• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Search Feature/Filter Suggestions

quoting_mungo

Thread for suggestions for modifying the behavior/features of FA's search. If someone suggests something that's already implemented, and you know how to do it, feel free to tell them, but please be pleasant about it. :) My suggestions are below; feel free to add any other suggestions you may have!

• Date range
    It's currently possible to select a few presets for search result posting dates: A Day, 3 Days, A Week, A Month, All time. This is great if what you're trying to do is see what's new on the site, but not so great if you're looking for that one thing you saw back in 2011 or whatever. Making it possible to specify an arbitrary start/end date of search results would both make it easier to find submissions again, and facilitate circumventing the limitation on how many results can be displayed by splitting a search up into sub-searches by date.

• Image search
    This is a lot more of a "would be nice if"/pipe dream. While resource intensive, having a reverse image search like Google, SauceNAO, TinEye, and others have would make e.g. finding the artist of an image downloaded from FA in the past easier, which would benefit artists. If necessary, users could be assigned a limited number of image searches per day to avoid overtaxing the servers - it would still be a great thing to have. (I'll usually try using e621's reverse image search for sourcing furry art, especially adult art, but that only really helps if it's been posted there and given proper source attribution.)

Inkblooded

Him...
Banned
Does this include a tag or keyword blacklist? or are you talking about just the search?
It would be good to have the option to block something from search results. Like how in google you can type a - before a word to block out that keyboard.

For example, if FA used this system, and I wanted to search for pictures of furries on beaches, but I had a strong aversion to horse furries and didnt want to see any submissions with horses, by using the term "beach -horse" that would be possible

quoting_mungo

Does this include a tag or keyword blacklist? or are you talking about just the search?
This thread is intended to be search function only.

It would be good to have the option to block something from search results. Like how in google you can type a - before a word to block out that keyboard.

For example, if FA used this system, and I wanted to search for pictures of furries on beaches, but I had a strong aversion to horse furries and didnt want to see any submissions with horses, by using the term "beach -horse" that would be possible
You can already do this. If you enter "beach -horse" into the search, that's exactly what you'd get. You can also use an exclamation mark instead of the minus for the negation, which I generally prefer as the exclamation mark isn't a valid character in usernames and similar.

It would, of course, only work as well as the artist has filled out the submission information. A submission featuring a beach that doesn't have "beach" in its title, keywords, description, or file name would not show up in your search results. A submission that has "beach" in any of those but not "horse", would show up regardless of whether there is actually a beach or a horse in the submission image. This is true for all searches on FA.