• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Religion in the Furry Community

Which Organised Religion Do You Adhere To?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Hakar Kerarmor

PRAISE THE EMPEROR

CaptainCool

Lady of the lake
"Atheism is a religion"
"Atheism is not a religion"
There are arguments for both of these views, really.
You can argue that its the lack of religion, though you could also argue that, using the broadest definitions of religion, such as "a cause, principle, or system of beliefs held to with ardor and faith" (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/religion) that it is a religion. Its a bit of a stretch, but it could fit. Regardless, it is a religious stance or perhaps, to word that better, a stance on religion.

Its not really that big a deal if someone calls it a religion or not though, is it?

EDIT: I am legitimately surprised at the number of atheists here. Interesting. I was actually expecting it to be dominantly Christian like most of the world. Once more people have voted, It'll be interesting to analyze the results and see if any is still dominant. If atheism or any other choice for that matter is strongly dominant it'd be cool to try and analyze this and figure out what it means about furries, or at the very least, FAF.

No, it is most definitely not a religion. It is not a beliefsystem, it just describes a non - belief. It describes that I don't believe you that a higher power of any kind exists.

I suppose most people here and on the Internet in general are not religious because believing something that isn't supported by evidence makes no sense when you are directly at the source for all evidence that you could ever want.
Why believe in 'god did it so SHUT UP' when the truth is just a Google search away?

Hikaru Okami

Radiant Wolf
Google has all the answers. Go to Google if you have a problem and Google shall answer. Google is your best friend. Google is religion. I am a Googleist. :V

Last edited:

Hikaru Okami

Radiant Wolf
Seriously I just looked up the church of google. Should've added googlism to the poll.

(Sorry for double post)

Last edited:

KyryK

Well...you tried
Banned
Agnostic Satanist here...yep.

god isn't real

religon is bad and it should be abolished as it is holding us back in terms of advancement as a civilization , for example Christianity in the United States holding back homosexuality freedom, stem cell research , and cloning of human beings. Another example is Islam holding back human rights and freedom of expression and stuff in 3rd world countries.

The only good example of a religon I can think off is Buddhism because they used their spiritual powers to do wack ass shit like regulate their body temperatures and heartbeats and I have even heard that tulpa conjuring or whatever was taken from Buddhists.
im not religious
Buddhists can be bastards too. In Myanmar the Muslim minority is heavily discriminated against by the Buddhists in the country (Muslims aren't even recognized as citizens) and sectarian violence against Muslims is common.

Alexxx-Returns

The Sergal that Didn't Vore
I most closely identify with deism (which is more a belief/faith than anything else, I guess). I like to think it's the closest a person can get to being an atheist without actually being an atheist.

Nikolinni

Niko Linni
No, it is most definitely not a religion. It is not a beliefsystem, it just describes a non - belief. It describes that I don't believe you that a higher power of any kind exists.

I suppose most people here and on the Internet in general are not religious because believing something that isn't supported by evidence makes no sense when you are directly at the source for all evidence that you could ever want.
Why believe in 'god did it so SHUT UP' when the truth is just a Google search away?

The closest Atheism comes to being a religion is how some atheists act about atheism and what not. One actually accused me of trying to "Destroy the secular nature of atheism" because I said "Atheists get so religious about things sometime" (or something to that effect) and during the ensuing debate I pointed out that Buddhism is technicaly an atheistic religion (since Buddhism does not require worshiping or believing in God(s)). It's like...nice straw man there dude.

My religious views are an odd hodgepodge of various religious systems and even some other random ideas tossed around by other spiritual people. I believe in a higher power of some sort, though I'm unsure as to what its true purpose is and if it even cares much about if we bend a knee to it and say we're sorry for being f'ups. I tend to take a "live and let live" approach, not caring if one is christian or atheist or muslim or whatever, though there are very few acceptations, such as Jashinism or Joy of Satan (the former I feel is over-glorified sadism/masochism, the other has been proven by Christians, Pagans, and even La Veyan Satanists to be nothing more than a "religion" to brainwash young truth seeking kids with neo-nazi ideas).

Xevvy

Gregarious Gremlin
Atheism is just as amazing as the other religion

Atheism isn't a religion, rather the absence of such.

Now for my sarcastic rebuttal: Where's the satanist option? The day isn't done without a good goat sacrifice.

"Atheism is a religion"
"Atheism is not a religion"
There are arguments for both of these views, really.
You can argue that its the lack of religion, though you could also argue that, using the broadest definitions of religion, such as "a cause, principle, or system of beliefs held to with ardor and faith" (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/religion) that it is a religion. Its a bit of a stretch, but it could fit. Regardless, it is a religious stance or perhaps, to word that better, a stance on religion.

Its not really that big a deal if someone calls it a religion or not though, is it?

EDIT: I am legitimately surprised at the number of atheists here. Interesting. I was actually expecting it to be dominantly Christian like most of the world. Once more people have voted, It'll be interesting to analyze the results and see if any is still dominant. If atheism or any other choice for that matter is strongly dominant it'd be cool to try and analyze this and figure out what it means about furries, or at the very least, FAF.

Atheism is not a religion, rather the lack thereof. Implying that people who lack a religion are in a religious group regarding their lack of religion is a hilariously stupid paradox. It simply cannot be. Athiesm is not a religion. By definition, it is the opposite of such.

Also you'll find your assertion that the world is mostly christian is largely false.

Last edited:

KyryK

Well...you tried
Banned

Now for my sarcastic rebuttal: Where's the satanist option? The day isn't done without a good goat sacrifice.
Fun fact: The best way to sacrifice a goat is by killing it and making a vindaloo out of it. When you eat it the burning sensation in your mouth is supposed to simulate the fires of hell and thus bring you closer to Satan.

Fallowfox

Are we moomin, or are we dancer?
the furry community is filled with godless heathens

Oddly the religion of Heathenry actually had many gods.

@ 'what does the prevalence of atheism mean about furries?' It's because many of us are young and, whilst most the web is American, there is a large number of northern european furries- and our cultures don't tend to be very religious ones.

More like agnostics are atheists with common sence.

If I proposed that the orbit of the planets is governed by a legion of magic hidden-folk, who make it appear like they are obeying simply laws, the 'common sense' response is 'no, that's an extraneous and untestable solution'.

If an idea is untestable that doesn't mean 'well, I guess I can't profess to know anything about it' is the most sensible option. The quality of the idea might make it a very obvious that- while we can't test it yet it's probably right, or that it's categorically wrong.

In this case, proposing that the entire universe is hosted by an ephemeral disembodied monkey brain is too silly.

god isn't real

religon is bad and it should be abolished as it is holding us back in terms of advancement as a civilization , for example Christianity in the United States holding back homosexuality freedom, stem cell research , and cloning of human beings. Another example is Islam holding back human rights and freedom of expression and stuff in 3rd world countries.

The only good example of a religon I can think off is Buddhism because they used their spiritual powers to do wack ass shit like regulate their body temperatures and heartbeats and I have even heard that tulpa conjuring or whatever was taken from Buddhists.
im not religious

Buddhism doesn't usually recieve the criticism it deserves. Wars have been waged in the name of Buddhism, including the Buddhist expansion into Sri Lanka, in which the non-Buddhists were slain because 'they are worth less than the animals'.

Today Buddhists in South East Asia, in countries Like Burma, are violently persecuting the Muslim minority there.

Buddhism isn't 'the friendly religion'.

Last edited:

Machine

Shrieking Possum Queen
In this case, proposing that the entire universe is hosted by an ephemeral disembodied monkey brain is too silly.
Sounds metal.

Buddhism doesn't usually recieve the criticism it deserves. Wars have been waged in the name of Buddhism, including the Buddhist expansion into Sri Lanka, in which the non-Buddhists were slain because 'they are worth less than the animals'.

Today Buddhists in South East Asia, in countries Like Burma, are violently persecuting the Muslim minority there.

Buddhism isn't 'the friendly religion'.
Not White Buddhism!

My family and their friends consist of White Buddhists, and they're nothing but completely infallible and warriors for WORLD PEAS!!!

But really, the situation with the Muslims and Buddhists is, like all religious conflict, disheartening.

TrishaCat

The Cat in the FAF
This thread is trembling on dangerous territory....Too much stuff being posted that talk about what is and is not true and what is and is not a good thing, rather than what we all think and believe about the world....

Fallowfox

This thread is trembling on dangerous territory....Too much stuff being posted that talk about what is and is not true and what is and is not a good thing, rather than what we all think and believe about the world....

What we believe should be a function of what we think is or is not true. If it isn't, then what are beliefs for? To make us feel fuzzy?

Machine

Shrieking Possum Queen
To you, maybe.

Everything is subjective.

Calemeyr

Vere Adeptus
I'm a scientist. I don't believe in mystical mumbo jumbo without proper third-party peer-reviewed evidence to form a theory. So no gods, souls, magic moonbeams, or solipsisms. I refuse to worship the old testament god. He is evil. And I will not adhere to philosophies that treat the human mind as some sort of mystical substance that is the only thing that one can be sure of. That's far too individualistic to fit with science. In biology, there are animals with no ego. So I see it the other way. The universe is the only thing we can be sure of and the mind could be an illusion. So say neuroscientists when it comes to consciousness. And the Buddha. And Hume (I think). Screw substance theory then. :p

Grungecat

90's Cat
This old cat is an atheist. It works for me. I also don't discriminate against religion like other atheists do. Live and let live.

PastryOfApathy

I'm an atheist-leaning agnostic since I personally couldn't give two shits about religion in general. If there's no god then welp whatever, and if there is one I hope he's nice enough not to damn me to hell or something because I didn't go to church on sundays.

Alexxx-Returns

The Sergal that Didn't Vore
That's a good point. I would definitely go to [religious temple] if [insert religions here]'s god(s) demanded it - if said religion was confirmed true.But if such god(s) don't see fit to confirm their existence to us, I'm not going to lose sleep over it. I like to think that being a law-abiding citizen with more or less good morals is acceptable.

Fallowfox

I'm not sure why any god like creature would demand the worship of apes in exchange for preserving their brains after they die.

It sounds too much like something people who were afraid of death made up, so that they could pretend they didn't have to confront finality.

Nikolinni

Niko Linni
I'm not sure why any god like creature would demand the worship of apes in exchange for preserving their brains after they die.

It sounds too much like something people who were afraid of death made up, so that they could pretend they didn't have to confront finality.

Heck even in Buddhism there's the idea of finality. Since if you actually manage to achieve Nirvana and escape the Karmatic Wheel (or whatever it's called) you uh...go to wherever Nirvana is. But you aren't reborn anywhere, and it kinda sounds like a "you become one with the universe" type deal.

My whole take on the afterlife is...I dunno. Who knows? Not me. So I think it's best not to get fixated on what heaven or hell might be like, because hey, you might end up in an apartment complex on Block C of Fandango Alley next to the guy who played his rock music too loudly. Only now you're stuck with him forever (or unless you can find another gholish roomate to switch with). Not saying that's what I believe in what could happen, but who knows?

'sides, I think it's important to focus on life here and now. Even if there is an afterlife, I'm sure whatever cosmic forces are out there want the people to get on with their lives and actually live rather than live in fear that they've lost eternal afterlife morality points like we're playing Fallout 3 or some other game with a morality system.

Fallowfox

Heck even in Buddhism there's the idea of finality. Since if you actually manage to achieve Nirvana and escape the Karmatic Wheel (or whatever it's called) you uh...go to wherever Nirvana is. But you aren't reborn anywhere, and it kinda sounds like a "you become one with the universe" type deal.

My whole take on the afterlife is...I dunno. Who knows? Not me. So I think it's best not to get fixated on what heaven or hell might be like, because hey, you might end up in an apartment complex on Block C of Fandango Alley next to the guy who played his rock music too loudly. Only now you're stuck with him forever (or unless you can find another gholish roomate to switch with). Not saying that's what I believe in what could happen, but who knows?

'sides, I think it's important to focus on life here and now. Even if there is an afterlife, I'm sure whatever cosmic forces are out there want the people to get on with their lives and actually live rather than live in fear that they've lost eternal afterlife morality points like we're playing Fallout 3 or some other game with a morality system.

Continuing to exist in perpetuity isn't finality. It evades death by proposing an endless form of continued magical life.

We know we're material beings, whose mental well being is contingent on the physical health of our bodies. When our bodies get damaged badly, after a head injury for example, parts of our self actually die, and when the whole body is gone, none of the self can remain.

It sucks, but that's life.

Ame

Holy… where to start in this mess XD

That my friend is the definition of being not only taken out of context, but also misunderstood, I said the exact same thing in a later post so please read my posts before quoting my older posts XD. And also please next time include the rest of what I say to provide this beautiful thing called ‘context’ meaning I wouldn’t have to have explained what I mean haha. Now what I also meant to say was “Atheism is just as amazing as ANY other religion” not to say Atheism is another religion but rather to say it is just as deserving of respect as any religion would. Just to clarify, sorry about the spelling mistake.

I suppose most people here and on the Internet in general are not religious because believing something that isn't supported by evidence makes no sense when you are directly at the source for all evidence that you could ever want. Why believe in 'god did it so SHUT UP' when the truth is just a Google search away?

Now this is my favourite argument, seen it so many times and it never ceases to brings a smile to my face, the good old “Atheism is logical or scientifically argument”. Considering we are talking ‘evidence’ and ‘sense’ or ‘logic’ let me run this by you. Both Theism and Atheism have NO proof, either of them, none, whatsoever. Either way you swing, you may be able to prove specific beliefs and theories wrong in both Atheism and Theism, but scientifically and LOGICALLY speaking, you CANNOT prove if there is or isn’t a G-d, sure you can disprove theories such as a Primitive Creationist Theory based specific rules and regulations that deem it physically impossible/improbable but the same goes for an Atheist’s early theory of the big bang, (I say ‘early’ to depict a less sound theory) it can be proved wrong or improbable with logic, and even science.

But the pure notion of Atheism and Theism have no evidence for either one. And therefore scientifically and logically, because there is no evidence for either case, it is more rational to believe either is entirely possible and to keep an open mind, making agnosticism the only scientifically and logically sound belief while making theism and Atheism both just as irrational as one another.

You may make the case (or something along the lines of) “It’s ridiculous to believe there is something there when there is no evidence to support it” which humanly, it is, almost crazy even. But in no way is it scientific or logical to assume there is not, it is logical to assume there is a possibility for both.

Please keep in mind I am a Confucian Theist and all that I say is light-hearted and I recognise I just called myself crazy, haha so I’m not purely promoting agnosticism for my own gains, and I also have just as much respect for atheism as I do any other belief but please people think philosophically as well as scientifically.