• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Resident Evil

Kaizy

Emotional Mess
It's quite interesting how a mere HD re-release of a remake from like 14 years ago (I think?) did so damn well in sales that it's inspired a Resi Zero re-release, and now Resi 2. Then again Capcom fucked up Resi 1's remake by making it a Nintendo exclusive and then acting surprised that its sales suffered due to RE fan's loyalty to the PlayStation despite being the objectively best RE game, and then RE4 being unsurprisngly a bigger seller due to its PS2 and GameCube availability. If Capcom didn't do a retarded exclusivity deal with Nintendo, games could be looking very different right now.

I was also surprised by how great playing RE1 was on PC, even with the old style gameplay. I actually preferred it that way to all my time playing them on console.

Out of excitement I've been playing the old survival horror games, not just Resi. Namely Dino Crisis. IMO Dino Crisis is a better example of a survival horror game than Resident Evil is, shame it's so underrated. Ammo is much more scarce, enemies are much more able and frightening, enemies absorb lots more damage, and they could even move room-to-room. I felt that the puzzles, code-finding, and fetchquesting were all much more elaborate in Dino Crisis. I quite liked the stronger backtracking element in DC. I thought it was a really well-designed scenario.

I found myself more spooked in DC than other horror games despite the lack of proper scares. I feel like survival horror is less about its theme, but more about the persecution and disempowerment of the player, if that makes any sense. Dashing down a well-lit corridoor to escape a single raptor with only four bullets in my pistol and then reflexively slamming the button to turn on the laser fencing to stop the raptor in its tracks just as it jumped at my arse gave me more thrills than dodging zombies did, in a game that gives you just enough shotgun shells to shoot all the necessary zombies you encounter.

If RE0 and RE2 do well, I'm hoping we see a resurrection of classic survival horror, at least in terms of design/intent.

God I love Dino Crisis. I have it on Dreamcast and I played the hell out of that. Really wish I could find an emulator of it because I cant get the Dreamcast to work on my current TV (I think it's too new or something because it works on other TVs),

Schwimmwagen

God I love Dino Crisis. I have it on Dreamcast and I played the hell out of that. Really wish I could find an emulator of it because I cant get the Dreamcast to work on my current TV (I think it's too new or something because it works on other TVs),

I'm fortunate enough to still have my PS1 copy from years ago, but if you have a PS3 with PSN, you can buy a digital copy and play it on your TV. I think there's a PSP port as well, but I don't know if it's Vita or the original.

But yeah DC is the shit. But when I was little I had DC2 first and didn't get my own copy of DC1 until later. But now I've beaten DC1 3 times to get all the unlocks/endings.

And costumes.

Regina is my waifu

Kaizy

Emotional Mess
I'm fortunate enough to still have my PS1 copy from years ago, but if you have a PS3 with PSN, you can buy a digital copy and play it on your TV. I think there's a PSP port as well, but I don't know if it's Vita or the original.

But yeah DC is the shit. But when I was little I had DC2 first and didn't get my own copy of DC1 until later. But now I've beaten DC1 3 times to get all the unlocks/endings.

And costumes.

Regina is my waifu

That makes me happy. Though this means I need a PS3 or I need to get a new circlepad thing for my PSP (as well as find it lol).

Fernin

6150 rpm and spinning.
They haven't rereleased it yet, but it's announced and it's coming. Not sure when, though.

Ah, well, shit, nice. I'm among the minority that really liked Zero.

Twylyght

I'd love to see a RE2 remake in the same vein as the RE1 remake. Could you imagine how cool and frightening it would be to have the freakin' Crimson Heads running after Leon and Claire because they couldn't burn the bodies? Man, those things made me nervous to backtrack when I really needed it. Just imagine realistic Lickers and those spiders *shudders* hanging from the walls and ceilings.

I'd love to have a remake of RE 3. Nemesis always put me on edge. It was the first time I realized that closing a door in his face wouldn't stop him and he could show up anywhere. The only warning you had that he was in the same room as you is when he uttered the word "Staaars!"

Twylyght

Ah, well, shit, nice. I'm among the minority that really liked Zero.

I loved RE 0. Those slug zombie things always gave me the creeps. The way they would puff up close to you and explore to deal some last second damage to you always put me on edge when fighting them.

Soul-Wolf

Banned
Banned
The optional partner thing makes the most sense in almost any game like that unless it's like Revelations 2 where there's a real purpose for the two different characters sticking together justified both by the story and gameplay. Optional 2 player that doesn't completely change the game has been doable since um, games. I think part of the purpose originally for having characters like Ashley and other temporary companions, as well as the partner characters was to do what games like Bioshock Infinite and The Last Of Us would later do better and in single player which is give you an attachment to other characters as a means to stoke fear when they're in danger or risky situations. So it ostensibly was part of the horror concept, but they thought it would be enough to just making the two characters repeatedly say some variant of "we're a team, we stick together to the end, partner pal life partner person!"

You know the parts of RE6 that actually were interesting to me though? One example is when Leon is trying to protect Ada and the two characters keep getting split up, then at one point Ada has no control and Leon is covering/protecting her. And the intro makes it seem like the partners rescuing each other thing is going to be a bigger part of the game than it actually ended up being. So it's not like they don't know what works.

They're just fucking lazy and cynical.

Enigmaticat

Oh Boy!
Well he was in both the Chronicles games and Operation Raccoon city.

Chronicles were just a short version of his original story. Operation Raccoon City he made like a cameo... I dont count it since its non-canon.

Kaizy

Emotional Mess
I wasn't really digging the spin-offs. I mean, the rail-shooter thing was kinda cool, but I found myself just wanting to play the actual games.
Oh and I found that not only is Dino Crisis 1+2 on the PSN, but so are all the old RE games.
Welp, time to blow money on classics.

Enigmaticat

Oh Boy!
I wasn't really digging the spin-offs. I mean, the rail-shooter thing was kinda cool, but I found myself just wanting to play the actual games.
Oh and I found that not only is Dino Crisis 1+2 on the PSN, but so are all the old RE games.
Welp, time to blow money on classics.

Been there done that. XD

I bought them for my PS3 and they cross buy for my Vita too.