• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Saddest moments in video games v2.0

AlexX

Calamity in Heaven
There are a lot of other cliche tragic moments in Fire Emblem, such as having Jill kill her daddypoo while he attempts to drown an entire village in Fire Emblem 9. Or when Sigurd finds out that his sister/brother-in-law and their army were massacred in the Yied desert as they tried to come to his aid in FE4.... Lots of stuff
I'm pretty sure a better example in FE4 would be when Sigurd himself and your entire army gets slaughtered right in front of you by giant meteors.

If you think about it, all their work was for nothing since Alvis had all the events of the first generation planned out and executed perfectly. Really, he was the "Just as Planned" guy long before Light Yagami was ever around.

Last edited:

Holsety

I'm pretty sure a better example in FE4 would be when Sigurd himself and your entire army gets slaughtered right in front of you by giant meteors.

Really, all their work was for nothing since Alvis had all the events of the first generation planned out and executed perfectly. Really, he was the "Just as Planned" guy long before Light Yagami was ever around.

Individual deaths tend to have a slightly more powerful impact, especially considering how Cuan and Ethlin died in comparison to the rest of the army and what happened as a result of it (Altenna).

Besides that a good amount of people survived the initial battle, pretty much every female (besides maybe Ayra) and Azel managed to get away for a while. It was mostly the men who died, and most of them sucked/were generic bastards anyway.

i edit my posts a lot because i don't like the way i've said something but i generally make it worse, fuuuu

Last edited:

Mr. Goblet

Fargo Palisader
For me it is The Darkness.
You search for your girlfriend in the orphanage that you and she went to when you two were younger. You find your girlfriend but you also find Paulie and Eddie. You are restrained by the darkness while they hold her. You kept on tapping buttons to see if you could escape and save her. You aren't and they shoot her in the head.
I felt depressed for the rest of the day.

Then there was the ending to Half Life 2: Episode 2.

SirRob

I meant the fact that it wasn't really sad at all because it was a good thing, as opposed to Jaffar dying or something just as bad.
Well it was good that she got out of the situation. However discovering that her mother despised her and wanted her dead, and killed her parents, was pretty depressing to me.

Immelmann

Machine Washable
This time when I was playing Tetris, I had four full rows of blocks with a space to the right, just waiting for a four-block to fill it. One came down, and I was ecstatic, and I lined it up...
But one space before it got into position, my finger slipped and it got stuck on the top row, ruining it!

I cried for hours.

AlexX

Calamity in Heaven
Embodiment of Scarlet Devil:
-I died against Cirno

The one boss known for being an idiot and I die against her... On NORMAL difficulty to boot; it wasn't even Hard or Lunatic!

EmoWolf

Off hunting...
When Lenne and Shuyin got shot at in front of Vegnaguan
With 1000 Words in the background, ugh!
It would of even worse if they did one of the LenneShuyin/TidusYuna cross scenes. *sniffle*

CyberFoxx

Wait, what?
Dragon Quest V.

I whole heartedly agree. That whole game was a cry-fest.

Second to DQ5, Phantasy Star 2 and Phantasy Star 4. Nei and Alys in both of them got to me.

Third, the battle against Miguel in Chrono Cross. Sure, there's the fact that you have to kill the poor guy, but the music made it even worse.

Digitalpotato

Rants like a Gryphon

If you think about it, all their work was for nothing since Alvis had all the events of the first generation planned out and executed perfectly. Really, he was the "Just as Planned" guy long before Light Yagami was ever around.

I thought Yami Yugi came before LIght Yagami, but then again, Yami Yugi seems to just pull out his two-steps-ahead-of-you plans out of his ass....

I'd have to say Nino's story was kind of sad, I agree with that. It really made me wanna sic Jaffar on Sonia's ass for that. Or even better, how about when Eliwood commits Manslaughter on Ninian and nergal laugs at him. That was probably a good part of the game, really why do all the villains have to be REALLY evil in that game series. (...Lyon is an exception since he's either possessed or cocky. Riev, Callech, and Valter more than make up for that)

Also, the endign to Final Fantasy X-2 was pretty sad.

Last edited:

AlexX

Calamity in Heaven
[...] really why do all the villains have to be REALLY evil in that game series.
Alvis is rather arguable, because despite being neglected by both parents and show how bad the world is he chose not to go emo over it, but rather put it all under his control so that he could improve it.

Some like to say Zephiel as well, but I really think he's just being emo and throwing a tantrum because his father never loved him and tried to kill him a couple times. Considering Alvis had to be cared for by his father's mistriss (one of them, anyways... Victor was a rather notorious philanderer) of all people, Zephiel really has no excuse for simply wanting to nuke humanity and give the world back to the dragons rather than actively try to improve it like Alvis did.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and then there's Micaiah in Radiant Dawn... She wasn't truly "evil", but she certainly qualifies as an antagonist for part of the game.

Last edited:

Digitalpotato

Rants like a Gryphon
Finally, someone else who thought that about Zephiel. I thought Zephiel was more of "My father never loved me because he thought I was a little Gary Stu child and tried to kill me a couple times. I should just kill EVERYONE so this never happens...especially after seeing Narshen. O.O"

Again, Lyon is probably arguable, except that like I mentioned, he's either cocky or possessed.

no Fire Emblem villain can ever beat Denning IMO.

QuetzaDrake

The end of Lufia 2/beginning of Lufia 1 with Maxim and Selena's death.

I literally cried when I played Lufia 1 when I was a kid and saw that scene and had to stop playing for a little while, and I still get teary-eyed every time I see it.

Also when old Guy dies in Lufia 1.

Corto

The ending to Snake Eater, hands down. I still haven't played Guns of the Patriots, though, so it may have an even better (or sadder) ending.

LordWibble

I fucking wept at the ending of MGS3, after my fourth playthrough. It affected me like no other story has, before or after.

The ending to acts 1 and 3 of the Darkness are pretty sad too. It depresses me to hear of a sequel in the works, because that final scene on the park bench was such a perfect ending.

I suppose the ending to HL2: Episode 2 would have been sad if I gave a shit for Alyx, but the game has so many moments where it beats you over the head saying; 'LIKE HER', that she ceased to feel like a character at all.

SirRob

no Fire Emblem villain can ever beat Denning IMO.
This is a message from Lord Nergal, "I await you on the Dread Isle."

Yes, he's quite the character.

And killing Sonia with Nino is sooooo much more worth it. D:

Daniel Kay

Scalie love
Do moments ABOUT games count too... because then i can add the "legend of spyro" series.. seeing the first one i thought "eh they try a new thing, might not be that bad"... but after the way it developed i thought "damn this doesnt look good"... well and seeing where it went now... RIP classic Spyro...

As for in game i still have to think Silent Hill 2:
Angela deliberatly and calmly going up the burning stairs to her certain death, her last words "the heat... can you feel it too?"... the last you see of her is a dark silouete slowly dissapearing in the flames

Silent Hill 3:
Returning home about halfway through the game to find heathers father dead... and if you know who he is it makes it hurt even more deep down

AlexInsane

I does what I says on the box.
The part where you beat the game and then cry because you totally got screwed out of $40 and you feel like killing yourself for even playing the piece of shit.

That's the saddest moment in video games right there.

Holsety

And killing Sonia with Nino is sooooo much more worth it. D:
Why in God's name would you use Nino, let alone work her up to a reasonable level that quickly to not get maimed by Sonia... Do you LIKE torturing yourself needlessly?! D:

Adding onto the list, the Dark Side route of both Knights of the Old Republic games were pretty depressing, especially moments where you killed off/sacrificed your party members (killing off Mission with Zaalbar was pretty bad...), although these are debatable since its more a result of your choices rather than something the game throws on you no matter what, but they still kind of sucked D;

Kajet

To me the saddest moments in gaming was a long time ago, when my family rented a game for the weekend and I had to take it back and I hadn't beaten it yet, sure these days I could download those games in less than five seconds but back then... games weren't that easy to get, and just as expensive as today...

Damn kids these days and their internet...

SirRob

Why in God's name would you use Nino, let alone work her up to a reasonable level that quickly to not get maimed by Sonia... Do you LIKE torturing yourself needlessly?! D:
'Cause I like Nino, and I use the characters I like. ._. Plus I like being able to get a really weak character to 20/15-20 in one chapter. XD