• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Request for FA Staff

Should Colorath have his Ops status revoked?

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Arshes Nei

Masticates in Public
This is a request to ask the staff to please remove Colorath from Operator status on the Furaffinity channel, in addition I do believe an apology should be delivered by him for his behavior.

Xax

I would second this motion: the banning of everyone he doesn't like does tend to get kind of vexing.

facek

You know Communist Russia silenced people they didn't like, i'm pretty sure if there were furries then they would have killed them too.

nobuyuki

I voted yes way back when he first got his oper status, perhaps he has his moments of lucidity but letting him keep his op status is like giving a 5 year old emo kid a gun and expecting him to go to school with it every day and never shoot anyone.

Xax

irc.furnet.org #furaffinity

(editing this because I feel like adding something on-topic)

My issue with Calorath is that he spends most of his time not in #furaffinity, but then when he deigns to join us he generally says that whatever conversation going on at the time is off-topic/offensive/trolling and then proceeds to ban anyone involved or anyone who objects.

He sez we are scaring off the community of furries with our evil hacker talk or whatever, but: the only conversations /in/ #furaffinity that don't peter out awkwardly are the ones about the site itself, and generally the people involved in those conversations are us evil hackers. And, as much as I'm sure Calorath would like it otherwise, we are an important facet of the Amazing Furaffinity Community.

While I am sure he would like it if the channel was nothing but vexing "/me cuddlesnugs" messages and soft-RP, uh... it's not. And randomly banning people who dare take the conversation in natural directions will not fix the problem, it will just further alienate parts of the community and turn the channel into a quiet boring place where no one ever talks.

THE END

Thaily

I voted no for three reasons.

* Most people who you're asking to vote are unaware of Calorath's "behaviour".
* I saw the log and all I saw was Calorath banning some people who were being annoying in-channel, that's what ops are supposed to do. The people now crying for his blood are the people who were being a pain.
* This isn't a democracy. I have no particular love for Calorath but FA's users can't "vote out" an op or admin the moment they feel slighted by that person.

Go back to watching Americal Idols you whiny pussies. :)

Why can't we ban people who've tried to hack the site repeatedly and ruin it for everyone else?

Hanazawa

Would Like To Play a Game
My other problem with Calorath:

When asked why someone was banned, rather than saying "they were trolling" or whatever, he just says "I felt like it". Even a weak or incorrect explanation is better than "I FELT LIKE IT".

When people in any kind of power do things "because they feel like it", they need to not have those powers.

nobuyuki

Thaily: As towards your third point, don't be thick. A community reserves the right to petition the administration for such things always. Admins don't have to listen, but they often do because exactly WHAT is a community site with no community?

Also, I don't personally have to make a bunch of points as to what the job of an operator is, even though I could, and I'd consider myself an authority on the matter (being an irc op on this channel way back when -- though I am not super fond to keep bringing this up it seems I have to more and more). Calorath's behavior can be easily made apparant with the reposting of the appropriate logs.

kitetsu

pissy esoteric
Thaily said:
Why can't we ban people who've tried to hack the site repeatedly and ruin it for everyone else?

Because we're not God; having the perfect sense of judgement.

dave hyena

A wonderous moorhen
I would like to see some evidence of his behavior.

If for example he was banning people who were all "Lol furries internet serious buisiness" and harassing other people and making them uncomfortable thereby (as such people are wont to) then that is his duty.

However if, like Henry I, he was being a veritable tyrant and evidence can be produced then I shall have no hesitation in adding my voice to those demanding that people are only banned after due process and after a trial by their peers.

Litre

Dave Hyena said:

If for example he was banning people who were all "Lol furries internet serious buisiness" and harassing other people and making them uncomfortable thereby (as such people are wont to) then that is his duty.

However if, like Henry I, he was being a veritable tyrant and evidence can be produced then I shall have no hesitation in adding my voice to those demanding that people are only banned after due process and after a trial by their peers.

http://absolute-zero0.tripod.com/Miscellaneous/Fapowercock2.txt

Thaily

kitetsu said:
Because we're not God; having the perfect sense of judgement.

You're precious, can I keep you?
In a jar? And shake it? Or has someone beat me to it?

You don't need to be a divine power to realize that hacking a site and screwing over an entire community because of sour grapes is a bad thing.

Litre said:

Nice editing, you should write movie scripts.

Here's the unedited log however: http://www.furnation.com/WhiteLion/Evidence/Whining.txt

Tensik

RE:   Request for FA Staff

Litre said:
Dave Hyena said:

Thank you, Litre.

I'd just like to point out that I've been seeing a disturbing trend of things like this . . . people who the staff like can horse around and put folks down all the time, or do things that common sense would say would be completely against anything that the site or admins would stand for, but if people that don't kiss up get goofy or do something out of line the stick comes down hard and often without good reason or in the most ridiculous way possible (forum titles, anyone?). Or worse, if they are just plain new they are ignored or not treated with any kind of respect and people get away with it. And it's been getting worse in the past few weeks.

I think the entire staff has to have a good sit-down and rehash over community management, because while I know you've got other site things on the plate it looks like it's tanking hard.

Xax

I have removed some lines that have nothing to do with the current debate, I have also removed some lines that do have something to do with the current debate but don't really have a lot of impact-- does anyone really want to read through 10 minutes of nick changes &c?

(EDIT: oh right, and all the quotes are from Thaily's logfile. Feel free to CTRL+F them for additional context: there was a lot of talk and I (gasp) trimmed out some of the unimportant lines)

[02:31] <Pico> so why was he banned exactly
[02:31] <Calorath> cause i dun like him
[02:31] <Calorath> wanna be next?
[02:31] <Pico> good ops here :eek:)
[02:31] <Calorath> yup
[02:31] <Aure> oooh, power trip
[02:31] <Aure> that's not fair :)
[02:31] <Calorath> nahh it isn't
[02:31] <Aure> shame life doesn't work like that!
[02:31] <Calorath> go find someone who cares though
(there is a long period where lots of people add carets to their nicks and Calorath tells them to stop. This apparently culminates with him setting +m, and:)
[02:48] * Calorath sets mode: -vvv ^Pico^ ^NullEnigma^ ^Aotommo^
[02:48] <Calorath> let some other people talk for a while
[02:48] <Calorath> I for one am tired of the drivel
[02:48] <^Aure^> if they wanted to talk, they'd talk
[02:48] <^Aure^> Oho
[02:48] <^Arch^> Lol
[02:49] <^Aure^> an irc channel is for talking
[02:49] <geemo> t
[02:49] * Marthaen sets mode: -v ^Aure^
[02:49] <geemo> t for tolerance
[02:49] <geemo> t
[02:49] <^Arch^> t >:[
[02:49] <geemo> for time to get out of town
[02:49] * Marthaen sets mode: -v ^Arch^
[02:49] * ^Aure^ is now known as tutut
[02:49] <Calorath> I think a lot more people would talk in here if you tools weren't yammering
[02:49] * tutut is now known as SHAME
[02:49] <Calorath> if you start /nick chaning too, it'll be a ban
[02:49] * Marthaen sets mode: +b *!*@FUR-5B293A3D.houston.res.rr.com
[02:49] <Calorath> and good luck finding someone who cares
[02:50] * SHAME was kicked by Marthaen (Marthaen)
[02:50] * ^Aotommo^ is now known as AoToMmO
[02:51] * Calorath sets mode: +b *!*Aotommo@*.sc.res.rr.com
[02:51] * AoToMmO was kicked by Calorath (Come back when you've finally learned not to be lame)
[...]
[03:23] <lellow> And silence falls again.
[03:23] <Calorath> It's a good cahnge of pace
[03:24] <Hanazawa> If this channel goes quiet it's just like every other IRC channel ever D:
[03:25] <Calorath> I think a bit of quiet time would do this place some doog
[03:25] <Calorath> err good
[03:25] <lellow> I guess it's healthy for a chatroom to go up and down like that.
[03:28] * ^Pico^ is now known as doog
[03:28] * Calorath sets mode: +b *!*fgt@*.hlrn.qwest.net
[03:28] * doog was kicked by Calorath (Thanks for the reason!)
[03:29] <Quofalcon> You just kicked Pico, I think.
[03:29] <Quofalcon> The question is, why.
[03:29] <Calorath> cause i felt like it
[03:30] <geemo> What is the purpose of this channel?
[03:31] <Nullenigma> I thought it was to talk with your friends and hang out
[03:31] <Calorath> nahh
(there is a long period in which there is generic conversation. Eventually:)
[05:17] <NullEnigma> http://www.furaffinityforums.net/showthread.php?tid=787 hay what's this
[05:18] <Calorath> It's a good thing I'm just a channel op eh?
[05:18] * elementseven is now known as doog
[05:19] * Calorath sets mode: +b *!*lementsev@*.158.132.70.Dial1.Chicago1.Level3.net
[05:19] * doog was kicked by Calorath (doog)
[05:19] <Duo> and why is doog kicked?
[05:19] <Duo> and B&
[05:19] <NullEnigma> because its name was doog
[05:19] <Schizo_Wolf> What the fuck is going on here? :[
[05:19] <Calorath> cause I said so
[05:19] <Calorath> :)
[05:19] <Duo> :(!
[05:19] <Calorath> I know
[05:19] * doog_ (daleb@FUR-ECEA022B.cfl.res.rr.com) has joined #furaffinity
[05:20] * Calorath sets mode: +b *!*daleb@*.cfl.res.rr.com
[05:20] * doog_ was kicked by Calorath (Pimp your brain)
[05:20] * doog_ (ferian@FUR-ECEA022B.cfl.res.rr.com) has joined #furaffinity
[05:21] * Calorath sets mode: -b+b *!*daleb@*.cfl.res.rr.com *!*@*.cfl.res.rr.com
[05:21] * doog_ was kicked by Calorath (Ladies and Gentlemen - may I present: King Op)
[05:21] * Marthaen sets mode: -b *!*@*.cfl.res.rr.com
[05:21] * Marthaen sets mode: +b *doog*!*@*
[05:24] * d_oog (piano@FUR-70F813E7.fanarchive.net) has joined #furaffinity

[05:24] <Kitetsu> here's what i have to say: I'M GOING TO HIDE IN MY BUNKER NOW.
[05:24] <Kitetsu> actually i'm not gonna comment. I still am upset that more drama is affecting my work pace, however.
[05:25] <nikuramon> omfg, drama?!
[05:25] <nikuramon> Kitetsu: where?
[05:25] <Calorath> and they wonder why I ban them?
[05:26] <Kitetsu> niku: in pinkuh's jhournal
[05:26] <nikuramon> oh
[05:26] * Calorath sets mode: +b *!*kitsune@*.bendcable.com
[05:26] * NullEnigma was kicked by Calorath (cause I Said so)
[05:26] <nikuramon> THE WORLD NEEDS A HERO, CHIEF
[05:27] * Calorath sets mode: +b *!*nikuramon@*.abhsia.telus.net
[05:27] * nikuramon was kicked by Calorath (Cya later - much later)
[05:27] <Calorath> No I think I'll be very clear now
[05:27] <Calorath> since I thought most of you were able to figure it out for yourselves
[05:27] <Calorath> the trolling that takes place in this channel will cease
[05:27] <Duo> that is trolling?
[05:27] <Duo> looked to me like friends talking
[05:28] <Calorath> Duo, as you said, you don't know what's going on
[05:28] <Calorath> And it is not up for debate
[05:28] <Duo> your right i dont
[05:28] <Duo> grand
[05:28] <Calorath> debate iritates me
[05:28] <Calorath> irritation leads to bans
[05:28] * Calorath sets mode: +b *!*piano@*.fanarchive.net
[05:28] * d_oog was kicked by Calorath (got that for your logfiles?)
[05:29] <cynic> This channel would be pretty dead without this 'trolling' you speak of :p
[05:30] <Calorath> cynic, want to bet?
[05:30] * ^__^ is now known as asdkjfa3673423
[05:30] * Calorath sets mode: +b *!*furre@*.dhcp.mtgm.al.charter.com
[05:30] * asdkjfa3673423 was kicked by Calorath (#lamers is a better place for you)
[05:30] * d_oo_g (piano@FUR-9B18570D.com) has joined #furaffinity
[05:31] <cynic> lol, internet bet
[05:31] <cynic> wow, that series of part, highlight, mode change and stuff made a rainbow in my color scheme. haha
[05:32] * Calorath sets mode: +R
[05:32] * Marthaen sets mode: +b *!*@FUR-9B18570D.com
[05:32] * d_oo_g was kicked by Marthaen (Ban evasion)
ETC ETC AND SO ON AND SO FORTH AD NAUSIUM

So, uh, why would anyone try to defend Calorath for his actions? He says he's banning people because he doesn't like them, he bans people for NICK CHANGES, he admits what he's doing isn't fair, he says there is no debating TEH OPS... why is someone like this in a position of authority over the FA community?

He's not really a member of the FA IRC community: all the conversations depicted in the log (yes, even the boring ones I left out and yes, even the ones where (gasp) other members of the channel are mocked) are fairly standard fare for the channel. No one, excepting him, seems to care a whole lot. There are idlers and there are people who talk, and the people who talk are primarily of the sort that Calorath does not approve of. When the regulars don't talk, there are not (as some seem to think) conversations about how the evil trolls intimidate them and how they are afraid to conversate. There is just silence and a lot of join/parts.

"The Lurkers Support Me In Email" is a really stupid argument tactic and Calorath doesn't even claim that: He simply assumes there are sad oppressed furries keeping silent because our talking somehow oppresses them. If they have problems with the way the channel conversation goes, then they should /involve themselves/ in the conversation.

It seems to me he's used to other kinds of IRC channels (I'm thinking mostly #maleyiff here) and he's trying to fit #furaffinity to the same ruleset. It's a move that is doomed to failure because #furaffinity is a channel with established regulars who have been around for ages (for one, ME) who do not truck with his op actions.

So, uh, why does he have ops anyway? I just remember him appearing out of the blue one day and banning people he doesn't like.

All Seeing Eye

he says there is no debating TEH OPS

Authority is authority. If authority isn't suited for his function is up to his superiors to take action.

He's not really a member of the FA IRC community

Define: FA IRC community.

No one, excepting him, seems to care a whole lot

Others might not have the courage to say things out loud. He has OP status, thus he may have felt more confident.

When the regulars don't talk

Define: Regulars

He simply assumes there are sad oppressed furries keeping silent because our talking somehow oppresses them

Proof of such assumption is not found. Assuming an assumption is rarely accurate.

It seems to me he's used to other kinds of IRC channels (I'm thinking mostly #maleyiff here) and he's trying to fit #furaffinity to the same ruleset.

FA is not your channel. He can define the rules as he wants.

It's a move that is doomed to failure because #furaffinity is a channel with established regulars who have been around for ages (for one, ME) who do not truck with his op actions.

IRC is not a democracy. Either you accept the way things are done or leave.

dave hyena

A wonderous moorhen
RE:    Request for FA Staff

It seems to me that that there is a *very* small clique of *very* vocal people who enjoy being obnoxious and actively going out of their way to provoke others.

Through these actions they have turned the IRC channel into a festering pit of their own drama which naturally deters other people from using it, and wherever they go they try to spread this drama.

Some of these people can and do make the occasional observation or suggestion that is positive and constructive.

However they spend the vast majority of their time fellating each other because one of them repeated a catchphrase and attemping to provoke other people.

It seems to me that in this thread and the IRC logs, the majority of the people who appear to be complaining about calorath, are drama llamas who whine and whine about leaving FA or how bad it is but never actually leave it because that would lessen their opportunities for whining and drama making.

It's the same wanky thing that happens a thousand times a day, all over the internet.

I think we should be very careful in situations like this because a tiny minority of very vocal people can make it seem like there is more support for an action than there really is.

We must be calm and considered and ignore any drama-mongers.

Hanazawa

Would Like To Play a Game
I maintain that if there is a valid reason for banning someone, it should be explained; "I felt like it" is not a valid reason, and Calorath should at the very least apologize for acting that way.

It's not rocket science to explain why you've banned someone, and if "I felt like it" is all you have, you shouldn't have banned them in the first place.

Did it ever occur to you, Dave, that some people whine about FA without actually leaving because they would LIKE it to turn out halfway decent? Or do you support all those spineless simps who threaten to move to Canada if their candidate of choice doesn't become the US President?

Hahahaha, that log file is actually hilarious.

The fact that Calorath just can ban someone for the use of the word doog is turning FA into another of preyfars most hated lol fests.

How the heck did Calorath land ops anyway, who did he have to screw?

I mean seriously guys, it's making the entire FA team look stupid, back to the bad old days of Froyst. (iirc the nick right.)
It makes Jheryn/Alkora look stupid.
It makes the sites profile look stupid.
And it makes Preyfar/Dragoneer look downright cretinous for tolerating an admin like that, after he's repeatedly ranted about Arcturus's immature behaviour.

Shame on you, the admins.

KurtBatz

RE:     Request for FA Staff

Dave Hyena said:
It seems to me that that there is a *very* small clique of *very* vocal people who enjoy being obnoxious and actively going out of their way to provoke others.

Through these actions they have turned the IRC channel into a festering pit of their own drama which naturally deters other people from using it, and wherever they go they try to spread this drama.

Some of these people can and do make the occasional observation or suggestion that is positive and constructive.

However they spend the vast majority of their time fellating each other because one of them repeated a catchphrase and attemping to provoke other people.

It seems to me that in this thread and the IRC logs, the majority of the people who appear to be complaining about calorath, are drama llamas who whine and whine about leaving FA or how bad it is but never actually leave it because that would lessen their opportunities for whining and drama making.

It's the same wanky thing that happens a thousand times a day, all over the internet.

I think we should be very careful in situations like this because a tiny minority of very vocal people can make it seem like there is more support for an action than there really is.

We must be calm and considered and ignore any drama-mongers.

BRAVO! Well said.

I was so incensed by the attack on Calorath here, I actually signed up to FA to offer my voice on this.

I looked through the ENTIRE, unedited log. All I see are a bunch of troublemakers - flaming, bitching and generally being abusive and an op taking actions to try and reign in the trolling.

So WHAT if Calorath made a flippant comment about not liking one of the individuals? That was nothing more than a throwaway remark. I can see why he made the bans and I'd have done the same at the drop of a hat.

The admin of furaffinity are some of the very nicest people I've met. Everyone in that channel welcomed me and were wonderful to me. Nicest bunch of admins I've seen.

All I see through dint of this log is an administrator under attack for trying to put a stop to abusive infantile attacks. Get a life!

KurtBatz

RE:  Request for FA Staff

Hanazawa said:
I maintain that if there is a valid reason for banning someone, it should be explained; "I felt like it" is not a valid reason, and Calorath should at the very least apologize for acting that way.

Actually, it was a jokey, flippant throwaway remark. The real reason the individual was banned was for being a nasty, snide abusive little oik. The only thing Calorath is guilty of is of having a sense of humour. :roll:  I just can't believe people are so anally retentive as to take a jokey comment like that seriously when the ENTIREITY of the log is there for all to see. Deary, deary me.

Captain Pedantic, to the rescue!

KurtBatz

RE:     Request for FA Staff

Dave Hyena said:

Hey Dave. If you're going to say something sensible and well thought out at least vote the same way as your convictions, huh?

First you berate the whiny vocal minority...then you vote the same way as them. The poll results are public. Despite the fact this pathetic flamebait 'poll has about as much weight and impact as someone taking a feather duster to the kneecaps, it does contradict what you're saying rather spectacularly.

Status
Not open for further replies.