• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Rumor Mill: Apple Attempting to Make a Console?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kangamutt

It's speculated that Apple is going to try and make a gaming console of their own, the unofficially nicknamed iBox.

Thoughts? Opinions? Can they overcome the shadow of the flop when they worked with BanDai to create the Pippin?

L

LizardKing

SPOILER: It'll be white with pretty lights and be utterly shit but people will buy it in droves anyway

CryoScales

Devourer of Worlds
Wow this is going crazy now. Console wars are already overrated. Now we are going to get ANOTHER console to have to purchase and debate over youtube about "Which is better and which is shit"

I couldn't see it going very far, or selling even half as many as the Ps3.

Lukar

Durrgon
If Apple does make their own console, it'll be exactly like the 360, methinks. And if not a home console, it'd be a portable console- but seriously, why make a portable console when you already have the iPhone and iPod Touch?

DragonRift

Space Invader
sorry, you have no idea :3

of course, it's Nintendo's fault that all the kids and fanboys are buying the stuff, uh-huh

Aaaaaactually... it is, if you really think about it.

Nintendo created a machine that is literally full of endless potential. Seriously, you look at their top-tier games like Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3, and Smash Bros. Brawl, you know they're completely capable of delivering exactly what gamers want.

However, NINTENDO allowed their console to become the trend-setter for the "hip" new ADD-filled generation. People who only want to play cute little minigames became the sole core of their audience... and instead of creating a balance between them and the true fans, they catered to the casual folks tenfold since all they could see were dollar signs.

Look, I understand that they're a business. But Nintendo used to be something for gamers... true gamers. From the 8-bit NES days all the way through the Cube, fans were proud to stand at Nintendo's side and defend them with everything they had. Even the N64's horrid hardware setup managed to chug out some of the best games we've ever experienced. Nintendo made dangerously risky decisions, but managed to crank out a few sparkling gems whenever they dug too deep.

The Wii? All Iwata cares about is all the non-gamers he can lure in. He doesn't give a flying fuck about the folks who took hits for Nintendo whenever they were struck down by Sony and Microsoft's competition.

Apple jumping in the market... I just picture another Wii-wannabe. Another "casual gamer" machine marketed to little kids, teenagers with ADD who only speak "tweets" and "facebook", and old people.

I fucking hate the casual market trend.... and I hate Nintendo for creating a monster out of it. It IS Nintendo's fault, whether you like it or not. The idiots who keep buying the garbage minigames are equally to blame, since they never EVER learn. Nintendo's just not competitive anymore.

*sigh*... Why did I let myself do this? My apologies for the off-topic response. ~_~

Last edited:

Panzermanathod

SHAVE ALL FUR! BALDIES FTW!!!
Someone once hypothesized that Sega and Atari would come back, or something.

That would be much more interesting than the iBox.

Also, in before X-play gag.

Edit: Too late

DragonRift

Space Invader

Those were awesome ads. XD

Seriously though, I think Apple's foray into the market is irritating. We don't need four home consoles waving their dicks around, all playing the same games, with only a small handful of exclusive titles to separate them by.

It's bad enough when I see the latest action game listed with a gajillion console logos below it. I don't want to see Apple jumping on that bandwagon... I really don't.

CryoScales

Devourer of Worlds
I really don't consider Nintendo a competitor for the 360 or the Ps3. Since both consoles both have casual and hardcore games.

Panzermanathod

Yeah. I think there's too many consoles out to have a 4th jump in as well. I think the market is already a bit overstimulated as is.

Kangamutt

(casual game rant cut for the sake of space and massive TL;DRage)

Personally, I didn't find your post going off the rails, seeing as you brought it back full circle.

But allow me to take a small stand for the casuals:

Casual gaming is almost a sorts of "gateway drug" to a bigger world of gaming. Back in the day when controllers were only A, B, Up, Down, Left, Right, any game was a snap to remember. Nowadays, there's far more buttons and commands to remember. Most controllers (in the case for the Wii, their classic controller attachment would fall under this setup) sport the standard D-pad, two control sticks, four command buttons, and two shoulder buttons, with slight variations from system to system, such as the black/white on the xbox or an extra pair of shoulder buttons on playstation. For youngsters and people new to gaming, these setups can prove somewhat intimidating, and with the advent of simplified games, it proves easy to learn, until their good friends show them there's a bigger world outside silly little minigames.

BUT I DIGRESS; BACK TO APPLE'S ATTEMPT AT THE CONSOLE MARKET:
Aside from what it will look like (I'm assuming it'll be brushed aluminum with a dinky little light-up white apple on top), the introduction of a new console would upset the current console market. If a new challenger approaches (bad SSB pun), it will force the big 3 to change their game plan. They might have to find new reasons to get 3rd party developers to make a game for their console; they might have to lower their prices to garner more sales ($50 for a new game!?).

HOWEVER, there could be a problem here:
The advent of digital distribution straight to the console has lengthened the console cycle. It's currently speculated that the current cycle is not even halfway through. With a new contender stepping into the ring, it may prompt manufacturers to cut the cycle short, in order to make a new machine to compete with the new guy.

The iBox could either make console gaming more affordable by making Nintendo, Microsoft, and Sony lower prices, or make it unaffordable by shortening the console cycle prompting people to buy new consoles more often, and leaving the PC to fill in the gap.

Utsukushii

The Fabulous Zhang He
Ooh. I like the sound of making everything cheaper. But I agree, the whole "new machine" thing isn't a good idea. My suggestion? Name it iPlay and come out with games with suggestive titles like "With Myself" and "Leather Games". It could open the gaming world to a few new types of audiences, whether they're satisfied or not. I mean, what HASN'T Apple done?

Panzermanathod

AshleyAshes

Arcade Snowmew Of Doom
I suppose Apple could start releasing classic style games for their platforms over iTunes. They'd just need to release a Blue Tooth controller and it'd work on Apple TV and stuff like that.

Utsukushii

The Fabulous Zhang He
I suppose Apple could start releasing classic style games for their platforms over iTunes. They'd just need to release a Blue Tooth controller and it'd work on Apple TV and stuff like that.
Don't forget! You also need the iFusebox that only works with iFuses. It's power is limited to fossil fuels. You need to connect it to the iGenerator and buy some of their patented iGas, only to find out it runs on certified-only iCoal. Oh wait, not yet.

pheonix

back'n up back'n up
Sounds interesting but I wouldn't get it. It'll be hard for apple to capture gamers from the already existing counsels. If they actually go through with this I'd love to see what games/characters they'd use as there top marketing scheme. Whatever they come up with I'm sure it wont match Snake, Mario, or The Chief.

Ceuper

The Bucket of Truth
Do you think Apple (or any other company) gives a shit about things like gamers having too many consoles to choose from? If it turns a big enough profit, they're going to do it. End of story.

Digitalpotato

Rants like a Gryphon
Already did it. They don't give a shit about gaming since if I recall.

Vintage

you're beautiful
Look, I understand that they're a business. But Nintendo used to be something for gamers... true gamers.

first, if "true gamers" would stop putting this box around themselves that consists of themselves on the inside and everyone else on the outside, maybe the industry would be a little better off. this ridiculous taxonomy is annoying and it serves no purpose but to divide. just because you give a fuck about pixel shaders doesn't mean joe schmoe down the street with three kids and a yard does, or has to.

second, if your favorite game series is no longer worth the disc it's pressed on, if this gets you that steamed, make one that's better instead of spending your time waiting for a train that will never come. that's how the industry expands and adapts to different tastes. that's how it grows. not by people sitting around waiting for one of the big three to cater to them individually. it's not in their interest.

Tarri

It will probably be terrible if made.............It will probably be just like a mac and will be able to fit in one of those lil envolopes. Thats all i have to say

Digitalpotato

Rants like a Gryphon
first, if "true gamers" would stop putting this box around themselves that consists of themselves on the inside and everyone else on the outside, maybe the industry would be a little better off. this ridiculous taxonomy is annoying and it serves no purpose but to divide. just because you give a fuck about pixel shaders doesn't mean joe schmoe down the street with three kids and a yard does, or has to.

second, if your favorite game series is no longer worth the disc it's pressed on, if this gets you that steamed, make one that's better instead of spending your time waiting for a train that will never come. that's how the industry expands and adapts to different tastes. that's how it grows. not by people sitting around waiting for one of the big three to cater to them individually. it's not in their interest.

Finally someone speaks up...yes the industry grows. Yes they expand it all. Most importantly...THIS IS A BUSINESS. Do you think that a huge budget game that appeals to fans and fans only will be worthwhile unless there are enough to pay for it? No.

I still remember when you could play games for the sole purpose of having fun. Nowadays I swear it's all about having fun "The right way" and playing "The right stuff", otherwise you are an idiot.

AshleyAshes

Arcade Snowmew Of Doom
The Wii? All Iwata cares about is all the non-gamers he can lure in. He doesn't give a flying fuck about the folks who took hits for Nintendo whenever they were struck down by Sony and Microsoft's competition.

You know that Nintendo isn't Jesus right? Video game consoles are just toys, nothing more, nothing less.

Status
Not open for further replies.