in the set of things which are non-English, and all elements in the set of non-English are languages, but that does not make the set a language itself.

Coffox

was raised catholic. even went through the confirmation process.

but now just veering more into Satanist/Atheist/Humanist.

but instead of labeling myself i am all for open mindedness and the power of choice.
i wouldnt mind studying various religions as it is considered culture. I just wouldnt follow either.

meh.

JoeStrike

WAY older than Mr. Black
I like to say my Judaism is the ground floor to my spiritual beliefs and feelings, not a closed box to keep them in.