• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Resident Evil

Kaizy

Emotional Mess
True. On another note. I recommend Dead Space 1. Two is good, but its more actiony and three is kinda meh. (unless in co-op)

I love the Dead Space series to death, but god DS3 was abysmal. EA should have kept their grubby little hands out of the game and let Visceral continue to do it's good work.

Soul-Wolf

Banned
Banned
Da fuq?

It was a pity that it came out on the ps2 instead of the xbox at the time~ but I played outbreak online for years and never lacked people to play it with. Load times did suck but not enough to effect the fun of the game. The unlocks were just costumes... so it didn't remove any of the fun by making them take effort to get. Its pretty much just hats from TF2. And I don't know what you're talking about with the sequel. It played exactly like the first game. It was more like an expansion pack with extra levels than a true sequel.

And that zoo level from the second game... that's a scary level concept... Going through a zoo with zombie animals that got loose at night is really fresh and creepy.

The game had enough of a following, or at least the first one did, that up until the end there were still people playing online, yeah. I've seen some of the epic videos people made of their last nights on the servers. No question it had its appeal and single player at least gives you an idea of what the concept could be, it could only ever be realized online with people who know exactly how to work/communicate around the game's bare bones controls and communication mechanics. I'm sorry, it's just an insufferable pain in the ass on single player and the vast majority of PS2 owners did not own the peripherals necessary to even get the best, if still flawed experience out of Outbreak.

I'm saying that as someone who did milk a lot of enjoyment out of those two games, appreciated how "Resident Evil" the game managed to look despite having to handle 4 playable characters, all their muzzle flares, all these respawning enemies, often times smoke and fire effects that always looked really convincing and the environments were usually really good, in every angle of every level. It did at times feel like you were in a much more realistic Raccoon City in much more "realistic" zombie apocalypse situations than in most other REs. It had a lot going for it, no question.

It was just an incomplete package. It shouldn't have needed two games, and there should have been something tying the disparate levels and episodes together. You can see between the two games hints that this is what they were going for originally and, with like everything else wrong with the game, the tech and/or time just wasn't there to fully realize it.

Outbreak is like RE6 in a way, I do truly like and admire a lot about it but its flaws are glaring and do drag it down. But one thing RE6 did very well I think was do what some of what Outbreak tried to do and better. The scenarios were perfect in some cases and you feel like you're really in a zombie besieged city or building (or series of buildings through said city, the environments seldom disappoint and have a certain grit to them not seen in most RE games) so when you toss in some decent online, when that pans out, you get what Outbreak was kinda trying to deliver which is some short but sweet moments where a sizable chunk of your buddies join the fray in the outbreak, war, boss fight or whatever you're saving yourselves from next. Only it tried to weave that into what's essentially a single-player game with optional co-op, so again, feels like an incomplete attempt.

I loved the idea and would love to see another go at it, I just don't think it was quite ready at the time.

Enigmaticat

Oh Boy!
would you say worse than ubisoft? cuz i can't rly decide on that anymore. they make it kinda hard.

Ubisoft was fine until they had a taste of victory with Assassins Creed and when Splinter Cell became cool again.

Then they got greedy and tried to pump out sequels like Activisions Call of Duty series. It just over saturates the market and no one wants that.

D

Deleted member 82554

I still think RE4 is the best one I've played so far. It always had me on edge throughout the entire game.

The PC port of RE4 is crrraaap. The controller scheme is seriously fucked up, and when you move it's like someone smeared vaseline on the screen. That alone made the game unbearable to play. Plus it was clear that the dev team were attempting to take the franchise in a new direction, turning it into more of an FPS than what made the original so great, a suspense/horror/thriller; fuck I still jump like mad on some scenes.

In my personal opinion the franchise went downhill after the 3rd installment, maybe even the second.

So, it's finally happening. Nice.

I loved REmake. It's my favorite RE so far, even if I do love RE2 and even 3. Here's hoping they do a good job remaking it.

Also, I gotta say I kinda fell off with the series after RE4. RE4 was fun and all, but it didn't really feel like a RE game to me. It had it's moments, but it just didn't have the same atmosphere as the first three. Hopefully, this RE2 remake brings that back.

FrostHusky81

The Mercenary
The PC port of RE4 is crrraaap. The controller scheme is seriously fucked up, and when you move it's like someone smeared vaseline on the screen. That alone made the game unbearable to play. Plus it was clear that the dev team were attempting to take the franchise in a new direction, turning it into more of an FPS than what made the original so great, a suspense/horror/thriller; fuck I still jump like mad on some scenes.

In my personal opinion the franchise went downhill after the 3rd installment, maybe even the second.

I agree with you on behalf of the control scheme, even though I have it on my Gamecube. It ran without any problems for me though, so it was a good experience over all.

Kaizy

Emotional Mess
I found myself wanting to strangle Sheva in RE5 because of how stupid and worthless she was. I've never played a game with such a terrible AI companion before.

You think after the RE4 companion mechanic, they would have just stopped with having an AI companion, but nope. Instead they basically just gave Ashley a gun and bad AI that would use your best herbs to heal your newly stubbed toe.

I'm a pretty firm believer that Resident Evil just doesn't work with partner mechanics where your partner is glued to your side for the entire duration of the game.

Maugryph

would you say worse than ubisoft? cuz i can't rly decide on that anymore. they make it kinda hard.

rly?

Ubisoft didn't win 'Worst Company in America' twice in a row, EA did. Ubi has their work cut out for them to get to EA evil levels.

Ubisoft has Rayman, that has to count for something.

Luca

Lined my brain with more eyes
My opinion on RE5 is out of the majority. I like the game. I like it a lot. It's a fun action shooter with some pretty cool locations. Yes I agree that AI partner was pretty useless at time but I co-op'd that game with a good friend of mine a few times over the years. Even then I still played it enough with the AI to get all the trophies I didn't get on my co-op run. It's one of the only games I've ever gotten Platinum on. It's silly to the point that you can laugh at it, which I'm not all that upset with.

Now RE6 was awful. It was even dumber, the controls felt weird and never got over them, and the game broke on me and my (same as above) friend at several points. Once a progression door refused to load for me and my friend was waiting for me at a brick wall. Regardless how bad that game was, I've never laughed harder while co-oping a game so for that I wasn't competently miserable.

Erzyal

Keeper of useless information
EA is to blame for many things.
Such an awful company.
Winner of the golden poop award how many years in a row?

Enigmaticat

Oh Boy!
You think after the RE4 companion mechanic, they would have just stopped with having an AI companion, but nope. Instead they basically just gave Ashley a gun and bad AI that would use your best herbs to heal your newly stubbed toe.

I'm a pretty firm believer that Resident Evil just doesn't work with partner mechanics where your partner is glued to your side for the entire duration of the game.

I liked didnt mind the partner as long as it was co-op. It was a lot of fun to play with friends. They should have just made it optional.

rly?

Ubisoft didn't win 'Worst Company in America' twice in a row, EA did. Ubi has their work cut out for them to get to EA evil levels.

Ubisoft has Rayman, that has to count for something.

Rayman, really? I mean look at the number of Rayman games. Out of the 40ish games maybe 3 are good? All the rest are GARBAGE. I agree EA is worse but Rayman doesnt count for anything.

Kaizy

Emotional Mess
I liked didnt mind the partner as long as it was co-op. It was a lot of fun to play with friends. They should have just made it optional.

Yeah, the fact that the partner wasn't optional kind of forced you to either play online with people, or come up with methods so she wouldn't waste ammo/health. For RE5, the co-op should have been more like DS3 co-op, where the partner was optional and just kind of altered cutscenes and dialogue depending on if you solo'd or not. DS3 was garbage, but they at least understood "hm, players MAY not want to play with people online all the time".

Schwimmwagen

It's quite interesting how a mere HD re-release of a remake from like 14 years ago (I think?) did so damn well in sales that it's inspired a Resi Zero re-release, and now Resi 2. Then again Capcom fucked up Resi 1's remake by making it a Nintendo exclusive and then acting surprised that its sales suffered due to RE fan's loyalty to the PlayStation despite being the objectively best RE game, and then RE4 being unsurprisngly a bigger seller due to its PS2 and GameCube availability. If Capcom didn't do a retarded exclusivity deal with Nintendo, games could be looking very different right now.

I was also surprised by how great playing RE1 was on PC, even with the old style gameplay. I actually preferred it that way to all my time playing them on console.

Out of excitement I've been playing the old survival horror games, not just Resi. Namely Dino Crisis. IMO Dino Crisis is a better example of a survival horror game than Resident Evil is, shame it's so underrated. Ammo is much more scarce, enemies are much more able and frightening, enemies absorb lots more damage, and they could even move room-to-room. I felt that the puzzles, code-finding, and fetchquesting were all much more elaborate in Dino Crisis. I quite liked the stronger backtracking element in DC. I thought it was a really well-designed scenario.

I found myself more spooked in DC than other horror games despite the lack of proper scares. I feel like survival horror is less about its theme, but more about the persecution and disempowerment of the player, if that makes any sense. Dashing down a well-lit corridoor to escape a single raptor with only four bullets in my pistol and then reflexively slamming the button to turn on the laser fencing to stop the raptor in its tracks just as it jumped at my arse gave me more thrills than dodging zombies did, in a game that gives you just enough shotgun shells to shoot all the necessary zombies you encounter.

If RE0 and RE2 do well, I'm hoping we see a resurrection of classic survival horror, at least in terms of design/intent.

Fernin

6150 rpm and spinning.
Wait, when did they rerelease RE 0? Only the GC REmake has be rereleased, so far as I know.

FrostHusky81

The Mercenary
I'm still confused as to why the hell they added that random Agent dude in RE6 to Ada's campaign. Ada is much too badass for a partner.

Luca

Lined my brain with more eyes
He was put in lame spin off games that killed his character.

Last edited: