• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

CreatureOfHabit

Just Another Artist™
Hey there! I've been on FA for a little bit now, and at the urging of friends and family, I finally got the nerve up to open myself to commissions a little over three months ago. I researched pricing from several different perspectives, tried to make sure my own lack of self-esteem didn't get in the way, and opened my shop.

Of course, I didn't expect to sell a lot, and I don't. I've had a few commissions here and there though, and they've all begun and ended like a dream. The customer and I always seem to part as amicable acquaintances at least, if not friends. However, I've been reading through various TOS and market threads lately, as well as some advice threads, and feel it's about time I ask the community what they think.

Now, I have asked the community before -- well, I read through other threads that asked, anyway -- but I hadn't quite gotten the nerve to reach out directly yet. Now I have.

The link to my market thread is here, and you can find my gallery in my signature. Please let me know if you can find any flaws, things I could improve, steps I could take backwards or forwards, etc. You get the picture!

[my market thread]

(That pun was originally unintended, but I'm owning it now.)

Last edited:

fralea

"A deadline is a deadline. However, an unreasonable deadline is no less unreasonable, and a piece made under duress or in rough conditions is more than likely to be ugly as hell. Please be reasonable. I know I plan to be."

I feel like this could be worded better. It comes off as a bit confrontational. Since you do traditional, I don't think I saw anywhere if you offer to send originals out to people. You might want to add your policy on that. Otherwise looks pretty good to me! Maybe someone else will have more advice.

CreatureOfHabit

Just Another Artist™
"A deadline is a deadline. However, an unreasonable deadline is no less unreasonable, and a piece made under duress or in rough conditions is more than likely to be ugly as hell. Please be reasonable. I know I plan to be."

I feel like this could be worded better. It comes off as a bit confrontational. Since you do traditional, I don't think I saw anywhere if you offer to send originals out to people. You might want to add your policy on that. Otherwise looks pretty good to me! Maybe someone else will have more advice.
You're probably right. At the time, I thought it would be a good way to leave a window open and remind people that sometimes, things happen, and that just as I planned on understanding their needs, to please understand mine. Looking back on it now, that's probably not the best way I could have worded that idea.

I try to hang on to my originals, as they usually come out a little worse for wear after the linework, scanning, coloring, and so on. I didn't think there would be a market for it, hence why I offer prints and merchandise instead. If enough people correct me on that, though, I'd happily offer to send originals.

fralea

I try to hang on to my originals, as they usually come out a little worse for wear after the linework, scanning, coloring, and so on. I didn't think there would be a market for it, hence why I offer prints and merchandise instead. If enough people correct me on that, though, I'd happily offer to send originals.

Hmm dunno what the market on originals is, and there's nothing wrong with wanting to hang onto them, but I think if you don't offer them you should just note that and maybe leave a link to your prints page. I didn't realize you had prints for sale.

CreatureOfHabit

Just Another Artist™
Hmm dunno what the market on originals is, and there's nothing wrong with wanting to hang onto them, but I think if you don't offer them you should just note that and maybe leave a link to your prints page. I didn't realize you had prints for sale.
I updated the deadline clause:
A deadline is a deadline; if the product is needed before a specific time, please inform me
before the price is settled! Quality work can take between one or two weeks at best, depending
on the piece. If any unavoidable obstacles on my end get in the way of any deadline, the
customer will be the first to know.
The prints are more of an afterthought for now, as I haven't come across any who wanted them yet, but they are mentioned immediately after the catalog. Perhaps it should be moved a little higher on the thread to ensure it gets seen...

fralea

Sounds great!

Oh, I see the link to your redbubble now. I think I skipped over it the first time because it wasn't in the first post on the thread.

redfox_81

How about changing that very first part from "A deadline is a deadline" to something like "Once agreed, all deadlines are final and shall be adhered to as such." Then add your disclaimer below.

I dunno, that first part still reads a little confrontational to me - semantics are hard to gauge with the written word. The rest is fine!

CreatureOfHabit

Just Another Artist™
How about changing that very first part from "A deadline is a deadline" to something like "Once agreed, all deadlines are final and shall be adhered to as such." Then add your disclaimer below.

I dunno, that first part still reads a little confrontational to me - semantics are hard to gauge with the written word. The rest is fine!
Hmmm... I'll look it over when I have better wifi. I try to make it as honest as possible, and for me, a deadline is a deadline (i.e. I'd better be dead if I don't make the deadline), but that's not necessarily how other people may see it. The feedback from both of you has been very helpful; thank you so much!

fralea

Well if the deadline isn't strictly adhered to its actually not a deadline, and called a "soft deadline" or "estimate". But I know what you mean. "Deadlines are final" is a pretty common way to put what you are trying to say though, now that redfox mentioned it.

CreatureOfHabit

Just Another Artist™
Well if the deadline isn't strictly adhered to its actually not a deadline, and called a "soft deadline" or "estimate". But I know what you mean. "Deadlines are final" is a pretty common way to put what you are trying to say though, now that redfox mentioned it.

I've changed the wording a bit more. Again, thanks so much for the feedback!