• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Server Hardware Fault

Status
Not open for further replies.

talakestreal

The Laconic Draconic
Wow, nothing brings the furries together like problems with a site. That being said, tossin' some money in the pot at some point today, because I do support the site.

I love seeing all the arguing though. Makes my morning interesting, seeing people make arses of themselves and argue and fuss like some are. I think we should all just be patient, and add what money we can to the fund.

yak

Site Developer
Administrator
I'm sorry, but with the recent outages, I've been less and less inclined to actually donate. Why donate to a site that's down more than it's up just for a "we might". Not only that, but features have been boasted about with this Ferrox build ( the Search feature being one of the ones I've been looking forward to ) for over a year now, and still nothing. I don't see what's so hard about it. F.A.P. has a search feature, Hentai Foundry has it, DA has it, VCL has it...but not one of the biggest furry community sites on the web? That just leaves me to believe someone's thumbing themselves with one hand, and picking their nose with the other.

I don't have time to work on finishing the search feature because I am busy with maintenance of unstable hardware and have to deal with frequents outages.

If FA didn't go down as much and would not burn me out every time it happens, I would have had much more free time to spend on FA doing much more rewarding things.

yak

Site Developer
Administrator
Why is "gamer ricer motherboard" in "server machine"?

Unfortunately, I was not given the opportunity to influence the choice of hardware that was being bought at that time.

kewlhotrod

Unleash Your Inner Beast...
Try a loan. :eek:

Or go see your great grandmother and bake her some cookies or something... Ya'know, for the will. D:

yak

Site Developer
Administrator
Okay, folks, seriously, you all are the weirdest group of people I ever had seen.

I can not express in words the amount of appreciation I have for you all donating your money to FA's needs, even though we can not provide you with guarantee that the money will be spent in the best possible way. This blind goodwill and overwhelming support is what amazes me in you guys. You've been here before, helping out, and you are here again now.

The amount of money some of you are willing to, and actually do donate is really impressive considering it is going towards the needs of simply a website on the internet. And the amount is not what is most important, the will and the thought is.

This puts us in a very responsible position to command what was raised, and I will personally try to do as much as I can to make sure the hardware that is being bought, it's deployment and configuration will make FA as fast, stable and reliable as possible.

I am overwhelmed with the amount of support you guys are showing.
Thank you all.

Wolf_Fox_Guy

Cant think up a custom title
they cant do that, they might run into loan sharks. and the only thing worse then a furry being taen advantage of is a furry being taken advantage of by another furry. XD

but seriously no......I can only imagine the trouble that would cause. my only advice would be to get a page holder up that would redirect folks to teh donation thread.

DJDarkViper

The Silent Hunter...
Okay, folks, seriously, you all are the weirdest group of people I ever had seen.

I can not express in words the amount of appreciation I have for you all donating your money to FA's needs, even though we can not provide you with guarantee that the money will be spent in the best possible way. This blind goodwill and overwhelming support is what amazes me in you guys. You've been here before, helping out, and you are here again now.

The amount of money some of you are willing to, and actually do donate is really impressive considering it is going towards the needs of simply a website on the internet. And the amount is not what is most important, the will and the thought is.

This puts us in a very responsible position to command what was raised, and I will personally try to do as much as I can to make sure the hardware that is being bought, it's deployment and configuration will make FA as fast, stable and reliable as possible.

Thank you all.

Strong words from a strong man. And in all honesty, quite inspiring

Ill see if i got anything i can donate to the cause via PayPal. the Canadian dollar is still worth something right? i can never tell anymore lol

Arbiter

Totally Gay For Bridget!!

Thank you all.

that just goes to show u how much we all care for our site :)

lupin-wolfe

Those cost a lot more money than we have funding for, unfortunately.

I got a friend who's offering an IBM eServer p570. 16 CPUs, 64 GB RAM. Personally, I don't belive him. Dragoneer, he wants yer mailing address so he can send it to you.
I dun have his contact info on me, though if you email me (It's in my profile somewhere), I could prolly get that info for ya next week..

He also mentioned showing up at FA:U with a Silicon Graphics Onyx 3200, but I dun believe him on it...
Still, something to check out. Free servers are better than free food, eh?

xionos

I don't have time to work on finishing the search feature because I am busy with maintenance of unstable hardware and have to deal with frequents outages.

If FA didn't go down as much and would not burn me out every time it happens, I would have had much more free time to spend on FA doing much more rewarding things.

The frequent outages are only as of recently. For the past year, FA would only go out for a couple days one every month or two. It only got worse with the move over to these new servers. Doing the math, you have had plenty of time to finish the search feature. Like I said before, FA is the only large art community I can think of that doesn't have a search feature, and sporadic down times is no excuse.

We all know the problem will be fixed. Just patience is all we need. Dragoneer and the rest are doing their best. I think we can survive a while without FurAffinity. It's not the end of the world- yet. Now when they say there is no hope at all ... then you can throw yourself into a panic frenzy. :p

Suntiger

Without knowing the day to day life of the person (or is it people?) who work on the search feature and other improvements, it's more than a little arrogant to say that they "should have" finished it by now.

Charem

The Vorish Firelizard
Is there any way to send a donation for FA via Paypal? I don't have any other method of sending...

yak

Site Developer
Administrator
The frequent outages are only as of recently. For the past year, FA would only go out for a couple days one every month or two. It only got worse with the move over to these new servers. Doing the math, you have had plenty of time to finish the search feature. Like I said before, FA is the only large art community I can think of that doesn't have a search feature, and sporadic down times is no excuse.

I realize it will sound as an excuse right about now, but I will say it nontheless.

Yes, previously FA did not go down a much as it does this now. But the website was slow to the point where it was unusable, and was running on a rather badly written and optimized codebase. A lot of time was spent to make FA run on the same set of hardware much faster then before, all that considering the site never stopped growing and had accumulated over 180% of the userbase and content of when I started working on it.

hiphopopotimus

my lyrics are bottomless
He also mentioned showing up at FA:U with a Silicon Graphics Onyx 3200, but I dun believe him on it...
Still, something to check out. Free servers are better than free food, eh?

Uhhh ya, what kind of truck did he use to transport his million dollar monstrous super computer with?

Reference pic for for how big the SGI Onyx 3.2k is:
http://www.trygve.com/onyx3200outside.jpg

Sounds like your friend is full of it. :p

salmy

Loner Cheetah not wolf! :P
Something I've read on this thread gave me an idea:

Why not make artists who get commisions thanks to FA be the ones having to pay for a subscription fee? After all, they're making money thanks to FA, and they should be the first ones supporting it. Making the site a subscription one for viewers would be unfair, but this is a place for artists to make money and be able to show they work. Those who don't ask for commisions can keep their free account. Those who do, have to pay a.. $5/mo to FA and maybe get some extra features or something?

In that sense, I'd make the kind of account public for all to see. (paid or regular) That way all artists who charge money should feature as 'paid accounts'. Of course there will be people who won't do it and do commisions anyway, but if they do that and they're reported to FA by some user, their account could be suspended.

Dunno, it just seems very fair to me. Even if it's a 'free' service, it has lots of ads now. Google is also 'free' for the public, but they don't run by donations, but by added-value services. If people makes money off the site, why not force that people to contribute mantaining the site?

Last edited:

Pi

I'm sorry, but with the recent outages, I've been less and less inclined to actually donate. Why donate to a site that's down more than it's up just for a "we might". Not only that, but features have been boasted about with this Ferrox build ( the Search feature being one of the ones I've been looking forward to ) for over a year now, and still nothing. I don't see what's so hard about it. F.A.P. has a search feature, Hentai Foundry has it, DA has it, VCL has it...but not one of the biggest furry community sites on the web? That just leaves me to believe someone's thumbing themselves with one hand, and picking their nose with the other.

How about I give you an old copy of the source code, and YOU implement a search feature that scales? Oh, and bring it up to current functionality! Sounds fun?

God, I'm not even a coder for the site and I'm tired of hearing gripes about the lack of search feature. It's not gonna happen with this codebase.

Status
Not open for further replies.