• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Server Hardware Fault

Status
Not open for further replies.

Echo_wulf

I don't understand why everyone is complaining so much about the site being down. This is a free site. I bet if they received $1.00 for every complaint about FA being down they would have enough money to buy better equipment so their would be no more failures. It's not their fault that there isn't enough support from their members to be able to afford the expensive equipment.

Poor Dragoneer's back must be in awful pain from everyone jumping on it... :(
you are completley right.. maybe if we all start up a journal running around saying help fa out donate 1$ and see what we can do from there

marymouse

Big Ears Long Tail
Heh... all you have to do is charge a subscription fee for anyone who wants to see red-border images... that'd make you enough money to buy a billion servers in a day.

All kidding aside, though, I personally would be willing to pay a subscription fee to the site, FA helps me a bunch with getting word out about commissions, etc.

The problems I see here are:
1. Taking away something (features, etc) that people are already getting for free would cause an uproar.
2.Providing new content (ie a search) would rely on having enough server space to support it right of the bat, which kind of creates a catch 22, and defeats the purpose...

I have to admit, I know very little about the subject and the pros and cons, but again, I'd be happy to pay for the service.

Hm... one other thing just came to mind... would the removal of the gratuitous posting of images that don't abide by the rules (ie: a billion pictures of the same subject, or screen shots, etc) perhaps help to lighten the load? I see these rules broken a lot, and no action is taken, but that may just be a lack of manpower to enforce them.

Cloudchaser

If I understand things correctly, FA's gonna be down for a few days instead of hours until the new server is in place?

Damn thing could've at least waited until I finished my journal post before crapping out again. I felt like what I do when a traffic light turns red right as I set my cruise control :p

oniontrain

Horror Generator
That sucks, I had Server 2003 take a complete shit on me a while back, I had to re-do everything, after replacing a bad HDD.

I'll donate some commission money to the server fund.

Dragoneer

Site Developer
Site Director
Administrator
All kidding aside, though, I personally would be willing to pay a subscription fee to the site, FA helps me a bunch with getting word out about commissions, etc.
We're looking into something like that in the future, but if we go that route we will NOT remove any functionality from the site. On a personal level I loathe DeviantArt because it's a pain in the ass to use unless you pay. If we did something like that it would be to allow userpage customizations and other little nifty features that you could use to personalize your FA without reducing functionality from other people.
Hm... one other thing just came to mind... would the removal of the gratuitous posting of images that don't abide by the rules (ie: a billion pictures of the same subject, or screen shots, etc) perhaps help to lighten the load? I see these rules broken a lot, and no action is taken, but that may just be a lack of manpower to enforce them.
It would help a bit, but not as much as you'd think. We've already got some rules in the works to address some issues like that, but more on that... well, later.

Ceceil Felias

Never have I seen fail so huge
If my own server hardware wasn't A. outdated, and B. horribly low-budget to begin with (no PCI-X ports and non-rackmount build, lol wut), I'd gladly offer anything as a stopgap measure. In the meantime, though, I can only hope you can get the server ordered without too much pain, or at the very least locate the fault through elimination and replace the damaged hardware.

wolfmagik

Media Slave
Let me calculate my finances, and I'll give all I can. I like FA WAY to much to see something like this happen and not DO something about it. I'll be able to load some money on my debit card most likely tomorrow... expect something around the weekend from me at the latest. I'm building a computer at the moment (piece by piece) and the next part I was going to order costs around $130. I can push that back until next paycheck and just use that cash for FA. Wouldn't hurt me much; it would just mean I have to push back my planned date of completion a couple weeks.

Oh, and referring to an earlier post, if you DO make a subscription service, why not make the ads optional if you pay?

Last edited:

rednec0

We're looking into something like that in the future, but if we go that route we will NOT remove any functionality from the site. On a personal level I loathe DeviantArt because it's a pain in the ass to use unless you pay. If we did something like that it would be to allow userpage customizations and other little nifty features that you could use to personalize your FA without reducing functionality from other people.

hmm, i could see that working to an extent, especially with some of the big name artists on here who get commissioned a lot. user page personalization is a good idea with the whole subscription thing.

Numinak

SneakySneaky!
I wish I could offer what I have. I have a workstation class computer that doubles as a server as well. IBM dual Xeon machine. But I th ink it'd probably cost as much to ship the bugger to you as it would to get a new one. Soon as I get some cash, I'll be getting some donated to ya.

Rafeal

Lion Extra-ordinary
I still like the fact that if EVERYONE could donate $1 it would go a VERY long way to helping this out...

Rafeal

Trip

House tiger
Well, I donated a little. I hope it helps! All this downtime has become terribly frustrating for me, so I can only imagine what you folks in charge are going through.

Here's hoping things get sorted out soon! :)

Why not go the same route as eBay? You could make PayPal the usual way to pay for commissions on FA, and take interest for bringing artists together with people that have money. Of course without taking all the free pic posting and viewing abilities from us.

Yes, and I repay them it with imaginary internets.

Careful Apocalymon might take the imaginary internets.

and the serves seems like him, "Ultimate evil, complete with hot and cold running water".

Careful Apocalymon might take the imaginary internets.

and the serves seems like him, "Ultimate evil, complete with hot and cold running water".

Also this previous post seems ridculus and I forgot how to ask on how to do the donation.

Kobo-Kun

Well, good luck ya guys, and thanks for all ya have done already. ;-)

*Someone who needs to get a Paypal*

Status
Not open for further replies.