• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Sentimentality over things.

SparkyWolf

As some of you may or may not know, I'm taking on the mammoth job of cleaning out my grandpa's attic. The place is PACKED with stuff, most of it broken or useless. One of the many items doomed to the landfill is (Or was) an old bed frame that my grandpa made from 2x4s 20 some odd years ago for my one of my cousins to sleep in. The thing was covered in dust and not structurally sound, so he told me to get the Sawzall and hack it apart. I did as I was told and as I was doing so realized how pissed my cousin will be if/when he finds out the fate of his old bed, and how most of his anger will be directed towards me as I was the person who sawed it apart. I told Gramps this revelation, and he agreed that he would be displeased, but said to "Tell him I told you to cut it up and throw it away" if he asks where it is. When I first broached the project to the cousin in question, he said he supported it as long as nothing was thrown away. Of course that is never going to happen so... Yeah... I am a totally non sentimental person, and could care less if something I used to use/like was thrown away. But most of the rest of my family is the opposite, and will throw a fit if things that they have memories of is junked. My question is this: What is it that makes people so disturbed/upset if something that they had 20 years ago, but never even think of now, gets deemed "trash"? From my point of view, that bed frame was old, rickety, and doing nobody any good, so why in the name of everything that's good keep it? IDK... Its something that baffles me.

Kazolas

Cleaning out attics can be fun sometimes. You never know what you might find. For instance, my family used to keep a bunch of Christmas decorations and we would always find old family ornaments and things after years.

To answer your question, people just hate letting go of things. If something is mine or used to be mine, I will always feel some sort of ownership over it. I have so many things from back in elementary school just because I don't want to let go of it.
Now I'm thinking of previous girlfriends. Whenever one of them starts dating another guy I turn to this primal feeling of "Grrr, that's mine! No one else can have her!" Of course I would never act on that feeling or take it seriously but it's just interesting to see that as my first split-second reaction.

Last edited:

Chuchi

Where'd the time go?
Well, I'm nowhere near as extreme as caring for a bed I haven't used for decades, but I do tend to attach value to items beyond their price tag. When I left the US, I had to part ways with like 95% of my possessions, and in some instances that was a bit difficult. I have some items in storage that I just couldn't chuck out or sell, waiting for an opportune moment to ship them over here and (re)add them to my collection of things that have meaning to me.

I think part of why we hold on to things is tradition. The whole 'passed down from so and so' thing tends to make people sentimental over stuff. Christmas ornaments is probably a big one; I've seen quite a few instances of those being handed down to future generations. If something was a gift from someone who is now dead, that can give things extra sentimental value as well.

I dunno, sometimes it's pretty silly to assign such value to random shit, for instance, I have a busted up traffic cone I couldn't part with. But it was a 'gift' from my EVOC (emergency vehicle operating course) instructor and fellow trainees, and it's an inside joke about how many cones I smoked on the track with the cruisers. And that particular cone got messed up by me on the last day of EVOC when we were driving around and having fun. Everyone called it 'Little Suzie.' It's got memories of my LE training attached to it, so I can't help but keep it around. But, from the outside, that's a really stupid item to keep around. It's an ugly ass, busted up traffic cone, scuffed to shit and held together by duct tape. C:

Maugryph

Find some precious item that gives you fond nostalgia. Then try to throw it in the trash. You will discover the answer to your own question. It's usually not the item itself. It's the memories that are attached to the item

Last edited:

sniperfreak223

More Metal Than You !!!
I don't have real emotional connections to many things, but the ones I do are crippling to the point that in many cases I can't look at them without crying. My great-grandfather's rifles, an aerial photo of the house I grew up in, a little note my maternal grandmother gave me when she was diagnosed with cancer ("Grandma's about to show you what it means to be brave."), a card my paternal grandmother gave me for graduation, the little card from my grandpa's funeral, and three guitars: a Washburn 333 "Dime Slime" that I got autographed by Damageplan in 2004, a Yamaha acoustic that belonged to a friend that I lost to suicide, and an off-brand Les Paul copy that belonged to my best friend who lost his battle with pancreatic cancer in 2012.

It's not the item, most of those are essentially worth nothing money-wise, it's the connection to the person that is associated with the item in my mind.

Chuchi

Where'd the time go?

Naesaki

JRPG Fanatic
I remember coming across an old watch and electronic dog toy my grandad gave me about a month before he died, shortly after he gave me the watch he suffered a massive heart attack (his 4th), and he spent the remaining month of his life in intensive care, but I was never allowed to see him, children weren't allowed on the wards, but I didn't find out he died until a few days later, parents didn't want to tell me on a school day, though sadly instead, while my dad was driving me to school, he pulls up against one of our neighbours as she called him over and offers her condolences, my dads face of pure horror when he remembers I'm in the car, of course I was sat in the back of the car and overheard it all, to say I broke down put it mildly, didn't go to school that day.

Every time I look at that old watch and toy on my shelf, even though both longer works, I'd never throw it out, the memories it evokes for me are just too precious for it to ever be gotten rid of.

Esper Husky

I tend not to be materialistic. That's a lil' bit more what this sounds like. Nostalgic, sure. But even if I try to tell myself something like: "Memories are nice, but that's all they are." -- It's still hard to part with something that is significant because of *who* or *what* it is attached *to* -- not necessarily what *it* is.

Simple example: I have kept the plushies I've received from every single relationship I've been in (and received plushies in / from). Even the straight, in denial, ex-g/f ones.

DMAN14

The wettest wolf
I am pretty sentimental, I think its mainly because when I am holding the object I can remember the memories much better. So I still have alot of lil toys from my childhood, right now I can remember ever playing with them. But if I went home and looked at them the memories would kick in for sure. For me, I try to limit the things I keep and try to keep the smaller things. Its pretty easy to store a few boxes of knick knacks but a bed frame not so easy to store.