• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Second Thoughts About Upgrading My Machine

Gushousekai195

Wants to ride in a Hydro Bronc
I would like to get a more powerful pc than what I have now, but I can no longer get one with Windows 7 on it. And people say Windows 10 is garbage. I saw one artist who was having problems with her display drawing tablet on win 10. I use a display tablet with drawing myself and I can only assume I will have the same problems when I upgrade.

What to do? Most of the stuff I use often isn't compatible with any other OS than Mac or Windows. I have a few that are Windows only. Some of my favorite programs are starting to drop Windows 7 support, too.

TyraWadman

The Silent Observer

It honestly sounds like user error. I also have clip and it works fine.

As for the tablet, you should look to see if your brand is supported on Windows 10 first, but i imagine it is.

It does soind like they might have a graphics card issue if nothing is displaying properly. They could have just bought something that wasn't strong enough to support their needs or might be in denial about something. I just recently bought a new computer in November and have no issues. Had one that lasted me a few years before that.

Gushousekai195

Wants to ride in a Hydro Bronc
There’s also the matter of the bloatware and the cpu-hogging services you supposedly can’t easily disable like Cortana. Also, the automatic updates and automatic restarts.

Last edited:

TyraWadman

The Silent Observer
There’s also the matter of the bloatware and the cpu-hogging services you supposedly can’t easily disable like Cortana. Also, the automatic updates and automatic restarts.
I disabled Cortana and you can set it to restart during inactive hours...or just tell it not to restart. That might have been the case for the first year of its release but it's good now. If they still experience these issues, it's probably user error/their PC is falling apart and unrelated to windows 10.

Having unwanted apps is annoying sure, but you can delete them in a matter of minutes. I just wish Windows kept the old games instead of pushing things like candy crush.

cowboi

DM me your favorite dinosaur
Used windows 10 quite a lot. There are definitely some annoying features but the work around a are pretty easy. I think you could disable or uninstall probably 95% with a couple of google searches. I didn’t love Win 10 like I did 7, but it was fine.

Kuroserama

Just a fox.
I use a huion kamvas pro 16 I believe. It's good for first display tablet, though it could be better.

The software I use is Clip Studio Paint. And sometimes Photoshop.

BTW, if you're curious: https://www.furaffinity.net/journal/9797604/
Hello. I use a Huion Kamvas pro 13 with Clip Studio Paint on Windows 10. I have not had any issues and I've been using it for about 2 years now. I am not a fan of Windows 10 but I really haven't seen any issues with my art tablet / drawing program.

Continuing to use Windows 7 is a huge security risk even with antivirus software. It's still riddled with vulnerabilities that will not be patched and that makes it an attractive target.

Windows 10 privacy settings can be adjusted in the Settings->Privacy console.

Updates now prompt you if you want to restart, be reminded later, or restart at a time of your choice.

On rare occasions I've seen Windows updates break something (usually on a server version), but more often, I see Mac OS updates break everything.

Bloatware can be uninstalled from the settings->apps console, programs/features console, or can be be disabled on startup in the task manager.

Raever

Chaotic Neutral Wreckage
When Windows 10 was released it had a lot of problems (much like Windows 7's first release...) but, while it's not as praised as our holy father windows 7, it's not as bad as it was on release. I personally haven't had issues with it in quite a few years. I'll take Windows 10 over anything Mac/Apple based any day. The only reason Mac/Apple doesn't have a statistically higher security issue logged is because the userbase itself is much lower, and they also have so many restrictions it might as well be a child's equivalent of the system it's trying to be.

If you get anything with a modern Windows 10 installation, you can make it as private as you want so long as you know how to do it. You can also edit basically anything. So, really, I don't see a reason not to unless you're 65+ and don't understand how to follow online instructions.

You don't really want to use Win7 anymore today for a new system.

If you don't want to use Win10 for specific reasons like how Microsoft has turned each and every part of the win10 OS into a personal data mining machine that's a very legitimate reason in my eyes, if you don't like new approach to certain design elements like start menus and what not that's also a fair bother. If you run specific hardware programs that flat out do not work on win10 due to missing driver support this is also fair game.

But today, you should probably start considering making the move or just bite the bullet and get into Linux and a workflow that suits you there(Most not willing to go through that).

A bogstandard windows install of windows 10 doesn't really have much bloat at all, and with modern hardware it's faster than win7, in particular on new hardware. The whole bloat thing is usually what you get from cheap or even sometimes expensive laptops and pre-built systems straight from the stores, not so much Microsoft and Windows themselves. This is how it always has been even with Win7. As mentioned earlier the little bloat it comes with can be uninstalled via the apps.

There's a legitimate concern too like your tablet, make sure it has drivers for win10, because what you describe earlier sounds like a driver issue plain off the bat.

As also mentioned earlier by Marius is that using Win7 today is a security risk whether you like it or not as it's simply not being updated anymore with proper security patches.

Also yes, there are things where win10 can cause issues with the updates they get, and there are horror stories out there how updates brick systems or files going missing and all these other odd issues which are true to these people. But it's important to know that a while back Microsoft changed how these windows updates work and essentially you the users that don't opt out in settings will be the guinea pigs and testers as they collect data worldwide as they roll out new updates.

As a user who had two personal desktop built with win 10 now, I've never had any issues with updates that left my system in shambles. But it may vary for others. It's really time to move on.

Last edited:

Kuroserama

Just a fox.
8BDCFBF0-5ACA-4CA3-9735-D8613FD7DF75.jpeg