• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Retro Games Thread

KimberVaile

Officially elected and actual ruler of FAF
Nothing fancy just gush about your favorite retro games in great detail! Anything That is from sixth Generation of consoles (PS2, Xbox, Gamecube) or before.

So starting things off, the Ps1 was quite dear to me, I think some of my fondest memories come from Twisted Metal 2. I quite love how every car feels so unique, and the premise is quite inventive with the direction it goes. It reminds me of the day when gameplay came first and people didn't obsess over sweaty, realistically rendered armpits and other 'immersive' qualities. Car combat deserves to come back!

What about you? Rattle off a few games retro games that mean something to ya!

ben909

vaporeon
naval ops was a fun gamw for me, as was the first battlefront2

although most old games i like are pc based, but windows xp

Nexus Cabler

Conduit of Synergy
Jak and Daxter 1-3 were really big games of mine.

1627561381303.png

Played those so much growing up.

ben909

vaporeon

ben909

vaporeon
It's worth trying again at some point.

It was tough to beat when I was a kid, but it was worth it when I did.
the batteries for the ps3 controller hve really gone so that adds an issue, don't have a ps2 anymore, but ps3 was old enough to run ps2games

Nexus Cabler

Conduit of Synergy
the batteries for the ps3 controller hve really gone so that adds an issue, don't have a ps2 anymore, but ps3 was old enough to run ps2games
I'm still using my xbox 360. It's still working perfectly.

ben909

vaporeon
I'm still using my xbox 360. It's still working perfectly.
that had aa batteries, not internal batteries for the controlers

although i still have a working n64

Attaman

"I say we forget this business and run."
Of note: Technically, if you go by the "15+ years old is retro", the Xbox 360 launch line-up is retro. In about two weeks, the original Dead Rising will be retro!

Still play through a couple retro games now and then, though with a lot of previous generations' consoles' online markets having gone online and my eldest consoles (NES and Genesis) no longer being in working order, the last I've played anything older than PSOne era was half a decade ago. Had a hell of a hankering to play Leander, but had to make due with music for aforementioned "Lack of functional Genesis" reasons. Still go back to Final Fantasy VII now and then, and classic Doom can be fun to boot up every once and a while (likewise Symphony of the Night). Strongly debating whether to go back to Windwaker or Brave Fencer Musashi next, or to keep trucking on in the far more recent Yakuza: Like a Dragon.

Yakamaru

Spookdogg
Dungeon Keeper 2 is a very fun game still to this day. "It's good to be bad" is the game's motto as you play as an evil Keeper from a god's perspective.

Would love for Dungeon Keeper 2 to have full Classical Latin voice over, but unfortunately only Dungeon Keeper have it through a mod.

Shane McNair

Ace Pilot
I have tremendous, nostalgic adoration for Goldeneye. Still the best FPS ever, especially since it was so revolutionary when it was released in 1997. I still have the same cartridge and the same N64 I was playing it on way back at the tender age of ten. THIS was the one that really got me into videogaming when I was a kid.

I really need to make some time to play this game again.

Last edited:
A friend told me about Garage: Bad Dream Adventure getting a fan translation not too long ago, and so i've been playing it a bit every now and then.
The gameplay isn't anything special, it is a point and click game from 1999 that was made by a very small team, but the environments and bizarre world are worth exploring

Sven Solitude

I've been revisiting some of my Metroid games: Zero Mission, Fusion, and Prime. Prime is still my favorite.
Oooh nice! I was doing a Metroid trip last year. I played Zero Mission for the first time and was surprised that it actually is by far the most difficult game in the series! If you go for 100% and all gallery images. Some upgrades are tricky to obtain as well!
Other than that, I played through the Prime trilogy again and Fusion. Are you interested speedruns or anything like that? :)

I have tremendous, nostalgic adoration for Goldeneye. Still the best FPS ever, especially since it was so revolutionary when it was released in 1997. I still have the same cartridge and the same N64 I was playing it on way back at the tender age of ten. THIS was the one that really got me into videogaming when I was a kid.

I agree! I love GoldenEye for the N64! It's hard, but I really want to beat all levels on the 00 Agent difficulty. And maaaybe try to unlock all the cheat codes. Someone here up for a challenge?!

Foxridley

A fox named Ridley
Oooh nice! I was doing a Metroid trip last year. I played Zero Mission for the first time and was surprised that it actually is by far the most difficult game in the series! If you go for 100% and all gallery images. Some upgrades are tricky to obtain as well!
Other than that, I played through the Prime trilogy again and Fusion. Are you interested speedruns or anything like that? :)

I agree! I love GoldenEye for the N64! It's hard, but I really want to beat all levels on the 00 Agent difficulty. And maaaybe try to unlock all the cheat codes. Someone here up for a challenge?!
I do some casual sequence breaking in Prime 1 and Zero Mission, but I wouldn't call what I do speedrunning. Just tried out a randomized playthrough of Prime 1.

FoxWithAName

Still new only older
I recently got into collecting retro games and consoles mostly Nintendo. Still a small collection but I expand fast ^^. I was never a console kid, but playing the first Turok and Lylat Wars on a N64 are amazing games. The openness of Turok really surprised me and the gameplay is pretty modern (when switching to the right hand playstyle).
My first complete "simple" run of Lylat wars was pretty nerve raking. The game sucked in completly and now I want to explore the other paths and other levels.

I need to find myself a copy of Golden Eye so I can experience hopefully experience this as well

Band1t

Mostly Harmless.
I love the text adventure version of "The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy". I guess I just love those books too, but whatever.

Pomorek

Hyena-Addicted Antelope
I love the mid-90s shooters, the period from Doom/Heretic/Hexen, through Duke Nukem/Blood/Redneck Rampage, to Quake. The messy, chaotic nature of gunfights in these games is something that appeals to me. But I also like to run them in a convenient way, and in enhanced graphics if possible. There's a small collection of modernized engines I use for this, maybe someone will be interested.
  • For games based on Doom, I recommend the gzdoom engine, together with zdl launcher which makes it easy to manage multiple games and mods.
  • For Duke Nukem, Blood and others based on the Build engine, there's a modernization called BuildGDX. Fiendishly hard to find on Google because of the nondescript name; I remember searching for something like this many times but without success, until I ran into it on some random forum. Sure you can run these games (and others) through Dosbox, but BuildGDX uses way less resources and it accepts mods such as high-resolution textures.
  • For Quake, there's an interesting project called Darkplaces. Basically it takes the original game (with a hi-res textures version too) and runs it through modern OpenGL renderer. It's quite impressive how good the light and shadows can get this way.