• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Main Site Request to add new species in search category filter

DeclanHaselhurst

Autistic user
On the advanced search panel in the image results, there are no selections for elephants, buffalo or tapir art in the "Species" list. Can those species be added in the above list (i.e. "Species" in Advanced Search filters)?

Stratelier

I think searching with keywords is perhaps more useful; do you already do this?
One problem with this is how the Search engine (almost necessarily) treats keywords like passwords, in that only exact matches count.

For example, say you're searching for gryphon art on FA:
- There are currently about 120k search results

BUT, if you break it down by actual search query:
- 34k results for "griffin"
- 20k results for "griffon"
- 96k results for "gryphon" (the "official" spelling, i.e. as used in the Species listbox)

Furthermore, once you start doing some math:
- 6k use all three spellings (i.e. always found in search results)
- 20k use only two spellings (65% omit "griffon"; 30% omit "griffin"; 4% omit "gryphon")
- 93k use only ONE spelling (76% use "gryphon"; 15% use "griffin"; 8% use "griffon")

Conclusion? a huge majority of artwork will ONLY appear in the search results if you get the spelling exactly as submitted (but fortunately, it's also clear which spelling is most popular).

And this isn't even considering singular vs. plurals, e.g. "gryphon" vs. "gryphons" which return slightly different results, OR the nickname "gryph" which can itself be singular or plural...

Last edited:

Fallowfox

Are we moomin, or are we dancer?
One problem with this is how the Search engine (almost necessarily) treats keywords like passwords, in that only exact matches count.

For example, say you're searching for gryphon art on FA:
- There are currently about 120k search results

BUT, if you break it down by actual search query:
- 34k results for "griffin"
- 20k results for "griffon"
- 96k results for "gryphon" (the "official" spelling, i.e. as used in the Species listbox)

Furthermore, once you start doing some math:
- 6k use all three spellings (i.e. always found in search results)
- 20k use ONLY two spellings (65% omit "griffon"; 30% omit "griffin"; 4% omit "gryphon")
- 93k use only ONE spelling (76% use "gryphon"; 15% use "griffin"; 8% use "griffon")

Conclusion? a huge majority of artwork will ONLY appear in the search results if you get the spelling exactly as submitted (but fortunately, it's also clear which spelling is most popular).

And this isn't even considering singular vs. plurals, e.g. "gryphon" vs. "gryphons" which return slightly different results, OR the nickname "gryph" which can itself be singular or plural...

Yeah I use permutations of the queries I am interested in, to make sure I find all the art I want to.