• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Server Hardware Fault

Status
Not open for further replies.

YuchiDaYena

Teh Mobster Yena
No offense guys,
But just sitting here complaining is not gonna get this done any faster.
Try and go have a life maybe? Clean house, work on art?

All your OFF TOPIC complains is drifting people away from the updates the admins are giving /:

Gutierrez

Draconic Laconic
so just curiouse what is the current status on everything?

Yeah, we've been on the phones for a while here. Takes us to the big board and let us know the grand total sometime, if you can. I know y'all have [FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1]$3,187.00 in Amazon, but how are the Paypal coffers looking?[/SIZE][/FONT]

Kraton

Single Wolf
Artdecaderoo said it exactly. I too make a lot of my living off of art (drawing dicks for a living IS awesome!!! :D) and my sales have gone soft like a limp noodle since FA went down. What's worse is that despite my telling clients NOT to give me links to FA for their art references, they do it anyways! So, now it will be much harder to work on commissions unless they reply back to my emails and attach the reference pictures, which a lot of them won't do. So, there go my deadlines out the window. Also, since the majority of my clients are on FA, it is very hard to update them on commission status, since I know they never actually check the queue that I have set up on ArtSpots and mass emailing all my clients never seems to work. Well, I guess I'l consider this a little break in art for a bit. :)

Thus, as for FA being a paid site, I would gladly pay a yearly fee to use FA. FA has been the biggest help to me in sales and communication with clients for years now and it is very valuable to me.

However, I have been reading some ideas in posts about FA taking a certain percentage of artist's commission income to support the site. Umm... no. Sorry, but as an artist, I'm against that idea. :) My money is MY money, and you try making a lot of your income off art. It's hard. :) Yes, I do have a "real" job too, but still, I don't think a percentage should go to anyone but the artist UNLESS FA has some management services for artists to help promote them out there and help get them more sales. However, I do think a yearly fee would be a very good idea. Given how many thousands of people use FA, a yearly fee should really help out a lot, plus other donations that they get throughout the year. Also, I don't think FA getting a percentage of artist's income would work very well anyway, as I know I and a ton of other artists use Furbid and FurBuy to post our auctions, and we post the links to our FA journals. I don't sell via FA, I sell via the auction sites and advertise via FA.

Lastly, as for doing a commission to help with donations right now, I'd be super happy to open up a con badge slot. I just don't know if anyone would want that slot. They'd have to wait until the holidays until I can finally work on their badge (as I said above, I have a long waiting list) and my badges cost $50 (for the high-detailed work with fur texture). Example seen here: http://spiritcreations.artspots.com/image/16918/thelonious However, that would be the only way I can donate as I'm completely broke myself right now.

Good luck getting everything back online guys! :)

Personally I think subscriptions are only a good option if it allows EXTRA bonuses to those who subscribe, without changing anything about the site for those who don't. For instance, if you subscribe, it would be nice to be able to advertise better on the site for those who make a living off of commissions, or something like that.
Because although not everyone right now makes a living off of art they sell through FA, newer artists might still join the ranks of those people. I for one am not prepared to sell my art yet, but I might eventually. So if subscribing and doing commissions work hand in hand, then all the better for both the artists and the site moderators.

However, the point I feel MOST strongly about is that FurAffinity as it is now should remain free to everyone. I'd like to think of subscribing more as donating money and receiving some sort of bonus for donating. But it shouldn't be NEEDED to be a member of FA.

Oh, and sorry, cause I know that this was stated before, probably countless times. XD

Kraton

Single Wolf
No offense guys,
But just sitting here complaining is not gonna get this done any faster.
Try and go have a life maybe? Clean house, work on art?

All your OFF TOPIC complains is drifting people away from the updates the admins are giving /:

So true. I for one am packing clothes in large bags for my move. ^^

I wish the admins the best of luck with this issue. :rolleyes:

salmy

Loner Cheetah not wolf! :P
Commissions vary for me, as our economy isn't as great and well, I'm not "best" artist compared to some others, so it makes it a lot harder. Plus Not everyone on FA is an artist doing commissions, as soon as FA decides charging monthly, you will kill a lot of traffic toward FA, which will hurt a lot of us artist who are making money based on commissions.

I really don't know what would the most fair solution be, but it's clear that something like FA can't be run just by two people with their own lives that clearly don't have the resources and time to give a decent service.

Wouldn't it be best for everybody that Dragoneer and Yak had an income so they could dedicate their lives to FA?

When a website is SO popular it becomes a public service, just like google or yahoo or youtube. I *never* suggested that FA became a pay site. I'm just saying that those who earn money *thanks* to FA should be /charged/ for it, because if this page didn't exist, they wouldn't have become popular and they wouldn't earn nearly as much money as they do.

Now what's the scale? How much should Blotch be charged? How much should regular-artist-with-a-small-fandom-that-charges-5-for-a-sketch-and-gets-2-every-4-months be charged? Yes, it's a *tough* decision, it's something to think about, and people are really being generous donating up to 4000 for server hardware, but after this issue, there will be *other* issues, every other week, every other month. Are they going to ask for 4000 bucks every month now? What if this doesn't solve the problem?

Admins/owners here should make a living off it or hire people to mantain the site in a professional manner. This is not a kid's game, it's not a two-people website anymore. It has thousands of users, millions of daily pageviews, tons of bandwith... let's be fair and face these facts:

1 - A lot of people is making profit off FA, even if it's not the admins, and I doubt that even a 5% of them is donating a buck for this cause.

2 - There are TWO people to run a site like this, two people who have their own lives and barely have time to dedicate to it as there's more stuff in their lives.

3 - Thousands of users who are furry and come here everyday to see their favorite furry art, contact artists, make a comunity, can't enjoy their sandw... err, their site. Today for a db issue, tomorrow for a hardware crash, yesterday because nobody would answer at the datacenter.

What's SO bad about FA still being free for the users, but a pay site for those who EARN money off it? Where's the big deal? Where's the unfairness? Of course some artists don't earn anything or not enough, but some others could really get 2,3,5 bucks per month so they could keep getting commissions, it's only fair! Those who can't, well... find a way to make it fair for everybody, I'm not the admin! If I was, believe me that I would have either found a way for this to work properly or would have sold/given it to someone who really cares.

Dunno if I'll get a ban for expressing my opinion, or if I'll be called a troll. I hope not, but it's like... c'mon, people. Don't say it's free cuz there's banners and donations. Nothing is free in this life, unfortunately. Find more consistent ways of getting funds and we'll all be happy in the end.

Last edited by a moderator:

JAH2000

drunken wolf master
well im not going to bother the staff by bitching im just going to say good luck

salmy

Just a little addition to my previous post, so I don't have to edit it, and it just has to do with a supposed solution for the fees issue:

Don't charge /all/ artists who do comissions. Charge only artists who do commissions AND have more than X pageviews/watchers/favorites. This way only good artists who get the most off comissions would have to pay a fee. Still, it doesn't need to be a high fee. Admins know how much FA costs every month. They can do the math and I'm sure they could come up with something that would be rediculous for a fee but that would actually cover FA's needs.

Redregon

Banned
Banned
well, i'm for a subscription idea that'll get you perks, but if it comes down to FA taking a slice of my direct commissions (print sales through Rabbit Valley i'm not against as that's a business arrangement) i will make commission sales elsewhere... and i know i'm not alone in that respect.

if a mandatory fee were to be implemented, it will drive a lot of people away.

and besides, why are so many people here keen on taxing the artists? what about the viewers? i mean, without the artists and writers, this entire site is just a clusterfuck of people chatting. it wouldn't be an art/writing site at all.

paying for perks, yes. i agree with that. something like weekly spotlights, direct sales links to art on the artists site (without having to surf through to RV) or even something small like more icon flexibility or something like that.

but charging artists directly with no concern for their finances will drive a lot of artists away and this site will degenerate into a y-gallery kinda deal. if that were the case, i would keep my free account and do all my business through another site like my own or furbid or whatever.

nevermind the shitstorm of drama that will certainly ensue...

there is a need for more income, this site has worked fairly well, but in times like this, it's obvious that a little income here and there would help prevent issues like these from becoming massive problems whereas they'd be able to just be slight inconveniences.

Redregon

Banned
Banned
Just a little addition to my previous post, so I don't have to edit it, and it just has to do with a supposed solution for the fees issue:

Don't charge /all/ artists who do comissions. Charge only artists who do commissions AND have more than X pageviews/watchers/favorites. This way only good artists who get the most off comissions would have to pay a fee. Still, it doesn't need to be a high fee. Admins know how much FA costs every month. They can do the math and I'm sure they could come up with something that would be rediculous for a fee but that would actually cover FA's needs.

do you think the artists like Blotch, Spirit Creations or Artdecade would stick around for that?

my guess is very likely not.

besides... what would stop them from trimming their gallery and just redirecting people to their own sites? don't forget, a lot of artists have actual sites for their art and aren't 100% reliant on FA for storage and display of their work.

and WHOO!!! 50th page post!

Kraton

Single Wolf
@Salmy: I agree that it isn't really "free" but it IS choice based. My art, though plenty have told me they like it, I say it sucks. It's not good enough to earn any money at all, and what's worse is that I now don't have a scanner and need to buy one to submit any art. I don't have a tablet either, and I don't have photoshop. My best art comes from pencil+paper, but even that I can't do anymore. So forcing people to pay money would be very bad, as FA would lose likely 90% if not more of it's members.

Though, don't get me wrong, you didn't say anyone should be forced to pay, but those who can make a living from JUST commissions... well that's obviously a lot of money earned from art they made for free. It's free money, is what it is. And everyone else has to work for their money: the mods, the artists that buy commissions. There's three groups of people here (Admins who work outside jobs to keep the site running, artists who work outside jobs to buy art, and artist who sit and draw for hours to sell art for pretty much free money), and it's not fair to two of them.

My suggestion, though not likely that anyone will do this out of the kindness of their hearts, is that those who make a living solely off of commissions should donate a fair amount from their earnings to keep the site up and running, and to keep THEIR OWN earnings coming in.
For instance, I don't like having others paying for my art. That idea sickens me cause my art was free for me to make. I'd still pay for other's art if I really wanted it, AND I would donate money whenever I can to keep the site "free" to others. But all this would require an outside job, one that can pay for my living as well as supply a little extra every month or so for DONATIONS to FA.
THAT's out of the kindness of my heart.

For those who sit on their asses for hours every day to make digital art that was free for them to make and sell that for a tonne of money, and then refuse to donate (not that it should be forced...), THAT's not kind at all, that's taking advantage of FA. I may not be an admin, but even I won't stand for that.
The only thing that needs to be changed here is the greediness of those using FA for their living. If you donate, then awesome, you're very kind. If you're laughing your head off as you screw FA for money, that's not acceptable. If you actually CAN'T pay, then fine, but I KNOW there are plenty out there who are using FA just to make money from selling digital penises. >.>

And... I've got to stop posting such huge posts. v_v

Kraton

Single Wolf
Or, here is an idea (which I might just do myself, once I can actually submit art):
For those who create commissions to sell, instead of setting a price and selling it, try letting your buyers DECIDE how much your art is worth to them. Basically, donating to others to create art.
It's the same thing with what's happening with the music industry. Bands are creating and publishing their own music and selling it for what their listeners think it's worth.
Those who really like the art and will want to see more will DEFINITELY donate for more art, because if they don't, the artist can't AFFORD to make more.

If anyone here reads CTRL+ALT+DELETE (CAD), the webcomic, they know this idea pretty well. Tim Buckley works that way. He makes a LIVING from what he does, but every cent he makes is from those who donate to see more. His real fans.
And personally, I'd do that any day for artists who have impressed me.
I'd pay money just to see them make more, because I don't want to see their art career end.

salmy

if it comes down to FA taking a slice of my direct commissions i will make commission sales elsewhere... and i know i'm not alone in that respect. if a mandatory fee were to be implemented, it will drive a lot of people away.

and besides, why are so many people here keen on taxing the artists? what about the viewers? i mean, without the artists and writers, this entire site is just a clusterfuck of people chatting. it wouldn't be an art/writing site at all.
(...snip...)

if that were the case, i would keep my free account and do all my business through another site like my own or furbid or whatever.

I'm sorry, but nothing of what you've said here sounds fair at all for me :/ Taxing the viewers? xD You must be kidding! Who would buy a commision from you if we can't see your art before hand?

So, FA is good as long as you can make money off it, but if you have to *share* a little of that money back to him, that's not good, huh?

Is it just me only or this sounds a little bit egoist?

The good thing about FA is that I don't have to keep track of all of my artists that have their galleries in their own sites or in other sites all around the world. FA is big, it's useful, it has a way of working that pleases me and a lot of people. I'm sure many artists became known thanks to FA. People can post the biggest crap and nobody will complain, or they can post the most wonderful piece of art and it will get a lof of possitive comments. It's a safe place for *any* kind of artist in that way.

But of course, it's not worth to be payed back in any way.

What I don't understand is why you think it's cool to pay RabbitValley or Furbid for their service or your host company for your site and that you think that it's not cool to pay FA... it's like.... why? o_O

Gutierrez

Draconic Laconic
??? lol im lost and confuzzled X.x

Just a miss, apparently. Was comparing the server drive to the PBS funding drives. But could we get a total of what donations have been received between both Amazon and Paypal? Would be nice to see the full amount. And just a suggestion, I think FA needs a nice commemorative server crash tote to give away for every donation over a certain amount.

Echo_wulf

I personaly think we are trying to overflood them with ideas .... i think they already have a plan set for the future snd right now their only goal is to get the new server and get it up and running.... there was a reason fa was founded asa free site. nd its more awesome because of it and in order to make some money off it to up the goods ^.^ i think is very important. wich is why i think they were going to do the paid custom page thing and i know enoughartistsvwould do that enough for fa to make a great prophet. no need to turn this into another deviant.... cuz im sure someone would just make another site... cuz i really hate da myself...

Echo_wulf

Just a miss, apparently. Was comparing the server drive to the PBS funding drives. But could we get a total of what donations have been received between both Amazon and Paypal? Would be nice to see the full amount. And just a suggestion, I think FA needs a nice commemorative server crash tote to give away for every donation over a certain amount.
yeah that would be nice to know and lol thats a funny idea but im sure they may keep em for parts just in case

Redregon

Banned
Banned
I'm sorry, but nothing of what you've said here sounds fair at all for me :/ Taxing the viewers? xD You must be kidding! Who would buy a commision from you if we can't see your art before hand?

So, FA is good as long as you can make money off it, but if you have to *share* a little of that money back to him, that's not good, huh?

Is it just me only or this sounds a little bit egoist?

The good thing about FA is that I don't have to keep track of all of my artists that have their galleries in their own sites or in other sites all around the world. FA is big, it's useful, it has a way of working that pleases me and a lot of people. I'm sure many artists became known thanks to FA. People can post the biggest crap and nobody will complain, or they can post the most wonderful piece of art and it will get a lof of possitive comments. It's a safe place for *any* kind of artist in that way.

But of course, it's not worth to be payed back in any way.

What I don't understand is why you think it's cool to pay RabbitValley or Furbid for their service or your host company for your site and that you think that it's not cool to pay FA... it's like.... why? o_O

okay, 1. calling me egotistical is not going to get your point across better, it's only going to make you look like a bit of a douche.

i would support Rabbit Valley taking a slice on behalf of FA since they're the ones printing, getting paper, paying for ink, shipping, that kinda thing. when i do my own direct commissions, the material is all stuff that i've paid for. which means that it's all done on my own dollar. it's not egoist, it's business sense.

i've said it before, i'm more than willing to pay for a subscription if it means that there will be perks or whatever, but if i have to pay simply to take commissions, i'll just find another site.

nevermind how the whole "tax the artists" has been debated back and forth ad-nauseum by this point and the general consensus is that it's not a good idea. i'd suggest reading back through the entire post before continuing.

Kraton

Single Wolf
I personaly think we are trying to overflood them with ideas .... i think they already have a plan set for the future snd right now their only goal is to get the new server and get it up and running.... there was a reason fa was founded asa free site. nd its more awesome because of it and in order to make some money off it to up the goods ^.^ i think is very important. wich is why i think they were going to do the paid custom page thing and i know enoughartistsvwould do that enough for fa to make a great prophet. no need to turn this into another deviant.... cuz im sure someone would just make another site... cuz i really hate da myself...

*smiles* me too. I totally agree with everything you just said. They're the mods, after all. They don't need us to make their decisions for them.
And, although we have no idea what we could do with customizing profile pages, I for one would pay for that upgrade.
In fact, though my word may not be worth much here, as soon as I move and get a job (it shouldn't take more than a week or two to get a job. I'm moving on the 6th), I'll start donating, just cause I want to see this site remain free to viewers. ^_^

As for DA, heh, I left there for the same reason, and more. And so I don't want to see FA become another DA.
Because DA stands for DumbAsses. XD

Oh... I'll have to sign up for a paypal account, too. Wonder if that'll be user-friendly enough...

Last edited:

snake_mearano

I agree with the idea of charging a fee for subscription, kind of like how Deviantart does it. Even though Deviantart is... Deviantart. It's free for those who want basic usability, posting and submitting and what have you, but if you want real exposure to those who matter, print setups and all that, you pay a fee. : ) Even if it's not much.

Personally I also beleive that because this -is- a free site, we should be thankful and happy for whatever two guys and a server can give us. Honestly it doesn't surprise me that hardware begins to fail. It always fails, eventually. Nothing is forever, but fixing it can be a real three-prong pain in the butt. Specifically because hardware isn't cheap. So honestly I'm thankful for everyone who's already donated. I will in a few short days as my paypal account verifies my bank account. ^_^

I've only recently started adding my artwork to this site, I originally lurked on here as a mere viewer until I added everything, and received a quite warm welcome. So yes, I fully intend to help out the cause, as a FA-head, and an artist.

For everything that's already come from this site, I'm thankful enough. : )
Any more would be a blessing.

Riguel

Graphic Artist/N64 Programmer
well, i'm for a subscription idea that'll get you perks, but if it comes down to FA taking a slice of my direct commissions (print sales through Rabbit Valley i'm not against as that's a business arrangement) i will make commission sales elsewhere... and i know i'm not alone in that respect.

if a mandatory fee were to be implemented, it will drive a lot of people away.

paying for perks, yes. i agree with that. something like weekly spotlights, direct sales links to art on the artists site (without having to surf through to RV) or even something small like more icon flexibility or something like that.

but charging artists directly with no concern for their finances will drive a lot of artists away and this site will degenerate into a y-gallery kinda deal. if that were the case, i would keep my free account and do all my business through another site like my own or furbid or whatever.

nevermind the shitstorm of drama that will certainly ensue...

there is a need for more income, this site has worked fairly well, but in times like this, it's obvious that a little income here and there would help prevent issues like these from becoming massive problems whereas they'd be able to just be slight inconveniences.
Honestly I couldn't agree with you more, a subscription is a great idea, Deviantart does something like, still allowing users to make free accounts but also have the option for a subscribed account. This would be probably be the best option for FA to go by. But if it ends up they charge everyone a fee monthly to stay at their site then no I'm not even going to stay(as much as that hurts to say it), I'd go back to Deviantart or start my own site through freeforums.org(free website/hosting). Seriously you can't beat that! I'm totally against FA charging monthly fees, especially if its going to be aimed only at artist, cause then that won't be fair for the other users to get off scottfree while we pay to keep the site alive. That just doesn't seem fair in my opinion.

Kraton

Single Wolf
okay, 1. calling me egotistical is not going to get your point across better, it's only going to make you look like a bit of a douche.

I hope you guys don't start an insulting frenzy. That would kill the point of this thread completely.
Be nice guys, kay? ^_^

Status
Not open for further replies.