• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Seeking some critique!

RollerRobert

Fallen Angel
Specifically on this image (warning, it's quite large when viewed fullsize): rufusistruebeauty.deviantart.com: Selfie Redraw

This drawing was a lot of firsts, namely: first time doing lineless, first time putting this much detail into fur, first time doing a selfie draw-over, and first time working with an image this large.

Please give me some pointers on what I did well and things I could improve on with such a style! I'm mostly searching for comments on the fur, shading, and anatomy, however anything else is welcome as you see fit - I just ask for no comments on the character's design (this includes the eye pupils -I know they look kinda off, but that's the intent of the character and I'm just not looking to change it for the moment)

Thanks in advance!! <3

MissNook

I can't comment well on the fur since I'm not into fur done with lots of strokes but that looks quite right to me.

I think you've done especially good with the muzzle thanks to the highlights and shadows.
What seems off to me are the eyeballs, they seem to be on top of the face not inside the face (like as if there weren't holes in his skull). That can be fixed by putting the right on left edges of the eyeballs under the skin.
Another think is the paw, it's like the pads have slid to the side of the hand, they should be more onto the palm not that much near the side (and near us in this case).
Except for these, maybe try to put stronger shadows since we can see that the contrast is stronger on the sleeve.

But really for a first, you did a nice job :)

RollerRobert

Fallen Angel
I can't comment well on the fur since I'm not into fur done with lots of strokes but that looks quite right to me.

I think you've done especially good with the muzzle thanks to the highlights and shadows.
What seems off to me are the eyeballs, they seem to be on top of the face not inside the face (like as if there weren't holes in his skull). That can be fixed by putting the right on left edges of the eyeballs under the skin.
Another think is the paw, it's like the pads have slid to the side of the hand, they should be more onto the palm not that much near the side (and near us in this case).
Except for these, maybe try to put stronger shadows since we can see that the contrast is stronger on the sleeve.

But really for a first, you did a nice job :)

Thank you so much for all of those pointers! Especially with the eyes, I wasn't sure what was off about them so everything you mentioned is really helpful. Thanks again!!

fralea

Push your values, i.e make a greater range of lights and darks. Right now your white fur is all around the same lightness, same for the green and purple. If you compare that to the photograph part that has the jacket, you will see that there are dark grays, medium grays, and light grays and same with the yellow.

I hope that made sense!

edit: oh no, missnook already said this lol
I swear I read everything before I commented, I just skipped that sentence somehow

RollerRobert

Fallen Angel
Push your values, i.e make a greater range of lights and darks. Right now your white fur is all around the same lightness, same for the green and purple. If you compare that to the photograph part that has the jacket, you will see that there are dark grays, medium grays, and light grays and same with the yellow.

I hope that made sense!

edit: oh no, missnook already said this lol
I swear I read everything before I commented, I just skipped that sentence somehow
It's okay if you also noticed that, it helps me see what things stand out as needing improvement the most! Thank you for taking the time to give some feedback <3