• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Separation between main FurAffinity account and FurAffinity Forums account?

Dolphanatic

Helllo! I was wondering, as I was joining this site yesterday, why I needed to make a separate account for the forums in addition to my normal FurAffinity account. Why can't one account encompass both the main site and the forums? It seems rather inefficient to me. If anyone could please answer this, I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance!

xokux

The Awakened
I'm not sure either. I thought I forgot my password at first, but somehow was able to log into Forums.. So this information would be useful to me as well.

also hi c:

J

jayhusky

Hi all,

To answer your questions, due to the sites construction, it is highly improbable that compatibility between FA's custom code (both front-end and database) and forum software like Xenforo would or even could ever exist, also since then, the staff have made clear (in historical posts, which may or may not be available via this forum) that linking forum and main-site accounts will never be a feature due to security concerns. (One username & password for both sides of the site = one key to many doors etc).

The short version of this answer is that the accounts are separate purely for security purposes to avoid compromising both parts of the site for a user should their account be attacked.

You may or may not find the thread linked to below to be of use;
forums.furaffinity.net: The Separation Between FAF and FA?

I hope this helps answer your questions.

Ricky

To answer your questions, due to the sites construction, it is highly improbable that compatibility between FA's custom code (both front-end and database) and forum software like Xenforo would or even could ever exist, also since then, the staff have made clear (in historical posts, which may or may not be available via this forum) that linking forum and main-site accounts will never be a feature due to security concerns. (One username & password for both sides of the site = one key to many doors etc).

If you're using the same hashing algorithm, there are plenty of existing design patterns to use. Even if you aren't, there's stuff like SSO (SAML, etc.) or just delegate authentication if you don't mind updating forum code (branching and having to merge every time there's an update can be a pain in the ass). For industry standard integration patterns, you can refer to this text:

Enterprise Integration Patterns - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia