• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Repercussions of becoming anthropomorphic?

Fox_720B

Has left FAF, at least for now
Attaman: No. Because the dog lacks the underlying skeletal and muscular structure of a human-based body. That said, the addition of tits and hands would technically make it an anthro. But not the same KIND of anthro as what is normally depicted in art. That said...threads like these are an excellent place to look if one has a shortage of straw.

Attaman

"Welcome to FurAffinity Forums, gentlemen."
Attaman: No. Because the dog lacks the underlying skeletal and muscular structure of a human-based body.
In which case you get the above.

You, uh, can't have it both ways. "They totes won't look like at all like a hairy human or human-based person." "They totes will resemble a hairy human or human-based person."

That said, the addition of tits and hands would technically make it an anthro. But not the same KIND of anthro as what is normally depicted in art. That said...threads like these are an excellent place to look if one has a shortage of straw.
They kinda do. Most images are either a human with an animal face, extra body hair, and tail slapped on, or an animal with tits and hands thrown on. Both your images given (the Hyenas and the Canid-Fox-Whatever thing) are of the former variety.

Butters Shikkon

Patron Saint of Queers
9unq06.jpg

50 points to Slytherin...that was well played.

Fox_720B

In which case you get the above.

You, uh, can't have it both ways. "They totes won't look like at all like a hairy human or human-based person." "They totes will resemble a hairy human or human-based person."

Fallacy. A human body covered in fur looks quite different than a human body covered in hair.

Illustration:

Hair: (Fig. A):

83340568.jpg

Fur: (Fig. B):

hayguysfurry.jpg

Same skeletal and muscular structure in the back. Completely different look. It doesn't matter that it's faux fur. The effect is the same. A fur-covered underlying human structure with an animal or hybrid head, hands, feet, tail...wouldn't look like a monstrosity if the structure followed the established norm in furry art. Deviation from the norm could well indeed produce something grotesque.

Consider the following:

Cat without fur (let's consider this the feline equivalent to a hairless human body):

beautyexotica22.jpg

OH GOD WHAT IS IT I DON'T EVEN..

Cat with fur: (Let's consider this the furred version of a similar body):

traditionalsiamese28.jpg

Cat in art: (Let's consider this the equivalent of art drawn of the same body, with fur):

designbreedssiamesewhwh.jpg

Man...that art looks nothing like what that cat looks like in real life.

Please. :rolleyes:

Attaman

"Welcome to FurAffinity Forums, gentlemen."
Seeing as how your argument starts off with calling strawmans and ends with using a fursuiter as a reference to what hairy / fuzzy people would look like (instead of, you know, already hairy persons), I think the derail has already been settled. :D

Duality Jack

Feeling Loki with it.
Summer days would suck.

Glitch

SLUDGE FACE
Being an anthro in Arizona during the summer.

Might as well just stick a WELCOME TO HELL sign outside of the state. :V

You mean there isn't one there already? :v

Aetius

It's Me Gordon, Barney from Black Mesa

They would all mass around flagstaff, because this is the only place in the state that isn't a boiling hellhole in the summer.

What have you people done to my homeland?

Duality Jack

Feeling Loki with it.

Well it is where old crotchety Canadians go to die.

Fox_720B

Seeing as how your argument starts off with calling strawmans and ends with using a fursuiter as a reference to what hairy / fuzzy people would look like (instead of, you know, already hairy persons), I think the derail has already been settled. :D

Do you have a better reference? You continue to miss the point, attaman. Fur looks vastly different than hair. But whatever you want to believe, man. I've presented logical arguments on the feasibility of the matter. Of course on FAF science doesn't matter. What matters is anything that make furries look like freaks. You guys are hilarious. :D

Duality Jack

Feeling Loki with it.
Giving oral sex would be 1000% harder to do without getting hair in the back of your mouth.

DarrylWolf

Banned
Banned
On the whole, nobody really knows.

Reading Kyell Gold's work- and he is the foremost authority on Furry fiction- I get the feeling that his characters are more humans in animal costume than actual animal-people. Sure, they might be stronger-smelling, have fur instead of skin, and have oddly-shaped genitalia but other than that, they are us. If an alien race of animal-people actually did exist, they would find our "furface" minstrel act highly inaccurate and offensive.

It's funny that zoologists and biologists also tend to anthropomorphize animals by giving animals human emotions and mannerisms, which is the opposite of what Furries do. If a pod of dolphins is seen "carrying" a dead member of their pod out to sea, that becomes a "funeral procession" and they must be experiencing "grief". If wolves remain monogamous for life, then suddenly they become "husbands" and "wives" in a "marriage". It's only natural and even acceptable for us to juxtapose human explanations for animal behavior. And it's understandable because we are the only reference point for how anybody should act.

Shaade

C*cksock
I imagine if it were a large-scale thing that it would create a huge divide between the anthros and the humans. Similar to the kind of things we often see in movies and other fictional media. Edit: And in real life between humans obviously.

As for the argument about human hair and fur, there's a huge difference between sporadic, wiry human pubic hair and a soft, tidy coat of fur.
I love clear skin and I love soft fur, but hairy humans just seem like a nasty, mutated hybrid of both to me personally...o.Q
No offense to anyone intended, it's just not my thing.

Last edited:

TigerBeacon

Internet Hate Machine
Well, to get some of the basics out of the way: In all scenarios people are going to come under heavy scrutiny from, well, everyone for fairly obvious reasons. Something just cosmically retconned someone's / a group of / millions of peoples' (assuming "large scale" means at least 1% of the global population) species. Not orientation, not sex, not race, not combination of the above, species. People are going to want to see if such a thing is contagious, related to SCIENCE! or MAGIC! or DIVINE!, just how in-depth the changes are, whether the original person still exists in the new being or has been usurped / replaced, etcetera. Paranoia is possible, but unlikely to occur unless either of a large scale or the majority of the small scale occurs over a small area. Er, paranoia as in mobs and whatnot. People will obviously be alarmed at the sudden presence of [x]-persons existing and having taken the place of someone they knew, but I doubt it'd stretch to full-on violence, especially if the person anthropomorphized is reasonable and doesn't do some crazy shit like try and murder the humans around them.

If this is small scale or, better yet, individual? That person (assuming they aren't in a shithole) is set for life, or if not they will be when they contact the scientific community. As much as people like to assume the default of finding alien life is "Kill it and dissect it!", real-world precedent shows the actual response tends to be "Holy fuck keep it alive as long as possible and observe it". If you're the only person who has become an anthropomorphic animal? They'll be asking you what happened, what's changed, what the different features / senses are like, acquiring blood and tissue and other genetic samples frequently (both to compare to the your old self and catalogue), making sure you're safe, making sure you're comfortable... Yes, a lot of these include having no personal time to yourself and having a lot of medical tests done on you, but notice what's missing? Vivisection, treating as animal-like property, denial of your sapience, etcetera.

Now, if you're an individual, this will likely happen until you die. You'll have people trying to clone you, see if this condition (since you rather obviously started as human) is either replicable or genetically compatible with humanity, use you as PR, publish your story, and so-on and so-on. It won't stop until you're dead or one of the above comes to fruition (ex: They start to clone copies of you, or you are revealed to be genetically compatible with something or another), in which case the focus will - while still heavily focused on you - also change towards those. If you aren't an individual, but part of a small population? This will still last a long time, but the likelihood of you eventually getting private time to yourself increases. Especially if others are found of similar anthropomorphized species as you / all anthros are found to be the same variety (A thousand anthros of a thousand different species will be nigh-on the same as a thousand cases of individual, while a thousand anthros of, say, Poodles would decrease the overall scrutiny of any one individual who didn't have something to make them stand out from other cases).

It's when a large demographic changes that things really risk going to shit. For starters, well, imagine if right now one in a hundred (just one in a hundred) people randomly turned into physical representations Neanderthals. That's it: Genetically they're still human, mentally they're still human, they just look like a neanderthal of their approximate sex and age and build. That alone would be an event that had a major impact. In this case you're having a similar (if not larger) percentage of people suddenly change their species, genetics, everything but the wetware driving them (and, arguably, perhaps even that). Some of these people physically will be unable to communicate with those around them, and others might very well go batshit insane (via either physical changes or complete mental breakdown) and start going bonkers on the people around them.

The more people who change, the more people who will be around to possibly muck up the treatment. The more alarmed people will be (as now it's not "One person in 6.7 billion" changed, nor "One person in 6.7 million changed", it's "One person in 1000" changed, or "One person in 100", or - gods forbid - possibly as far down as "One person in two"), the more likely something is going to go to shit. There is a point where things slowly start to get better (See: If 99% of the population becomes anthropomorphic and 1% remains humans, there's likely going to be a lot of contempt pointed towards the minority that didn't change. At this point it'd arguably be better for the last 1% to change too during the short term, if during the long-term the remaining humans would have the exact same benefits brought up in Individual / Small cases), but for the most part the more stress you put society under the more likely something will give.

Now, at the same time, this also means that whatever crops up after the chaos is more likely to treat those who have been changed as people (especially if, by divine fiat, all those people who are anthropomorphized animals do not win or lose the genetics lottery and are of the same approximate strength, immunities, mentality, and so-on as those who don't change) in a reasonable manner. If it essentially becomes "Racial Tension Mk.II: Species", many nations will bounce back in relatively short order. But if the new demographic is a minority? Has an exceptionally beneficial or malevolent physiology / mentality? Things can really go to shit. I mean, consider three separate scenarios:

1) 50% of the world becomes anthropomorphic animals. They are treated as human in every manner but species and appearance. Same genetic boons / banes, susceptibilities, intelligence, body capabilities, etcetera.
2) 1% of the world becomes anthropomorphic animals. These anthropomorphic animals are generally "Human, +1" to "Human, +10". Some of them are naturally Olympian athletes or geniuses (or both), and even the worst of them tend to have had their physical and / or mental capabilities improved.
3) Same as above, but now it's Humans who are the +1 to +10.

In the first scenario, you're looking at minor cosmetic differences and a tweak to what you give birth to / are reproductively viable with, that's about it. In the second, there's now a super-powered minority who are reliably superior to the majority via genetic lottery. In the third, humanity is the super-powered majority looking over a minority of frail idiots. Which of these do you think would have the most potential for a quick, relatively painless sociological acceptance?

Did you mean: Bloody Roar?

Batty Krueger

DJ Nailbunny
Repercussions of being my anthro?

Absolutly none.

Id roll with it no problems what so ever. If I had that button everyone talks about turning themselves into their sona', I would press it without even a thought. I'm a hermit anyways so I really wouldn't give 2 shits. I'm mostly out and night and I wouldn't be retarded enough to go out and be "look at me imma bat!!". So all in all, furries. Fur. Fuzzy.

YIFF

Kahoku

Forgive Yourself
So, in response to the three-year-old 'Push a button and become anthro' thread, I decided to create this.

What would be the repercussions of becoming anthro? On a large scale, a small scale and as an individual, with personal repercussions and large scale ones, both good and bad.

What would happen to those of us who turn with family life, jobs, and things like medical treatment, on a long and short scale?

Things like this are debated often and this could help settle some arguments.

The constant starring would be driving me nuts, but I would also have to get more cleaning materials.
Vacuum a lot more often, but I would have more fun doing things.

CatterHatter

The Grain of Salt
Social: There would be too many social complications for me because I don't mind walking around in public, but I get really nervous if attention is drawn to me. I'd either have to slough off most of my shyness or start hiding and going out infrequently. I could see it going either way really. Then there is, of course, the interest to where either public media or scientists or both trying to make my life miserable. Long term, if I survived, I'd just have to figure out how to remain off the radar. It seems like going to one or two talk shows/interviews to explain things actually does help if you are already exposed on a small level. People talk about you for a bit, and it might make things more hectic for a little while, but then everyone moves on and forgets about you. Perfect.

Personal: I don't see major personal issues with becoming my fursona. I'd be wigged out at the magic of it because science can't make living-gem tailed draconic caracal anthros... ever; even putting regular anthros on the possibility table.
Some minor issues would be: Shampooing and conditioning myself would take forever. My scaled tail would require extra preening. I'd probably accidentally hit my tail tip on tons of things, which would not hurt me, but I'd break a lot of things or hurt people I bump.
Advantages: Hands - normal in functionality, just slightly furred and padded; claws instead of fingernails. Feet - improved since they'd be prehensile and have an opposable digit. Tail - heavy, but that'd be good to smack someone outta my way if they went to hurt me. The gem itself can change so I could make it sharp to cut anyone that'd mess with me too. Vision - improved to feline capabilities.

Medical / Health: Being an impossible thing I'd have more than a little trouble with medical care. My blood would be draconic and not even by inborn trait, but caused by the living gem being a draconic symbiont. Not sure what dragon blood is immune/susceptible to. I'd just have to hope that running some tests at a... unique cases hospital would get some results and without people sending me off to scientists to be made a test subject. I won't even begin to consider the cost of such tests. Other than that I might have to just go to vet for the caracal-related aspects. So how would I "take care" of the gem even? I dunno. I'd assume just eating right and staying healthy would also benefit the gem. My diet would change to match a feline predator's typical diet. Not sure if the gem could communicate with me, but if it could that'd fill in some gaps. I'd also assume having draconic blood would increase my longevity by hrmm, two or three hundred years which I've considered living longer than others and I am one of the few that would actually be okay with it.

Job: I think I'd still be fine as a massage therapist if anyone would still go to me and not freak out. I'd just have to pay attention to my claws and how they extend so I don't accidentally cut anyone. I might have to play an angle and offer my services as an rarity to the rich... I'd make more money then. Either that or I'd have to be like Edward Scissorhands; someone slowly introduced to a small area and then appreciated for his good work (then eventually chased away for being misunderstood.) Yes, I am an awesome massage therapist. Otherwise, artist and author should be unchanged as neither require to be a prominent social presence to put out my work. The publisher/art galleries would still do their part and the rest would be online. Just no book signings or interviews which doesn't bother me at all.

Family / Friends: There'd be shock and odd reactions for a little bit, but, surprisingly enough, I think most of my family would still accept me for what I've become because I'd still be me just with a different appearance. They'd probably help me deal with some of the repercussions. Same with my good friends as well. I choose my friends wisely. A few of my friends and family would actually be overly excited and ask me if they could change too, and no, they are not furries.

EDIT: I did a lot of musing. Whoops.

Last edited:
Repercussions of being my anthro?

Absolutly none.

Id roll with it no problems what so ever. If I had that button everyone talks about turning themselves into their sona', I would press it without even a thought. I'm a hermit anyways so I really wouldn't give 2 shits. I'm mostly out and night and I wouldn't be retarded enough to go out and be "look at me imma bat!!". So all in all, furries. Fur. Fuzzy.

YIFF

How would you make money or get food?

Distorted

I feel like people would react like they did in the X-Men movies.

And personally, I would knock everything over with my tail. I would get fur everywhere. I'd probably tear up furniture if I didn't clip my nails....claws....whatever. It would be wierd. Would I have to go out with someone of my own species, another anthro, or could I be with a human? I've no idea.