• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Search Engines in the Google Era: What ones do you use?

Simo

Professional Watermelon Farmer
Increasingly, I find myself using Google less and less, especially for image searches, and using Bing and DuckDuckGo instead. I seem to get better, more accurate, and a greater number of results.

Also, on a furry note: Google certainly isn't my 'go-to' place for furry art, but it's amazing how much more turns up on a Bing search, Vs. the exact same Google search; overall, it also seems that Google is a bit more prudish/restrained in the results it gives, no matter the way the 'safe search' filter is set.

For other things, I tend to use DuckDuckGo, then Google, as in looking up information, or, at work, even to clarify the exact title of a book/article somebody can't quite remember, before searching our won catalog/databases.

Bu the more I ponder things, the more I have to conclude:

Google is over-rated.

Anyone else use a variety of search tools, and if so, what ones do you use/like?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 111470

I'm starting to dislike Google more and more. It's been long since I stopped using Chrome, and I think it's high time I started using other search engines as well - I've also heard that Bing is better for image searching.

Connor J. Coyote

¥otie ¥otezer
I use them all... Google mostly; Bing once and a while.. and Duck Duck Go on occasion.. Google usually has the most image results I need.. Bing eats up alot of my CPU, for some reason, (and so I use it less). Duck Duck Go doesn't use trackers and spy on you (so they claim) - but I find that their image results can be kind wonky sometimes, and not always the best.

Simo

I use them all... Google mostly; Bing once and a while.. and Duck Duck Go on occasion.. Google usually has the most image results I need.. Bing eats up alot of my CPU, for some reason, (and so I use it less). Duck Duck Go doesn't use trackers and spy on you (so they claim) - but I find that their image results can be kind wonky sometimes, and not always the best.

Curious, about Bing, and CPU...is this on a phone?

Have been running various test searches here, on the 3 search engines mentioned, and so far, Google has consistently yielded the fewest 'results'.

Also, seem to getting the most accurate image results on Duck Duck Go, here. Especially on furry art :p

Muln

NPC.Furry.Muln.12367
Banned
Yes Google "TOTALLY" does not customize search results to brainwash people

Slytherin Umbreon

Black Lives Matter
Never bothered looking at anything other then Google.
The memes about Google taking over the world are too entertaining for me to do anything to try and stop it.

PlusThirtyOne

What DOES my username mean...?
i reluctantly use Google by default but i use DuckDuckGo whenever i need something helpful.
Google just shovels ads and sponsored links in my face instead of showing me anything relevant to what i'm searching. Google is utterly fucking USELESS when it comes to solving specific computer issues, partly because you can't search for phrases.

Yakamaru

Autumn wolf
I use DuckDuckGo for searching and Pale Moon as a browser. With all the shit going on with Google and their employees slowly starting to strike/revolt, it's only a matter of time before shit hits the fan.

Fallowfox

Are we moomin, or are we dancer?
i reluctantly use Google by default but i use DuckDuckGo whenever i need something helpful.
Google just shovels ads and sponsored links in my face instead of showing me anything relevant to what i'm searching. Google is utterly fucking USELESS when it comes to solving specific computer issues, partly because you can't search for phrases.

You can actually. Enclose the phrase in quotation marks and you're good to go.

Lexiand

Werewolf a Tophat
interesting something thats better than google

PlusThirtyOne

What DOES my username mean...?
You can actually. Enclose the phrase in quotation marks and you're good to go.
That's how it's supposed to work but that doesn't work anymore. if i could search for phrases, that would solve every problem i've had with Google's search results. For the life of me i can't think of any specific queries i've wrestled with, but for the most part every time i've used quotes it didn't make a lick of difference.
When i upgraded to Win10 i was disappointed that my back channel speakers weren't working anymore so i Googled for help but no matter how i searched, no matter how specific my queries were, i kept getting the same handful of vague, hardly-related links every time; fixes i'd already tried, references to software i didn't have (or want), suggestions to use different products, forum posts from 12 years ago before my operating system was even fucking made, dead download links to proprietary drivers, whatever.

Simo

....forum posts from 12 years ago before my operating system was even fucking made, dead download links to proprietary drivers, whatever.

I have noted a LOT of really outdated results, in searching on Google. And results that just quickly wander farther and farther afield, after the first page. Or, are riddled with paid ads. If I look up a plane crash, I don't need all these links to model air-planes : P