• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Resident Evil

Kaizy

Emotional Mess
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/resident-evil-2-remake-confirmed/1100-6429698/

So an RE2 remake has finally been approved for development.
I'm incredibly hyped for RE2 to finally get a remake on par with the RE1 remake from Gamecube. Though I'm only hearing "console" currently, so I'm really hoping for a PC port.

Since this was brought up (and I didn't see any recent Resident Evil threads), I figured making an RE thread would be cool to discuss the series, it's ups and downs, ect.

FrostHusky81

The Mercenary
I still think RE4 is the best one I've played so far. It always had me on edge throughout the entire game.

Luca

Lined my brain with more eyes
I'm excited, but they don't have all my faith. Shinji Mikami is no longer working at Capcom, Hydeki Kamiya's been gone from Capcom for years. How many members of the original RE2 team could still be around Capcom nowadays? They have the guys who ported REmake, but are they good enough to live up to the standards of one of the best remakes and games I've even played?

Revelations 2 was one of the better Resident Evil games to come out in a long time. With a little more refinement and effort they could be back on a good groove. I don't know if any of the devs over at Cap know what made RE2 so great in the first place.

Last edited:

Kaizy

Emotional Mess
I'm excited, but they don't have all my faith. Shinji Mikami is no longer working at Capcom, Hydeki Kamiya's been gone from Capcom for years. How many members of the original RE2 team could still be around Capcom nowadays? They have the guys who ported REmake, but are they good enough to live up to the standards of one of the best remakes and games I've even played?

Revelations 2 was one of the better Resident Evil games to come out in a long time. With a little more refinement and effort they could be back on a good groove. I don't know if any of the devs over at Cap know what made RE2 so great in the first place.
I've been meaning to check out the Revelation games, I have heard they're not too bad.

Luca

I've been meaning to check out the Revelation games, I have heard they're not too bad.

Revelations 1 is alright, the story is dumb even for modern RE. Luckily you don't need to play it to play Revelations 2, feat. Barry and his hipster daughter!

Kaizy

Emotional Mess
I still think RE4 is the best one I've played so far. It always had me on edge throughout the entire game.

RE4 was pretty solid, and a lot of people still consider it the best of the series.
I loved it too, it was great. I had never played through a game so many times.

My personal favorite will always be RE2 though, just because it was a big part of my childhood.

Can't beat the first.

So true. I remember when I got my hands on the remake, I was so happy to get a chance to play through such a classic.
I'm glad it didn't go all Silent Hill HD on us.

Revelations 1 is alright, the story is dumb even for modern RE. Luckily you don't need to play it to play Revelations 2, feat. Barry and his hipster daughter!

Barry's back huh? Nice.
Might try to buy it if it goes on sale during the Steam Halloween Sale.

GarthTheWereWolf

Captious Lycanthrope of Forum Legend
REmake was by far the scariest of the series. Hopefully they make the RE2 remake like it~ But damn the Resident Evil Outbreak games were by far the most fun. I miss playing that online with people...

Croconaw

#1 Most Requested Croconaw
I think they lost it after 4.

Still, if they can keep it true to the roots on this one, I don't see how it won't be a solid title.

Kaizy

Emotional Mess
REmake was by far the scariest of the series. Hopefully they make the RE2 remake like it~ But damn the Resident Evil Outbreak games were by far the most fun. I miss playing that online with people...

If the RE2 remake is given the same amount of work the RE1 one was, then it's going to be everything RE fans have waited for. I'm really excited to start seeing some development on it.

I had always heard great things about Outbreak, mostly that it was ahead of it's time.
Honestly, if they resurrected Outbreak with today's online capabilities, it would probably be one of the best RE games ever.

Still, if they can keep it true to the roots on this one, I don't see how it won't be a solid title.

It goes without saying that it all went downhill after RE4. I mean, RE5 was a mess, basically played more like Gears of War than an RE title, and I heard RE6 was less awful but the remnants of RE5 still lurked pretty heavily.

Fernin

6150 rpm and spinning.
The REmake supplanted RE2 as the best game in the series when it came out, and the recent rerelease of the REmake with the improved controls has only made it better. If they bring RE2 forward with the same style and dedication then it will easily retake its crown as the top Resident Evil.

FrostHusky81

The Mercenary

Nah, they really lost it when they decided to make Operation Racoon city.

Erzyal

Keeper of useless information
Every one after 4 was made was kinda awful. The 5th had its moments but focused too much on action instead of survival horror. The 6th (whose logo looks like a giraffe getting a blowjob) was just terrible. Op raccoon city was their attempt to mess up the history of the series so the new games didn't look so bad by comparison.

Soul-Wolf

Banned
Banned
Games like Operation Raccoon City, Outbreak, a lot of the spinoff games I don't think should ever really be held against the main series because they were never really intended to ever test ideas for the main series as much as ideas they didn't want to risk trying without some IP to theoretically generate some guaranteed sales, if not a lot. It actually worked pretty well for ORC and the first Outbreak at least, sales wise, so sorry but there is a method to some of their madness.

I say some because nothing justifies the travesty that was Resident Evil 6. Now, let me make you understand this right now, I don't lament Resident Evil 6 the game, even though looking back I do see a lot of wasted potential there from a creative standpoint but technically I have few real complaints and my beef comes with mostly the way they botched the release, the promotion, the DLC shit and how they even fucked that up for a lot of customers, didn't even release the complete game at first because let's face it, it was a barely playable game until some of those issues were patched. But most of all the real tragedy is the sheer amount of money wasted on that mess. It's like Waterworld to gaming.

Resident Evil 2 remake, about damn time, and here's praying hard they don't fuck it up because honestly, neither that series or that company can take much more at this point, let's be honest about the situation.

Erzyal

Keeper of useless information
Now hang on Frosty, I kinda liked the outbreak games. What was wrong with them?

Soul-Wolf

Banned
Banned
Now hang on Frosty, I kinda liked the outbreak games. What was wrong with them?

the fact hardly anyone could actually play online
the fact single player was virtually unplayable
the fact you needed a hard drive to get the best experience
the fact that even then load times were way too long
the fact you had to play online forever to unlock anything
the fact the sequel was so fucking gimmicky compared to the first which was kind of fresh and gritty
the fact the game worked better as an idea than an actual game
Just the facts, ma'am.

Enigmaticat

Oh Boy!
I love all the Resident Evils. Even the bad ones. They had redeeming qualities to them, its just after
Albert Wesker
died they didnt have a good villian anymore.

One is a classic that is supposed to be a cheesy B-rate horror and it works. The puzzles are fun and it has tons of replay.

Two is my favorite! Due to the story, Leon being my favorite character and the way you had to manage items with Claire.

Nemesis... I mean its Jill fighting a giant tentacle monster. 'Nuff said.

4. No need to explain its awesomeness.

5, the best story so far, in my opinion. It strays from the survival horror but to me it felt like an action movie and co-op was awesome!

6 was really hated. Yeah it was probably one of the weakest but the dodging mechanic was amazing. I loved diving, rolling and weaving between enemies and the gunplay was smooth. The story was half A**ed and centered too much around Ada but it wasnt as bad as everyone makes it out to be.

Veronica, another classic. To me one of the harder ones do to the mutant-hunters on the isle.

Umbrella Chronicles and Darkside Chronicles. The cliffnotes version of all the games. Simple, sweet and satisfying to play co-op. (Wii version)

Operation Racoon City, very ambitious. I didnt care for the DLC for the other half of the game. The variety of characters were nice but finding people to play with was hard. Probably my least favorite so far.

I didnt play Outbreak, Gaiden or the light gun shooter one. But I've heard nothing but negative things about them so I figure I didn't miss out.

Luca

I don't think resident evil was ever really scary until REmake came out. It actually added a thicker layer of horror that the series never had before then. 4 is not a super frightening game either, but it certainly has some moments. All the freight you would get in RE1,2,3,CVX came from the tension of losing progress. That's why Nemesis s so effective. He's incredibly hard to kill without dying and trying is putting you invested time at risk.

GarthTheWereWolf

Captious Lycanthrope of Forum Legend
the fact hardly anyone could actually play online
the fact single player was virtually unplayable
the fact you needed a hard drive to get the best experience
the fact that even then load times were way too long
the fact you had to play online forever to unlock anything
the fact the sequel was so fucking gimmicky compared to the first which was kind of fresh and gritty
the fact the game worked better as an idea than an actual game
Just the facts, ma'am.

Da fuq?

It was a pity that it came out on the ps2 instead of the xbox at the time~ but I played outbreak online for years and never lacked people to play it with. Load times did suck but not enough to effect the fun of the game. The unlocks were just costumes... so it didn't remove any of the fun by making them take effort to get. Its pretty much just hats from TF2. And I don't know what you're talking about with the sequel. It played exactly like the first game. It was more like an expansion pack with extra levels than a true sequel.

And that zoo level from the second game... that's a scary level concept... Going through a zoo with zombie animals that got loose at night is really fresh and creepy.

Enigmaticat

Oh Boy!
I don't think resident evil was ever really scary until REmake came out. It actually added a thicker layer of horror that the series never had before then. 4 is not a super frightening game either, but it certainly has some moments. All the freight you would get in RE1,2,3,CVX came from the tension of losing progress. That's why Nemesis s so effective. He's incredibly hard to kill without dying and trying is putting you invested time at risk.

When I was 10 years old playing Resident Evil 1, that first zombie turning his head scared the crap out of me. Also clearing all the zombies in the mansion for the first time just to have hunters take over pissed me off. >_> Wasted all my ammo....

Kaizy

Emotional Mess
Da fuq?

It was a pity that it came out on the ps2 instead of the xbox at the time~ but I played outbreak online for years and never lacked people to play it with. Load times did suck but not enough to effect the fun of the game. The unlocks were just costumes... so it didn't remove any of the fun by making them take effort to get. Its pretty much just hats from TF2. And I don't know what you're talking about with the sequel. It played exactly like the first game. It was more like an expansion pack with extra levels than a true sequel.

And that zoo level from the second game... that's a scary level concept... Going through a zoo with zombie animals that got loose at night is really fresh and creepy.

I've talked about it a lot, but if that game's concept were to be turned into a new RE installment with today's game technology, it would be phenomenal.

I love all the Resident Evils. Even the bad ones. They had redeeming qualities to them, its just after
Albert Wesker
died they didnt have a good villian anymore.

One is a classic that is supposed to be a cheesy B-rate horror and it works. The puzzles are fun and it has tons of replay.

Two is my favorite! Due to the story, Leon being my favorite character and the way you had to manage items with Claire.

Nemesis... I mean its Jill fighting a giant tentacle monster. 'Nuff said.

4. No need to explain its awesomeness.

5, the best story so far, in my opinion. It strays from the survival horror but to me it felt like an action movie and co-op was awesome!

6 was really hated. Yeah it was probably one of the weakest but the dodging mechanic was amazing. I loved diving, rolling and weaving between enemies and the gunplay was smooth. The story was half A**ed and centered too much around Ada but it wasnt as bad as everyone makes it out to be.

Veronica, another classic. To me one of the harder ones do to the mutant-hunters on the isle.

Umbrella Chronicles and Darkside Chronicles. The cliffnotes version of all the games. Simple, sweet and satisfying to play co-op. (Wii version)

Operation Racoon City, very ambitious. I didnt care for the DLC for the other half of the game. The variety of characters were nice but finding people to play with was hard. Probably my least favorite so far.

I didnt play Outbreak, Gaiden or the light gun shooter one. But I've heard nothing but negative things about them so I figure I didn't miss out.

For me, #1-4 and RE0 were pretty much perfect, good classic survival horror, and memorable characters/enemies.

I didn't get to play through Code Veronica, but I heard it was ridiculous even by RE standards, so hopefully I'll get a chance to play it.

RE5 is what I consider to be the worst installment in the franchise (not including the spin-offs/side games). The dramatic shift from survival horror to ridiculous action really killed it for me, having grown up with all the old games and then revisiting the series with RE4. I disliked the forced partner/co-op mechanic, I didn't care for any of the characters, I've disliked the gradual change Wesker has gone through throughout the series into this weird unstoppable superhuman (with bullet-dodging skills, super strength, ect.), and just overall the game just started feeling really stale after a while.

Because of how RE5 treated me and what I heard about RE6, I didn't buy it, but I got a chance to play part of Leon's campaign, which wasn't too bad. Though I knew I'd probably only enjoy Leon's part of the game if any, so I'm not going to buy the game unless Steam suddenly drops it to like $10 during a sale.

I've barely played any of the spin-offs. I played Umbrella Chronicles, which plays like any other rail-shooter that I can recall.

Enigmaticat

Oh Boy!
I've talked about it a lot, but if that game's concept were to be turned into a new RE installment with today's game technology, it would be phenomenal.

For me, #1-4 and RE0 were pretty much perfect, good classic survival horror, and memorable characters/enemies.

I didn't get to play through Code Veronica, but I heard it was ridiculous even by RE standards, so hopefully I'll get a chance to play it.

RE5 is what I consider to be the worst installment in the franchise (not including the spin-offs/side games). The dramatic shift from survival horror to ridiculous action really killed it for me, having grown up with all the old games and then revisiting the series with RE4. I disliked the forced partner/co-op mechanic, I didn't care for any of the characters, I've disliked the gradual change Wesker has gone through throughout the series into this weird unstoppable superhuman (with bullet-dodging skills, super strength, ect.), and just overall the game just started feeling really stale after a while.

Because of how RE5 treated me and what I heard about RE6, I didn't buy it, but I got a chance to play part of Leon's campaign, which wasn't too bad. Though I knew I'd probably only enjoy Leon's part of the game if any, so I'm not going to buy the game unless Steam suddenly drops it to like $10 during a sale.

I've barely played any of the spin-offs. I played Umbrella Chronicles, which plays like any other rail-shooter that I can recall.

How could I forget 0? That was an awesome game and I look forward to that remake too!

Yeah lots of people didnt care for 5 & 6. I dont blame them, it wasnt survival horror anymore with the abundance of money and the capability of buying weapons and ammo. But zombies weren't as fresh and they tried to mix it up which I give them points for.

You should get Veronica! It was originally on the Dreamcast and I believe it is on the last gen online stores. (If you play console)

FrostHusky81

The Mercenary
I found myself wanting to strangle Sheva in RE5 because of how stupid and worthless she was. I've never played a game with such a terrible AI companion before.

Luca

When I was 10 years old playing Resident Evil 1, that first zombie turning his head scared the crap out of me. Also clearing all the zombies in the mansion for the first time just to have hunters take over pissed me off. >_> Wasted all my ammo....

I guess what I was trying to say is that the majority of the fear in those games comes from the threat of the enemies. The monsters themselves are gross but not outright terrifying, and it's how resilient they are that makes you nervous around them. Not to mention you're dealing with managing everything you have to defend yourself and you always have less than you need to kill everything in your way. I only got to watch RE when I was young and sure it scared me then, but nowadays the old games don't really have an unnerving feel to them. When I see RE1, 2 & 3 as an adult I get a bit of nostalgic comfort.

REmake on the other hand is intensely atmospheric. I had it on my Gamecube back in the day and even though I had beaten the original at that point there were several moments I just didn't want to move forward. Even now it gets me at times. The world in that game oozes a feeling of uneasiness whether you can see an enemy in front of you or not. I hope the team they picked can add that new layer of atmosphere to RE2.

Enigmaticat

Oh Boy!
I guess what I was trying to say is that the majority of the fear in those games comes from the threat of the enemies. The monsters themselves are gross but not outright terrifying, and it's how resilient they are that makes you nervous around them. Not to mention you're dealing with managing everything you have to defend yourself and you always have less than you need to kill everything in your way. I only got to watch RE when I was young and sure it scared me then, but nowadays the old games don't really have an unnerving feel to them. When I see RE1, 2 & 3 as an adult I get a bit of nostalgic comfort.

REmake on the other hand is intensely atmospheric. I had it on my Gamecube back in the day and even though I had beaten the original at that point there were several moments I just didn't want to move forward. Even now it gets me at times. The world in that game oozes a feeling of uneasiness whether you can see an enemy in front of you or not. I hope the team they picked can add that new layer of atmosphere to RE2.

True. On another note. I recommend Dead Space 1. Two is good, but its more actiony and three is kinda meh. (unless in co-op)